• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

A-class 180, options?

Joeyjoe

I also booked during CNY promo (late Feb) but I am still waiting for delivery. they only start to bid after 1.5 months for my case.

Mountain_goat, may I know colour of your car & if at point of booking SE informed delivery was in May ? ... still sian I have to wait so long & pay more !

Zigg - my SE said he will call me this weekend after returning from holiday. I will ask him about registration number.

• Like 1

Back when I collected mine after 3mths it was more of a shock cause didn't see style line before. After driving for a while realise even more shocking the underpowered engine and sluggy gearbox which may not be apparent during test drive. Had to either spend money or live with it

Impt is after a long wait when the car comes and got a nice new ride and enjoy it

• Like 2

Heidtb yours is an a180? Well. It's important to be realistic. This is probably the fastest cat A car out there. If you want speed and actual sport performance then its just not a good choice.

This is a car that appeals to people who want a slightly sporty car at a price point. Because it games the Coe system by being the cat a car with the highest torque over the widest powerband. Sadly you can't get much power from a heavy car with 122hp but that's the best one can do with cat a

Heidtb yours is an a180? Well. It's important to be realistic. This is probably the fastest cat A car out there. If you want speed and actual sport performance then its just not a good choice.

This is a car that appeals to people who want a slightly sporty car at a price point. Because it games the Coe system by being the cat a car with the highest torque over the widest powerband. Sadly you can't get much power from a heavy car with 122hp but that's the best one can do with cat a

The other options are the Audi A3 and Volvo v40. For myself, I was comparing the 1.4 Golf which has identical specs to the A180. However, the widespread negative feedbacks on the reliability of the dry clutch and the service level pull me away from the VW when i was evaluating the 2 choices.

Yah driving a180 now and tuned it up before, feel that with the a200 like tuned up power/torque choice is more acceptable for a 1.6turbo.

It's also best to avoid vw unless high end model. Previous ride was a vw 1.4tsi which had electronics kaput galore.

The other options are the Audi A3 and Volvo v40. For myself, I was comparing the 1.4 Golf which has identical specs to the A180. However, the widespread negative feedbacks on the reliability of the dry clutch and the service level pull me away from the VW when i was evaluating the 2 choices.

Actually A180 also using dual clutch transmission called DCT so you could eventually face the same problems as VW cars for gearbox issues. Suggest you be more heavy footed when driving and moving off from traffic light to prevent the clutch from wearing out. Essentially, allowing the car to creep forward at "half-clutch" position is not healthy for dual clutch transmission engines.

Actually A180 also using dual clutch transmission called DCT so you could eventually face the same problems as VW cars for gearbox issues. Suggest you be more heavy footed when driving and moving off from traffic light to prevent the clutch from wearing out. Essentially, allowing the car to creep forward at "half-clutch" position is not healthy for dual clutch transmission engines.

After doing some read-up in the net previously, i think the DCT using a wet clutch as opposed to the 1.4 DSG dry clutch which is having issues. But as the A class is relatively new (2012-2013), will think that most on the road are still under warranty and also, by the sighting on the road, the number of A class is a relatively small population in Singapore as comparison.

After doing some read-up in the net previously, i think the DCT using a wet clutch as opposed to the 1.4 DSG dry clutch which is having issues. But as the A class is relatively new (2012-2013), will think that most on the road are still under warranty and also, by the sighting on the road, the number of A class is a relatively small population in Singapore as comparison.

Actually for A Class horsepower and torque, dry clutch will be good enough instead of a wet clutch. Afterall, A class isn't a high torque high powered car but I guess Merc is afraid of the dry clutch concerns that may happen. :P

Definitely you gotta drive it very differently from a conventional auto. Imagine it as a manual car. Although I have not owned the car for a long time, here are some pointers.

1. Don't 'balance' the car on the slope with the accelerator. It's as bad as balancing on a half clutch
2. When you stop, step semi-firmly on the brake to completely disengage the clutch. There should be a very subtle change of vibration. (the subtle change of vibration is only noticeable with eco start stop set to OFF, for obvious reasons)

3. Accelerate at a moderate intensity. Not too hard or you'll be engaging the clutch while driveshaft and transmission are at very different speeds, thus worsening wear. Not too lightly or it will creep and half clutch

4. When creeping in traffic jams, might be good idea to shift into D1 manually and allow transmission to full clutch, rather than let it half clutch in D2 (the transmission doesn't shift into D1 until at a total standstill) 

Aiya. In summary. Drive it like a manual.

Actually for A Class horsepower and torque, dry clutch will be good enough instead of a wet clutch. Afterall, A class isn't a high torque high powered car but I guess Merc is afraid of the dry clutch concerns that may happen. :P

Realistically. If it were a sluggish 6-speed Aisin slushbox like many of the more conventional competitors, I don't think many of us would still have bought it. DCT comes with both its advantages (incredible 0-100 sprint times, efficiency, ability to make use of engine braking) and disadvantages (unknown reliability, downshift roughness, need to 'think' manual). So enjoy your ride and don't second guess your decision!

I never expect driving an automatic car can be that more complicated...

Cos people want powerful and fuel efficient cars with maximum convenience at the same time at low costs too so companies come up with engines like dual clutch transmission which aims to fulfill all these criterias. 

Realistically. If it were a sluggish 6-speed Aisin slushbox like many of the more conventional competitors, I don't think many of us would still have bought it. DCT comes with both its advantages (incredible 0-100 sprint times, efficiency, ability to make use of engine braking) and disadvantages (unknown reliability, downshift roughness, need to 'think' manual). So enjoy your ride and don't second guess your decision!

Honestly I feel that dual clutch engine gearboxes are the way to go as compared to CVT (old tech that Nissan & Toyota still using) and even formula one engines are using dual clutch concept I think. 

Yah driving a180 now and tuned it up before, feel that with the a200 like tuned up power/torque choice is more acceptable for a 1.6turbo.

It's also best to avoid vw unless high end model. Previous ride was a vw 1.4tsi which had electronics kaput galore.

So having driven both, how do u compare the drive of the A180 vs. 1.4 TSI?

Definitely you gotta drive it very differently from a conventional auto. Imagine it as a manual car. Although I have not owned the car for a long time, here are some pointers.

1. Don't 'balance' the car on the slope with the accelerator. It's as bad as balancing on a half clutch

2. When you stop, step semi-firmly on the brake to completely disengage the clutch. There should be a very subtle change of vibration. (the subtle change of vibration is only noticeable with eco start stop set to OFF, for obvious reasons)

3. Accelerate at a moderate intensity. Not too hard or you'll be engaging the clutch while driveshaft and transmission are at very different speeds, thus worsening wear. Not too lightly or it will creep and half clutch

4. When creeping in traffic jams, might be good idea to shift into D1 manually and allow transmission to full clutch, rather than let it half clutch in D2 (the transmission doesn't shift into D1 until at a total standstill)

Aiya. In summary. Drive it like a manual.

Intetesting!! What about driving down slope,from Genting highland ?

So having driven both, how do u compare the drive of the A180 vs. 1.4 TSI?

To be exact was driving the 1.4 twin charger which spec wise would be compared to a200.

Never thought 122/200 vs 160/250 would be so much diff in power.

Drive wise prob vw wins for gear shifting logic as often or not have to manually downshift with the a180 to change lane. Handling wise about the same.

Where the a180 shines is with the badge, styling, cabin quality etc.

To be exact was driving the 1.4 twin charger which spec wise would be compared to a200.

Drive wise prob vw wins for gear shifting logic as often or not have to manually downshift with the a180 to change lane. Handling wise about the same.

To me torque is more important than power since in SG, acceleration is probably more useful in most situations unless of course you drive up the NSHW often.

LOL right on man! The A180 is definitely a better buy if you are mainly a driver that looks at aesthetics, comfort and style. It's all about what kind of car you really want though I won't consider the Golf in the same class but maybe the BMW 1 series to be of similar comparison due to badge status mainly.

Intetesting!! What about driving down slope,from Genting highland ?

Not too sure about this but I suppose same rules apply. Use lower gear make good use of engine braking. I suspect the gearbox will do that for you. The algorithm is quite aggressive in engine braking

The E mode is too highly optimised for economy at the expense of responsiveness. For motoring enthusiasts who wanna be engaged it's still ok cause can anticipate and shift/ accelerate early to compensate. While at the same time enjoying the economy advantage of cruising at 1200rpm on expressways.

But those who just want a simple relaxed drive will get frustrated.

It's the laws of physics. If the car cruises at 1200rpm, it's gonna be impossible to perform quick overtakes without multiple gear shifts. Due to the nature of DCT, shifting more than 1 gear will always be sluggish

I found the thread about the VIN (vehicle identification number), it's in the 'New A180' thread. But guess no one manage to get it from the SE and track their shipping. Lol

Anyone here got the dashcam freebie from MB? What brand is it and how does it look like? anyone has a pic of it? I didn't pick the dashcam freebie but I'm thinking if I should as It will be installed "properly" when I get the car as I want the wiring to be hidden and connected directly into th dashboard.

• Like 1