• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New Old Merc

owm

Greetings!

Thought I create this thread. My folks used to be MB owners way back in the 80s and 90s (W123, W124, W210).

I now carry on the tradition but have gone back in time with a W126!

However, the car is not a SG-plate but a MY-plate that I use to move around in Malaysia as I am currently working and staying there.

Will try and contribute to the classic Benz sub-forums where I can!

A pic of my 1988 W126 300SE:

318248_387865921264015_100001218329051_1114317_160709257_n.jpg

ZoomButt.gif

7341297598_97c7140d08.jpg

1988 W126 300SE - Schwartz-Blau with grey velour interior/trim

ZoomButt.gif

that is a fine example. my late father had that series. i recall it was built like a tank. overengineering FTW!

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

I would if the meet is in Malaysia :)

I can't drive this car into Singapore as it is Malaysian-registered and I am Singaporean.

Welcome to Sgmerc. Why not join us in the next meetup and show us your car?

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Thank you. The problem is people's perception that since it is built like a tank, one can just use it with minimal maintenance which explains the numerous poor condition specimens around :D

There are some areas which technology has improved on since then like:

1. The really crappy A/C system

2. Troublesome vacuum locking system

But generally the car is a testament to teutonic build quality which explains why parts are still being manufactured, it had a 10yr manufacturing cycle and it is still seen on the roads today. I give it another 10 years and I will still see it on the road!

that is a fine example. my late father had that series. i recall it was built like a tank. overengineering FTW!

ZoomButt.gif

Thank you. The problem is people's perception that since it is built like a tank, one can just use it with minimal maintenance which explains the numerous poor condition specimens around :D

There are some areas which technology has improved on since then like:

1. The really crappy A/C system

2. Troublesome vacuum locking system

But generally the car is a testament to teutonic build quality which explains why parts are still being manufactured, it had a 10yr manufacturing cycle and it is still seen on the roads today. I give it another 10 years and I will still see it on the road!

Can't say much about the A/C but once you troubleshoot your vacuum system it should bring you another good few years of operation until the hoses or pump system wears again.

Makes more sense to run it in Malaysia man. Longer roads to stretch ze German legs plus cheap fuel!

Here's a rare W126 for you - Koenig SEC

w126versI(2).JPG

• Like 1

^^Looks like what Tim Burton's Bruce Wayne would drive on a daily basis :D

I suspect my A/C system has been modified before. Turning the temperature wheels does nothing. Turning the air vent flaps does nothing. Rear vent air output is pathetic. Hmmm....

Yea, this car is great at 110~120 km/h highway speeds. Acceleration is stately, not brisk but once it reaches cruising speeds, it is poised and comfy.

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the air-con system. It is not cold enough and the rear vent air output is very low. May I know if this is an issue with W126s which I could not do much to improve or something that can be fixed up?

^^You have to check if your A/C system is still stock R12 or has been converted to R134a then get it serviced. If not cold, then either:

1. Low on gas

2. Blower motor and/or evaporator needs cleaning

For the rear vent output, I am going to strip open the center console and check the flap that operates the rear vent. It may be sealed shut.

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

I am going to start a thread in the S-class forum to showcase my ride and DIY exploits to hopefully draw out more fellow W126 lovers :)

ZoomButt.gif

• Like 1

ZoomButt.gif

^^Yea, I love the SEC but used car price and road tax is insane...even in Malaysia!

I wonder if I should do a front end conversion to the SEC...hmmm....

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

^^Yea, I love the SEC but used car price and road tax is insane...even in Malaysia!

I wonder if I should do a front end conversion to the SEC...hmmm....

ZoomButt.gif

Wah lau that is sacrilegious man.. Leave the sedan as a sedan!!