• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Repair Blog

g8crasher

Guest mercw124

Maybe get the injectors cleaned out or something?

I'm getting about 490 - 500km on a full tank. (Best Achievable result)

If I were to pump less than a full tank but then compare it against the proportionate ratios, I'm worse off.

What I've observed is that my mileage is 300km from full to half tank, but there after, the remaining half tank's mileage is only approximately 200km.

Is there something wrong with the meter or is it normal?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sirBenz

basket, if you guys get better FC, hai.. I going to :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: so far mine at least 450km, 50% highway 50% city at best will only reach 480km MAX! must go 1 day check the injectors and my cold intake.

after mine done hor, now whenever either my dad/sis drives back, i can hear the note from 4th floor lei... only slightly softer than the EVO X/ Airterk Turbo that's in my carpark!! :death:

just replace the injectors its just $30/pc. what muffler you got slap on your car?

hahaha once you start I dunno how you gonna put a stop to it. :ninja:

I've got a twin exhaust lying around courtesy of the Miata. Come to think of it, I have half a room of Miata parts. Lol.....maybe get a frankenstein Merc Miata. or Mazda 200E.

Kidding.

What box did u get off Man?

I owe him a visit, he was supposed to fix my exhaust...hmmm

"Custom" :censored:..any performance gain?

Mine original already S******t, Man had mine repack.

After that feels better response like can breathe better since no more carbon, gain not sure, but don't think any la. Now note is slightly higher but basey. FC no improvement lei.

Guest mr w124

Wow. Hearing all the FC that you guys are getting really makes me jealous. my half tank normally about 240best is 267. full best is abt 450 - 470 man. maybe i'll change my injectors too

Guest mercw124

Nothing is never achievable man!

Mr W124, you may want to inflate your tyres to about 255psi as this maximizes mileage.

Was previously on 235psi and this extra inflation got me about 5% more mileage:D

Guest mr w124

i used to be at 260 psi but too bumpy. so down to 220 now. but not much diff in fc. must do trial n error now. slowly start changing the muffler, injectors n plug wires.

Guest sirBenz

i used to be at 260 psi but too bumpy. so down to 220 now. but not much diff in fc. must do trial n error now. slowly start changing the muffler, injectors n plug wires.

maybe u wanna try Keropor fuel additive from mercedes..tye soon have it think $7 buck a can.

Guest mercw124

Any improvement using the fuel additive?

The manual advised against using fuel additives so darent use them (for now!)

Mike, 560km mileage is impressive for going along NSHW.

Perhaps you could do a corelation between the amount of petrol you topped up and till the petrol warning light lights up?

Managed to hit 530km on a full tank in Singapore though. ONCE only! :D

Guest sirBenz

Any improvement using the fuel additive?

The manual advised against using fuel additives so darent use them (for now!)

Mike, 560km mileage is impressive for going along NSHW.

Perhaps you could do a corelation between the amount of petrol you topped up and till the petrol warning light lights up?

Managed to hit 530km on a full tank in Singapore though. ONCE only! :D

it won't give you over nite fc improvement..but it will slowly clean up the entire fuel system you will see gain after a while.

http://carview-img02.bmcdn.jp/carlife/images/UserCarPat/1282856/p1.jpg

before i had changed to amg rims, can hit 500km full tank no sweat! Now change liao can't seems to hit it!

Huh mike that's seems high for NSHW! For me i had done 150km/h with full load(4 buffalos) got 500km half tank only! Hmmm maybe cos of our different size rims?

Guest mr w124

before i had changed to amg rims, can hit 500km full tank no sweat! Now change liao can't seems to hit it!

Huh mike that's seems high for NSHW! For me i had done 150km/h with full load(4 buffalos) got 500km half tank only! Hmmm maybe cos of our different size rims?

500km for half tank? that incredible. i only got 350km on halk driving on nshw at abt 150 - 180

Guest mercw124

Anyway, what was the fuel consumption of the W124s when they were brand new? Anyone knows?

Was talking to my mechanic that day and he said 10km is achievable from a full overhaul.. ???

Was talking to my mechanic that day and he said 10km is achievable from a full overhaul..

Phwoar! It surely has to be achieved with plenty of self restraint

it wouldn't go into 4th. after 3rd, it kept going into neutral. so had to put the lever at 3 n drive home slowly (Serangoon central till yishun!!) never had this prob but i remember it was similar to wat g8crasher experienced. Just wondering if the prob could be something simple. cos overhauled gearbox abt 8 months back.

Dude I suspect it's your valve body which controls the hydraulic pressure of your gearbox. You can get a used one for around $400. I think it's close to or over a grand brand new.

FYI

Valve body:

A hydraulic control center that receives pressurised fluid from a main pump operated by the fluid coupling/torque converter. The pressure coming from this pump is regulated used to run a network of spring-loaded valves, check balls and servo pistons.

The valves use the pump pressure and the pressure from a centrifugal governor on the output side (as well as hydraulic signals from the range selector valves and the throttle valve or modulator) to control which ratio is selected on the gearset; as the car and engine change speed, the difference between the pressures changes, causing different sets of valves to open and close.

The hydraulic pressure controlled by these valves drives the various clutch and brake band actuators, thereby controlling the operation of the planetary gearset to select the optimum gear ratio for the current operating conditions. However, in many modern automatic transmissions, the valves are controlled by electro-mechanical servos which are controlled by the Engine Management System or a separate transmission controller.

Guest mr w124

Yikes. I think i accidentally deleted my previous post. Thanks for the info man. anyway, i think my valve body was already replaced. i got a pic on my comp but i have no idea how to upload it. i pressed the insert image icon but dont know what to do from there

I have a minor but uncomfort problem suspect is from the valve body thingy.

When I drive off quick, I will experience a jerk (A back kick feel from below the rear seat area). If I drive off gentle, I don't really feel it. Do you guys experience it on a 16V W124 ?

have a minor but uncomfort problem suspect is from the valve body thingy.

When I drive off quick, I will experience a jerk (A back kick feel from below the rear seat area). If I drive off gentle, I don't really feel it. Do you guys experience it on a 16V W124 ?

It's pretty normal to experience jerking if you drive off quick. My 8v does the exact same thing in S(tandard) mode. The shift pattern in E(conomy) mode is more tame and tends to shift quicker at a lower RPM as compared to S(tandard) mode which delays shifting until a higher RPM is reached. It might be smoother if you switch it to E(conomy) and drive off with your foot pressure somewhere between gentle and quick mode.