• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

08 W211 Journey - Greetings to Bros & Sis

ckcorona

Hi rocknroll,

My mileage pretty decent ave abt 2-2.5k/mth during school days. I guess its not because of my usage but rather the previous owner/dealer. Read in between the lines from Carcrazy's reply and you will get it.

It's a hi-tech car which is super sensitive, I wished my wife would be too. :D  :lol:

The more electronics and sensors it has, the more issue it will surface when age, normal bah..... Parts are not expensive, just that the labor cost in sg is high.

Thanks for the info! Indeed your usage shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes I think workshops chop carrot on Merc owners too. Jap cars are charged cheaper for the same jobs. 

Hope you won't get any more gremlins after this, so that you can use the $$ saves on nice mods instead :D.

Thanks for the info! Indeed your usage shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes I think workshops chop carrot on Merc owners too. Jap cars are charged cheaper for the same jobs. 

Hope you won't get any more gremlins after this, so that you can use the $$ saves on nice mods instead :D.

Frankly, trying to save every penny now due to some financial issue caused my client not paying and some others defaulting on payments to me. that's why finding the cheapest option to repair now, but the warning msg is super irritating and worrying,

Wished I had the extra for mods too. Upcoming svc needs to replace the valve cover gasket....hiaz.

Still have some nitty gritty stuff on the car to settle but putting in on hold 1st since it's not crucial.

Bought the coolant level sensor 12bucks  from Gallop as GL sell the tank and sensor as 80 bucks/set. Installation was actually a 1min job, no need to remove expansion tank or drain the coolant. Strangely, the sensor compartment is not immerse in the coolant, it's dry in another sealed compartment, wonder how it sense in this case. Just unplug the cable and turn the sensor clockwise to unlock and remove. But sad to say, the msg still there. Jump the terminals of the sensor connector together and started the car, msg still there. Koaz....meaning it's not the coolant level sensor issue. But weirdly, the "Top up washer fluid" msg came on for a while and disappear, Meaning that what some bros said were true, the ground of the coolant and washer wiring might be shared. 

Someone in MB forum said it might also be due to the auxiliary fan or it's fuse issue. Sian.... 

BTW, I tried pushing the wiper washer stick harder all the way down and hold, heard the pump sound for a while, nothing happens. Tried a few times, pump work for a while and suddenly, short squirts of wiper fluid flew to my windscreen. Thought washer working, ho sei already. Then I finally realised, it's the headlight washer that is squirting and the whole bonnet and front of car all covered with the foamy washer when I came down to inspect. haha...

Does the headlight washer and windscreen washer works simultaneously once washer button is pressed normally. Or you have to hold the button a few secs before the headlight washer will work? Coz thought mine failed long ago as din see it work until yesterday. Mine is the advantgarde version.

Hello CK,

I told you to change whole coolant reservior right? Don't change the sensor alone....But you don't believe me. :(

Bro...

Prob is when I shorted the terminals of the coolant level sensor, the msg still display wor.... :startle:

My worry is it could be other fault causing it.

Headlight washer will work together with wiper spray if headlight is ON.

If Headlight is OFF, only wiper spray will work when button is depress..

Hi Carcrazy,

Does it meant all avantgarde model have headlight washer

My is E230 avantgarde, was wondering what was that 2 little patches for

Later go test it out :)

Bro...

Prob is when I shorted the terminals of the coolant level sensor, the msg still display wor.... :startle:

My worry is it could be other fault causing it.

Hi Ck, did you ever wonder why I know you have to change complete assembly of coolant box?

I'd the same issue where the message "top up coolant" pop out. I then repeatedly checked & monitored the coolant level for a week or more but there was with no leaking and the temperature remains at normal degree. For peace of mind, I went Chip Soon to replace the coolant reservoir. In less than 15mins, the job was done. The coolant reservoir was changed with new MB coolant. The message was gone, no reset is necessary. The total cost inclusive of GST was $148.xx.

Hi Ck, did you ever wonder why I know you have to change complete assembly of coolant box?

Hi CarCrazy,

I was advised to change both together by GL, but I'm just perplexed as why need to change both as I look here and inspect there, just cannot find the reason why they are related. Maybe the float inside konked, the expansion tank plastic too dirty for the sensor to pick up the water level? Maybe you can enlighten me pls?

Just went Web hunting for solution and found out that the sensor seems like a magnetic reed switch. Also, inside the expansion tank, there is a sealed float with magnet inside. So when the float goes up and down, the magnetic reed switch picks up the magnetic field signal of the magnet in the float. If this is the case, either the float is stuck or float has leaked causing water to enter and float to sink thus triggering the low coolant msg . This could be a likely reason why changing the expansion tank and sensor goes hand in hand.

took out the sensor with the connector still attached to it, used a magnet placed near the sensor. The top up coolant light disappear, but when plug in sensor into the e.tank, the msg appear again. so can safely say that the original sensor is working, the prob lies with the magnetic float inside the e.tank.

so now, to change the e.tank or try to take out and wash to see if it would free up the float.

sorry guys, I know replacing the e.tank is inexpensive. But current situation is can save, I will save.

Hi CK,

All I can tell you is because I experienced it before. Haha... I was like you, changed sensor but it doesn't work. 

Hi CarCrazy,

Hahahaha...we all learn from experience.

loosen the screw holding the tank and yank out the e.tank where 2 rubber nibs are holding it at the bottom. Do the cocktail shake for a min or so hoping the float will work. Nevertheless, msg still appear. Next step, loosen the sensor from the compartment and let it drop downwards where the float should be (aga aga) buts till inside the e.tank housing. Msg disappear, will leave it for the moment until I get it fixed since coolant is not disappearing, just the float in the e.tank sank. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WIth the high std of living in sg, labor cost is getting really ex. Parts is 80/set (b4GST) e.tank c/w sensor, the rest is basically labor charges. The e.tank holds abt 2+litres of coolant, even deducting coolant cost, personally find it still high for removing 2 hoses and a snap-on nut, probably a < 15mins job.. My 2 cents. 

Yes most ws now charging like agent fees for the labor. Maybe they dont earn much from owner bringing in their own replacement parts? I usually let the ws quote me parts with labor. Then nego from there after find out the parts cost. In this way, everyone is happy, at least i m happy so is site sponsor Top93.

Nowadays hard to find ws that allows you to bring your own stuff especially oil for servicing. I guess it's the operating cost like rental and labor levy etc going up & up. Not forgetting the most recent petrol tax up. @#$%^&!

Yap, oil price went down then shoot up back to square one. U can check with Top93 whether they allow bring your own parts for replacement. But what if after replacement the parts there are issues? The finger pointing game is time wasting. Thats why i choose to nego with ws for the total package.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, time flies and have not been active for months liao.

Owning the w211 for slightly 1yr, last service waa few months back. Needed to change top valve gasket as oil was seeping from the rear. Did at CS while servicing at the same time, almost got a heart attack when I was told that the top valve cover rear corner had a chip off that's causing the leak; previous owner mechanic must have damaged it before, TMD!  LL need to buy a brand new valve cover, but heng  it's ard 420+ for the parts, adding labor and svc, total bill came to abt 900+

Just last week, AC compressor suddenly started to make roaring sound and the next day, it died leaving me with only hot air. It was a Saturday morning and decided to give Markcool a call for help. Rushed down without appointment and traced fault to ac compressor lost compression.....WTx....., just changed a brand new compressor 1yr back and now kaput again. LL out of warranty and had to pay 880 to replace.

Keeping finger crossed, please dun fail on me again.....

• 6 months later...

Bro ckcorona,

It has been really "educational" for me reading your blog from Post #1 to Post #124.

I am thinking of getting a 1997 W211 E200...can help to give some tips what to lookout for during test drive?

Thank you.

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT