• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Today's hottest gossip

Ricebandit

Yahoo! News

Open

Speaker of Parliament and PAP MP Michael Palmer resigns due to 'improper conduct'

Yahoo! Newsroom – 33 minutes ago

Addressing more than 700 youth leaders, Speaker of Parliament Michael Palmer said Singapore is a considerable way from accepting and respecting one another's racial differences. (Photo courtesy of Lightly …more

Speaker of Parliament and Member of Parliament Michael Palmer has resigned from the People's Action Party and his Parliament position due to an "improper relationship" with a PA staff member in his constituency.

At a hastily arranged press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Pasir-Ris Punggol MP Palmer told local media he was resigning to avoid "further embarrassment" and he took "full responsibility" for the "grave mistake".

"I am deeply sorry, and apologise unreservedly to consituents and family," he said.

The staff member, who was working in the Pasir Ris Punggol GRC, has also resigned.

Palmer, a former St Andrews alumni, was elected as the MP for Punggol after defeating candidates from the Workers' Party and the Singapore Democratic Alliance at the 2011 May general election. The 44-year-old lawyer is married with one child.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean apologised to residents of Punggol East at the press conference.

"We will put things right and continue to look after you," he told local media.

Teo Ser Luck will take over Palmer's MP role in the constituency, while Charles Chong will take over the role of Acting Speaker of Parliament.

Palmer's resignation comes on the back of a series of high profile sex scandals involving politicians and top civil servants in the past year.

Workers' Party Yaw Shin Leong quit the party in February over allegations of marital infidelity.

Former Central Narcotics Bureau chief Ng Boon Gay and former Singapore civil defence chief Peter Lim are also facing jail time over sex-related corruption charges.

Copyright © 2012 Yahoo! Asia Pacific Pte Ltd

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Henry A. Kissinger

Going by past practice it is highly unlikely the PM will hold a by election in a GRC since his other MPs can cover for the demised member.

My bad - Punggol East is a SMC! So this may get interesting for the opposition ...

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121212-0000103/Michael-Palmer-resigns-as-Speaker,-MP

Vinyl Is Sexy!

...英雄难过美人关....since dunno when....

Is another case of "the hunter got hunted"!! Haiz

People do he also want to do....

These kind of eat is like mods, once u are caught - void warranty one. So if u want to eat dont be afraid, eat like no tml. Else stays stock. My pantry auntie say one.

• Like 1

These kind of eat is like mods, once u are caught - void warranty one. So if u want to eat dont be afraid, eat like no tml. Else stays stock. My pantry auntie say one.

Wah, like that also can link arr... your pantry auntie good leh..

BTW, is pantry auntie or pantie auntie??  Don't keh keh makan then say pantry hor....

You! you better remain faithful to your pantry lady.

Yes dear, promise faithful to each postal code CB.

Wah, like that also can link arr... your pantry auntie good leh..

BTW, is pantry auntie or pantie auntie??  Don't keh keh makan then say pantry hor....

Why so tiko peh one. She gives good tips and advise all these years. Why would i want to up her wor. I got Ruth liao leh, can hoot 7 times and still ask for more like Oliver Twisted story.