• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Repair Blog

g8crasher

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No; me no project man :P

I just bought a used plastic cover for the engine.

I enquire abt some of the parts in case I need them in the future; prices are pretty reasonable if you ignore that they are second-hand stuff :laugh:

Guys,

I have few questions for future reference :P

After my thermostat change to 71 degree version, the temp stays below 80 degrees almost all the time; but occasionaly when I bump into a heavily congested road (like yesterday: rochor road at 6pm :banghead:) the temp slowly creeps above that 80 degree mark during the stop-go traffic. It doesn't reach the other mark (the one before 120 degrees; I guess it is the 90 degrees mark, am I correct? :-\), anyway, it is still above 80... And enough for me to freak out :o

Having had a blown head gasket problem before; I am a little over cautious abt the temp issue; so:

1. What is the main factor that affects this temp rise in the engine? Is the engine oil quality important? I mean, is there any possibility that frequent temperature fluctuations cause the oil to lose its heat transfer capability? Can this happen 2000km after the oil change? Btw, I am using Mobil 1, 5W50...

3. Are such temp fluctuations OK? Under what circumstances is the head gasket blown? When is it "too much" for the engine?

4. When the temp goes above 80 or even 90, what shall I do to cool it down? Stop the engine? pull over and idle for a while? or pour water onto the engine? :P

Mike, you were talking abt 'setting the fan speed to the highest'... I mentioned this to Ah Yong at MBM, he says, it will cause the fan to break down earlier than usual. What do you think? Can we mod the fan in such a way that when engine cooling is needed, the fan kicks in with the highest speed rather than following a gradual increase from speed 1 to 2?

But I don't want the fan to run all the time... Just when it is necessary...

mine is modded to kick in in high speed when my temp is 85 Deg C and its not running all the time... just like ur stock fan start kick in at certain temp den it stop when it falls below 80 Deg C.

its alright to hit 90 Deg C cos the normal operating temp is 90 Deg C

Guys,

I have few questions for future reference :P

After my thermostat change to 71 degree version, the temp stays below 80 degrees almost all the time; but occasionaly when I bump into a heavily congested road (like yesterday: rochor road at 6pm :banghead:) the temp slowly creeps above that 80 degree mark during the stop-go traffic. It doesn't reach the other mark (the one before 120 degrees; I guess it is the 90 degrees mark, am I correct? :-\), anyway, it is still above 80... And enough for me to freak out :o

Having had a blown head gasket problem before; I am a little over cautious abt the temp issue; so:

1. What is the main factor that affects this temp rise in the engine? Is the engine oil quality important? I mean, is there any possibility that frequent temperature fluctuations cause the oil to lose its heat transfer capability? Can this happen 2000km after the oil change? Btw, I am using Mobil 1, 5W50...

3. Are such temp fluctuations OK? Under what circumstances is the head gasket blown? When is it "too much" for the engine?

4. When the temp goes above 80 or even 90, what shall I do to cool it down? Stop the engine? pull over and idle for a while? or pour water onto the engine? :P

Mike, you were talking abt 'setting the fan speed to the highest'... I mentioned this to Ah Yong at MBM, he says, it will cause the fan to break down earlier than usual. What do you think? Can we mod the fan in such a way that when engine cooling is needed, the fan kicks in with the highest speed rather than following a gradual increase from speed 1 to 2?

But I don't want the fan to run all the time... Just when it is necessary...

Don't worry unless the temp reaches the other mark, and at a super FAST TIME!!

some factors:

1)Engine oil

2)there must be water in the reservior!!

3)outside temp

4)faulty temp switch

5)faulty fan switch

6)aircon gas leak!

this is what i had learnt from driving W123 prev, why gasket can break down, its due to coolant!

coolant is very acidic! it "eats" into the gaskets and causes blockage and also "eats" the radiator

that's why now i use only WATER.

there are some mechs will say can use coolant but only use sparingly must diluted it with water.

now currently temp will max hit ard 95 never touch the 100 mark(touch wood) when i stuck in the jams @ causeway!!

and the temp goes up slowly not fast.

if ever your engine heats up to 120, pls stop by the roadside and let it cool down at LEAST MORE than 1hr!! than can pour in the water.

if not be prepared to spend a huge $$$, worst case, change engine!!! (my dad's friend kena big time, he very impatient, stop for 20mins, pour water, ka boom his radiator, water pump, engine all gone!!!, well he likes W123 so much, he did a complete makeover after that incident!! and a big pocket BURNT!)

Wah, I've never looked at coolant in this way... "head gasket killer" :death:

thanks kelvin and mike... very informative posts :thumbsup:

The engine temp in my car rises very slowly... Actually, it's kinda interesting that the temp rises above 80 only when I come to an halt "after" some driving...

Btw Kelvin, based on your experience, is it possible to save the head gasket after a major overheat by just waiting for a looong time before topping up water?

The engine temp in my car rises very slowly... Actually, it's kinda interesting that the temp rises above 80 only when I come to an halt "after" some driving...

Btw Kelvin, based on your experience, is it possible to save the head gasket after a major overheat by just waiting for a looong time before topping up water?

yup when you come to a halt, temp will rise, as there isn't much cool air blowing into engine (when driving cool air goes in mah)

if its only 1 time(major overheat) sure can save the gasket, but multi time, sorry lor..but normally after this type of major overheat, most will sure bring car go hospital see doctor!! hehehe