• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Timing Gears problem

Oldcar

Dear  !

I have a 2010 C200 CGI (W204/M271) . it has 70,000 km.

I recently had car serviced at a local shop and they informed me that need to replace timing gears kit (image attached).

Could any body here help me to know where sell this kit ?

Any and all information is appreciated!

Gears.jpg

Hi, 

Usually, if the timing chain stretch (becoming longer) .. or the cam gear wear  out (gear tip no longer sharp but rounded off)  .. during cold start, the engine will sound like diesel .. that is the classic early tell-tale sign for M271...  

else usually do not need to do anything t .. 

Did the WS tell u, what prompt them for the conclusion?   

• Like 2

Hmm .. .to be able to see cam gears condition ... they need to open up the Cam cover .. 

During normal car service they really open up cam cover? sound fishy .. ..

BTW, gears worn after 70Kkm is a bit too early .. .usually it can last 120~150Kkm..  

It is a known issues on M271 engine. Timing chain and gear material not that compatible resulting in wearing of the sprockets. There should be engine code come up if indeed it is an issue. You might want to go for 2nd opinion.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

Would like some advise on the costing of a timing chain and cam gear replacement.   My ride is due for a change I guess, there is this metal clattering sound during morning start up, which goes away after 4-6secs.

Anyone changed recently?   Please let me know what's been changed and costing.

Thanks in advanced.