• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C&C Service Not Safe - Safety Procedures Not Followed

s343920

Hi,

I'd like to share with you my recent experience with C&C service. I have been a mercedes customer for years in multiple countries and given my experience below I now know that I get an unsafe and over priced service when compared to other Mercedes locations i.e. Australia. Anyway, here is the formal letter of grievance I have just sent Mercedes that highlights the two most recent events. I'm hoping that none of you suffer from the same issue. I have now had to swap garages to ensure that my car is safely serviced and that I'm not over charged by 100% for the same genuine Mercedes Parts:

-----------------------

To Whom It May Concern,

I would like to lodge a formal grievance with Mercedes Singapore for the following:

1. Refusal to use customer supplied genuine Mercedes parts for my service – on the 17th my car was put into service, I supplied genuine Mercedes brake pads, disc rotors, sensors and brake fluid. Mercedes Singapore refused to use these parts even though they were genuine Mercedes parts. In Australia – my second home and where I own another Mercedes, I was told by Service management that they would of course allow the use of any Mercedes genuine spare part in my service. Due to Mercedes Singapore refusal to use Mercedes genuine parts I was left with no choice but to go to another garage to have them installed and continue to have a standard service with Mercedes that day. I have documents showing Mercedes Singapore refusal to use the parts supplied by myself.

2. Safety checks not done on my car leading to an incident endangering the life of my wife and my two 4 week old twins – The day after the service with Mercedes on the 17th, as mentioned above I took my car to another service centre to have the brakes replaced. It was at this service centre that it was highlighted to me that my tires were dangerously worn and needed immediate replacement. I instantly called Mercedes Service centre and asked why I wasn’t told about this, Vincent the service representative replied that they had failed to give me the safety report which the mechanic clearly wrote that the tires needed replacement. I asked for Vincent to get his manager to contact me to discuss this dangerous oversight, I waited all day and no one called even after repeated escalations. The next morning, my wife’s car suffered a tire failure while driving. Luckily no one was injured and I had to replace the failed tire on the side of the road. My wife was travelling with our two newly born twins to the doctors for their first check-up. It was only after this incident that Salim the customer service manager agreed to call me back. His reply to me was I did know of the issue, albeit the day after the service when I called Vincent to complain and that Mercedes were not able to rectify the situation.
I would like to know why Mercedes refuses to use genuine spare parts in Singapore while in other countries it honours its own products. I would also like to know why Mercedes thinks it’s acceptable to charge people for safety checks and then not notify customers when there is a serious safety issue. I have had to chase and chase Salim for any kind of response, it was only when I threatened legal action for what nearly happened to my wife and children that he called me back. It took him three days to reply.

I would like this matter appropriately resolved. I hope this matter will be treated with the seriousness it deserves and that all is done to rectify the relationship to avoid any form of litigation. I will pursue legal avenues if I do not hear back from Mercedes in the next 7 days.

Do you have a copy of your service report with C&C?? Is yes, can share with us!! Is sad that they did not meet your requirements!

No doubt C&C should have alerted you but I am puzzled, if the tyres are dangerously worn out, why did you let your wifey drive out with the new born twin?

Very good question. While there may be an oversight on the part of CnC in not informing him of the condition of the tyres, the other workshop did and yet the TS did not take immediate action to rectify the situation thus endangering his own family. IMHO and based on his presentation of the facts the TS is just as culpable.

Sorry to say this but stop passing the buck mate - you'd should've changed the tyres once you were informed. If anything had happened to your family you are at fault. Just be glad nothing did and I hope you got your tyres changed first before you started writing letters and posting in forums. You have a peaceful holiday season and stay safe.

• Like 2

Vinyl Is Sexy!

No doubt C&C should have alerted you but I am puzzled, if the tyres are dangerously worn out, why did you let your wifey drive out with the new born twin?

He was so hoping that C&C would change his tyres out of goodwill.... Damn bloody cheapo.... you cannot afford tyres... then go drive Flintstone car.... they use feets.... no tyres needed.... wait till something to happen to his family then come go cry father cry mother.... weirdo.... :cigar:  :cigar:  :cigar:

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

I just came back from changing my tires actually. I changed them the next day as I was only informed yesterday of the tires being worn. This is my wife's car and has been serviced by C&C for over two years. At no stage did they check the tire wear before this. You go to a service expecting that all safety aspects are checked.

After I wrote this I actually went back to C&C to get the QC report - the one they never handed to me saying the tires were worn. They checked the tire pressure of my tires and all tires were below 20psi, even the mechanic who checked them was surprised it was not checked. So for those who think this is acceptable I don't agree.

I'll upload the QC report shortly for the person asking... I also have video of the service person admitting the QC report was not handed to me and I also have a video of the Mercedes mechanic showing the tire pressure was never checked and below 20 psi. I really do find it amazing people are trying to defend C&C here, you shouldn't expect car owners to check tire wear, that's what the regular checks are for and that's why you pay C&C more than double other garages to perform the service.

Sorry to hear about your episode, s343920... it was unfortunate that somehow C&C did not bring the tyre issue to your immediate attention. That said, I hope you heed the advise above by the bros about attending to what's important first, next time coz... safety is paramount and should be the no. ONE priority. Fortunately the tyre failure didn't harm your family and perhaps in the future too you would like to consider having your ride towed to your favorite tyre shop to have them replaced instead of doing the change on the side of the road. From how you describe it, if something bad happened (thank goodness nothing did) and you chose to pursue legal action, you need to be aware that litigation is about assigning blame and there is this thing called contributory negligence. While C&C failed to alert you of the tyre situation, you were informed by another service centre of this problem. What that means is C&C failed to alert you and that's it... the question that follows would be, what did you do about it after being informed by another service centre of your tyre condition. Sorry bro... that's how the legal system works; here and anywhere else in the world that practice due process.

On the genuine Mercedes parts procured by you that you brought to them to instal in your ride by their technician in their premises, well that will NEVER happen in a million years. It seems mind boggling but, commercial reasons aside it has something to do with assumed liability. To cut long story short, while the parts that you brought to them may be genuine they cannot and will not assume responsibility for parts that were stored and handled by a third party. The agent-principal policies may be different in Oz when it comes to things like this; some are more sticky that others... I had to sign an indemnity agreement to indemnify the agent when I brought in my own radiator to replace my busted one when I was living in the US, and that's just a radiator... yours is a brake system bro! 

Hope my 2cents worth of input didn't come across as being bias or disrespectful...

Anyway, you and your loved ones have a blessed holiday and a happy new year !!! 

• Like 1

I just came back from changing my tires actually. I changed them the next day as I was only informed yesterday of the tires being worn. This is my wife's car and has been serviced by C&C for over two years. At no stage did they check the tire wear before this. You go to a service expecting that all safety aspects are checked.

After I wrote this I actually went back to C&C to get the QC report - the one they never handed to me saying the tires were worn. They checked the tire pressure of my tires and all tires were below 20psi, even the mechanic who checked them was surprised it was not checked. So for those who think this is acceptable I don't agree.

I'll upload the QC report shortly for the person asking... I also have video of the service person admitting the QC report was not handed to me and I also have a video of the Mercedes mechanic showing the tire pressure was never checked and below 20 psi. I really do find it amazing people are trying to defend C&C here, you shouldn't expect car owners to check tire wear, that's what the regular checks are for and that's why you pay C&C more than double other garages to perform the service.

As an experienced car owner, a husband and a father I'm rather amazed and appalled at the way you appear to delegate and divest your responsibilities to the garage for ensuring that your vehicle is roadworthy. Have you ever asked yourself how you or your wife let the car reach a state whereby the tyres are not only grossly under inflated but "dangerously worn" as well.

I'm not one trying to defend CnC - If they did what you allege they did then they are certainly wrong to have done so.

However being a car owner it is also your responsibility, your onus to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy and safe not just for you and your family but for all other road users. You, sir have had a major dereliction of duty.

• Like 1

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Thanks WazzupDad. I'm looking at it more from the angle I paid for a service that did not happen - especially today when they confirmed they never checked the tire pressure. Also there's the matter of duty of care and I don't believe in this case they performed their contractual obligation in this instance.

I do understand people's points, that's why at the first reasonable time i.e. within 24 hours I got the tires changed, but I first wanted to a. confirm with Mercedes and b. give them the option to offer to fix the issue. That was all sorted by them not replying and then saying it was a simple oversight. I'm glad I didn't get the brakes done with them, given my experience I have no faith they would install them with care.

As far as the parts are concerned, I would argue that in a legal setting a judge would side with the consumer as I bought the parts from a recognised representative of the manufacturer and I tried to get them installed by another recognised service agent of said manufacturer. If parts are not acceptable then that policy should be clearly mentioned to the consumer, C&C had no such written policy, it was just a management response. I feel as a consumer I did all that was reasonable.

Bro it's your own duty to check the tyre periodically, you can't transfer this basic thing as driver to any workshop. Looking forward to see the QC report and video uploaded. Anyway never in my opinion CnC has spectacular service level but I do aware that you can't bring your own oil or own parts to their workshop. I live in Perth before and I drove A180 the only full auto version in 1998 as long I can remember they also very sticky I got safety note when I changed the original rim to after market claiming it will affect the car stability program. The first generation of A-class did not pass moose test.

• Like 1

As an experienced car owner, a husband and a father I'm rather amazed and appalled at the way you appear to delegate and divest your responsibilities to the garage for ensuring that your vehicle is roadworthy. Have you ever asked yourself how you or your wife let the car reach a state whereby the tyres are not only grossly under inflated but "dangerously worn" as well.

I'm not one trying to defend CnC - If they did what you allege they did then they are certainly wrong to have done so.

However being a car owner it is also your responsibility, your onus to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy and safe not just for you and your family but for all other road users. You, sir have had a major dereliction of duty.

The roadworthyness of the car as you say is my responsibility. I don't deny that, the car is checked via service every 6 months, if someone had warned my wife during the last service that the tires were already warn they would have been replaced. But to find out that the company that I pay to check the safety of the car was not doing it's job then that's unacceptable. This time was the tires something motorists with a bit of experience can check themselves, if it were the brake system how would you propose that this would be checked by the consumer?

Looks like Fattytey works for C&C - I never said I asked for the tires to be changed for free...

I actually own C&C...So I am quite puzzled when the tyre guy told you about the tyre balding and u didn't change there and then.... My call is you are waiting for C&C to answer before doing anything.... and that to me my friend.... is just plain crazy.... Looking at your report to MERCEDES HQ.... my call is you have no case in the making.... think u have spent too much time in Ozzyland and forgot that this is Singapore.... Not flaming you but your actions.... I've got no comments.... if not MODS will ban me if I do post them....

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

The roadworthyness of the car as you say is my responsibility. I don't deny that, the car is checked via service every 6 months, if someone had warned my wife during the last service that the tires were already warn they would have been replaced. But to find out that the company that I pay to check the safety of the car was not doing it's job then that's unacceptable. This time was the tires something motorists with a bit of experience can check themselves, if it were the brake system how would you propose that this would be checked by the consumer?

SO your Ozzy $$$ is bigger.... but then again u still have the basic commom sence to do a visual check to see if u are comfortable with the service done..... till now you are more concerned about the $$$ spent on the service that the safety of your family.... no offence but if I am your wife... I would really wonder what's your priorities....

Hey mate, My point was that you can't wait 6 months for the garage to check tyre pressure and wear. In between the 6 months it is your job to check it and apparently you did not. Let's not digress by suggesting what if it were other systems that you can't check. If it were then I wouldn't be trying to bring this point across to you. Also as WazzupDad was trying to point out to you beware of "contributory negligence" before you go round threatening legal action.

Now that you have your tyres fixed just make sure they don't get into the same shape again - under inflation during the wet season can be very dangerous and will also result in uneven and abnormal tyre wear.

• Like 1

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Not flaming you or wat...or maybe i am...seems like spare parts was your priority as it is No.1 in your letter. And i still can't get the sequence correct...

16th (the day before) - servicing by C&C

17th - change brake pads and was informed

Waiting whole day for call

18th (the next morning) - wifey drove car.

Correct?

You're dethpicable. 

Not flaming you or wat...or maybe i am...seems like spare parts was your priority as it is No.1 in your letter. And i still can't get the sequence correct...

Correct?

Yes david... that's what he did... I would have called my lawyer if I'm the wife....

Thanks WazzupDad. I'm looking at it more from the angle I paid for a service that did not happen - especially today when they confirmed they never checked the tire pressure. Also there's the matter of duty of care and I don't believe in this case they performed their contractual obligation in this instance.

I do understand people's points, that's why at the first reasonable time i.e. within 24 hours I got the tires changed, but I first wanted to a. confirm with Mercedes and b. give them the option to offer to fix the issue. That was all sorted by them not replying and then saying it was a simple oversight. I'm glad I didn't get the brakes done with them, given my experience I have no faith they would install them with care.

As far as the parts are concerned, I would argue that in a legal setting a judge would side with the consumer as I bought the parts from a recognised representative of the manufacturer and I tried to get them installed by another recognised service agent of said manufacturer. If parts are not acceptable then that policy should be clearly mentioned to the consumer, C&C had no such written policy, it was just a management response. I feel as a consumer I did all that was reasonable.

The rights to refuse to perform certain services demanded by you lies with the service provider even though you procured the genuine parts from an authorized reseller. No written policy necessary (or even a mention) coz that's the market practice here by all auto agents. I heard some PIs with service centres too don't accept consumers bringing in their own parts... like I said earlier, commercial reasons aside.

anyway, peace bro...

This is an unfortunate incident, i m not siding See&See all my servicing does indicate tyres and brake pad condition. Recently i went for the first servicing, they indicate in the report despite my brake set and tyres (19") is aftermarket. Recently my friend went for a 60k servicing he was told the rear tyres is wearing out and advise to get it change immediately. I m sure this kinda of oversight thingy does happen.

I m the one asking for the service report coz you might miss out the details as many owners dont bothered to read it :)

Cheers

Correct?

The points were in order of events not priority. The dates:

Car Serviced on the 17th at C&C

18th late afternoon, brakes changed at another garage and then I called C&C to ask what happened, the manager never called me back even after many escalation calls

19th in the morning the tire failed, later in the day I replace the tires.

This is an unfortunate incident, i m not siding See&See all my servicing does indicate tyres and brake pad condition. Recently i went for the first servicing, they indicate in the report despite my brake set and tyres (19") is aftermarket. Recently my friend went for a 60k servicing he was told the rear tyres is wearing out and advise to get it change immediately. I m sure this kinda of oversight thingy does happen.

I m the one asking for the service report coz you might miss out the details as many owners dont bothered to read it :)

Cheers

That's the problem, they only gave me the service report not the QC report, the two are different. The service report shows what kind of general service they are going to do etc, the QC report shows the actual issues raised by the mechanic. I'll upload both as soon as I work out how to upload the video first.

Yes david... that's what he did... I would have called my lawyer if I'm the wife....

=p

Anyway TS, should not have let your wife drive it the following day. But hope you succeed in getting whatever you want to from C&C. Why? Cos i am not C&C, and you can open up the door for us! Update us ya

You're dethpicable. 

I m looking at my first servicing report - there are 2 sets

1) Service/Repair agreement

2) final quality control report - see attached. Can you see they check my brake pad and tyres condition?

E85829F9-DFC8-4AB7-8848-E7E0BC1FECE7-164

For Fattytey, Mercedes service in Aus and HK and NZ are all better than C&C - from my experience having been a mercedes owner for a number of years. If you are happy to continue to receive a lower level of service then hats off to you. I see you are making this a personal issue with me, one for being Australian and another for expecting the service provider to take care when providing an important service. If you don't agree, that's fine, that just means when you are affected by poor service in the future it won't be an issue to you.