• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

driving to ipoh

tsktsk

hi guys, i hope for some help from those who have driven up to KL and further up...

i will be planning my 1st trip up north in my w204 c180k although i have driven up to ipoh in my jap car many times... it will be daytime driving from tuas link, so i wanted to just learn from those who did it the following:

1) should i pump only ron97? any brand to avoid like petronas, i pump shell in sg so i suspect i will continue to do so in m'sia but in case i dun see one

2) any one encounter nasty drivers / situations especially in your beloved merc? asking this on behalf of my mother :blush:

3) i have comand unit, any issue using to find address in m'sia?

thanks y'all

1. Don't worry about pumping 97. In fact I find it better than our 98. If can't find Shell, it's ok to pump Esso, Caltex and Petronas

2. Just be careful, don't wear flashy jewellery and watches. Try to remain low profile. Avoid parking in dark, secluded places. Normally, they don't jio MB. :D

3. Best to bring a portable GPS along with Malaysia maps for standby. They are more accurate and normally more up to date. (just in case)

4. Find MB Malaysia contact. It's in your C & C decal if you can't find it. Or be a AA member.

5. Check tyre pressue before you leave. :)

• Like 1

1) In M'sia, foreign cars are not allowed to pump ron 95 and below.

2) My experienece, nothing different than S'pore. ie : be courteous, and drive like a MB owner :). If possible, avoid small Rest Area.

• Like 1

dont bother abt 95/97/98/vpower, no diff at RM$3/L~ i frequent msia (melaka/kl/penang) with fiancee alone driving my e-class~ my guess is u will only need a gas stop to reach ipoh destination with full tank from sg using tuas link~

quick basic checks like radiator top-up, tyre air top-up, wiper spray top-up (i have rainx so i hardly use wipers)

so to minimise staying out of benz, i always use credit card at shell without un-necessary mis-comm at cashier/pump asst~

stash RM50~200 within driver "discreet" reach for quickie (in case hor~)

maintain 110~120km/h when approaching rest stops

:)

• Like 1

i have driven to KL and Malacca in my jap car but never in MB.

so far ok (touch wood0 but heard a lot of horror stories, whether true or made-up.

i have heard people throwing eggs/stones so as to get you to stop and then either con you to go to their workshops or rob you.

i am planning to drive to golden palmtree resort around port dickson. anyone driven there before? any advice for a rookie?

thanks

i have heard people throwing eggs/stones so as to get you to stop and then either con you to go to their workshops or rob you.

heard those stories as well but fortunately i havent seen or encounter any... knock on wood! :)

btw is white card still needed huh? some say no need... any recent visitor can confirm via tuas link (i specify, coz u know how the authority work up north), one side no need may not mean the other side got the message :D

I have taken my previous W203 to Malacca, KL, PJ, Genting, Cameron Highland and Penang (with Sgmerc). No problem with a Mercedes-Benz, in fact, the NSHW is where you want to drive your Merc, especially the roads after KL to Ipoh and Penang.

Enjoy the drive, especially when at higher speed. My W203 cruised nicely at 140-150 km/h, every part of the car just settled down nicely and the engine hummed beautifully.

When in Boleh land, pump VPower !

• Like 1

Be sure to check all your fluid levels and pump your spare tyre! (if you have one...)

and if your tyres were machine tightened, you WILL NOT be able to loose the nuts with the tools in the boot.

I got a flat as I was heading back to SG. thank god it kaput near the checkpoint.

interesting note, the aa guy who fixed it used the cross shaped tyre wrench and extended it with a long metal rod for leverage.

• Like 1

heard those stories as well but fortunately i havent seen or encounter any... knock on wood! :)

btw is white card still needed huh? some say no need... any recent visitor can confirm via tuas link (i specify, coz u know how the authority work up north), one side no need may not mean the other side got the message :D

think msians are pretty nice in their way, seen many times that there were assistance/help at breakdown~

breakdown cases:

- stressing 150km/h sg-muar in a nissan mpv with 4 pax & a rear tyre burst, lucky a frd onboard was expert in changing wheels in 5mins~ :P

- cruising 180km/k jb-kl-jb in a honda accord 2l (jb plate) & gearbox burst at jb toll when returning, msian frd came to rescue with tow in 30mins~ :wub:

latest drive trip from tuaslink 6 apr 2012 still using white card for both sg / jpn

Last month Apr white card still in use!

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)