• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Liverpool FC Daily News Thread

g8crasher

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK Times Online - http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/2008/10/forgive-me-ferg.html

2610alonsoceleafp_420420a1.jpg

October 28, 2008

Forgive me Fergie, for I have sinned.

This weekend I committed footballs equivalent of cheating on your partner with someone they completely despise, I wholeheartedly supported Liverpool. I greeted Xabi Alonso’s ‘wonder goal’ with a disturbing celebration – I cheered as Liverpool were winning.

What followed were the repercussions you may expect from someone who has just committed adultery. First came elation, Chelsea were getting beaten and I was delighted. Next, the regret and shame began to sink in as I thought about my criminal and in humane behvaiour. Finally, as the game passed me by in a blur I couldn’t believe what I had done; what the hell came over me?

Half time brought me some time to think and, like every adulterer worth there salt, I can declare; United fans, it’s not what you think.

I originally sat down to watch the game with only a passing interest in who would be keeping the top spot warm for when United finally get there. Then I got myself worked up – who do I support? United’s main rivals for the title or United’s main rivals full stop? After debating it for a while I remembered how much I hate John Terry and remembered that Liverpool, for all their early promise, will soon be back to the Liverpool of the last 18 years – possible title contenders, certainly not winners. Then, I said it quietly in my head – ‘I want Liverpool to win’.

As Alonso sent his thunderbolt past Cech a weird fusion of a girly squeal and an American style whoop came exploding out of me like an unwelcome burp. What was I doing? I mean, quietly supporting is fine but celebrating a Liverpool goal is a moment I never want to endure again. How Scousers do it every week beats me, the feeling of being in mortal danger of vomiting was too much. As I mentioned earlier, my foray into the depressing world of celebrating Liverpool goals was not what it seems. In supporting Liverpool, I was taking one for the team.

The way I see it, Liverpool’s new manager, Houdini, cannot keep conjuring up last minute wins and dramatic comebacks. Admittedly, they are 4 points better off than this time last year but they still lack the strength in depth to mount a sustainable challenge.

Chelsea, under Scolari seem to be a more direct and brutal animal than the machine which Mourinho manufactured. The way they have taken apart teams this season has been incredible and they are undoubtedly the team United need to beat. The fact that, before Sunday, no Chelsea player in the first 11 knew what it was like to lose in the league at Stamford Bridge could have serious repercussions for the season. The air of invincibility at Stamford Bridge has been removed after Liverpool’s well executed game plan and a knock on effect similar to what Arsenal suffered after there defeat on 49 games would be most welcome. In Arsenal’s seven league games immediately after the defeat, they drew with Chelsea, West Brom, Crystal Palace and Southampton whilst losing to Liverpool.

Realistically, I just cannot see how Liverpool will maintain any sort of title challenge and Chelsea remain the danger. Whilst Torres, Gerrard and (temporarily) Kuyt are playing well they have a chance. Once the comebacks don’t materialise and Rafa starts his Claudio ‘tinkerman’ Ranieri impression again, Liverpool will return to their rightful position of fourth (until City take that spot next season). So, this weekend whilst I may have been supporting Liverpool, I did so safe in the knowledge that it was the lesser of the two evils.

Forgive me Fergie, for I have sinned. Honestly though, like Liverpool’s win – it meant nothing.

Craig Malpas

oh, what nicely typed text!

When Liverpool beats Man U again this season, see if he can still say that!

and as long as we finish above Man U this season, I think it is a successful one already.

geez....

after all the good start this season, we couldn't manage to hold on to our 3 point lead. :banghead:

It was set up for a picture perfect match but alas, our Carra scored and own goal and to compound the misery, that P-something guy had to score at the death. :dblfk: :death:

lets quickly pray for El Nino to be back!

but, win, lose or draw....You'll Never Walk Alone!

and I will surely wear my jersey out today!

Rafael Benitez admitted he could not hide his disappointment after watching Liverpool slump to their first defeat of the season at Spurs.

The Reds had looked on course to retain their place at the top of the Barclays Premier League when Dirk Kuyt fired them in front after just three minutes.

However, the visitors could not add to their lead despite dominating the remainder of the match, and after late goals from Jamie Carragher (og) and substitute Roman Pavlyuchenko gave Spurs a a 2-1 win, the Reds boss conceded they were finding the loss difficult to take.

"I can't believe we have lost this game," said Benitez. "After playing well in the first half we started the second half with four clear chances. We hit the bar and Kuyt and Alonso had great chances that we didn't take.

"Always it's important to create chances but you have to score from them. We were going forward, controlling the game and were dominant.

"I am really disappointed but it was really bad luck because everybody could see we were better than them.

"We were talking on the bench saying we have to score the second goal to finish the match off. I made some changes and thought the pace of Babel could make a difference, but to concede the two goals is something that is difficult to explain.

"As a team we were really good but we need to take our chances. That makes the difference in a game like this.

"Everybody was really disappointed in the dressing room because we know we had the game in our hands, but sometimes in football you need luck. It was a game we easily could have won 4-0."

On a positive note the Reds boss revealed that Fernando Torres could be back in his squad for Tuesday's Champions League clash against his former club Atletico Madrid.

"Hopefully he will be ready. If he cannot start the game then he will be on the bench if everything is okay," he said.

"It's good we have another important game on Tuesday and the reaction of the players has to be to play well and win the game. We just have to keep going and keep playing the same way."

• 1 month later...

will somebody please wipe that bloody smirk off my face? :2guns: :alien: :laugh: :asshole: :batman: :tongue1: :spiderman: :P 8.) :bootyshake: :o ;D :D ^-^ ;) :angel1: :3some: :):angel::devil: :la: :clap: :thumbsup: :punk1: :bboyspin: :tazzie: :yumyum:

hee hee....cannot help it. happened once in 19 years. long overdue liao!

come on you reds!!!!

Guest tategoi

superman.gifsuperman.gif

When you walk through a storm, Hold your head up high,

And don't be afraid of the dark. At the end of a storm,

There's a golden sky, And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain,

Though your dreams be tossed and blown...

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart,

And you'll never walk alone......You'll never walk alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest millionmilebenz

Yeah booooss... I was really disappointed when I saw the scoreline. :-\

I know Stoke is no push-over at home, but holding us to a goal-less draw TWICE??

COME ON REDS!!!