• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

April Driveaway Trip to Penang (OLD)

Guest angela

Guest millionmilebenz

mmb, high speed but low rev = no extreme wear and tear, and little stress on the engine? ???

True, for normal NS highway speed may be ok, but it all depends on how fast you drive, hehehe... :P

Higher speed = higher drag = heavier load on the engine. IMHO if the RPM gets up to 5000+ then it's probably not so relaxing for the engine. :'(

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

I wouldn't do this trip to Genting with my new car.

Daimler allows customers to collect their cars from the factory in Sindelfingen so that they can drive home to any part of Europe. So, merc engines are in a sense run-in.

However, taking the car up and down Genting is pretty stressful to the engine, brakes and gears for a new car. This is my take, I may be wrong. But, what the heck, do I want to take the risk with my new car? You decide.

hi,

I just called my SE, he said run in at 1000km, engine and parts can go up genting.

Any comments?

Do you guys wheel lock your steering in KL or Genting?

sillywilly ]

notti ]

I am collecting my B170 next week and thinking of driving to Genting and KL over the weekend.

You guys think those places are safe (i mean - no convoy?)

Is it a myth that u shouldn' wrote:

KL is relatively safer compared to JB. from my experience its quite save to drive there. of course make sure your car is parked in view when you' wrote:

I may not be an expert on this, but I wouldn't use my brand new car to embark on a long-distance trip that requires driving at high speeds for a few hours, not to mention the uphill climb to Genting! Those are situations that place higher stress on your engine.

mmb, high speed but low rev = no extreme wear and tear, and little stress on the engine? ???

as for the run in, here is my old school of thoughts.

don't rev above 2000 rpm

don't drive above 80 km/h

do your servicing once you hit 1000km

don't drive above 100

once you hit 2000km/h you can drive as per normal

but don't stress your engine

do another servicing at 5000km

thereafter you can WOT your car as you like till it hit limiter. kidding

opps... i did all the DON'Ts the day i got my car :P

park head in with steering turn to either side (extreme) and than switch off your engine.

kompressor, bcuz most of our cars are rear wheel drive, shouldn't we park head out as our parking brake locks the rear wheels instead? ???

Guest kepiting1sg

park head in with steering turn to either side (extreme) and than switch off your engine.

kompressor, bcuz most of our cars are rear wheel drive, shouldn't we park head out as our parking brake locks the rear wheels instead? ???

When you parked rear in and when the car jackers jacked up your front, the rear brakes are of no use. Your car will be dragged right out of the packing lot easily.

When you parked your car head in and locked your steering at extreme L or R, if there are cars or pillars on either side of your car, your car will not be easily be dragged out of the parking lot when the car jackers jacked up your rear end to pull out your car from the parking lot.

When you parked rear in and when the car jackers jacked up your front, the rear brakes are of no use. Your car will be dragged right out of the packing lot easily.

When you parked your car head in and locked your steering at extreme L or R, if there are cars or pillars on either side of your car, your car will not be easily be dragged out of the parking lot when the car jackers jacked up your rear end to pull out your car from the parking lot.

if they drag the car out in P, won't it ruin the transmission almost immediately? Cuz AFAIK if put in park the transmission is locked to the gear box or smt...?

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

kepiting1sg ]

kompressor, bcuz most of our cars are rear wheel drive, shouldn' wrote:

Izzit possible to straight the wheels manually by turning the wheels?

Izzit possible to straight the wheels manually by turning the wheels?

I don't think thats possible if the key isn't inserted or the engine isn't on.

I had a 2003 toyota corolla once, and when i took out the key, and accidentally turned the steering wheel, there was a click sound and the steering column was locked, and i couldn't start the car... i had to turn the wheel and crank at the same time to start the car... a bit confusing, sorry my explanation is kinda lousy..

Another example is my dad's 1994 W202 C180... sometimes when we drove it, put gearshift to D, and sometimes gear 1 wouldn't engage... so one during, while cruising out of our car park, when we reduced speed, it tried to downshift from 2, but didnt engage gear 1. den my dad put to N and tried restarting the car (while we were still in motion). We nearly hit a pillar cuz the steering wheel locked and wouldnt turn once we switched off the engine..

thanks for all your friendly advice, i may drive my other car next weekend to KL/ Genting instead.

As for Penang, I can only cfm closer to end Feb.

Btw, is it better to travel via Tuas or Woodlands checkpoint?

SE called, I am collecting w245 tomw :)

i dun suggest you drive your new babe to k.l even before a proper run in. all dealer always say it is o.k as already run in by factory, that is how they make money from after sales service from your wear & tear.

why dun you bear with it till April and join us to penang? it is going to be more fun than to genting.

thanks for all your friendly advice, i may drive my other car next weekend to KL/ Genting instead.

As for Penang, I can only cfm closer to end Feb.

Btw, is it better to travel via Tuas or Woodlands checkpoint?

SE called, I am collecting w245 tomw :)

hi notti,

its better to travel from tuas, but at a much higher cost, more toll charges.

hmmm sat collect W245, than sunday come down for meetup lor!!

kallang carpark H from 5pm to 7pm!!

Upz Upz Upz

Anyone interested to join us in April driveaway trip to Penang?

Depart - 11th morning (4.00am), Arrive Penang 11th morning (1.00pm)

Return - 14th noon (1.00pm), Arrive SG 14th night (10.00pm)

3 nights stay in Penang

1. Kompressor x 1

2. Sy69u - 2 (prefer morning drive to & fro)

3. CBlack - x ?? (tentative)

4. Victor - x 1

5. keltanky - x ?? TBC( prefer early morning drive lei, like start from 4am)

6. Cklasse - x 2 (will confirm but very interested).

7. MMB - x 2

8. SillyWilly - x 2 (having attachment during then, will try to take leave)

9. Sableko x 2

10. Jenvid x 1

11. Jeff Keng x 2 (11th April can!)

12. Protoss x 2 1/2 (TBC) (Prefer 1am start drive )

Closing date 28th Feb 2008

Will break into 2 group, 10 each for easy management.

Guest millionmilebenz

The new members who joined us at Kallang today, please put down your names quickly if you're interested to go!

Again, the dates are:

Depart - 11th Apr (Fri) morning (4.00am), Arrive Penang in the afternoon (probably around 3.00pm)

Return - 14th Apr (Mon) morning (10.00am?), Arrive SGP at night (9.00pm)

Are you guys comfortable between 160-180?

I'm very comfortable with that speed... maybe can hit over 200 down some straights?

but my speed limiter come on liao and say "don't drive so fast..." haii... :P :P :-[

anybody decided to go on which side?

You need to drive a little faster...sleepy at 110km for this long distance.

Prefably someone who has GPS & has been there should lead the way.

I don't mind to be the "sentinal". My 2 cents.

You need to drive a little faster...sleepy at 110km for this long distance.

Prefably someone who has GPS & has been there should lead the way.

I don't mind to be the "sentinal". My 2 cents.

Jeff... before i forget... can you... help me buy back 1 big packet of Mary's Pork Floss roll? She is at the coffeeshop beside evergreen hotel. The one with blonde hair and her products with her picture on it. Please please please... actually... make it 2 big packets ;D

Jeff... before i forget... can you... help me buy back 1 big packet of Mary's Pork Floss roll? She is at the coffeeshop beside evergreen hotel. The one with blonde hair and her products with her picture on it. Please please please... actually... make it 2 big packets ;D

Anything for you dear, provided i can find this place first lah! kekeke

Jeff Keng ]

Jeff... before i forget... can you... help me buy back 1 big packet of Mary' wrote:

Anything for you dear, provided i can find this place first lah! kekeke

Confirm can lah. It's near gurney drive. row of coffeeshop beside the hotel we stayed in during david's wedding.