• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

P-plate/New merc drivers please stand up!

Guest funng

Guest funng

hey guys, not sure how many of us here are P-plate drivers. so please make yourself known!

i just got rid of mine last week, but i have heard people saying that we (p-platers/youngsters) may not be experienced enough to handle a merc.

any comments on those remarks? is there any truth to that?

personal experience - having dinner with friends at a coffeeshop, i parked and sat down. then the uncles(ah pehs rather), beside my table started talking about how youngsters(i'm 21, going 22) nowadays driving merc and are unable to handle such vehicles. etc, etc. not sure if its a sour grapes thing, but well, wasn't comforting to hear ppl talk like that.

and also to the merc guru's here, any tips for young/new merc drivers?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CBlack

hey funng, welcome to the club. don't be disturbed by those remarks. there are quite a few young members around your ages here. they should be back from their penang trip soon and they will be able to offer you lots of advices ;D

Guest m1122

aiyah just ignore these ah peks.... look at taxi drivers......spend SO MUCH TIME ON THE ROAD so supposed to be very experienced yet a large number of them totally reckless or ZERO road manners

Guest kepiting1sg

hey guys, not sure how many of us here are P-plate drivers. so please make yourself known!

i just got rid of mine last week, but i have heard people saying that we (p-platers/youngsters) may not be experienced enough to handle a merc.

personal experience - having dinner with friends at a coffeeshop, i parked and sat down. then the uncles(ah pehs rather), beside my table started talking about how youngsters(i'm 21, going 22) nowadays driving merc and are unable to handle such vehicles. etc, etc. not sure if its a sour grapes thing, but well, wasn't comforting to hear ppl talk like that.

Ya! Like CBlack said ignore those A Pek except me hor! .....wahahahaha! ;D

As mentioned to you in my other threads, with 30+ years driving experience and not only in SG but in several other countries too.

I was driving when I was 16 without a licence (those good olde days), got my licence at 18 and went into "sport coupe" immediately.

Those were my days "tiong chia" such as Ford Capri, Celica, Alfa Romeos (had 3 of them), BMW 320, 2 cabrios....all these cars before I was even 25.

So drive with confidence and I have to admit to get a driving licence in SG nowdays is of a very high standard.

Headup man! ;D ;D ;D

Guest bringit

I just got rid of the P plate 2 days ago. Just like RisingSuns, I have also been driving a Merc since I passed my driving test.

My first impression when I got into the seat was that this car was much bigger than the lancer I was accustomed to when I was learning driving! Felt that the size was very uncomfortable for a new driver like me. Was complaining to my dad that a smaller vehicle would be easier to drive but he reminded me that if I could handle the Merc, I would have no problems driving a smaller car in future.

To date, I'm still a little uncomfortable when I am in tight situations like traffic jams and I still don't have the guts to go on to the causeway in the drivers seat, considering that everyone there is very competitive for space and I do not want to scratch anyone's car. I guess experience will resolve this issue in future.

Guest angela

funng ]

i got rid of mine 2years back. but to many ppl still considered new (as under 3 years exp)

Absolute bull... all cars are for all ages so long as you drive with caution.. road is for both exp and non exp drivers. most of us just want to drive, cuz its a love, at SGMerc, we welcome all ages.

uncle may be right in saying tt some youngster just speed and crash expensive car, yes i was 1 of them too. but i did pay for the cost of repair like a man. during this modern timing, we can get adapted to driving a new car within hours of first sitting in it, im not talking about knowing its braking dist, and all the professional measurements, but driving normally, isn' wrote:

once anybody envy ur car cuz of ur age, you'll be getting that alot, just take it with a pinch of salt, and enjoy the ride. =)

come down to one of our meetings, there are at least 7 of us near ur age grp... (im 21, next year will be 22).

Yes Yes do meet us at our next GTG, we are mostly at your age, I am now awaiting for my NS enlistment :), i have another 3 more month to take away my P plate and driving a 4 month old C200.... ;). Dont worry we will tell you all the trick to handle NEW, BIG and POWERFUL car at young age. See ya.....

bro, i still have 6 month to remove my p plate. when is your, me also waiting for enlistment le. maybe we same camp.

hope some of the senior here can give some army life advise please.

::)2ufw19u.jpg

Best advice for you is to bend over and take it like a man.

Guest funng

ahaha. funny la you all. haha. but you all getting enlisted soon? i'm ending/ORDing on friday! 18th APR. WOHHOHOHOOH.

yeah la. learnt to accept looks from driving a merc. infact, something to feel good right, not every 21 yr old gets to drive merc! hahaha.

suddenly everyone seems to be 20+ yr olds. hahaha.

Guest Sareve

I'm also 21 and I still have my p-plate haha! Don't care about what other people think when they see a young man driving a merc, the most important thing is to enjoy what your parents have given you and appreciate their generosity. I feel that a merc is probably a very good first car to be driving, they've got all these ridiculously convenient functions that make life much easier for you. Auto wiper, auto lights, auto aircon, hell you don't have to worry about ANYTHING except driving, the car takes care of the rest for you! I'd say less distractions are great for novice drivers.

Enjoy your first car man, drive safely and come to the next meetup!

Guest bringit

Kompressor ]

Yes Yes do meet us at our next GTG, we are mostly at your age, I am now awaiting for my NS enlistment :), i have another 3 more month to take away my P plate and driving a 4 month old C200.... wrote:

bro, i still have 6 month to remove my p plate. when is your, me also waiting for enlistment le. maybe we same camp.

hope some of the senior here can give some army life advise please.

Army life ah, its something that you dread every single day when you are serving it but once you are out and into working life, think back with fond memories. A place where you will learn lots of arrow dodging, wayang and possibly some useful techniques in your life. Of course, its all dependent on your vocation.