• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Topic about Subaru

Guest Protoss

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Protoss

Toyota said it would spend some 31 billion yen ($307 million) - TOKYO, April 10 - Toyota Motor Corp. said on Thursday it would almost double its stake in Subaru maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd as part of an alliance aimed at more efficiently developing and producing cars.

The pact, which also involves Toyota minivehicle unit Daihatsu Motor , is seen as throwing a lifeline to Fuji Heavy as it struggles to keep pace with larger, more efficient rivals and suffers from sluggish sales.

"No one really thought that Fuji Heavy could survive on its own with things just as they are," said JP Morgan auto analyst Takaki Nakanishi. "It needed a partner. It needed to wedge itself into the Toyota group."

Automakers around the world are under intense pressure to become more efficient as rising raw materials prices, on a global shift towards smaller, fuel-efficient cars and as the rise of competition from China and India threatens profitability.

Japanese carmakers are also feeling the pinch from the yen's recent surge against the dollar, which makes their exports to the key U.S. market less competitive and slices profits when repatriated. Weakening demand in the U.S. is another concern.

Toyota hopes the deal, which includes the joint development of a sports car and supply of a compact car to Fuji, will boost its line-up and keep costs in check as it continues a global expansion that has seen it double sales in the past decade.

"Looking out three to five years, this gives us the best battle formation to compete globally," Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe told a group of reporters after a news conference.

Toyota said it would spend some 31 billion yen ($307 million) to buy 61 million existing shares in Fuji Heavy currently held as treasury stock, boosting its stake to 16.5 percent from 8.7 percent.

Fuji Heavy and Toyota plan to jointly develop a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car that will be produced at a new Fuji Heavy factory in Japan but marketed by both companies when it is rolled out by the end of 2011.

Toyota will also supply Fuji Heavy with a compact car on an original equipment manufacturer basis from around 2010 to help it round out its line-up, while Daihatsu will supply Fuji Heavy with minivehicles and a version of its Coo compact car.

Fuji Heavy President Ikuo Mori said the alliance would eventually lead to its withdrawal from minivehicle production, underscoring its growing reliance on the Toyota group.

"We will take a step into the Toyota group while maintaining the independence of our management and brand," Ikuo said.

Toyota bought the 8.7 percent stake in Fuji Heavy in 2005, replacing General Motors as its top shareholder.

Industry watchers are keen to see if Toyota will lift its stake further. Toyota took minority stakes in Daihatsu and truck maker Hino Motors Ltd before turning them into majority-owned subsidiaries years later.

Toyota's Watanabe said he was not thinking of raising its stake in Fuji Heavy or in dispatching executives to its board.

"In a sense, a 16.5 percent stake doesn't really mean anything. It's a halfway measure," JP Morgan's Nakanishi said. "Over the long term, I would expect the stake to be lifted to solidify a sense of unity or common fate with the Toyota group."

Prior to the announcement, shares in Toyota closed down 1.4 percent at 4,830 yen, Fuji Heavy lost 3.2 percent to 399 yen and Daihatsu dropped 3.1 percent to 1,079 yen. The benchmark Nikkei 225 average ended 1.3 percent lower.

Guest Protoss

u sure knock knock knock or bo u, bo u, bo u, bo u

ha ha ha no petrol ha ha ha bo u bo u bo u, ya lor this also one of the noise from the car owner hee.......

Hahahaha. 'bo u' also tio suan. ;D

ha ha ha no petrol ha ha ha bo u bo u bo u, ya lor this also one of the noise from the car owner hee.......

Hahahaha. 'bo u' also tio suan. ;D

people here suan anything that we can suan heee...... "kill wrong can but never let go"

Guest Protoss

C35 ]

Hahahaha. ' wrote:

people here suan anything that we can suan heee...... "kill wrong can but never let go"

Yeap. Agreed fully. ;D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crk

Any current or ex subaru owners?

Currently driving around in my noisy 4 year old jap 'pot' car ;D

Can't wait to get my hands on the c200. My 1st conti ride.

Cheers~

Guest JGoh

Yes, and here's an earlier article abour a rumoured sports coupe collaboration between Toyota and Subaru:

Rear-Drive Impreza by Toyota?

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Toyota and Subaru are joining forces to develop a sensational new sports coupé together, shown above in an Autocar image.

848852419.jpg948895225.jpg

An inside source revealed top-secret sketches, showing that the car’s brief is to be compact, lightweight, rear drive and fast. Although the Subaru and Toyota versions of this coupé will look different from one another around the front and rear, both will be powered by Subaru’s 2.0-litre flat four engine, making this the first time that a Subaru boxer engine has powered a Toyota.

A naturally aspirated version of the petrol boxer engine with 175bhp is being considered for the base model, and there is potential for a hot 2.5-litre turbocharged model later.

This will be a car inspired by the classic rear-drive AE86 Toyota Corolla GT coupé from the 1980s, a car known for tail-happy handling. Yet beneath the skin we can expect a reworked Impreza, shortened, lightened and with a bespoke coupé body.

Subaru’s trademark four-wheel drive system will be ditched to save weight, complexity and cost. However,

if the standard model is a success then later plans could include a spiritual successor to the Toyota Celica GT4, featuring the 2.5-litre turbo boxer engine and four-wheel drive.

Affordability is the priority for this so-called ‘Toyobaru’. Costs will be driven down thanks to technology sharing between the two car makers. Sources suggest that the coupé could cost as little as £10,000

in Japan, but it’s likely to be closer to £20k in the UK, rising to £25k for the turbo model. Subaru will build the car at its Gunma plant in Japan, while Toyota is in charge of development.

The final design of the coupé is due to be signed off in July, with production set for 2010. Toyota, which holds an eight per cent stake in Subaru, is said to be keen to attract Japan’s disaffected youth with a Mazda MX-5 rival. In fact, an open-top derivative of this coupé could be another longer-term option.

After a launch in Japan, it’s believed the new coupé’s main market will be North America, but it should also make it to the UK. There’s a big market here for sports coupés and Toyota could benefit from an enthusiast’s car that revives the lustre of the Celica.

by Peter Nunn

• 3 months later...

Any current or ex subaru owners?

Currently driving around in my noisy 4 year old jap 'pot' car ;D

Can't wait to get my hands on the c200. My 1st conti ride.

Cheers~

I just sold my 3-yrs 7-mths old WRX and changed to a C200 (W203)...

Anyway, both are totally different in term of characteristic & driving pleasure...

I love driving up north with my WRX rather than on S'pore road...

but after I changed to a C200.. I prefer driving on S'pore road then going up north.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest bilsteiner

got this infor from one of the car review in youtube.

subaru wants to expand or capture more audience in the camry/accord market.

unlike the previous BL and BP.. more sporty with it own character.

• 1 year later...
Guest kirk713

I previously driven a 07 2.5L WRX and modded to 400 bhp and 575nm. It was fun but never as comfortable as my current w204. Hopefully they can make stylish cars like KiA...

• 1 month later...
Guest cmsoh

DarkAv wrote:

Totally agree! But I still prefer my fierce and rugged looking frosty :becky:

Forester nice!

My wife is driving one now. 2.5XT :)

But I do wish it could be quieter a little bit ... ha ha