• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Weak/Worn Suspension

Guest Jovebot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mvdennis
Not sure... the workshop has yet to quote me. He said B6 roughly $200/piece including installation.

Someone just posted a WTS ad for Bilstein B8, might help with some perspective on pricing.

I am going to call some MB stockist tomorrow to check on Bilstein B6, B12 costs. We can sync up thereafter.

Cheers!

hey mate ... which workshop quoted you $200 per piece for B6 ah?

Guest Jovebot

yo, had been kinda tied up recently preparing for a business trip...

well, as it turned out, the guy simply rattled the cost but was not committal, said he had to check with supplier.

the official word now is $1300 nett for B6 front and back, including installation labour. However, there is a waiting time of 3-4 weeks for the parts to be shipped upon order. They apparently order in batches.

B12 Pro-kit is going for $1650 nett with installation.

are you considering B6 as well?

Hi bros,

My 5yo ride's suspension seems extremely soft, to the extent where going over a normal height hump at 20Km/h will cause the shocks to hit the limiter. And while the shocks were being compressed, there were creaking sounds coming from the shocks.

With some online research, there appears to be many things to consider replacing: Shocks, shock mounts, link arm bushings, control arm bushings, etc... *blur*

Any one has any similar experience/tips to share?

Cheers!

From personal experience, I would replace shocks, shock mount and associated bushings especially if they haven't been changed before. This will eliminate potential creaks, knocking noises etc. Shock mounts will harden over time and can potentially be the source of squeaking. This will apply for rubber bushings as well.

Bilstein

-----------

B4s are valved to OEM spec. You like comfy, cushy, these are ones to go for.

B6s are valved for a sportier, firmer ride.

B8s have a shorter shock body for up to a 50mm lowering application

Guest mvdennis
yo, had been kinda tied up recently preparing for a business trip...

well, as it turned out, the guy simply rattled the cost but was not committal, said he had to check with supplier.

the official word now is $1300 nett for B6 front and back, including installation labour. However, there is a waiting time of 3-4 weeks for the parts to be shipped upon order. They apparently order in batches.

B12 Pro-kit is going for $1650 nett with installation.

are you considering B6 as well?

hmmm that sounds more like the pricing i got from my workshop too ... though mine's only a B class and yours a CLS so i'm assuming yours at 1300 is a better price! (mine is also 1300)

I was actually considering B6 but then people from benzworld (mainly canadians) said the OE springs on the B class were prone to breaks so they had suggested the B12 instead since it's all inclusive and slightly cheaper than part replacements.

Guest joey2003
Hi bros,

My 5yo ride's suspension seems extremely soft, to the extent where going over a normal height hump at 20Km/h will cause the shocks to hit the limiter. And while the shocks were being compressed, there were creaking sounds coming from the shocks.

With some online research, there appears to be many things to consider replacing: Shocks, shock mounts, link arm bushings, control arm bushings, etc... *blur*

Cheers!

From personal experience, I would replace shocks, shock mount and associated bushings especially if they haven't been changed before. This will eliminate potential creaks, knocking noises etc. Shock mounts will harden over time and can potentially be the source of squeaking. This will apply for rubber bushings as well.

Bilstein

-----------

Speaking of suspension, my 5.5yr old W203 C180ML is also squeaking suspension... May i check with you what is the market going price to get my suspension fixed and wheels alignments done after that (labor cost) as I am going to get my shocks from stockist?

Thanks and regards,

Joe

Speaking of suspension, my 5.5yr old W203 C180ML is also squeaking suspension... May i check with you what is the market going price to get my suspension fixed and wheels alignments done after that (labor cost) as I am going to get my shocks from stockist?

Thanks and regards,

Joe

If you ring Tye Soon, you will be able to get the latest pricing for the shock absorbers. Expect it just over a grand - prices vary quite abit from car model. Labour charges will depend on which workshop you patronize so a good ballpark will be from $1XX-$2XX (high side). Some workshops will include alignment but I prefer to get my alignment done at places I trust. Good alignment shops charge $5X to as high as $8X.

Remember to let your absorbers settle for a few days before going for your alignment.

All up, I'd say you can get everything done well under $1.4k

Guest hkhamateur
Hi bros,

Cheers!

Bilstein

-----------

Interestg! ;)

Always preferred coilover than lowerg spring. Nw its more abt brandg lor! Blistein pricg fair! :whistle:

Interestg! ;)

Always preferred coilover than lowerg spring. Nw its more abt brandg lor! Blistein pricg fair! :whistle:

Yes, I will agree coilovers are the way to go if you wish to have control over ride height adjustability whilst still maintaining matched valving from the shock absorber. This applies to well developed coilover systems from reliable brands such as Bilstein, KW, H&R just to name a few.

There are 2 types of lowering springs commonly available on the market - linear rate and progressive rate springs. If the spring manufacturer has not done extensive testing of the springs together with the OEM valve rates of the shock absorbers, one may experience irregular ride comfort or handling characteristics especially when attempting to push the limits during spirited driving circumstances.

Guest blackmercs

Remember to let your absorbers settle for a few days before going for your alignment.

I didnt know u got to let absorbers to settle for a few days before alignment is done. Is it common practise? I usually do the alignment check immediately for all suspension thingy.

I didnt know u got to let absorbers to settle for a few days before alignment is done. Is it common practise? I usually do the alignment check immediately for all suspension thingy.

Prefer to be on the safe side bro Especially with new coilovers, shocks or if you lower the car. Sports models lagi sensitive to alignment tweaks. :)

Guest blackmercs

Prefer to be on the safe side bro Especially with new coilovers, shocks or if you lower the car. Sports models lagi sensitive to alignment tweaks. :)

I do agreed with u on this one but what if after installation the alignment is bad wouldnt it be unsafe to drive? Hmm let me go Mt NeedsForSpeed to seek enlightenment from the Jedi Master :)

Guest joey2003

I do agreed with u on this one but what if after installation the alignment is bad wouldnt it be unsafe to drive? Hmm let me go Mt NeedsForSpeed to seek enlightenment from the Jedi Master :)

haha... so should i wait for a few days or do it after the installation? do enlighten me, Jedis and Jedi masters... :D

Alignment will definitely be off after installation for sure but I doubt it will detract far enough to cause unsafe driving. Take it easy for a few days then send it to a good alignment shop.

There are alot of places that offer alignment services but few that take the time to offer good advice and setups based on their experience.

Guest Tigershark

after new suspensions/coilover installation, wheel alignment is usually off. personally, i would do alignment upon installation, followed by a subsequent alignment after the suspensions sit in.

Guest mvdennis

called up tye soon who said they dun have shocks for my car :(

still not decided to just replace the shocks (either OE or B4), or to just replace the whole damn thing and get the B12 ... the reviews on benzworld for the B12 is really good but seems many people here are recommending against it ... hmmmm

called up tye soon who said they dun have shocks for my car :(

still not decided to just replace the shocks (either OE or B4), or to just replace the whole damn thing and get the B12 ... the reviews on benzworld for the B12 is really good but seems many people here are recommending against it ... hmmmm

My 2c..

B12 has 2 available packages

- Pro Kit lowers up to 30mm

- Sportline lowers up to 50mm.

The springs in the B12 package are manufactured by Eibach and are matched to the damping profile of the B8 shock absorber. Being a sport shock absorber, ride quality is expected to be firmer but not too harsh in return for crisper handling and less body roll.

If you prefer a sportier drive, a slightly more aggressive stance with the lowering and don't mind sacrificing OEM ride comfort then this kit is for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mvdennis

Called a couple of parallel importers and workshops last 2 weeks on the Bilstein B12 and eventually settled down on 1 PI who promised me that stock would arrive last week. So after turning down the various other offers in other workshops etc (where i would have to wait between 4-7 weeks), I went with the PI ...

And then found out he brought in the wrong part. Damn Sian now... if i go back to the other workshops, i will either have to wait super long all over again, or people sian also dun wanna do my business :(

Guest joey2003
Agree with blacmerc....change the whole thing. I did mine at starblack a few weeks ago

I did mine (but only B4) at starblack too... :cheer: u can check them out mvdennis..

• 2 months later...

Hi bros, need to change my shock absorbers for B200. Asked around and was quoted 2k to change 4 using stock. Anyone can recommend a good workshop? Called star black buy yet to call me back. Thanks in advance.

Did you try calling MBM?

Try First Automobile.

They have B12

Yeap and I believe you will like first auto's pricing for their B12

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "