• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

08 W211 Journey - Greetings to Bros & Sis

ckcorona

Another sad day....

Went to the same workshop asking for svc package details and at the same time, did a diagnostic test to determine the idling issue. 2 faults were detected during the OBD with the front passenger door light and the other is throttle actuator. I can Ignore the door light fault but was told that I need to replace the whole throttle body(TB) with labor inclusive at close to S$700/-,.

Was thinking of giving it a last cheap shot of using a throttle/carb cleaner to see if it can be resolved. Used to DIY throttle cleaning using STP Carb cleaner for all my previous rides (and it works great with stable idle and more responsive)  but this is my 1st E-throttle and I don't want to kill it or sensor.. STP is out but 3M is in as 3M Carb Cleaner stated it's SENSOR SAFE which can be found at Autobac. I know there are brands like Voltronic and OWS etc but seems like only some workshops have but they don't sell to individual for DIY or even if they do sell, it won't be cheap.

1)What is/are the sensor at the TB or after the TB?

2)Is it OK to just spray the cleaner into the TB after removing the intake pipe without removing the sensor/S?

Dealer said old car is like that and rub it off. Said can't provide more coz they oredi making losses from the previous repairs. The boss largi best, want me to trade in to 09 E212 at 120k+, Seow!

Now really sian oredi.

Have you considered going to the CnC Service Clinic? As discussed in this thread: http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/14051-cc-service-clinic/

I have signed up and gotten a slot. You may want to consider just to get some expert advise, or at least get a 2nd opinion. I don't think there is obligation to use CnC for service.

Hi CK,

I have a feeling your mileage is super high to have worn throttle body. Way beyond 200,000km.

Why don't you check with spare parts shop directly on this throttle body.  There could be some electronics attached to it that is at fault.

Hi Rocknroll,

Tried the link and checking Merc website, seems like it has been taken down; maybe slot full?

Hi CarCrazy,

Yup, I suspect so too but since oredi own it, juz do the best to rectify it while trying to keep the hole in the pocket small.

Appreciate anyone has the video or steps to remove the TB? Die die must give it a cheap shot 1st else I really buay kam wan.

Throttle body itself has nothing more than a butterfly flap and a few tiny holes for air compensation when aircon is on or load changes. You have to remove it and look at the electronic stuff that is attached to it. See my PM

Thanks for ur pm carcrazy,

Yesterday yank out the plastic pipe and sprayed 3M carb cleaner into the TB with engine off and also when running. There were traces of oil in the TB, some carbon n black sticky stuff all being cleaned out. Need help of another person to ON the car and depress the acc pedal in order for the butterfly to open or rev the car to keep it alive.

Noticed 1 thing abt the butterfly, it was fluttering; opening n closing irregularly in idle mode w/o ac being on. Guess it's either the actuator or the metal track inside the TB covered by the black plastic with Metal clips next to look into.

But 1 thing for sure, although idling still not resolved, the car is more responsive and willing to pull more after cleaning. So still worth the effort.

Today, decided to dismantle the whole throttle body unit in order to fully clean n service it. Since it was already deemed as faulty, I thought what the heck even if I damaged it.

Dismantled the air intake pipe connecting to the air filter.

Remove the plastic intake pipe to the TB by unscrewing the metal ring.

Followed by removing the electrical connector at the TB

Finally removed the TB by unscrewing 4 torx screw. And below is what is left. There is a sensor located inside the hole, spray with carb cleaner liberally.

image.jpg

Below is the front facing of the TB after cleaned

image-4.jpg

The rear facing of the TB

image-7.jpg

Above TB was cleaned using 3M sensor safe carb spray

Next, remove the 6 metal clips holding the side plastic cover. Always pry open from the metal side and not the plastic cover

image-5.jpg

The centre gear can be taken out easily for easy access to clean the motor and also butterfly gear/mechanism. I sprayed lots of wd40 into both motor and butterfly mechanism to clear and drain off the carbon built up, it was darn dirty. I flipped the TB over to drain off excess oil. Can feel that the motor is able to rotate freely now. Careful not to touch the 4 small brushes on the gear.

image-1.jpg

This is the part which you need to be careful too. Clean off the carbon on the contact tracks, I used wd40 again as that was what I had. A contact cleaner would be better. Make sure it's dry after cleaning to prevent short circuit to the below pcb or contacts.

image-2.jpg

After they are dry, place back the rubber gasket into the groove before assembly back and clip back the clips.

Install back in the reverse order. Looking shining and good

image-6.jpg

You will need to loosen the 2 torx nuts located at the sc holding the pipe in order for you to install back the pipe easily. Else you will have trouble getting the rigid plastic to fit back the TB.

Fire up the car and it sprang into life, rmp shot up for a while before slowly stabilizing down. Drove the car for some distance and left the car still idling. No more fluctuation! Drove to do my stuff and back home evening. After park, monitor the rmp, still swee swee and zai zai.

Will monitor tomorrow morning cold start. Hopefully will be good too.

Can try to do the ecu/tcu reset, It should work even better.

• Like 4

This morning did a cold start and thankfully, the idling was good and very stable. Started out at around 1.2k rmp and slowly and steadily drops to 800 rpm over a span of 5mins when fully warmed up. A/c was switched on from start. Very happy with the performance and most importantly, saved me 738.30 bucks from repair. Just spent 14.90 for a can of 3m carb cleaner and also home left over wd40.

Took videos of both before and after TB cleaning, if you guys keen to see the difference, I'm mostly willing to post but need guide where to host the video and link over.

Thanks.

Wow CK,

You are a real DIY which I rarely come across locally. Most enthusiast would asked around but leave it to the workshop to settle it. :thumbsu:

Nowadays I only dirty my hands if I really need to.  Once my fan belt broke since the belt tensioner seize and dropped off.  Car can't move and got to be towed.

So no choice, buy parts and settle it myself. Done with much cuts on the hands.

Good that you cure this problem. In fact, workshop also knew it could be repaired but can't charge much.

• Like 1

This morning did a cold start and thankfully, the idling was good and very stable. Started out at around 1.2k rmp and slowly and steadily drops to 800 rpm over a span of 5mins when fully warmed up. A/c was switched on from start. Very happy with the performance and most importantly, saved me 738.30 bucks from repair. Just spent 14.90 for a can of 3m carb cleaner and also home left over wd40.

Took videos of both before and after TB cleaning, if you guys keen to see the difference, I'm mostly willing to post but need guide where to host the video and link over.

Thanks.

Thought you said you old liao cannot diy!

Got break your back or not?..... :)

Well done!

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Wow CK,

You are a real DIY which I rarely come across locally. Most enthusiast would asked around but leave it to the workshop to settle it. :thumbsu:

Nowadays I only dirty my hands if I really need to.  Once my fan belt broke since the belt tensioner seize and dropped off.  Car can't move and got to be towed.

So no choice, buy parts and settle it myself. Done with much cuts on the hands.

Good that you cure this problem. In fact, workshop also knew it could be repaired but can't charge much.

Hi Carcrazy,

I guess most driving merc have deep pockets so dun feel the pain to spent and resolve the prob without getting their hands dirty, unlike me. It's really fun to DIY to save some cost and at the same time, understand the car better. Side effects are getting cuts and dirty hands with wife asking me to hands off her. Hahaha.

Thought you said you old liao cannot diy!

Got break your back or not?..... :)

Well done!

Hi Kepiting,

Didn't break the back, but aching all over the body.

I wish to share as it might come in handy for those having the same problem which can be easily resolved. There is actually a miniature motor in the TB which is used to activate the butterfly opening angle which looks like replaceable with screw to remove.

Hi Sifu,

Anyone knows where to get the torx nut tools, realized that the engine is full of such nuts which is driving me nuts as I do not have it to remove parts.

This thread will serve as a dairy for my ride i guess.

Of ya, just did a 80k svc with M1syn oil, change oil filter, brake pads for front and rear, brake fluid change digging 600+ into my pocket.

The rpm is still holding steady strong and hopefully, can tahan a few more yrs.

Probably next project will be looking into the keyless door handle buttons. Front passenger side can lock but cannot unlock, rear driver side intermittent lock and confirm cannot unlock. To me, it seems like a contact issue as moisture could have penetrate and oxidized the pcb or contacts, a contact or electrical cleaner might help. I spoken to a few owners and most told me dun bother to replace as it will reoccur again in a yrs time. Not cheap to replace and still need to respray to body color.But wait till I recover from all the aching 1st and find time to slowly do.

I thought the body ache will stop you from going further :lol:

The tools that you are looking for can be found in Kelantan Lane /Sungei road hardware shops. You need the torx nut socket (female part) .  They are go by E10, E12, E14....

Since you can DIY the throttle body, you could had save more money (and learn) by doing the service by yourself. Oil change is so easy. Oil filter you need 27mm socket to open.

Brake pad change is same as Japanese car, one nut only.  Probably less than $300 settled.

I thought the body ache will stop you from going further :lol:

The tools that you are looking for can be found in Kelantan Lane /Sungei road hardware shops. Yoas I've uthe torx nut socket (female part) . They are go by E10, E12, E14....

Since you can DIY the throttle body, you could had save more money (and learn) by doing the service by yourself. Oil change is so easy. Oil filter you need 27mm socket to open.

Brake pad change is same as Japanese car, one nut only. Probably less than $300 settled.

Thanks Carcrazy,

Wanted to stop but knowing something is not right and not getting it fixed made me feel very irk. Thanks for the information, when i told the workshop guy not to change the TB which he has noted down the fault in his record as i have dismantled and fixed it, he was like amazed. Hahaha.

Oil change a bit tough as hard to collect and dispose used oil and oil filter, maybe other stuff like air, a/c inner and external filter, spark plugs are an option. Brake pads maybe next time round, need to pay to see them do 1 time 1st. Hehe.

Nowadays many of these car DIY jobs can be viewed in youtube. Pretty informative.

Used oil you can bring it to the workshops. They sell them to used oil dealers who comes around like buying old newspaper.

E-class W211 aircon filter is easy to change.  It is located inside the bonnet near the firewall and held on by metal clips. Inside the car no more aircon filter. Other models may have the aircon filter inside the car. Those are harder to change.

Nowadays many of these car DIY jobs can be viewed in youtube. Pretty informative.

Used oil you can bring it to the workshops. They sell them to used oil dealers who comes around like buying old newspaper.

E-class W211 aircon filter is easy to change.  It is located inside the bonnet near the firewall and held on by metal clips. Inside the car no more aircon filter. Other models may have the aircon filter inside the car. Those are harder to change.

bro, there are 2 pcs of ac filter underneath the passenger dash, shaped like Beemer kidney grill, I changed it when I did my ac compressor change.

• 2 weeks later...

Been driving for > a wk and thank god, the throttle body cleaning effort paid off, idling morning, in gear with/without ac, are strong and steady, Happy with it. Was at the dealer shop for a visit, he sat in my ride and was surprised that it was "so" quiet, smooth and no funny sound from undercarriage. In my mind, I was thinking he either wanna humour me or it's really so quiet leh? I did a slow drive in the compound as I ferried him from his shop to another nearby, SC din kick in so still quiet.

As pertaining to the keyless door handle, you can actually remove the handle without opening the door panel, but the prob is, the electrical stuff are actually sealed inside the handle and nothing much you can do. So either live with it or can opt to get a new handle, I think ard 200+/- , need to respray. For me, I'll just leave it for the time being.

Erh....saw a black jul08 e200k advangarde for sale, interior black including the head linen/sun visor etc with orange seats, reverse cam, Bluetooth, all keyless handle works and new paint job (so so quality) but car in good condition and accident free. Did a test drive and fiddle with it for a long time....Kinda like it. Dealer asked me to top up 5k and swapped, Verygian......but need to hold horses, else OC will scream. Just a question, is the orange seat a special edition or request?

Hi There,

The door handle can be bought with colour prfe-sprayed $200 plus. I bought it before. You can't repair it.  It will be plug and play.

As for your other 08 E200, why would you be itchy over another same year car?  If i were to be you, the moment I see a aftermarket colour (brown) seat, it is likely to be re-done locally.  This will also indicate that the original seats could had been worn out. Hence another high mileage car makeover.

Hi CarCrazy,

Hehe.... Car has been my passion until my kids comes along, over the years this should be my 12th ride. B'coz I've always prefer black and also darker interior lah, my kids keep kicking and stepping and leaving marks all over the interior, clean till I sian. Also, it's darker inside the car partly due to the interior trim and also tint; current ride very clear and bright can see right it. Been a black colour lover, just that this silver that I bought, it was like my 1st Merc and I guess I got too overwhelmed.

As for the seat, it's not new. Orange in colour that I think C&C offered, saw it on a few Merc, or is it called Maple color?

COE released yest, dealer just updated price to 3k more.

Anyway, better hold my horses and perfect my current ride unless I ki siao hong again. hahahaa....

Thanks for the advise bro. :D

• 3 weeks later...

For the past few weeks, there is a shuttering sound and feel when car is stationary and during turning the steering wheel to almost full left. The feel and sound is exactly like when you turning your wheels in a smooth rd carpark. Checked the tires and found front left inner rather botak. Had it changed but the sound still persist. Now when full right stationary, the same feel and sound can be heard.

Check the ps fluid and still within the mark. But it looks rather blackish. The ps don't make weird sound when full left or right in lock position. It only happens when in the process of turning to almost reaching the max. No weird noise or loose undercarriage feel.

Can it be due to dirty ps fluid or more than it meets the eyes?