• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

E230 (W211) Worth the repair?

Hi everyone,

Recently (around 4 months?) my W211 have been popping out with problems after problems. Initially was loud humming sound when accelerating on low RPM, error signs appearing on dash and i actually thought it wont be affecting my drive so no action was taken :unsure:.

Until this week, the car begin to jerk/vibrate (also only low RPM) and noticed a decrease in performance, very unresponsive in throttle.

Visited workshop and was asked to do a gearbox overhaul (also means no car for 4 days :blink:) and some other replacement as priced below: 

• Gear box overhaul     $4000
  • Spark Plug                 $25 x 4 = $100
  • Ignition coil                $125 x 6

I guess old car = more problems is true  :(

I have been visiting workshop several times from the start of the chain but was reluctant as I only have 1yr 4m more to drive it, car will be going to scrapyard afterall (always hesitating whether its worth to spend this money on a 9yo car), but now I'm getting worried it might not last until then. I even checked with scrapyard and was offered $5000 for a used gearbox (was expecting less though)  :o

Not an expert or experienced in merc but is the price quoted reasonable? Repair or scrap? Workshop recommendations are welcomed too. Open to suggestions  :)

Try this place for Transmission repairs. It's the only workshop in this region that's approved by ZF (Germany).

Apparently not many workshops can open the gearbox for repairs, that's why it's easier for them to sell either brand new or recon ones.

JPowertrain Pte Ltd

Look for Roger Chang.

Tel: 62143633

• Like 1

I m in your same shoe before, dump the ride and move on. Reason is that "whats next"? Do take note that common car that are less than a year old dealer will ask u to scrap it or offer u at scrap value pricing. U cant blame them as they are taking risk too. My previous ride left only one year 3 months after the ten year scrap value got back at 28k dealer dealer offer me 36k. I just trade it without hesitating much as i m expecting more issue to come. Alot of my buddies say why I so desparate? Yap they are not in my shoe!! talk is cheap!!

Just check, the car was sold when i check with the dealer he kbkp saying gear box die after going for another ATF oil change. They sold it a loss and claimed that sold lower than my take in price of 36k.The dealer didnt knew that I spend at least 6k plus to keep it going as i brought it when left it only left 3 years.

This version E230 GB price is about there, if you want to extend another lap, i would safely say, go ahead do overhaul.

it's one of the major issues related to E230

Thanks for the feedback, but right now not looking at extending COE for this E230, high cost for a 10 yo car. 

Try this place for Transmission repairs. It's the only workshop in this region that's approved by ZF (Germany).

Apparently not many workshops can open the gearbox for repairs, that's why it's easier for them to sell either brand new or recon ones.

JPowertrain Pte Ltd

Look for Roger Chang.

Tel: 62143633

Hmmm, might be visiting for check soon, thanks. 

I m in your same shoe before, dump the ride and move on. Reason is that "whats next"? Do take note that common car that are less than a year old dealer will ask u to scrap it or offer u at scrap value pricing. U cant blame them as they are taking risk too. My previous ride left only one year 3 months after the ten year scrap value got back at 28k dealer dealer offer me 36k. I just trade it without hesitating much as i m expecting more issue to come. Alot of my buddies say why I so desparate? Yap they are not in my shoe!! talk is cheap!!

Just check, the car was sold when i check with the dealer he kbkp saying gear box die after going for another ATF oil change. They sold it a loss and claimed that sold lower than my take in price of 36k.The dealer didnt knew that I spend at least 6k plus to keep it going as i brought it when left it only left 3 years.

Thanks for the suggestion coming from someone who went thru this before, blackmercs. But why didnt you save 6K on repair and scrap at your 1yr 3m mark for the COE/Parf rebate?

I meant when i brought it, i spend $6k plus to keep the car going as its got another 3 years more before scrap. Then when its left 1 year 3 months mark, the car shows sign of malfunction. which likely cost me another $6k!! So i choose to give it up then spending so much money getting it repair. Likely by the time i resolved the issues is time for scrap. For my car the cash back is $28k so is not worth extending coe. Apart from this, "whats next" always comes to my mind and having loose sleep over it? To me, owning a car is to enjoy not getting worried!!

Agree bro, but it's like 2 sides of the same coin.

I spent 16k repairing on my  W221 during my last 18 months of countdown to coe expiry on the regular wear and tear parts and some itchy backside upgrades.

I had sleepless nights contemplating whether to keep and extend coe or to scrap few months before coe expiry.

Finally decided to extend since i have already spent that amount and likely to be able to enjoy problematic free ride from those changed parts for the next few years without worry.

But of course, some may say that the unchanged parts may faced the "What if", especially the gear box and Engine ECU problem. But again, nobody can guarantee that getting another 2nd hand car won't face some unlucky issue that may need dig a big hole in your wallet, unless you buy a new car with warranty.

Finally, its that  attachment of sentimental feelings on my car and the wonderful ride it provides that makes me decide to bite the bullet and forgo the 45k scrap value and to keep it longer.

Totally agreed with J888. Even new car u can get lemon but at least u know there are listening ears. If u plan to buy another used car is better to purchase a used Mercs as its not "Good for nothing"!!