• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Liverpool FC Daily News Thread

g8crasher

Guest jameslhm

Liverpool's Gerrard wins player of year award

Steven Gerrard's leadership of Liverpool's most sustained title challenge in years has won him the Football Writers' Association (FWA)'s player of the year award for the first time.

The Reds captain saw off challenges from Manchester United's Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to secure top spot in a poll of FWA members.

The 28-year-old has spent most of this season playing as a second striker, forging an exhilarating partnership with Fernando Torres. He has scored 23 goals in all competitions and become the club's record scorer in European competition.

"We are delighted to honour Steven's contribution this season with our prestigious award," said FWA chairman Steve Bates.

"Steven has had a fantastic season and has so often been the driving force behind Liverpool's forceful challenge for the Premier League title.

"Steven is viewed by the football writers who voted as the heartbeat of Liverpool's team and a player who gives everything for the cause."

Gerrard, who will receive his award at a dinner in London on May 29, succeeds Cristiano Ronaldo, who was honoured by the FWA in both 2007 and 2008.

The accolade means Gerrard joins a list of illustrious past winners that includes Sir Stanley Matthews, the first winner of the award in 1948, Sir Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore, George Best, Jurgen Klinsmann, Eric Cantona and Thierry Henry.

Liverpool's talisman also joins an even more exclusive club of players to have won both the writers' award and the Professional Footballers Association (PFA)'s player of the year award, which he collected in 2005-06.

This year's player's award was won by Giggs, who was recognised for his achievements over a long and exemplary career as much as his performances this season.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wah...Keltanky got ROM and Liverpool Romped to a 2-0 win against Man U ah!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Huat Ar! Bro Keltanky! u got also score 2 goals last nite or not? ;D

like that everytime we play Man U, can u renew your wedding vows? :tazzie: :swduel:

Wah...Keltanky got ROM and Liverpool Romped to a 2-0 win against Man U ah!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Huat Ar! Bro Keltanky! u got also score 2 goals last nite or not? ;D

like that everytime we play Man U, can u renew your wedding vows? :tazzie: :swduel:

:tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie:

how many goals i score... hmmmm never count lei... :censored: :censored: :censored:

just a side note, pool score i score huh? if pool let in, i let in?? :surrender: :surrender: :banghead: :banghead:

renew vows. wow liao, at least 4 times a year? to max 12 times a year? :clap: :clap: :death:

Guest kopimonster

keltanky ]

Huat Ar! Bro Keltanky! u got also score 2 goals last nite or not? wrote:

:tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie:

how many goals i score... hmmmm never count lei... :censored: :censored: :censored:

just a side note, pool score i score huh? if pool let in, i let in?? :surrender: :surrender: :banghead: :banghead:

renew vows. wow liao, at least 4 times a year? to max 12 times a year? :clap: :clap: :death:

anything it takes for pool to win the title :laugh:

anyways, a BIG CONGRATUALTIONS on your ROM Bro!!!!