• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

08 W211 Journey - Greetings to Bros & Sis

ckcorona

Maybe I'm the cheapo type, I always try to search internet for possible causes. Then I'll try to slowly isolate the prob starting from the cheapest 1st. For my ' Inoperative ESP', I've already senses that my left wheel side something has knonked and I tried doing it 1st. Too much free play of the wheel mechanism will lead sensor sensing off spec reading and esp error.

btw, change T.B. for esp error? Was the T.B. giving prob like erratic when idle or retard response when accelerator being depressed? When my T.B. was faulty, it gave my car erratic idling but no esp error. I cleaned it myself and till now, idling still swee swee.

Try monitor when the esp error kicks in. Does it happen when cornering on uneven road? Does it happen during sudden acceleration? Does it happen when slow cornering on undulating road? Chassis, undercarraige, steering column or suspension/linkage stuff giving weird sound or loose feel. It will help the mechanic to narrow down the possiblity.

did two computer diagnostics at two different workshops.... and none of them can give me an isolated fault! even the mechanic is clueless about the inoperative error messages that are displayed on my display screen. did two fault resets via the computer at both the workshops. still the esp, run flat and speedtronic errors came up.

What's weird is, my car doesn't go into limp mode! was able to drive at up till 140 km/h down the expressway with no anomalies.

This is a difficult task to handle man! my 2nd mech i looked for told me that it may be a faulty component on a motherboard that may cause the error messages to surface with no defects on the car?

Actually i recalled hitting a hump really hard before this happen, like ckcorona i'm suspecting my steering components may be the culprit. I've read all related forums so far the only related component that was replaced is the steering angle sensor. Should i start from there first? Anybody got any experiences to share would be deeply appreciated!

Hi Vin85,

Try go cs to ask the mechanic to check if it's due to mechanical failure or fatigue of the steering components, tie rod or arm bushes. It's foc to trouble shoot. But be fair and let them repair if they manage to find the root.

For older rides, dun think it's the ecu or prog which takes so long to surface.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe I'm the cheapo type, I always try to search internet for possible causes. Then I'll try to slowly isolate the prob starting from the cheapest 1st. For my ' Inoperative ESP', I've already senses that my left wheel side something has knonked and I tried doing it 1st. Too much free play of the wheel mechanism will lead sensor sensing off spec reading and esp error.

btw, change T.B. for esp error? Was the T.B. giving prob like erratic when idle or retard response when accelerator being depressed? When my T.B. was faulty, it gave my car erratic idling but no esp error. I cleaned it myself and till now, idling still swee swee.

Try monitor when the esp error kicks in. Does it happen when cornering on uneven road? Does it happen during sudden acceleration? Does it happen when slow cornering on undulating road? Chassis, undercarraige, steering column or suspension/linkage stuff giving weird sound or loose feel. It will help the mechanic to narrow down the possiblity.

So far so good after changing the TB. There is a throttle position sensor on the TB that may fail. My TB was idling badly when cold, after I cleaned it, it was good, but still gave CELs when the ESP issue came out and went into limp mode. It was something like throttle voltage cannot be reached ...so my mech concluded it was the TB..

Went to chip soon today to get my errors rectified. Turned out that there is a faulty stop lamp that messed up the merc brain. Paid $90 for the fix, parts cost $32.

Paid the excess to learn more about the fix even though it was pretty simple. But thumbs up for the guys at CS. They were patient to teach me about the defect and i didnt have to wait long.

hi vin85. glad the issue was fixed n damage minimal.

i am still thinking whether to wait 6k more or do now for my valve cover gasket leak. houseband hard to fine time to escape from home. went down 2days ago after calling n confirm they not so busy , but when i reached, 4more cars ahead just reached, left as they not enough time to do. hahaha...

• 2 months later...

After driving for 1wk after tie rod change, realized that the wiper spray dun work liao . Cannot even hear the pump working. Wonder could it be concidental or something got knocked loose when doing the tie rod. Anyway, live with it.

just yesterday, the top up coolant light lit up on display suddenly. Waited for the car to cool down before opening the reservoir tank, water level is still there above the black portion of the tank. Thought maybe car sensitive, so top up to almost till the brim. Restart the car but the msg still appears. Hiaz . .... this morning started the car again, nb msg still appear, check water level, no loss eh . been monitoring the water temp, steady holding 1 mark above 80deg bar which is normal since I collected the car 6mths back. Could it be my wiper wash reservoir affecting or the radiator reservoir sensor faulty? Any way to reset the msg ? Need expert Bros for advice. Thanks.

After driving for 1wk after tie rod change, realized that the wiper spray dun work liao . Cannot even hear the pump working. Wonder could it be concidental or something got knocked loose when doing the tie rod. Anyway, live with it.

just yesterday, the top up coolant light lit up on display suddenly. Waited for the car to cool down before opening the reservoir tank, water level is still there above the black portion of the tank. Thought maybe car sensitive, so top up to almost till the brim. Restart the car but the msg still appears. Hiaz . .... this morning started the car again, nb msg still appear, check water level, no loss eh . been monitoring the water temp, steady holding 1 mark above 80deg bar which is normal since I collected the car 6mths back. Could it be my wiper wash reservoir affecting or the radiator reservoir sensor faulty? Any way to reset the msg ? Need expert Bros for advice. Thanks.

Give camber53 a call!

He call do a diagnostic test for you!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Hi CK,

You problem is a common one. Just change the wiper fluid motor, it is not expensive.

The other coolant problem, you have to change the whole coolant tank with sensor. If you just change sensor, the problem may not go away. I also don't know why, it is the way to solve.

Wiper and coolant tank is not related. Check the fuse or head down to Top93 for a medical check.

Just swapped out my coolant tank cause of the exact similar issue. If u worry abt cost. U can go to scrapyards and harvest a similar part for cheap.

Thanks vin85 for the comfort and advice....at least mua not alone... .

Hey CK,

Luckily parts are inexpensive for Mercedes. Old car especially mileage tampered ones tend to have more work to do. But that keeps you learning :)

Hi CarCrazy,

The learning cycle seems non-ending, I find myself searching and studying for solutions more than in my school days, luckily the www is so powerful now, else more jialat.

Hi CK, how much are you driving a month on average? Just wondering, because your car seems to need attention every 2 to 3 months, though I think most are wear-n-tear related. I have had a few on mine (posted in another thread), am hoping that this is not the trend of maintaining a Merc… else it is becoming like a money pit.

Hi CK, how much are you driving a month on average? Just wondering, because your car seems to need attention every 2 to 3 months, though I think most are wear-n-tear related. I have had a few on mine (posted in another thread), am hoping that this is not the trend of maintaining a Merc… else it is becoming like a money pit.

Mercedes is rather sensitive when it comes to letting you know when a part needs checking or replacement. Of course there is a choice should you choose to replace the part when it becomes defective. So I think it is more of personal preference on how you control your expenses when it comes to car maintenance.

Hi rocknroll,

My mileage pretty decent ave abt 2-2.5k/mth during school days. I guess its not because of my usage but rather the previous owner/dealer. Read in between the lines from Carcrazy's reply and you will get it.

It's a hi-tech car which is super sensitive, I wished my wife would be too. :D  :lol:

The more electronics and sensors it has, the more issue it will surface when age, normal bah..... Parts are not expensive, just that the labor cost in sg is high.

• Like 1