• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W203 - how to give it more "life" ?

Guest Spidy

Guest vratenza

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TUNING-GRILLE-MERCEDES-W203-SPORTS-C240-C320-SILVER-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2308d857e4QQitemZ150472251364QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

this is the 3 fin full chrome you are looking for?

Anyway, if you get from them, make sure you get the replacement hood latch in the package.

It's because after you install your front grill, the original hood latch is too short to function properly...need a longer replacement piece.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry... My bad... This is the correct one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-W203-Grill-C230-C320-C240-Grille-3-Fins-CH-MB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3eff6d073fQQitemZ270573307711QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4724wt_818

Seems like they got their pic from 55tech, but can't find it from their website.

Anyone using a full chrome grill here?

Btw, bro vratenza, is the replacement hood latch thing a standard for all aftermarket grills?

Guest vratenza

snappy wrote:

Sorry... My bad... This is the correct one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-W203-Grill-C230-C320-C240-Grille-3-Fins-CH-MB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3eff6d073fQQitemZ270573307711QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4724wt_818

Seems like they got their pic from 55tech, but can't find it from their website.

Anyone using a full chrome grill here?

Btw, bro vratenza, is the replacement hood latch thing a standard for all aftermarket grills?

I'm not too sure if it is standard, but if you do alittle research .... it is definitely required and the one I got from 55tech comes with it.

Here is a good DIY thread that shows you how to DIY step by step. (must register and log in to see the pictures)

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/112155-how-do-i-replace-hood-latch-made-cl-grille.html

Hope this helps!:becky:

Guest vratenza

snappy wrote:

Thanks bro!

Still deciding on whether to go for sliver/chrome, or full chrome...

try, search for pictures of w203 with the different grill mods on the US bases mb forums....the guys over there mod their merc more than our local population where 80% of merc owners just buy, drive, pump,service, sell, period.

The different pictures helps in visualising how ur car will look like even if the grill may be slightly different..... If u are apt at photoshop, it will be even better ;)

vratenza wrote:

try, search for pictures of w203 with the different grill mods on the US bases mb forums....the guys over there mod their merc more than our local population where 80% of merc owners just buy, drive, pump,service, sell, period.

The different pictures helps in visualising how ur car will look like even if the grill may be slightly different..... If u are apt at photoshop, it will be even better ;)

Have seen a W204 with the original 3 fin grill today, grey/chrome. Looks neat and modern. But dun think 55tech has this combination. They only have black/chrome, silver/chrome.

Ordered a 3 fin silver/chrome grill from 55tech yesterday. After my order, received a confirmation email from Jason Kuo(should be the boss of 55tech). I remember seeing his nick jskuo on ebay.

Upon checking at ebay.com, realised that they are selling about US$15 cheaper at ebay!!! Sianz...

Guest kepiting1sg

snappy wrote:

Ordered a 3 fin silver/chrome grill from 55tech yesterday. After my order, received a confirmation email from Jason Kuo(should be the boss of 55tech). I remember seeing his nick jskuo on ebay.

Upon checking at ebay.com, realised that they are selling about US$15 cheaper at ebay!!! Sianz...

Must do homework when ordering over the net!

eBay a good place to trawl for info.

sometimes U get really good bargains but buyer has to be careful.

I bought over 600+ times over eBay from 500 sellers.

Hardly any big issue with very few exceptions (less than 3) but nothing "big"

Guest vratenza

snappy wrote:

if that is really the case, can email him about it. sometimes it's because they forget to update their website when they have price reduction. Most likely they will honor the lower price if they are really from same company.

when i bought mine, i checked both ebay and 55tech.com, the same price leh.

good luck!

vratenza wrote:

if that is really the case, can email him about it. sometimes it's because they forget to update their website when they have price reduction. Most likely they will honor the lower price if they are really from same company.

when i bought mine, i checked both ebay and 55tech.com, the same price leh.

good luck!

I emailed him on the price differences yesterday. This morning, he replied and agree to refund US$15, which is the exact price difference. Kudos to 55tech for good customer service!

Today just spent $500 on my white light operation... The end result is really satisfying! :)

Guest vratenza

snappy wrote:

I emailed him on the price differences yesterday. This morning, he replied and agree to refund US$15, which is the exact price difference. Kudos to 55tech for good customer service!

Today just spent $500 on my white light operation... The end result is really satisfying! :)

Glad your grill purchase went well!

Can share on your white light operation? Where you get from, the lights you changed? I am considering doing it as well!

vratenza wrote:

Glad your grill purchase went well!

Can share on your white light operation? Where you get from, the lights you changed? I am considering doing it as well!

Thanks! The following are the lights I changed:

- Headlights to 8K HID (Korean)

- Foglights to 8K HID (Korean)

- Pole lights

- Dome lights

- courtesy lights below door

- Reading lights

- glove compartment lights

- license plate lights

Used back one pair of ballast and 2 sets of LEDs from my previous ride. He did not charged me additional labour for that. Took about 3 hours. Front pole light and rear license plate lights need splicing to add resistor for error free. The workmanship was superb, all mods are concealed properly. Even the ballasts for the headlights was hidden from view.

His nick is BlackGod, advertised at most forums. The HiDs have a 1 year warranty. Highly recommended!

Guest blackmercs

snappy wrote:

- Pole lights

- Dome lights

- Reading lights

- license plate lights

8K HID isnt it too blueish? Pics, pics, pics

Guest vratenza

snappy wrote:

- Pole lights

- Dome lights

- Reading lights

- license plate lights

Used back one pair of ballast and 2 sets of LEDs from my previous ride. He did not charged me additional labour for that. Took about 3 hours. Front pole light and rear license plate lights need splicing to add resistor for error free. The workmanship was superb, all mods are concealed properly. Even the ballasts for the headlights was hidden from view.

His nick is BlackGod, advertised at most forums. The HiDs have a 1 year warranty. Highly recommended!

I prefer 6K HID but I guess it's personal:becky: Does this BlackGod have 6K?

Does he have any website? Link?

Did you change to projector head lamp casing or used the reflector headlamp casing? I'm afraid if use HID on reflectors can blind the car in front if beam is not adjusted properly.

I'm thinking of getting the projector headlamp casing before adding the HID...still doing research on which headlamp casing to get...

Guest kepiting1sg

vratenza wrote:

Did you change to projector head lamp casing or used the reflector headlamp casing? I'm afraid if use HID on reflectors can blind the car in front if beam is not adjusted properly.

I'm thinking of getting the projector headlamp casing before adding the HID...still doing research on which headlamp casing to get...

I guess U are right it depends what rocks one's boat....hehehe!

IMHO,

1.6000k is near to sunlight and natural.

As U go up the lamp kelvin color temp, the lumens get lesser ending up lesser throw of light though it appears to be very bright.

One school of thoughts nvm - cos dun drive up to MY & in Sillypore with the bright road lamps 6000k or 8000k even 10000k dun make any diff.

Maybe that's one reason why HID bulb manufacturer like Philips do not make any HID bulbs more than 6000k color temp.

2. For W203 might as well get Projector head lamps with Xenon i.e using

D1S bulbs & not Halogen H7 or converting the H7 with aft mkt HIDs.

Having projector headlamps also helps not getting problem from the authorities as it could be seen like oem.

3. Last but not least, I m old and like an old broken record keep repeating myself. Original Philips HID be it D1 or D2 or after market H7, H11 are the best.

Not that they are good cos they cost a bomb but there is a phenomenon with after mkt HIDs but not ORIGINAL PHILIPS. They cause an effect call outgassing.

Long term usage will lead to corrosion of the headlamp reflective lining.

I've been playing with HIDs for a decade and I started with Korean HIDs eg. Supervision. Got them on my other ride a Prado. Last year I had to change both the headlamps cos like I said, the reflective lining were all corroded.

I guess if U are not keeping your car long, should be alright cos this effect normally appears after 2 to 3 years like cancer. Killing U slowly!...hehehe!:becky:

Outgassing is gases given off by the lamps materials and coatings that discolour the reflective surfaces of your headllights)

outgassing%20300hours.JPG

Poor ....................Very Poor........... Perfect

My Rp2 worth of IMHXXXO....hahahaha!:Cry:

vratenza wrote:

Can try this link:

http://rx8clubsingapore.com/viewtopic.php?p=57252&sid=8dcc371d8e6d18aa9b27a07c672ec66d

He has 6K also. Don't really like 6K as it is just plain white. 8K has a slight blue tinge which is not very obvious, and still shines bright enough for the road. Of course when it comes to LTA inspection, most likely will fail.

The setup of W203's headlight is almost similar to Honda Civic FD. For Civic FD1 and FD2, it comes with standard HID. No projector lamp. But there is a cover in front of the bulb, which prevents the HID from being too glaring. For cars without this cover, will definitely blind those in front. Fortunately, W203 has this cover for the headlight and foglight. So, no need to worry about being a pest on the road... :)

5036503058_1d51e8213a.jpg

5035885903_ae6e758688.jpg

Don't really like the look of the projector headlight. IMHO, it seems to degrade the car. Also, whether the headlight can withstand the scorching heat in Sg is another issue. It might become yellowish.

i bought a $80 made in china set, DIY and fixed in 20 mins, everything looks swee swee but then realised that the original lamp reflector has cast some scattered lights by the HID all over the place. now contemplating if i should change to a projector lens, but seems to be quite ex at $400+

anyone has any cheaper source?

Guest vratenza

kepiting1sg wrote:

I guess U are right it depends what rocks one's boat....hehehe!

IMHO,

1.6000k is near to sunlight and natural.

As U go up the lamp kelvin color temp, the lumens get lesser ending up lesser throw of light though it appears to be very bright.

One school of thoughts nvm - cos dun drive up to MY & in Sillypore with the bright road lamps 6000k or 8000k even 10000k dun make any diff.

Maybe that's one reason why HID bulb manufacturer like Philips do not make any HID bulbs more than 6000k color temp.

2. For W203 might as well get Projector head lamps with Xenon i.e using

D1S bulbs & not Halogen H7 or converting the H7 with aft mkt HIDs.

Having projector headlamps also helps not getting problem from the authorities as it could be seen like oem.

3. Last but not least, I m old and like an old broken record keep repeating myself. Original Philips HID be it D1 or D2 or after market H7, H11 are the best.

Not that they are good cos they cost a bomb but there is a phenomenon with after mkt HIDs but not ORIGINAL PHILIPS. They cause an effect call outgassing.

Long term usage will lead to corrosion of the headlamp reflective lining.

I've been playing with HIDs for a decade and I started with Korean HIDs eg. Supervision. Got them on my other ride a Prado. Last year I had to change both the headlamps cos like I said, the reflective lining were all corroded.

I guess if U are not keeping your car long, should be alright cos this effect normally appears after 2 to 3 years like cancer. Killing U slowly!...hehehe!:becky:

Outgassing is gases given off by the lamps materials and coatings that discolour the reflective surfaces of your headllights)

outgassing%20300hours.JPG

Poor ....................Very Poor........... Perfect

My Rp2 worth of IMHXXXO....hahahaha!:Cry:

Hi! Thanks for the input. Really appreciate your sharing of the invaluable experience to save us newbies from going down a 'waste time, waste money' route...haha!

From what i had read previously, you used to own a w203 right?

What do you recommend for the projector + xenon route?

1) original MB projector + bixenon set --> best guranteed quality but $$$.... I read that it can cost >$2k++ but does it include self levellers or use back the stock manual low beam leveller?

2) aftermarket projector + phillips xenon --> easier on the pocket but worried about the quality of the projector lampclear casing which may yellow over time. i read that the most popular aftermarket projectors are from 'Depo' but may not avoid the yellowing issue. I figure if the depos can withstand yellowing for 2-3yrs, i can budget in another replacement set when they turn yellow after that time. The worrying thing is they only last 1yr max...than I might as well go original.

Either options will require star diagnostic to activate the xenon function?

Guest vratenza

j888 wrote:

i bought a $80 made in china set, DIY and fixed in 20 mins, everything looks swee swee but then realised that the original lamp reflector has cast some scattered lights by the HID all over the place. now contemplating if i should change to a projector lens, but seems to be quite ex at $400+

anyone has any cheaper source?

when u diy your china set, did you need to remove the bumper? I read up on how to access the headlamp online and seem like need to remove the bumper...not tough but if can avoid best!

How's the quality of the clear headlamp plastic from the china set? How long it takes to yellow? Even original mb headlamps will yellow after 3-4 years under our strong uv intensity!

Today's heavy rain let me realise one thing, that W203 has bad insulation for the roof... Will be going for my next project... soundproofing the roof.

Has anyone installed window visors for their ride? Weathertech seems like a good choice.

Guest vratenza

snappy wrote:

Today's heavy rain let me realise one thing, that W203 has bad insulation for the roof... Will be going for my next project... soundproofing the roof.

Has anyone installed window visors for their ride? Weathertech seems like a good choice.

If you hate sounds in your ride, I strongly advise against window visors as they will have wind vibration noise from 90-100kph onwards....the principle is the same for all brands and design.

Had it once on a car I used to drive many years ago and since then avoid them like plague.

:whistle:

Guest vratenza

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BALLAST-MOUNTED-01-05-06-07-MERCEDES-W203-HID-HEADLIGHT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b53e9aeaQQitemZ170544503530QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

this one seem good for true plug and play....include the bulbs and ballast and the stock harness can just plug into the plug provided. Very stealth...and I doubt LTA can sniff it out during inspection...

I'm still checking with them if these comes in RHD....

Guest kepiting1sg

vratenza wrote:

Hi! Thanks for the input. Really appreciate your sharing of the invaluable experience to save us newbies from going down a 'waste time, waste money' route...haha!

From what i had read previously, you used to own a w203 right?

What do you recommend for the projector + xenon route?

1) original MB projector + bixenon set --> best guranteed quality but $$$.... I read that it can cost >$2k++ but does it include self levellers or use back the stock manual low beam leveller?

2) aftermarket projector + phillips xenon --> easier on the pocket but worried about the quality of the projector lampclear casing which may yellow over time. i read that the most popular aftermarket projectors are from 'Depo' but may not avoid the yellowing issue. I figure if the depos can withstand yellowing for 2-3yrs, i can budget in another replacement set when they turn yellow after that time. The worrying thing is they only last 1yr max...than I might as well go original.

Either options will require star diagnostic to activate the xenon function?

My previous W203, I did Option1 from Benzline @ $2k++ - no more levellers but the installer set up the lamps height manually. I sold my W203 to my brother and the car is now 6+ yrs. The original Projector Headlamps are also 6+ years, no yellowing and the original bulbs Xenon D1S 5000k bulbs are still as bright as day 1. (there are 2 oem - Hella & Borsch)

Licence Plate lights, all internal lights, I Diyed all to white LEDs.

If on a budget, still go for Option 2 at least on the outside no body from LTA/TP/Vicom will know whether yours is original Xenon or not even with the Philips H7 and ballast hidden away.

If on the non-xenon headlamps, 1 look at the bulbs, U can tell it's

after mkt H7 HIDs.

Original aft mkt Philips 6000k H7 with serial number & warranty cert cost about S$300+

I can get cheap H7 HID set for <$100.

In my previous FL W211 with original Xenon - I changed the stk Low beam Xenon D1S 5000k to Philips D1S 6000k. They cost $500 + 7% GST a pair at Benzline (Japanese packaging) & an extra pair for $400+ (Europe Packaging) whereas a normal shop can sell U brandless, so call OEM Philips, Philip Burners, GE Burners as low as $170 a pair.

For the high beam, I got the Original Philips H7 and for the fog lamps I got cheapo <$100 H11 8000k after mkt HID set - I dun turn on the Fog lamps in SG.

Like I used to say, U get what U pay and I never has any regrets esp. the original Philips D1S or H7 6000k. IMHO the lights emitted are "beautiful"

For W203, U might have to go into Star Diagnostic to enable Xenon present.

Some car could have been preset Xenon present, some not.

My previous W203 has to go into star diagnostic to enable Xenon present.

It's just a few minutes job to do that by the workshop.

Mine was previously installed by Benzline appointed workshop.

Guest vratenza

kepiting1sg wrote:

Original aft mkt Philips 6000k H7 with serial number & warranty cert cost about S$300+

I can get cheap H7 HID set for <$100.

In my previous FL W211 with original Xenon - I changed the stk Low beam Xenon D1S 5000k to Philips D1S 6000k. They cost $500 + 7% GST a pair at Benzline (Japanese packaging) & an extra pair for $400+ (Europe Packaging) whereas a normal shop can sell U brandless, so call OEM Philips, Philip Burners, GE Burners as low as $170 a pair.

For the high beam, I got the Original Philips H7 and for the fog lamps I got cheapo <$100 H11 8000k after mkt HID set - I dun turn on the Fog lamps in SG.

Like I used to say, U get what U pay and I never has any regrets esp. the original Philips D1S or H7 6000k. IMHO the lights emitted are "beautiful"

I cannot find the D1S HID headlamp assembly for W203 on ebay, only D2S available.

I read that D1S is the improved version replacing D2S right? any difference in performance?

So if I really want D1S HID, that will mean I have to get the aftermarket projector headlamp (meant for use with H7 halogen bulbs) and then retrofit the D1S HID kit to it. The problem with this route is that the ballast may not be as stealth as a D2S HID equipped W203 projector headlamp set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BALLAST-MOUNTED-01-05-06-07-MERCEDES-W203-HID-HEADLIGHT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b53e9aeaQQitemZ170544503530QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories