• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Weak/Worn Suspension

Guest Jovebot

Guest Jovebot

Hi bros,

My 5yo ride's suspension seems extremely soft, to the extent where going over a normal height hump at 20Km/h will cause the shocks to hit the limiter. And while the shocks were being compressed, there were creaking sounds coming from the shocks.

With some online research, there appears to be many things to consider replacing: Shocks, shock mounts, link arm bushings, control arm bushings, etc... *blur*

Any one has any similar experience/tips to share?

Cheers!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tigershark
Hi bros,

My 5yo ride's suspension seems extremely soft, to the extent where going over a normal height hump at 20Km/h will cause the shocks to hit the limiter. And while the shocks were being compressed, there were creaking sounds coming from the shocks.

With some online research, there appears to be many things to consider replacing: Shocks, shock mounts, link arm bushings, control arm bushings, etc... *blur*

Any one has any similar experience/tips to share?

Cheers!

Option 1: If you have a reliable & honest mech, who only changes items on need-to basis, you can replace whatever he recommends. Strictly speaking, cheapest option, unless complications develop...

Option 2: As blackmerc says, change the whole suspension.

Option 3: Since you are going to change suspensions, why not try out some aftermarket suspensions or coilovers? :evil:

Guest Jovebot

Thanks Tigershark and blackmerc for your suggestions.

Option 1: I do frequent a workshop in Paya Ubi for my wife's Jap ride, not sure of their expertise with Mercs though. I will welcome any discrete suggestion on reliable mechs to check out. :-)

Option 2: Replacing the "entire suspension" sounds like the most complicated option, but probably with the lowest risk of other inherent suspension related issues arising from old parts. Apart from the shocks and springs, I am not clear what other parts are considered as suspension... probably several more I would imagine... any comments?

Option 3: Hehe! Indeed, I am currently looking at Bilstein B6 shocks. I know this is a fairly basic Bilstein shock... The reality is, I do not plan to lower the car or do any "performance" style driving so I figured the B6 should be sufficient for my needs. At the very least, I just need to restore my car's suspension to normal again.

What do you think?

Guest blackmercs

Is already 5 yrs old i reckon it has never been replaced. So is time to get it done over with, aga logic estimation for the life span of a suspension sets is from 60,000 to 100,000km. The suspension sets often refers to the shock absorber aka for shocks & comes with a coil spring.

Just call up afew reputable workshop or our site sponsor for quote & compare the pricing then u are good to go. MTL - mia tu liao!!

Guest mvdennis

Option 1: I do frequent a workshop in Paya Ubi for my wife's Jap ride, not sure of their expertise with Mercs though. I will welcome any discrete suggestion on reliable mechs to check out. :-)

Option 2: Replacing the "entire suspension" sounds like the most complicated option, but probably with the lowest risk of other inherent suspension related issues arising from old parts. Apart from the shocks and springs, I am not clear what other parts are considered as suspension... probably several more I would imagine... any comments?

Option 3: Hehe! Indeed, I am currently looking at Bilstein B6 shocks. I know this is a fairly basic Bilstein shock... The reality is, I do not plan to lower the car or do any "performance" style driving so I figured the B6 should be sufficient for my needs. At the very least, I just need to restore my car's suspension to normal again.

What do you think?

jovebot,

i'm going to install the Bilstein B12 set ... you wanna? if so maybe we joint forces see if we can get a discount or not

B) :evil:

Guest Jovebot

Hi mvdennis,

As I understand it, B12 lowers the car by approx. 30mm... I have to take a look at my current car height to see if that's a suitable option. Have you gotten any quotes from workshops yet? I was down at a workshop in Changi North yesterday to enquire on the Bilsteins. The engineer suggested that I look at B6 as I do not plan to lower my ride. According to the engineer, the B12 is actually = B8 + Eibach (OEM) springs. Waiting for him to revert tomorrow with parts availability and cost.

blackmerc raised a good point, I might as well get the coils changed as well while I am at it. Let me get back to you later today if I am to go with B12 after I take a good look at my ride's current height. :)

Guest blackmercs

What do you think?

jovebot,

i'm going to install the Bilstein B12 set ... you wanna? if so maybe we joint forces see if we can get a discount or not

B) :evil:

B12 whats the damage like?

Guest Jovebot

Not sure... the workshop has yet to quote me. He said B6 roughly $200/piece including installation.

Someone just posted a WTS ad for Bilstein B8, might help with some perspective on pricing.

I am going to call some MB stockist tomorrow to check on Bilstein B6, B12 costs. We can sync up thereafter.

Cheers!

Guest Tigershark

Jovebot,

while u r happily going down a poisonous path.. i hope u r able to live with stiffer suspensions setup. especially if u hv a sensitive CO :P Also, crossing over humps and up/down steep slopes will become issues besides the regular stiffer shocks (literal meaning not the item).

seriously, if u hv no 'performance' style driving, i wud 2nd guess u gain more -ves than +ves in a coilover setup. u may wish to take a ride with any generous bro/sis with coilover setup first.

an alternative maybe, the oem amg sports suspension set.

have fun modding :)

Guest Jovebot

Tigershark,

Good advice! I am inclined not to lower the car and just stick with normal shocks. However, the thought of lowering for a sportier look did sound somewhat attractive... poison creeping in already! :)

Will update later how things went.

Guest mvdennis
Not sure... the workshop has yet to quote me. He said B6 roughly $200/piece including installation.

Someone just posted a WTS ad for Bilstein B8, might help with some perspective on pricing.

I am going to call some MB stockist tomorrow to check on Bilstein B6, B12 costs. We can sync up thereafter.

Cheers!

$200 per piece including installations is a very good price... since you're at it, can you help me ask for a quote for B6 for B200 Turbo?

Guest mvdennis
Jovebot,

while u r happily going down a poisonous path.. i hope u r able to live with stiffer suspensions setup. especially if u hv a sensitive CO :P Also, crossing over humps and up/down steep slopes will become issues besides the regular stiffer shocks (literal meaning not the item).

seriously, if u hv no 'performance' style driving, i wud 2nd guess u gain more -ves than +ves in a coilover setup. u may wish to take a ride with any generous bro/sis with coilover setup first.

an alternative maybe, the oem amg sports suspension set.

have fun modding :)

heard the B12 is not that stiff... (afterall, MB comes with pretty stiff ones as standard anyway - unlike Jaguars lol!)

Tigershark,

Good advice! I am inclined not to lower the car and just stick with normal shocks. However, the thought of lowering for a sportier look did sound somewhat attractive... poison creeping in already! :)

from personal exp to share.. if u want the stock comfort and 'lower' look... its better to upgrade the rims to cover the space than change suspension..

Guest Tigershark

the quote i got from AVP is $1350 for a full set. if you know of cheaper options please let me know!

price includes installation and computerise wheel alignment?

Guest Tigershark
Tigershark,

from personal exp to share.. if u want the stock comfort and 'lower' look... its better to upgrade the rims to cover the space than change suspension..

the gap between the wheels (rims + tyres) and fenders should not change if u upsize the rims, while maintaining the overall wheel diameter vis-a-vis stock profile.

if your gap does become smaller, it would mean your overall wheel diameter has increased. do take note that your speedo will now be inaccurate as it is calibrated to the stock wheels profile.

Tigershark,

the gap between the wheels (rims + tyres) and fenders should not change if u upsize the rims, while maintaining the overall wheel diameter vis-a-vis stock profile.

if your gap does become smaller, it would mean your overall wheel diameter has increased. do take note that your speedo will now be inaccurate as it is calibrated to the stock wheels profile.

yeah u r right that speedo will be incorrect but % is small.. wont be like u go at 100 it shows 80 or 90... definitely upsizing the rims wont be able to make ur car look as lowered as compared to using a coilover but u retain ur stock comfort n slightly sportier 'lower' look.

To clarify=> This 'lower' is only look lower due to the rim looks bigger.. u wont really notice the fender and tyre space...(visual effect) NOT that ur car is lowered like using a coilover... Also conti wont have a big space in the fender n wheel like any jap brand stock look...

there are alot of pro and cons to changing/modding. main thing is u are able to accept it, live n enjoy it to the best...

Guest mvdennis

the quote i got from AVP is $1350 for a full set. if you know of cheaper options please let me know!

no just the parts alone ... cash and carry.

installation for the full set should be around 300 i was told ....

Guest blackmercs

no just the parts alone ... cash and carry.

installation for the full set should be around 300 i was told ....

AVP? Alien Vs Predator!!