• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

FL W204 FC

jes

Main reason of bad fc is due to city driving. Can't really do much about it. Used to clock like at least 620-650 per tank, but now only 550 per tank.

Can try checking your tyre pressure. Higher the better for fc but don't overdo it. 240-250 kpa is fine

Switch to 98 instead. v-power is known for poor fc, though feeling is definitely shiok

thanks bro!

u can get 550per tank? tats very good liaoz!!! i only abt 380 like tat lor...

something is not right somewhere...

98 ah? hmmm... maybe i try... somebody was telling me v-power can improve fc...

i tried 95... quite jia lat also...

and u know wats the cute thing?

i tried mixing petrol before, as in topping up with 95 after finishing a tank of v-power... omg! the fc for this tank totally goes off man! like 16litres/ 100km lor!!!

took a few more tanks of v-power to bring it back to 13litres/100km...

from then on, i guai guai and faithfully and lan-lan-ly stick to v-power...

haha!

btw, yrs is wat ride? can get 550km per tank...

thanks bro!

u can get 550per tank? tats very good liaoz!!! i only abt 380 like tat lor...

something is not right somewhere...

98 ah? hmmm... maybe i try... somebody was telling me v-power can improve fc...

i tried 95... quite jia lat also...

and u know wats the cute thing?

i tried mixing petrol before, as in topping up with 95 after finishing a tank of v-power... omg! the fc for this tank totally goes off man! like 16litres/ 100km lor!!!

took a few more tanks of v-power to bring it back to 13litres/100km...

from then on, i guai guai and faithfully and lan-lan-ly stick to v-power...

haha!

btw, yrs is wat ride? can get 550km per tank...

Mines 1.6 and I drive like tortoise. 60/40 city and highway. Try 3 tanks of 98. Personally feel V-power gives shiok factor but very poor fc. Don't need it unless super car. Another way is to go to workshop like Chip Soon (highly recommended) and reset ur ecu values for driving pattern. Then drive slowly for a while. Will help a bit.

hi ppl:

i am driving a c200... it's registered 2009, facelift model... sitting on 18inch rims...

just got it early february this year...

i do abt 50% city drive and 50% highway...

i pump shell v-power... i always drive off in c mode...

i am pretty normal a driver in moving off; step on accelerator and abt 3000rpm, the car change gear...

on highways, i maintain abt 100km/hr... this is usually abt 2500rpm...

i usually drive by myself and i dont carry much load in my car...

all 4 of my tires are pumped 250psi...

my fc, as shown on the onboard reading, is always abt 13km/ 100litre, which is only 7.69km!

which means for a full tank of petrol, the reserve light will come on at abt 350-380km!

i read with interest in the forum that some drivers can get 12km/l on their c200...

can anybody tell me why such discrepany even though it's the same car?

and in so saying, how can i improve on my fc?

Incidentally, your 2009 W204 is a FL model?? When you took over the car this year, did you check the car's last service date or the full service history for that matter? What's the current mileage on the odometer (can be tampered)?

I would strongly suggest you give your car a full service & you will see a significant difference. As the car is already more than 3 yrs & out of warranty, bring it to a good workshop outside for better value service job. I also recommend that you check out & add liquid moly Curetec( for added lube), valve cleaner & engine flush when you service. The car should revert to brand new state with better FC.

curious. the minimum our car can take is 95, but some still put 98.

does it give more power and mileage?

I'm on iPad, can't post BMW specs sheet. They put disclaimer on optimum mileage and power output based on using RON 98 though RON 95 is recommended. In summary, RON 98 does give slightly better power and mileage.

Personal experience. Driven bigger cc cars and current small one. For bigger cc cars, RON doesn't really matter. For smaller cc cars and turbo/supercharged cars, RON 98 does give significantly better mileage. About 10-15%. But that's just me. Don't know about the rest, maybe just fell good/placebo effect....

Check this out :

http://www.pml-bmw.com.sg/asia_dl/sg_en/newvehicles/3series/sedan/2011/_shared/pdf/BMW_3series_sedan_catalogue.pdf

Incidentally, your 2009 W204 is a FL model?? When you took over the car this year, did you check the car's last service date or the full service history for that matter? What's the current mileage on the odometer (can be tampered)?

I would strongly suggest you give your car a full service & you will see a significant difference. As the car is already more than 3 yrs & out of warranty, bring it to a good workshop outside for better value service job. I also recommend that you check out & add liquid moly Curetec( for added lube), valve cleaner & engine flush when you service. The car should revert to brand new state with better FC.

Good advice, I just went to Chip Soon to check the ATF too, just in case the ATF deteriorated, though chances are slim. Maybe my mileage is pretty low too. 37k km for almost 2 1/2 year car.

same here, my OBC says i am doing 13.6L/100km!! :startle:

my previous car which was a 2liter with high-pressure turbo is doing around that number.. and that was with some floor-to-metal redline thrashing 'fun'.

yes, send it in for servicing, if u have got the car 2nd-hand, having bad fc and not know the previous servicing history (damn cnc say confidential and refused to share it with me.. what confi nonsense when i own the car now and not know who the previous guy was)

some area to check: engine & transmission oils & plugs, and probably wheel alignment (if u find it veer badly).

Mines 1.6 and I drive like tortoise. 60/40 city and highway. Try 3 tanks of 98. Personally feel V-power gives shiok factor but very poor fc. Don't need it unless super car. Another way is to go to workshop like Chip Soon (highly recommended) and reset ur ecu values for driving pattern. Then drive slowly for a while. Will help a bit.

ok ok.

thanks!

i will give it a try...

• Like 1

er... nvr leh... but the salesman says car is due for servicing, so i serviced it after driving for few weeks or so... so is this considered a full service?

the mileage when i took it was 45000km... i drove abt 10000km already, so now is 55000km...

wats liquid curetec? is it engine oil?

i just pumped a full tank today... put in 43.48litre... clocked 294km since my last topup...

did some maths...

294km divided by 43.48litre = 6.7617KM/L!!!!

no wonder i feel tat i am getting poorer!!!

any brothers out there with such similar experience and solutions?

Sad to say this car is heavy in its class. That also explains e solid thud u hear as e car doors shut. Try to see if u can replicate e thud on jap rides.

If u wanna upgrade rims, must choose carefully else FC worse.

For me, inflated +3psi to factory recommendation. Anyway there's similar thread somewhere back on this topic. Search for it.

E new 1.6 TC edition will achieve relatively better FC though.

i just pumped a full tank today... put in 43.48litre... clocked 294km since my last topup...

did some maths...

Bro your FC is very poor. Either you are super heavy footed or you should send your car for a check soon.

Sad to say this car is heavy in its class. That also explains e solid thud u hear as e car doors shut. Try to see if u can replicate e thud on jap rides.

If u wanna upgrade rims, must choose carefully else FC worse.

For me, inflated +3psi to factory recommendation. Anyway there's similar thread somewhere back on this topic. Search for it.

E new 1.6 TC edition will achieve relatively better FC though.

got to check also that the tyre's entire flat surface is touching the ground, not only the middle portion, or the sides off the ground.. as it means that you have already over-inflated them.

did some maths...

i was only doing your mileage when i was with my previous car... flooring to redline all the way :devil:

in addition to servicing with new oils, u may also want to consider resetting the ecu? u can diy.. seen it somewhere in this forum, u can do a search.

also while at the mech, get them to check the fuel lines or smell for leaks (not-quite possible, but who knows)?

on my pre-fl c180k, i am doing around 680-700km for around 6x+liters ron 95 pumped (i drive until light on).

travel pattern about 75-80% highway, with occasional pedal-to-metal fun. :D

So far running for ard 4000km since got my car in mid-May, the worst i get due to city driving is ard 7.8km/L (12.8L/100km).

Yes...i fully understand your emotions bcos i am also pretty frustrated at that time bcos based on nowadays engines technology in continental car models (Economy mode, Sports mode, Supercharged or Turbo-charged etc), having such FC figures is pretty unbearable.

But, as a few brothers here mentioned, when u close the doors, or when the rain drops fall on the roof-top....the quietness, the passive sound insulation and the comfort feeling is something of an enjoyment which u will tend to overlook.

Take it as a give and take, super-charged is designed to give high revs in first two gears for the low end pick-up...i rev till 2.5 rpm and release to drop gears, monitor traffic lights in a distance and other tips to conserve fuel....

Average i can hit is still 9+km/L, and the journey is with highway driving....=)

PS: Heard also from a couple of my friends that new cars the engine is pretty tight...let it run ard 5000+ km and above the FC will more or less stabilize and better.... hope it makes you feel better....=)

Agree with androoler, been running for 6000km. the FC more or less stabilize when it reached 3000km. So with abit of luck in Singapore driving it can get me 10.5L/100Km.

But I do notice that if i select S mode in city driving, the FC is better than in E mode. Probably it pushes the car faster then it upshifts faster (of course release the paddle at 2500rpm), thus FC improves.

• 4 weeks later...

dear folks... some updates...

i am not sure if previously my driving method was called heavy footed; my gear change was abt 2500 to 3000rpm... fc was 6 to 7km/litre...

anyway, i changed my driving habit recently... i controlled my right foot to bring the gear change to abt 2000rpm... fc got better... now i can get 7 to 8km/litre... trade off is that moving off is slower at this rpm range...

it's only abt 3 full tanks since i adopted different driving habit but i would reckon going forward, being this light footed will improve/ maintain my fc... i have read abt doing ecu remapping to improve fc cos it optimises the combustion/ supercharger ratio (or something like that)... maybe i will give that a shot in time to come...

any bros has done ecu mapping before and has some testimonies to share?

Model Type: 180K

Mileage: 5000

Driving Profile: 70% highway & 30% City

Driving Style: Mild heavy footer with occasions off the lights into the 5000 to 6000rpm range

Driving Habit: Put to "E" mode on cold engine and drive gracefully. Switch to "S" mode after engine oil temp hits 90

Consumption: 8.5 to 10.5 L/100km

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...