• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Looking for fellow W126 owners

owm

Just thought I take a poll to see how many W126s are still around and members of SGMerc :)

1. owm (1988 W126 300SE, Black exterior, Grey velour interior, Gullideckel 7J x 15)

7341297598_97c7140d08.jpg

1988 W126 300SE - Schwartz-Blau with grey velour interior/trim

ZoomButt.gif

Just out of interest - why didn't you swap to leather seats? The cloth can be a bit stinky after a while.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by

madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn

looking for an angry fix... "

The velour seats are a factory option and rare. I actually prefer cloth to leather, not hot or sticky and I find they age better with time. No stinky seats for me after steam cleaning and hosing down with Febreeze :D

7220039536_2bce7bd9c8_z.jpg

Just out of interest - why didn't you swap to leather seats? The cloth can be a bit stinky after a while.

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Which chrome? The bumper bits? They came in this condition so all I do is just wash them once a week. Will apply a metal polish once every 6 months.

As for the mouldings aroumd the doors, they are actually not chrome but anodized aluminium. They cannot be made to shine with a metal polish. You have to strip off the aluminium oxide layer off, polish the bare aluminium then anodize it. Mine actually has quite a fair bit of etched water marks/spots. I am thinking of removing them and carrying out a refurbish job in the future once I resolve other matters with the car :D

BY the way, your chrome and rim look looks gorgeous. How do you shine the chrome?

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

hey owm,

Great to see these beauties still being kept in such good condition.

My dad still keeps his W126 280 in relatively good condition back in Sarawak as well and we usually get parts from Singapore. I do enjoy driving the old baby everytime I go back home, the style of driving it back in a more underdeveloped area (compared to singapore) is probably unmatchable. The most recent issue earlier this year was when the gear couldn't shift up and we had a "car-limited 40kmph" drive around town.

I could probably take some photos of his when I make another trip back to m'sia together with his other w140 320L baby too.

Keep in touch and hopefully I could consult you on problems arising from the car in the future :)

Hiya,

I look forward in seeing the photos! I drive my W126 solely in Peninsular Malaysia so can understand the driving style you describe ;)

I am not an expert (yet) in the W126 but freel free to ask questions! If you are not a member of MYBenz, you should register there as well. I am more active in the W126 forum there as there are more owners and fans there :)

ZoomButt.gif

• 4 months later...

2. ulujungleboy (1989 W126 300SEL, White Exterior, Black Leather Interior, OEM 15" rims)

Welcome ulujungleboy!

It will definitely be ulu in the jungle :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, need advice from fellow w126 owners. I find this phenomenon in my 89 w126. When I engaged the reverse gear (from D), the reverse sensors might not be activated sometimes. However, when I purposely 'over-travel' the gear stick by pushing it toward the P gear before shifting it back to the R gear, the reverse sensors always get activated. What is wrong?

Hi, need advice from fellow w126 owners. I find this phenomenon in my 89 w126. When I engaged the reverse gear (from D), the reverse sensors might not be activated sometimes. However, when I purposely 'over-travel' the gear stick by pushing it toward the P gear before shifting it back to the R gear, the reverse sensors always get activated. What is wrong?

your meaning of reverse sensors, those "bip bip" sounds sensors?

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a wiring issue between the sensors and the transmission. Guess any capable mechanic with electrical know-how can troubleshoot this easily!

ZoomButt.gif

Hi, the problem turns out to be two worn gear stick bushings (under the vehicle) that 'confuses' the detection of the engaged gear. The bushings were very cheap at S$2 each. I spent an additional S$40 labout cost for the replacement. The problem went straight away after changing the bushings. My advice is that do change the gear safety neutral switch at the same time. This is another wear and tear items that could cause you not to be able to start your car in the 'P' mode when it is worn. It is relatively cheap at about S$80 (Mercedes original). Do it together with the bushings. 

Now, I am dealing with another problem of intermittent stallling of the engine while the car is idling, say at the traffic light. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay, idling air controller motor, and cleaned the distributor cap but the problem still remains.  I read from internet that other causes could be due to leaking vacuum hoses, oxygen sensor, crank sensor, dirty throttle, gear switch sensor and the idler speed control unit. These are all 'maybes'. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?   

My idling speed is about 500 rpm (with the aircon running). Is this too low?

I think your car is stalling because the idle is too low. It should be around 750~800rpm. Get it tuned higher and observe.

I don't think the W126 sold here in Asia has an O2 sensor. Mine doesn't at least!

ZoomButt.gif

• 2 weeks later...