• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Aircondition leak on Cclass 2015 w205, remove dashboard to change coil / evaporator

Benzw205

hello,

My aircondition is not cool anymore after 6 years without doing anything (I don't know if I should have done some maintenance ?), but when I add some gas, it's cool again.
Is it correct to think that we should never have to add any gas ? So it means that it's leaking ?

And if it's leaking, is it true that we have to remove the dashboard to change the evaporating coil (or anything it is called) ?

Is it the only solution to fix aircon problem ? and if anyone removes the full dashboard, is it better to just change the whole aircon system, compressor included ? (where is it located please?)

Finally, do you know how can any garage / mechanic be sure that the evaporator coil is leaking without removing the dashboard ? Just because gas level is lower means that evaporator is leaking ? There is no other solution ?

Thank you so much for your help

• Benzw205 changed the title to Aircondition leak on Cclass 2015 w205, remove dashboard to change coil / evaporator
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, so I used a gas leak detector and it seems that the leak is really around the evaporator coil.

Is there really nothing else to try but remove the dash completely to change the coil ?

I might prefer to refill few times a year until I decide to change it if the only solution is to remove the dashboard.

By the way, do you know if when evaporator coil has a leak, compressor oil could also leak from the evaporator ? As it seems that oil is mixed with gas in the system ?

Or maybe most oil will remain in the compressor and can hardly leak from the system ?

If oil can leak from the evaporator coil, should I find oil under the car when parked ?

thanks again !

• 5 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, Benzw205 said:

Just wondering what is this forum made for, finally 🙂

Bro, try Yigo  Automobile at UBI who are highly recommended within the group or Chip Soon at Tampines who are Merc expert. I changed my entire air con sys at Chip Soon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 1:51 PM, Benzw205 said:

hello,

My aircondition is not cool anymore after 6 years without doing anything (I don't know if I should have done some maintenance ?), but when I add some gas, it's cool again.
Is it correct to think that we should never have to add any gas ? So it means that it's leaking ?

And if it's leaking, is it true that we have to remove the dashboard to change the evaporating coil (or anything it is called) ?

Is it the only solution to fix aircon problem ? and if anyone removes the full dashboard, is it better to just change the whole aircon system, compressor included ? (where is it located please?)

Finally, do you know how can any garage / mechanic be sure that the evaporator coil is leaking without removing the dashboard ? Just because gas level is lower means that evaporator is leaking ? There is no other solution ?

Thank you so much for your help

Few things that may be faulty.

cooling coil, Aircon fan, compressor.

cooling coil is under dashboard and yes have to dismantle so about 1 full day job. It is also the most costly.

Aircon fan and compressor are in the engine bay. I hope it’s probably just a gas leak for you and by flushing and topping up it may do the trick. Otherwise it will be costly. I went to Edwin garage AMK to do mine. Cooling coil at 1.3K

2 hours ago, Edmundd said:

Few things that may be faulty.

cooling coil, Aircon fan, compressor.

cooling coil is under dashboard and yes have to dismantle so about 1 full day job. It is also the most costly.

Aircon fan and compressor are in the engine bay. I hope it’s probably just a gas leak for you and by flushing and topping up it may do the trick. Otherwise it will be costly. I went to Edwin garage AMK to do mine. Cooling coil at 1.3K

In cas of leak only flushing and topping up is useless. A correct AC system does dot leak