• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

improving the stock car hi fi systems

hi guys any advice as to what i might need to improve over the stock car hi fi system ? i m on audio 2.0 and MB quart speakers (as per the sticker says on the mesh cover of the tweeter). I m not looking for addition of visible tweeter pod. All should look stock except better quality speakers (i love the sound of Focal). Driven active so maybe 2 small amps. Maybe a bulit in amp 10" sub would be ok. No looking into removing the spare wheel. For front only, not installing rear speakers.Going for SQ rather than SPL.

Thx for any comment for advice.

regards lz

Not sure how much improvement your are actually looking at. From what I read, you have probably decided what to go for?

2 way active setup with focal speakers, add amps, a 10" sub ( go for 12" of possible), processor is a must and a controller. To go on further, choice of RCA and speaker cables can make huge difference to SQ.

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

imho

• Didn't know MB has MB quart as stock speakers.
  • active sub are "boomy" and do not go low!
  • Merceman advice for a 12" over a 10" sub is good if you want to hit the lower Hz.
  • A processor with TA will go a long way to have a more focus sound stage, width, height and depth. 
  • Good SQ doesn't need rear speakers though it helps to bring the front stage higher.
  • Having said that make sure your mid woofer for 2 way active mid bass can keep up with your 12" sub....hehehee! :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

I have a 12" woofer but confirm installer will take the spare wheel away..

I have a set of wiring from my old car .. So speaker cable n RCa no issue.

Look for a 12" sub that need less than 1 cu.ft of sealed box so that you don't need to lose your tyre well.

KISS!

Cheers

I have a 12" woofer but confirm installer will take the spare wheel away..

I have a set of wiring from my old car .. So speaker cable n RCa no issue.

how about a slim sub rear dash mounted? No need to remove spare tyre. Save space too. Mine is mounted that way.

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

My humble ICE. 12" sub mounted as it is. Hope can give you some options to think about.

post-443-0-93460600-1419523783_thumb.jpg

wow merceman,  nice ... your 12" sub free air ? mounted on the boot horizontal metal frame ?

You are right boss, boomz direct into cabin space!

Just to share how my 12" are mounted :)

2014-05W204003.jpg

wow.. nice too ...

I see a genesis .. my all time favourite amp, solid SQ and damn powerful, i had 1 dual mono, and 3 single mono for my previous 2 way active setup AVI Tweet, 7" mid sea(wau lau the mid bass solid solid) and 12" sub.. Freaking good SQ and SPL. But this time round not going to throw in so much money liao before another threat for separation due to irrational spending.lol

What you guys think of a 4 way Steg and and a mono for the sub ?

regards

lz

I had replaced my dual mono. Was on full Genesis and SEAS 3-way setup on my previous ride, warm and deep sound. Loved it. But now i'm on a different setup. 

7" mid Seas, wow you sure know your toys.

I was telling myself only basic improvement and stay close to stock on my W204. I ended up with active 3-way set up......  :startle:

Genesis is really good ...  wasted .. would really love to audit the 3 way seas .. mine was the old one .. paper cone type .. i drove it will a genesis mini-mono. The mid bass so strong that i can off the woffer. Door vibrate .. haha .. Did it at CS in Serangoon and Ah Kwang blur the way the mini mono drove the seas ..he shake head in dis believe and say i am siao to use 2 genesis mono block to drive the 2 numbers of 7". But that was the crazy old days.

bro how is your installer .. good bo ? Maybe can PM me the contact. 

Thx

regards

lz

i still missed my 3 way SEAS. Like you, i mixed and match my speakers. I was using a SEAS excel midrange (4" 6 ohm) with the Reference series.The midrange is absolultey lovely with the genny. I always describe the genny as a old grumpy granny, the pitch is crisp, hard to missed and always hit the right note.  :lol:

The 6.5" mid SEAS that i have is already a puncher, i won't be surprise how your 7" mid (should home audio range?) can shake your door with the clean power that genny can deliver.

I've pm-ed the contact to you, hope it helps :)

Genesis is really good ...  wasted .. would really love to audit the 3 way seas .. mine was the old one .. paper cone type .. i drove it will a genesis mini-mono. The mid bass so strong that i can off the woffer. Door vibrate .. haha .. Did it at CS in Serangoon and Ah Kwang blur the way the mini mono drove the seas ..he shake head in dis believe and say i am siao to use 2 genesis mono block to drive the 2 numbers of 7". But that was the crazy old days.

IMHO - Using 2 genesis mini block is nothing siao!

Old Unker used it >6 years ago each to drive a 7" Micro Precision Mid woofer.

The mid woofers have to keep up with the low Hz of the free air IDMax Ver 3.0 DVC 2 ohm sub driven by the Genesis Monoblock 1 x 1000WRMS on 1 ohm load

Genesis special made a CA250 Class A/AB amp for me to drive my 2 pairs of ribbon tweeters in 2 x 100WRMS in 2 ohm load

I am sure you go google Genesis CA250 amp you will not find it ..... :)

If you add up all the 4 amps they were very tame rated at only 600WRMS on 4 ohm load but they were running at 1 ohm, 4 ohm & 2 ohm load for the sub, mid woofer & tweeters respectively.

My previous retirement ICE sales link:-

http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/2398-wts-unker-batam-cheem-ice-retirement-sale/

2966160860_4af59b4a54_o.jpg

Cheers

wow unker your sound system one of a kind .. awesome !!!!!! .. lol ... macam sound system for a space shuttle ... my hats off to you .. so many high end stuff .. Cannot really image the sound it plays man .. wish i could have audit it ...

There're always better ones!

Putting up a good ICE system is always like seeking nirvana that never ends.

The guy who takes your $$$ & trophies is your installer.......:)

Cheers

Some old ICE instals down memory lanes..... :)

There were 3 boot & system hardware trnasformations on my old W124.

Each project took 4 to 6 months to complete.

This was the 3rd and last one.

All the systemswere the same - front SQ & rear SPL except the W203 was just for SQ.

455006300_8548bb72bc.jpg?v=0

My previous Batam "Beast"- Front SQ & Rear SPL with 2nd Generation Pioneer ODR system

This one will be really like space ship taking off :)

455041325_3681154507.jpg?v=0

• Like 1

Cheers