• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

HID or white halogen

hayato

I don't like the stock yellow headlamp on my FL W204.

I am still considering whether to change to white halogen bulb or HID conversion with DRL dimmer. Not so much about the cost difference, but am worried about white ants if I cross over to the dark side.

Appreciate if can have a vote for consensus :

HID with DRL dimmer, or

White halogen lamp

Anyone had "white ants" problem after conversion to HID?

I have a same dilemma before too...

I have choosen to use HID reason is simple..but without DRL dimmer.

1. You will get the most lumens (how bright the light is). The point of going with HID light is that you will see more off the road.

2. HID Xenon bulbs are more durable than halogen lights

3. HID Xenon system uses less electricity from your car's electrical system

4. HID bulbs generates lower heat during operation

So far i didn't come across white ants after our ride...i crossing my finger too. :cool:

A good HID replacement is the best solution. But many aftermarket kits dont meet the standards. Problem is your existing lens. If projector type, much better. If the normal

reflector type, expect the light to be dimmer than what is advertised.

On singapore roads, I am sure aesthetic effect is better too.

I upgraded to HID on my msian proton V6. Cant remember the brand but it used Philips ballast. Taiwan kit though. The balast was good. The cheap bulbs didnt last. And the original reflector type housings couldnt focus the light properly either.

On a friend's Ferrari 512M, I upgraded to HID for him using a full Philips HID conversion kit that included bulb, ballast and wiring. Made in Germany. Bought from a vendor

in the U.S. at usd290 including shipping to me. The kit worked well. Problem again was the old type projector headlamps on the ferrari. It couldnt focus the light well. Colour

was great..whitish at 6000k

Can pose your HID done by Sonic.

Want to have a feel of how it looks like before going down.

Don't need to post, Sonic racing has their own thread:

Definitely HID.

White halogens will be DARKER than your typical yellow ones because of the blue film in front of bulb.

So far, passed 2 STA inspection with no problems.

P.S.: In both tests, the car failed the lamp luminous test. The system reported that it was too dim. I lol-ed. The administrator of the test didn't seem to care.

• 3 weeks later...

heard from the servicing agent at C&C that they will be launching the HID conversion package soon. Currently still undergoing trials to rectify technical issues.

C-Class Coupe (Dec 2011 to Nov 14)

CLA 45 AMG 

- Stock (Nov 14 to Jan 15)

- Renntech-Mercedes Stage 1 tune (Jan 15 to Sep 15)

- Team Rebellion Stage 1V2 + Gearbox remap tune (Sep 15 -)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am a new FL w204 owner... Just to double confirm... Upgrading to hid does it void the warranty from c&c??????

Welcome to the forum!

Anything you mod will definitely void the warranty for that particular part. Of course if your HID bursts and damages the headlight unit, don't go C&C and claim. But if your engine falls off, it's still covered as it has nothing to do with your HID mod.