• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

HID or white halogen

hayato

I've been using after mkt HIDs since 2000 paying as much as S$1K+ from Korea mfg Supervision.

After Mkt HIDs have got better, reliable and cheaper over the years.

The downside is not LTA approve!

I think it depends on the voltage of the HID you are using? 

If its too high and on the purplish side then yes, not approve..

I think it depends on the voltage of the HID you are using? 

If its too high and on the purplish side then yes, not approve..

Wattage of HIDs has no has direct reference to the color of the HID bulbs.

Purplish side are usually 8000K color or higher deg Kelvin and still remains at 35W

Nearer to day light is 6000K color can still be 35W

3000K or yellowish usually used in fog lamp can still be 35W while 4300K will be near to 55W std halogen bulb color.

When you buy after market HIDs, you usually have to specify to the seller what color of bulb( 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 10,000K, etc) you want

while the wattage of the HID remain constant i.e usually at 35W

Most HIDs including factory fitted runs on 35W while very few some after mkt runs on 55W

LTA do not specified what color of your HID bulbs are allowed be it 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 10,000K.

LTA specifically mentioned on their website - all after market HIDs are not allowed including high wattage halogen bulbs (replacement for your stock Halogen Bulb which is standard at 55W)

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/modifications_and_vehoffences/modification_guide/modification_not_allowed.html#

Head lamps
(e.g. aftermarket High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp kits, high wattage bulbs, etc.)

Vehicles should only be fitted with factory fitted HID lamps as they are designed to meet internationally recognised standards. Aftermarket HID lamp kits retrofitted into existing headlamps may cause unwanted glare when used. Therefore, installation of these kits are not allowed.

Replacement bulbs must be of a design recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Using a higher wattage bulb may increase the risk of fire because of a greater current being drawn to power these lamps. Therefore, these types of bulbs are not allowed.

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

HID is good if you frequent across the border, NS highway etc. But those aftermarket ones could be blinding to oncoming vehicles and post a safety hazard.

I am using Philip Diamond Vision 5000K white for my slk headlights and fogs, which I feel is bright enough for local roads. Been using for a few years with no issues and best part is when time to go for inspection..pass! :)

If ILS upgrade offered by C&C, I will be first to queue overnight. http://www.sgmerc.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.png

How I wish they would offer. But I reckon they will not offer such options.

Car Lights
FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20130407-0042

Please refer to your email of 7 April 2013.  

We would like to inform you that the Land Transport Authority (LTA) requires every headlamp fitted on the vehicle to be capable of showing a white light to the front of the vehicle. The intensity and alignment of a headlamp must be within the specified limits. The lamps must bear approved markings to show that they comply with international standards, such as those adopted in the European Union countries, Japan and the United States.

We have allowed the use of after-market halogen headlamps bulbs that emit whiter light with a colour temperature not exceeding 4000 Kelvin (K) and their wattage rating not exceeding that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. This is because they have met the relevant safety standards and can improve the visibility for the driver. We would have no objection to the use of such bulbs so long as they comply with our requirements and are suitable for use on the vehicles concerned.

Under the Road Traffic (Motor Vehicles, Lighting) Rules, the installation and use of additional or decorative vehicle lighting (both exterior and interior) on the roads are not allowed as these lights would cause distraction or confusion to the driver or other road users and affect road safety.

We hope the above clarifies and thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely

CEDRIC SEE WEE THAI

SENIOR ENGINEER

VEHICLE ENGINEERING DIVISION

LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Car Lights

FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20130407-0042

Please refer to your email of 7 April 2013.  

We have allowed the use of after-market halogen headlamps bulbs that emit whiter light with a colour temperature not exceeding 4000 Kelvin (K) and their wattage rating not exceeding that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. This is because they have met the relevant safety standards and can improve the visibility for the driver. We would have no objection to the use of such bulbs so long as they comply with our requirements and are suitable for use on the vehicles concerned.

Under the Road Traffic (Motor Vehicles, Lighting) Rules, the installation and use of additional or decorative vehicle lighting (both exterior and interior) on the roads are not allowed as these lights would cause distraction or confusion to the driver or other road users and affect road safety.

We hope the above clarifies and thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely

CEDRIC SEE WEE THAI

SENIOR ENGINEER

VEHICLE ENGINEERING DIVISION

LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY

Meaning only Halogen Bulb and must be 55W the std norm for car halogen bulb.

That means high wattage Halogen bulbs are not allow even Philips Crystal Vision 55W 4300K (yellow) not allow, Philips Diamond Vision 55W 5000K (near white) not allowed......muhahahaha!

Must ask LTA show me where to buy a after market 55W Halogen bulb that emits a white light and below 4000K......:) As good as not allowed LPPL!

I will past this info to my fren who's also a Snr engineer in LTA......hehehe!

• Like 2

Cheers

Do give us an update

Meaning only Halogen Bulb and must be 55W the std norm for car halogen bulb.

That means high wattage Halogen bulbs are not allow even Philips Crystal Vision 55W 4300K (yellow) not allow, Philips Diamond Vision 55W 5000K (near white) not allowed......muhahahaha!

Must ask LTA show me where to buy a after market 55W Halogen bulb that emits a white light and below 4000K...... :) As good as not allowed LPPL!

I will past this info to my fren who's also a Snr engineer in LTA......hehehe!

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Do give us an update

I've forwarded the LTA reply to my friend in LTA Engineering Dept.

I told him to ask his colleague got 55W white light halogen bulb <4000K color.

Pls wait for his reply! :)

• Like 1

Cheers

I WhatsApp my fren!

Not much of a reply

"I dont speak to this mofo"...muahaha :)

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...