• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Malaysian police are after S'pore-registered vehicles in JB

Barney

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20120602-350069.html

Malaysian police are after S'pore-registered vehicles in JB

By Mohd Farhaan Shah

JOHOR BARU - Malaysian police are after Singapore-registered vehicles which have not settled their fines for unpaid traffic summonses.

Johor Baru (South) traffic chief Deputy Supt Ooi Kok Seong said about four million summonses were issued to foreign vehicles, especially Singapore cars, since 2005.

"Police are conducting an operation dubbed Ops Warta Singapura against owners of vehicles who have not paid the fines.

"The operation began on the second week of May and so far we managed to collect more than RM60,000 (S$24,564) in fines from Singaporeans.

"The police roadblocks are at the exit points from the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex in Bukit Chagar here," DSP Ooi said here yesterday.

He said police would take stern action against owners of foreign vehicles who had yet to settle their fines either by not allowing them to return to their country or spend a night in jail.

DSP Ooi said police were not targeting them but only wanted to remind them to pay up their fines.

"The Singapore police are also doing the same thing to Malaysian-registered vehicles each time Malaysians return from the island republic," he said.

DSP Ooi said some of the Singaporeans blame ignorance for not paying their fines.

He said recently a Singaporean was stopped by police after he accumulated more than 30 summonses with fines totalling RM4,060.

"Foreigners should check online at the e-government service portal MyEG to know if they have any outstanding summonses," he said.

• 2 weeks later...

On my way back from Petaling Jaya last Sunday, I was asked to pull over by M'asia TP at a road block just after the exit to Tuas (Singapore) ... :startle:

I pulled over, in front of 6-7 Singapore cars that had already pulled over ... All the Singaporeans seem to be arguing with the M'asia TP ...

The TP that I got was a young Malay chap, and he said I was caught at 125 by laser camera, and that I shouldn't exceed 120. He mentioned the fine was $300 ringgit or something like that ...

I told him that I am sorry ... (no point denying cos I had been speeding la - though I am not sure only 125 ... wahahaha ...) Then I saw he haven't take down my licence and IC details ... and he seemed like a decent young chap ... So I just ask ... "Sir, can give chance or not? Like warning or what ... " And he said, "OK, next time don't exceed 120".

I was like ... OMG so lucky!!! Then I got in my car and drove off ...

I feel sometimes we Singaporeans should give their designation the due respect it deserves ... Maybe then they'll not pick on us, as much ...

On my way back from Petaling Jaya last Sunday, I was asked to pull over by M'asia TP at a road block just after the exit to Tuas (Singapore) ... :startle:

I pulled over, in front of 6-7 Singapore cars that had already pulled over ... All the Singaporeans seem to be arguing with the M'asia TP ...

The TP that I got was a young Malay chap, and he said I was caught at 125 by laser camera, and that I shouldn't exceed 120. He mentioned the fine was $300 ringgit or something like that ...

I told him that I am sorry ... (no point denying cos I had been speeding la - though I am not sure only 125 ... wahahaha ...) Then I saw he haven't take down my licence and IC details ... and he seemed like a decent young chap ... So I just ask ... "Sir, can give chance or not? Like warning or what ... " And he said, "OK, next time don't exceed 120".

I feel sometimes we Singaporeans should give their designation the due respect it deserves ... Maybe then they'll not pick on us, as much ...

You experience sounded so familiar....

During our NS drive on Sunday one of our bros got caught at exactly the same place, and got to drink expensive kopi with the mata. You are so lucky!

I had the similar experienece one time, the M'sian TP stopped me half way on 2nd Link (after cleared M'sian Immigration) toward Singapore, I knew I was speeding, and asked politely for a speeding summon. To my surprise, the TP said : "this time is a warning lah...". Not sure what happened...

• Like 1

As far I can remember correctly, this similar 'scare' news from MY police, i have since read and heard for a few times. Nothing new, just another way for them trying to "collect" $$$

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

Don't pay and insist for summon. You will be let off if they are out for kopi money or you will get it if they really shoot with laser.

Pls be aware that even B road gets such kopi money act. I had it once on the way to Club Med Cherating, but was let go because I insist on taking the summon ticket.

You experience sounded so familiar....

During our NS drive on Sunday one of our bros got caught at exactly the same place, and got to drink expensive kopi with the mata. You are so lucky!

Orh like that also can arh!! So apologise will do need not give kopi o siew tai money?? Our bro is not so lucky!!

I had the similar experienece one time, the M'sian TP stopped me half way on 2nd Link (after cleared M'sian Immigration) toward Singapore, I knew I was speeding, and asked politely for a speeding summon. To my surprise, the TP said : "this time is a warning lah...". Not sure what happened...

Bro, I think as long as you apologise, and don't deny that you were speeding they are happy to let you off with a warning ...

I saw all the SG cars pulled over before me still there arguing with the respective TPs taking attending to them ... That's too much la.

Even if you feel you were pulled over only for kopi money, don't have to disrespect them what ... You are in THEIR country leh ... must be respectful of their legal authority.

In fact ... I bet it's cos of all the Singaporeans who act like snobs/disrespectful in front of the M'asia TPs and try and diss them that all SG cars come to be "targetted" by the M'asia TP.

• Like 2

The last round i was signalled to go one side at toll station by the tp. He said i was speeding and showed me an example of a photo captured but not my car. I insisted that i kept to speed limit and he LL said, i'll send the summon to you. The summon never ever came.

///// AMG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

2 weeks back, I was speeding 160 ns highway heading back tuas. Stopped after the toll, was asked for driving license n ic, young chap told me speed camera caught me doing 40km/h above the limit..... so I guess the camera really works ..... As he access my in cabin, there was my 6yr old princess, my aged MIL, politely told me he will send summon to my address and classic was he didn't even write down my add..... So fingers crossed...