• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Juddering wipers

Guest jtang

Nope armour-all is more of a rubber, leather protectant see the link below can be bought at almost every petrol station or ntuc and so on. Using it for ding dong years on rubber and dashboard and leather hahaha almost everything !

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Original-Protectant-%2810-oz-%29-Armor-All_7050046-P_N3305_T/GRP2074?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Shopzilla-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=25-1843352-2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dudemobile

Heard alot of ppl say negative comments about RainX (from ex-colleagues to car club memebers), but i've only had positive results on my past 4 cars in the last 10 yrs (the latest using Aero wipers). Only ever noise i hear is when the screen is dry (or stopped raining).

Is there an alternative to RainX that works with W204, allowing the rain to only form small beads, and let the wind blow it away? Thanks.

There was this NanoV that I tried on my 3 cars (2 still exists) & they work like Rain X but only need 1 permanent application. Sadly, that dealer closed down recently when I tried to send my new W204 there.

Guest vt5sport

Seems like so many diff and creative attempts to rid the judder...LOL!

Maybe I can share my own experience which worked previously for me on my Volvo. Had the same juddering problem and sent in to SM Mtrs to comprain.

Attempt 1:

SM polished the windscreen claiming i might have contaminated it wif the dust from polish. (very strange since i didn't polish the car....). Judder eliminated for 2 days and came back.

Attempt 2:

They adjusted the wiper tension claiming that it may be too 'stiff' hence causing drag across that's why judder. But judder remains.

Attempt 3:

They changed the wiper blades to softer, japanese silicone ones from PIAA. Worked for 3 mths. But judder came back.

Attempt 4:

They came up wif the most creative excuse - "It's like dat one" and claim the s'pore air dirty and hence windscreen easily contaminated, blah-blah-blah. (hmm...wonder if those non-juddering japs cars have different s'pore air circulation around them...?)

Gave up on them and decided to find my own cure.

Guest vt5sport

My home remedy which worked for me:

Steps:

1) Change the wiper blades to those cheap jap ones - Denso or NWB. (softer and more flexible)

2) Wash the windscreen wif mama lemon to truly rid any oil or contaminants. Rinse thoroughly.

3) Dry and Polish windscreen wif Autoglym Glass Polish.

4) Pour a bottle of those $1.50 blue colour windscreen washer fluid u get from petrol kiosks into the washer reservoir. Mix wif water but not too diluted.

5) Switch on wipers and spray & wipe continously until washer reservoir empty. Repeat step 4.

6) Let it settle for a while. Rinse off wif water.

Judder gone! Think the windscreen fluid helps to 'condition' the windscreen and wiper blades making the wipes smoother.

I also hv the habit of spraying a bit of windscreen water to wipe the windscreen every morning b4 setting off to clear the visible film of dirt. That prob helps to maintain the smooth wipes during the day. I've used Glaco windscreen water and it works juz as well.

Some things to note. When washing the car, do not use the same sponge for the tyres as the glass. The tyre shine or brake dust may contaminate the sponge. Also, dun use those 2-in-1 wash & wax shampoo on the windscreen. And of course, dun use rain-X.

Let me address some the points you raised.

1) Change the wiper blades to those cheap jap ones - Denso or NWB. (softer and more flexible)

For W204, there are no other compatible wipers available except for Borsch. Tried to change the wiper blade refills with cheap rubberones & silicones to the original blade body without success...gave up trying to slipped it in as it's damn difficult.

2) Wash the windscreen wif mama lemon to truly rid any oil or contaminants. Rinse thoroughly.

Checked..even used the Jiff with green gauze without success.

Checked...this one works with new wipers. Have to reapply every week or after a heavy downpour.

4) Pour a bottle of those $1.50 blue colour windscreen washer fluid u get from petrol kiosks into the washer reservoir. Mix wif water but not too diluted.

Checked...using the autoglym windscreen solution which is recommended with the polish for best results.

5) Switch on wipers and spray & wipe continously until washer reservoir empty. Repeat step 4.

Checked.

Checked.

Thanks bro.

Guest vt5sport

jtang wrote:

Let me address some the points you raised.

For W204, there are no other compatible wipers available except for Borsch. Tried to change the wiper blade refills with cheap rubberones & silicones to the original blade body without success...gave up trying to slipped it in as it's damn difficult.

Checked..even used the Jiff with green gauze without success.

Checked...this one works with new wipers. Have to reapply every week or after a heavy downpour.

Checked...using the autoglym windscreen solution which is recommended with the polish for best results.

Checked.

Checked.

Thanks bro.

I tried the autoglym washer fluid b4 too. Dunno why but somehow the cheapo $1.50 stuff seems to work better. Hope it works for u too, bro.

blackmercs wrote:

Guys give me another week or so, found a new product can solve the judder wiper thingy. Not another liquid solution thingy!! & of course, not by smashing Windscreen :).

Wah lau...i feel like shitting in my pants by your suspense leh. Can't wait to see what you say.

• 2 months later...

Bros, I have finally found the solution to this nuisance of juddering wipers. After 6 months of trying out various ways to resolve this from changing my wipers 5 times, glass polish with autoglym, rubber protectant with armorall & etc, I found that the problem lies with the glass alone. C&C loaned a W212 to me for 5 days of test drive recently(a marketing programme for doctors), & I found that they both share the same wipers even though the W212 has a cap over the attachment. The W212 has no problem with it's wipers, so I interchanged them & realised that my juddering wipers work perfectly on the W212. Vice versa, the W212's wipers judder on my car. Conclusion-definitely glass problem.

There's a film coating on our cars that were applied on transit by sea to protect the car from sea water. I realise that it needs a heavy duty polish to get rid of it once & for all.

Bros, try AUTOSOL!. It's a metal polish available at any hardware shop/supermarket. Used it once generously & give the glass a good rub down. Problem solved finally!

Guest blackmercs

W212 do hv this problem doc!! Me too using alots of methods, I try using melamine (is a white sponge) popular for cleaning fish tank but failed too. Hence back to the drawing board so clean with used newspaper method.

Guest bull_terrier

As mentioned in my earlier post, I gotten rid of the judders by sending for glass polishing. Can see the difference in water flow over the glass. May need to do another polish after sometimes I guess.

bull_terrier wrote:

As mentioned in my earlier post, I gotten rid of the judders by sending for glass polishing. Can see the difference in water flow over the glass. May need to do another polish after sometimes I guess.

What kind of glass polish is this? Where & who is doing this as I may want to check them out? Thanks.

Guest achuafc

jtang wrote:

Bros, try AUTOSOL!. It's a metal polish available at any hardware shop/supermarket. Used it once generously & give the glass a good rub down. Problem solved finally!

Hello Bro Jtang, after the application of autosol, what material did you use on the windscreen to give it a good rub down. Thereafter, you just used water to wash it away?

Hmmm...trying to rationalalise why the Autosol metal polish works out this way. It is suppose to polish up metal, but here we are, realising that it's the solution to our juddering wipers (by removing the coat of whatever which had been applied).

Use the auto sol like any glass polish. After a good rub down , buff it off with a any clean cloth. No need water. You'll see that the cloth stain black with the coating removed if there's any. The buffing off will need repeated effort to remove the autosol completely, otherwise you may get some oily stains when using the wipers.

YEN96 wrote:

i can get the wipers ( OEM, or aftermarket borsh etc....), provide me the part numbers. drop me a sms 9362 3352

Pls stop 'hijacking' this thread to sell your part lah...anyway the problem here is not the wipers but the glass.

Hi Guys, I have this problem ever since I start owning a car, until I found this solution. I have been using this for a couple of year and I must say it's pretty effective. It will last a couple of months before the juddles comes back due to grims, waxs and acid rains. The product is call Twister Spa Treatment for Windscreen. The website is http:\www.entrustauto.com. It can be purchase from Autobacs and cost about $54. There are a couple of steps you will need to follow and there are instructions inside the box. It solved my wiper problem. I have to agree it's the windscreen and not the wiper.

Guest johnnysng

Hi bro jtang, sorry to check with you. For the autosol to polish the windscreen, i thought it is for metal polishing. Will the compond in the autosol cause the windscreen to be scratched or not?

johnnysng wrote:

Hi bro jtang, sorry to check with you. For the autosol to polish the windscreen, i thought it is for metal polishing. Will the compond in the autosol cause the windscreen to be scratched or not?

Not at all. I 1st tried on my old spare car (hyundai Getz) before trying on the merc. Used a lot strength to scrub the glass & had no issue with scratch. But you'll need to repeated buffing to remove the cream when done. Start with a little autosol cream over a 1/4 windscreen & work your way thru out.