• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

w204 headlights rewiring

hi all...

my 07 w204 c200 headlights seems to burn out or somewhere in there, the wiring goes loose quite frequently. resulting in the various lights going faulty. It's a mix of lights, sometimes dimmed lights, at times its the parking/signal light.

the workshop says could be the wiring is old and needs to be rewired. 

got quoted a price of $280. Just wondering is that a carrot price or about reasonable. Seems like quite exorbitant.  Anyone had similar issues before and got it fixed?

hi all...

my 07 w204 c200 headlights seems to burn out or somewhere in there, the wiring goes loose quite frequently. resulting in the various lights going faulty. It's a mix of lights, sometimes dimmed lights, at times its the parking/signal light.

the workshop says could be the wiring is old and needs to be rewired. 

got quoted a price of $280. Just wondering is that a carrot price or about reasonable. Seems like quite exorbitant.  Anyone had similar issues before and got it fixed?

You might want to check with Sonic Racing for a second opinion:

http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/12722-sonicracing-products-development-testimonial-technical-information/?p=124200

http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/4100-purevision-xenon-or-led-conversion-kit/?p=184285

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Rewire the headlight wiring involve removing the front lens... cut each of the defect wire, re-solder back with good wire (either partial or complete wire)..it's a time consuming job...

For some reason, conti car headlight always have this problem.. the wire rubber insulation tend to disintegrate after few years.(too much heat?). For W204, the problem area seems more serious on those T10 5W bulb ...IMO, those small 5W bulb do not have enough surface area to disperse the heat..  

my PFL W204 also have similar problem.. although light still working perfectly, but when I open the light back cover, found many wire insulator has disintegrated .. now I am consider either DIY fix it myself or get a new headlight ..

Hi,

Rewire the headlight wiring involve removing the front lens... cut each of the defect wire, re-solder back with good wire (either partial or complete wire)..it's a time consuming job...

For some reason, conti car headlight always have this problem.. the wire rubber insulation tend to disintegrate after few years.(too much heat?). For W204, the problem area seems more serious on those T10 5W bulb ...IMO, those small 5W bulb do not have enough surface area to disperse the heat..  

my PFL W204 also have similar problem.. although light still working perfectly, but when I open the light back cover, found many wire insulator has disintegrated .. now I am consider either DIY fix it myself or get a new headlight ..

If your car has a few more years to go, i advise you to invest in a set of new headlight. The projecter lens also does deteriorate and lesser light will pass thru it with time. Mine had almost no light passing thru it and imagine the amount of heat trapped inside the head light .. i changed mine 3 years ago and the new one still looking good .. :)

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks.. I also notice that, worst is some of the plastic part also melted, especially those near T10 5W bulb holder area .. 

Why can't those German engineer anticipated  this  problem... ? Maybe they are good in rocket science, but forgotten about basic science .. heat & plastic do not always come good together.. 

BTW, how much you paid for a new headlight (PFL)? buy from local stockist or import ?

Hi,

Thanks.. I also notice that, worst is some of the plastic part also melted, especially those near T10 5W bulb holder area .. 

Why can't those German engineer anticipated  this  problem... ? Maybe they are good in rocket science, but forgotten about basic science .. heat & plastic do not always come good together.. 

BTW, how much you paid for a new headlight (PFL)? buy from local stockist or import ?

Maybe it is just wear and tear over the years. Mine was about 6 years when i got it changed.

OEM is good enough. I think mine is a hella. paid about $900 plus .. old liao, can't rem. :)

just to update..i went to drglass in the end..nice chap and reasonable prices. Most imptly, he checked first before telling me that there's no need to rewire. just bulb replacement. came w 1 year warranty as well.  

Unlike the other shop who quoted me 280 over the phone saying 'oh this model ah, confirm need rewire, i just did 2 cars this week with the same problem...

• 2 weeks later...

just to update..i went to drglass in the end..nice chap and reasonable prices. Most imptly, he checked first before telling me that there's no need to rewire. just bulb replacement. came w 1 year warranty as well.  

Unlike the other shop who quoted me 280 over the phone saying 'oh this model ah, confirm need rewire, i just did 2 cars this week with the same problem...

You have the same problems of the t10 bulbs keep on blown also?

How is it now?

Mine always blown. Change the bulb today, tomorrow blown already.

Can share what is the shop name that quote you 280? I also think my wiring got problem. Pole light wire no power.

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2016 at 8:24 PM, mulderang said:

Think I had shared this before a long time ago, I got it fixed at C&C for free outside the warranty period. I did it on 2 occasion for front and back. But beware the down time is a day.

Really? Then i have to call and ask !

• 2 years later...