• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Manchester United FC Daily News Thread

keltanky

Guest jameslhm

Premier League - Ferguson attacks Blatter

Sir Alex Ferguson has launched a vicious attack on Sepp Blatter, likening the FIFA president to an unhinged African leader and questioning his credentials to serve as chief of the game's ruling body.

In an interview with GQ Magazine, the Manchester United manager spoke candidly about Blatter's comments on Cristiano Ronaldo's failed move to Real Madrid, in which he compared the 23-year-old's plight to that of a slave.

"I think Sepp Blatter is in danger, or has reached a point where he is being mocked within the game," Ferguson said.

"Whether he's getting too old, I don't know. But these things happen to people in power. Look at some of the despots in Africa. From a position of great power, he has uttered so many ridiculous statements that he is in danger of seriously damaging his credibility.

"When he came out with that stuff it created a furore and rightly so, the year after the commemoration of the 200th anniversary of slavery."

Ferguson said the Ronaldo saga is thankfully now over, but he remains aggrieved at the manner in which Madrid approached the situation and the underhand tactics they employed in an attempt to sign the FIFPro World Player of the Year.

"When we sold Gabriel Heinze to Real Madrid we knew it was going to happen, because Ronaldo is very close to Heinze," he said.

"I knew what they were doing. I don't believe they were interested in Heinze - good player though he is. The endgame was to get Ronaldo.

"What made it really obscene was that Madrid, as General Franco's club, had a history of being able to get whatever they wanted, before democracy came to Spain."

Ronaldo is one of a host of the world's best players Ferguson has lured to United during his 22-year reign, but he will leave Old Trafford regretting the one who got away.

The most successful manager in British football history has won 10 Premier League titles and two Champions League triumphs since his arrival from Aberdeen in 1986, achieved with help of inspired signings such as Ronaldo, Eric Cantona and Wayne Rooney.

But even Ferguson can't always get what he wants. Along the way there have been players he has missed out on, and none hurt more than an enigmatic Italian whose move from West Ham fell through in 2002.

"Paulo Di Canio would have been capable of becoming a truly great player at Manchester United," Ferguson said.

"I mean, he was a great player, but when you have a player like Di Canio, who expresses himself as an individual, like (George) Best and Cantona did, and (Ryan) Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo and (Dimitar) Berbatov do.

"We make heroes quickly here. Di Canio could have been in that category."

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jameslhm

Fergie relief over Fletcher deal

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed getting Darren Fletcher to sign a new contract was his biggest relief of the season.While the battle to sign Dimitar Berbatov went down to the last minutes on deadline day and Ferguson was forced to make an urgent trip to Portugal this summer for talks that gained agreement from Cristiano Ronaldo to stay, it seems the Scot regarded keeping Fletcher just as important.

Few would regard the 24-year-old midfielder as a pivotal presence in the Red Devils squad.

But, after being limited to just 24 appearances last term, Fletcher had a decision to make.

With several clubs demanding his services, the Dalkeith-born star could easily have decided to abandon an unequal struggle for a first-team berth.

Instead, he opted to remain at Old Trafford, where he was rewarded with an improved four-year contract.

And, as injuries have robbed Ferguson of Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick for significant periods, Fletcher had been given the responsibility of a regular start.

He made his 11th appearance at Everton on Saturday, where he also scored his third goal.

"The relief of the season was to get Darren a new contract because there were a lot of clubs trying to buy him," said Ferguson.

"He had one year left but he wanted more football.

"Leaving could easily have been a consideration simply because with Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes and Anderson there is so much competition."

Much like he did with Ronaldo, Ferguson decided to take direct action.

A face-to-face chat with his fellow countryman yielded the answers Fletcher had been seeking.

After joining United as a trainee - he would have made his senior debut as a schoolboy in 2000 had the FA not intervened - he had seen players like David Beckham, Nicky Butt and Phil Neville quit for pastures new.

But he took Ferguson's word that he remained part of the manager's plans. And his performances this season have been so good, Hargreaves and company have not been missed.

"I just felt Darren is a United player," recalled Ferguson.

"He is outstanding in big games, when he always does such a great job.

"I told him he had been brought up at this club and after January, he had been playing in all the big games until he got an injury and not to forget he came back and played some more.

"It convinced him to stay, which was what we wanted because now he is such an important player for us.

"He has developed his game and taken it to a new level."

Ferguson must decide whether to stick with Fletcher or bring Michael Carrick in to play against his former club.

Carrick has been restricted to just two appearances, both of which were brought to a premature end, due to an ankle problem.

However, as he has now returned to training, Ferguson has the option of easing the England man back into the fray against West Ham on Wednesday or Hull on Saturday.

After Saturday's disappointing draw at Everton, both games must be won to put some pressure on Liverpool, who have now recorded crucial victories over United and Chelsea to hit the Premier League summit.

Mindful of the volume of chances that went begging at Goodison Park, Ferguson must also be tempted to bring in Carlos Tevez, although deciding who to leave out from a group comprising Dimitar Berbatov, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo is no easy task.

Guest jameslhm

Brown relishing Blues battle

Hull begin the most distinguished four days in their history on Wednesday with manager Phil Brown far from intimidated by the challenge ahead.The high-flying Tigers host Chelsea at the KC Stadium on Wednesday before travelling to Old Trafford to face Manchester United on Saturday.

Many would expect this to be the week when Hull's bubble bursts after an outstanding start to the season which has seen the promoted side rise to third in the Premier League.

But after four successive victories, three of them with clean sheets, Brown insists his side will not fear Chelsea.

Brown said: "It is a massive game for us because, one, it is the next one and, two, we have won four on the bounce.

"Confidence levels are sky high but what that manifests itself in is us looking forward to the game rather than being frightened.

"At the start of the season people would have been fearing this fixture but now all of a sudden we're not, we're looking forward to it."

Last weekend's 3-0 victory at West Brom has taken the Tigers' points tally to 20 after nine games, just three behind leaders Liverpool and level with Chelsea.

Brown said after the game that he would be happy with 20 points from 10 games, a comment which was picked upon as meaning he had already written off the Chelsea game.

However, Brown claims he was merely trying to compartmentalise the season in saying he would have been happy with 20 points from the first 10 games and 20 from the second.

He said: "I haven't written this game off, far from it. I'm really looking forward to it.

"We needed a good start, and we have had a great start. You can say that takes pressure off these games but I'm not going to say that.

"I think it puts pressure on because now people are expecting us to get something from a game against Chelsea.

"It is going to be a big test for me in terms of tactics and it is going to be a big test for us in terms of the physical and mental and ability side.

"We'll be trying to make it as difficult as we can for their great players to play.

"It's going to be a tough game but we'll be ready for it, more so because of the fact we have got four results on the bounce."

Hull have already beaten one of the Premier League's 'big four' this season having won 2-1 at Arsenal last month.

Now Brown is hoping for another prized scalp.

He added: "I think there is a mentality that the top four are impregnable.

"But having gone to the Emirates and won, it's given us hope that if we bring our best game to the table we might get something from the game.

"If you had a financial league table and put them up against us you would have to say we are overachieving at the moment, but I don't see it as that.

"It feels as though it is part of the season's work to do what we have been doing.

"They fully expect to play great football all the time and hopefully we will have a say in the matter."

Chelsea last visited the KC Stadium in the Carling Cup 13 months ago and thrashed the then Championship side 4-0.

That was long before Hull put together the run which eventually culminated in their promotion and Brown warns his side are now a different proposition.

He said: "We gave a good account of ourselves for 35 minutes in the Carling Cup last year but then the quality in front of goal was the difference between the two teams.

"However, since those days we have come a long way. We have strengthened in a number of departments and in terms of the attitude and mentality of the players."

Guest jameslhm

Carlos Tevez is convinced United have the quality to repeat last season's Double triumph.

The reigning champions of England and Europe have recovered after a slow start to the season, and Argentine striker Tevez can only see things getting better.

"I am convinced the entire squad is capable of maintaining the challenge throughout the season and staying at the top of the Premier League," he told MUTV.

"After Christmas we have to play teams like Chelsea and Liverpool at home. We are going to be up there all the way throughout the season because we have the quality throughout the squad to be doing that."

The Reds have taken seven points from three Champions League games so far this term, and Tevez sees no reason why Sir Alex Ferguson's squad cannot become the first since AC Milan - back in 1990 - to retain the trophy.

"I think we have the squad capable of retaining the trophy," said the Argentine. "Whether we host teams here in Manchester or away we are capable of giving anyone a game and of beating anyone in the competition.

"The usual suspects - Real Madrid, Inter, Barcelona, Chelsea and Liverpool - are always there, and retaining the trophy is a challenge we are looking forward to."

Guest jameslhm

Nemanja Vidic feared United were on the brink of surrending the Premier League title before the end of September.

Injuries, mixed form and a tough fixture list, which included trips to Portsmouth, Liverpool and Chelsea all conspired to leave the Reds with five points from the first four games of the season.

“We didn’t start well in the first few games and when you don’t have a good start you worry about what might happen," Vidic told the Mirror. "You begin to think, ‘If we lose one more game we could be out of the Premier League’.

“It’s something at the back of your mind and you feel the pressure. When you have that you get worried about what you might do in a game."

Since drawing at Stamford Bridge in September, however, United have won six of the last seven games and conceded just two goals. In such a rich vein of form, Vidic admits confidence is oozing out of the Reds' performances.

“But when you start to win, that brings the confidence back and when you are winning and scoring goals, like we are now, the confidence starts to flow.

“We’ve started to look like a team again, compact and with the right shape.

“I feel we’ve definitely got more now than last season. I believe we can be better but we can only show that on the pitch. Then you will see how much we improve. And at the end of the season, we can say we did.”

Guest jameslhm

Cristiano Ronaldo has described Sir Alex Ferguson as his “inspiration” after winning the FIFPro World Player of the Year award, and says the United boss is the “main factor” why he's still at the club.

Ronaldo, speaking after being voted the best player in the world by his peers, paid tribute to the influence Sir Alex has had on his career, from spotting him playing for Sporting Lisbon to signing him and giving him the freedom to develop his talent to the fullest.

“Sir Alex has been the big inspiration to me,” he said. “I am here because of him. When he saw me playing for Sporting Lisbon against Manchester United, he believed in me enough to buy me. I've been here for five years. I've learned many things from him and I'm continuing to learn. He is a great manager. He has won everything in the game.”

A summer of intense speculation saw Ronaldo linked heavily with a move to Spanish side Real Madrid. But a meeting with Sir Alex resulted, at least on United’s part, in a line being drawn under the matter.

“Of course, [sir Alex] was the main factor for keeping me here,” he added. “But what happened in the summer is finished. My head is focused on the club. My focus is solely on playing wellfor Manchester United and winning the Premier League and Champions League again. The summer is finished. My head is always here in the club.”

Some in the media have still sought to analyse every gesture or facial expression in a negative way. “If I smile it is because I smile. If I don't it’s because I don't,” he explains. “People are always writing things about me. It is up to them; for me it is not a problem. I will just try to play well and do my best. I am just focused on playing good football.”

Ronaldo’s attention is also on winning trophies with United as well as the many personal awards he is rapidly accumulating. Equalling last year’s tally of 42 goals will be a tall order this term, but the Portuguese winger isn’t targeting figures.

“I am an ambitious player,” he added. “I try to improve every season. I know last year was magnificent. I played really well, I scored so many goals and we won major trophies. It is possible this season. But my priority is not only to score goals. I don't have to do that. I just have to play well for the team. I want to do the same as last season. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I just want to keep proving to myself that I am a good player.”

Guest jameslhm

Rio Ferdinand has been one of United's most consistent performers over the last recent seasons - but Sir Alex Ferguson feels he will only get better as he enters the peak years of his career.

The 29-year-old was yesterday voted into the FIFPro World XI, recognition from his peers of the quality of his play.

"Rio's best years are in front of him," said Sir Alex. "He is easily going to play for the next five years. He looks after himself and he is very fit so I would expect him to be here for that length of time."

Ferdinand's emergence as one of the finest, most complete, defenders in the game is largely down to gathering experience, according to the Reds boss.

"Rio has leadership qualities and we are really starting to see maturity in his game," he added. "We always knew that he was good at taking the ball out of defence because he has such wonderful balance and great pace.

"Now we are seeing more edge to his game and more of a contribution in terms of being voluble towards his team-mates. He is much better at that."

Ferdinand early ability to adapt to most positions on the field - there was talk during his early days at West Ham of him playingas a deep-lying midfielder - has seemingly made his all-round game stronger.

"We tried playing him in midfield against Blackburn but he got sent off," joked the boss.

"He has always had a natural composure on the ball. His pace always gets him out of spots of trouble and he has lovely balance.

"They are three great assets to have in a defender because normally you talk about forwards and wingers being like that. All in all, you would have to say the lad has a lot going for him."

Guest jameslhm

Sir Alex Ferguson says his players were “too relaxed” in the second half against West Ham, despite being impressed by his team’s exquisite football in the first 45 minutes.

West Ham barely got a kick in the first half as Cristiano Ronaldo struck twice to give United a commanding lead, but Sir Alex believes it was a chance missed to build on that scoreline and bolster the Reds’ goals tally.

“The first half was magnificent,” said the Reds boss told MUTV. “When you get a performance like that in the first half you’re looking forward to a second-half of the same.

"You hope you can maybe add to the goals tally because you never know, goal difference could be important come the end of the season.

“We didn’t capitalise on our first half performance. They just took their foot off the pedal, playing a couple of gears below what they are capable of. It was too relaxed for me.”

Berbatov summed up the classiness of some of United’s attacks when he setup Ronaldo’s second goal. His wonderful piece of skill to beat James Collins on the byline had his boss in raptures.

“Berbatov’s play for the second goal was absolutely magnificent,” he said. “You’d pay double the money to watch that.

"It was fantastic imagination, control and balance. Ronaldo just had to tap it in. How [berbatov] managed it, I don’t know. I want to see a replay of it again. It was absolutely stunning.

“Ronaldo took both goals well. He’s getting there. He’s missed the benefit of the pre-season work. He’s been getting his pre-season work in by playing games.

"He’s doing well, and has five goals this season. Hopefully he’ll get to 42 goals again. He’s capable of that because he is such a threat in the penalty box.”

Guest jameslhm

Premier League - Ronaldo double downs West Ham

Manchester United made short work of West Ham as they saw off the London side 2-0 at Old Trafford.

Two first-half goals from Cristiano Ronaldo were more than enough to sink Gianfranco Zola's out-of-form Hammers, who now drop into the bottom half of the Premier League table.

It took just 14 minutes for Ronaldo to score his third league goal of the season, as the Portuguese forward was on hand to strike low past Robert Green after Nani's pass from the left rolled behind Darren Fletcher in the area.

The 23-year-old - who received his trophy for being named FIFPro player of the year before kick-off - doubled his tally on the half-hour mark, but it was team-mate Dimitar Berbatov who created the goal from a seemingly lost cause.

The Bulgarian chased down a ball destined to go out for a goal-kick, and with a dazzling turn kept the ball in play and took defender James Collins out of the game before rolling the ball across for Ronaldo to steer in from six yards out.

The defeat is West Ham's fourth consecutive loss in the league, and they have shipped eight goals and scored just one in that dismal run.

Things got even worse for manager Gianfranco Zola after Swiss midfielder Valon Behrami had to be stretchered off during the first half after pulling up with a hamstring injury.

By contrast, the victory was the home side's sixth in the 10-game unbeaten streak they have embarked on since losing to Liverpool in mid-September, and manager Alex Ferguson's decision to drop Wayne Rooney to the bench - as well as resting defender Wes Brown and midfielder Ryan Giggs entirely - proved to be well-judged.

Berbatov started alongside Carlos Tevez - the man who has adversely felt the impact of the Bulgarian the most since his summer arrival from Tottenham - for the first time, and the duo combined well with Poruguese duo Nani and Ronaldo to give the Hammers defence a torrid evening.

Winger Nani saw two shots sail past the far post in the first half, before Brazilian midfielder Anderson pounced on a sloppy Lee Bowyer pass on the edge of the area, only to fire a tame shot straight at Green.

As half-time approached, Behrami slipped with no-one near him and fell to the ground clutching his leg. The Swiss was taken of on a stretcher and replaced by Luis Boa Morte.

The visitors fared no better in front of goal after the break, with the isolated Craig Bellamy reduced to desperate shots from distance, including one free-kick which he shot over the bar when several of his team-mates had pushed forward for the set-piece.

At the other end, United continued to dominate, and the introduction of Rooney 15 minutes from time would have increased the deficit in the scoreline were it not for Green, who was called into action to save from the England international and Tevez on several occasions.

Guest jameslhm

Tomasz Kuszczak's first senior appearance since mid-September was hardly worth the wait as West Ham forced just one save from the Pole in United's goal.

That said, Edwin van der Sar's deputy was just delighted to be on the pitch - it gave him a good view, at least, of the Reds' stunning first-half performance and also presented him with a welcome clean sheet.

"It's always nice when I can play, I hadn't played for six weeks," Tomasz told MUTV.

"The first game after a break like that is always difficult, more mentally than physically, because it's not easy to concentrate for 90 minutes when you have almost nothing to do. But this is the goalkeeper's job and we have to do it properly."

Kuszczak's only previous action in the first team this season was at Chelsea, and only then as a substitute for Edwin van der Sar - the man who celebrated his birthday as United entertained the Hammers.

Sir Alex Ferguson later explained van der Sar's absence on MUTV.

"Edwin turned 38 today," said the boss. "We don’t need him to play every game because we have two very capable goalkeepers in Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster.

"Ben being back fit is a big bonus to us because he is an outstanding goalkeeper. I may play him at Celtic Park next week. They will all get their minutes on the clock."

Kuszczak hopes to get his next 90 minutes as early as Saturday, when the opposition at Old Trafford willbe Hull City. The Tigers were easily beaten 3-0 by United's title rivals Chelsea but Tomasz insists it's too early to worry about such matters.

"There are still many games to play," he said, when asked about Chelsea's and Liverpool's latest victories.

"For now, we need to look at our own performances, play well and win games and then see what happens in a couple of months.

"We looked sharp in the first half tonight. It was nice to watch - the players' combination play and understanding was very good and we scored two goals.

"The second half was steadier and we should have played quicker and scored more goals. But we won the game and that's the most important thing."

Guest jameslhm

Ratings: United v West Ham

Tomasz Kuszczak: Hardly troubled all evening. Just the one save from Luis Boa Morte on 75 minutes. You felt sorry for him, standing still in the cold all evening…

Rafael: A bundle of energy, the youngster threw himself into every tackle and looked to get in early crosses when he charged down the right flank.

Rio Ferdinand: Sometimes you wonder if it’s all too easy for Rio. Perfect positioning meant he never had to get out of first gear all evening.

Nemanja Vidic: Solid alongside Rio and, like his central defensive partner, in complete control of proceedings. Faultless when called upon and cut out a number of West Ham crosses.

Patrice Evra: For a little man, Patrice is astonishingly good in the air. With little to do defensively, he was free to tear up and down the left wing.

Cristiano Ronaldo: While far from his most impressive performance, the Portuguese winger looks to have rediscovered his goalscoring touch. You can’t ask for much more than two goals, can you?

Anderson: Confident and composed in the centre of the park, he rarely gave the ball away. Won headers and tackles and even tried his luck from distance. Still yet to score for the Reds.

Darren Fletcher: United’s primary ball-winner when play broke down, Fletch used his possession wisely, often spraying the ball across the field to change the angle of attack. A super performance.

Nani: One of the Reds’ best in the first half, Nani gave his marker a torrid time, constantly twisting and turning to make space and cross. Almost scored with a scorching shot across Robert Green.

Carlos Tevez: Quiet by the Argentinian’s usual standards, although he did go close with a header in first-half injury time. Came under close attention from West Ham’s centre backs.

Dimitar Berbatov: His mazy run caused havoc in the Hammers’ defence just prior to the first goal, but if you thought that was good check out his sublime skill to lay on Ronny’s second. Pure genius.

Substitutes

Wayne Rooney (on for Nani 68): A lively cameo. It seems whenever Wayne’s left on the bench he feels he has something to prove. He took control of the game when he came on, and almost fired in a rocket from long range.

Michael Carrick (on for Fletcher 68): His first match back from injury, Carrick was confident on the ball and unafraid to stick his boot into challenges. A valuable 22 minutes.

Gary Neville (on for Rafael 82): Not on the pitch long enough to make an impact.

Guest jameslhm

Premier League - Ronaldo up for FIFA gong

Manchester United and Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo was one of 10 Premier League stars to be nominated for the FIFA World Player of the Year award.

Ronaldo crowned best in the world

Ronaldo played a major role in Manchester United's Premier League and Champions League double and recently won the FIFPro award, voted for by fellow professionals in 40 countries world-wide.

Despite their domestic and European double, Ronaldo is the only Manchester United player to make the list.

Chelsea, meanwhile, were runners up in both tournaments but have five representatives in John Terry, Frank Lampard (both England), Deco (Portugal), Michael Ballack (Germany) and Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast).

They were joined by Liverpool pair Steven Gerrard (England) and Fernando Torres (Spain), and Arsenal duo Cesc Fabgregas (Spain) and Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo) as the English-based players in the 23-man list.

Six of Spain's Euro 2008-winning squad were nominated (Torres, Fabregas, Real Madrid's Iker Casillas, Valencia's David Villa and Barcelona duo Andres Iniesta and Xavi), while last year's winner Kaka (Brazil and Milan) also made the cut.

Franck Ribery (France and Bayern Munich) and Andrei Arshavin (Russia and Zenit St Petersburg) were the only two players outside of the three top-ranked leagues in Europe to be listed, with all the other players drawn from the English, Spanish and Italian top flights.

The FIFA list, drawn up by their football committee, will be voted on by national team coaches and captains, with the top three announced in December.

The winner will be announced at FIFA's World Player Gala in Zurich on January 12.

FIFA World Player of the Year award nominations:

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal and Togo), Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid and Argentina), Andrei Arshavin (Zenit St Petersburg and Russia), Michael Ballack (Chelsea and Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy), Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain), Deco (Chelsea and Portugal), Didier Drogba (Chelsea and Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona and Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal and Spain), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan and Sweden), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona and Spain), Kaka (Milan and Brazil), Frank Lampard (Chelsea and England), Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich and France), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United and Portugal), John Terry (Chelsea and England), Fernando Torres (Liverpool and Spain), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid and Netherlands), David Villa (Valencia and Spain) and Xavi (Barcelona and Spain)

Guest jameslhm

La Liga - Heinze hits back at Ferguson

Former Manchester United defender and current Real Madrid ace Gabriel Heinze has hit back at Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Ferguson was quoted this week claiming Real Madrid only signed Heinze as a means of luring Cristiano Ronaldo to the Bernabeu.

The Argentinian, who moved to Spain last year after United refused to let him join Liverpool, said: "This theory of Ferguson about me going to Real in order to persuade Cristiano to come the following summer is a work of absolute fiction.

"I am a very good friend of Cristiano Ronaldo. This is true, but he always decides his own future. Cristiano is a clever person and he decides himself what is best for his own life.

"If he asks me a question about Real then, of course, I will answer, but I'm not a bad influence on him.

"Ferguson has spoken about me in the last months and I don't understand this. I thought he had forgotten me.

"He's the boss at United and any person who protests about anything is marginalised. This was my problem at times when I was there. Ferguson cannot stop my quotes because I'm not now at United."

He added: "I'm actually convinced Cristiano would offer Madrid even bigger performances than he has at United. That is my opinion and it is normal that I have wanted him to come and play with us here in La Liga."

Guest jameslhm

Ronaldo, Casillas and Torres top FIFA award nominees

PARIS (AFP) - Cristiano Ronaldo, Iker Casillas and Fernando Torres head a 23-strong list of candidates for the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year title, the sport's world governing body said on Wednesday.

United's Ronaldo, Real Madrid keeper Casillas and Liverpool striker Torres are also top candidates for this year's European Footballer of the Year award, or Ballon d'Or, organised by France Football magazine.

The winner, voted by national captains and coaches, will be unveiled on January 12 at Zurich's opera theatre. FIFA also unveiled the names of the 10 nominees for the women's version of the award.

Men's FIFA World Player of the Year nominees:

Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo), Sergio Aguero (Argentina), Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Deco (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Steven Gerrard (England), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Kaka (Brazil), Frank Lampard (England), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Franck Ribery (France), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), John Terry (England), Fernando Torres (Spain), Ruud van Nistelrooy (The Netherlands), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain)

Women's FIFA World Player of the Year nominees:

Nadine Angerer (Germany), Shannon Boxx (USA), Cristiane (Brazil), Daniela (Brazil), Marta (Brazil), Birgit Prinz (Germany), Christine Sinclair (Canada), Kelly Smith (England), Hope Solo (USA) and Ingvild Stensland (Norway).

Guest jameslhm

Ronaldo at the double to clinch win

Cristiano Ronaldo answered Sir Alex Ferguson's challenge to score 25 goals this season with a brace to sink West Ham 2-0 at Old Trafford.Newly-crowned FIFPro World Player of the Year Ronaldo took his tally for the campaign to five, first profiting from Nani's precise cross before tapping home from two yards, an effort that owed everything to the genius of Dimitar Berbatov.

Manchester United could have had more, with Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney both going close.

But after Saturday's slip-up at Everton, the three points were all Ferguson wanted as his side look to keep current pacesetters Liverpool in view.

In leaving out Rooney, Ferguson was omitting a man, one visit to Everton apart, at the top of his game.

The need to give Tevez a chance after sitting on the sidelines for virtually a month, was obvious. Some fans, though, questioned why Rooney was the man sacrificed. Others wonder why Berbatov was bought at all given last year's strikeforce proved to be a devastating combination at home and abroad.

Berbatov has tried to answer the doubters with a flurry of goals and eye-catching assists. But none came close to his contribution after half an hour.

James Collins must have thought he was in control as he shadowed Berbatov to the by-line as the pair chased Anderson's pass.

But the young Wales international was in for a shock. With a pirouette any ballet dancer would have been proud of, Berbatov turned, rolled the ball beyond Collins and was gone, hugging the white line before presenting Ronaldo with a tap-in. Even Collins must have felt like applauding.

Having faced Arsenal at Upton Park on Sunday, Gianfranco Zola is quickly discovering management is not quite as easy as he found being a player.

In his programme notes, Ferguson hailed the Italian maestro as his favourite overseas star, some accolade given the brilliance that has walked through Old Trafford's doors alone.

If only Zola had someone with his instinctive brain and silky touch at West Ham.

Almost daily his players are being linked with moves elsewhere.

England defender Matthew Upson is among that number, deservedly so judging by the way he threw his body in the way of so many United chances.

Berbatov, Ronaldo and star man Nani were all denied by the centre-half. There was nothing Upson could do to deny Ronaldo his opener though, the Portugal superstar crashing home from eight yards after one of Nani's pinpoint crosses had rolled into his path.

Tevez was eager to make an impression and he would have scored if his header from Patrice Evra's cross had been a foot either side of Robert Green rather than straight at him.

Any faint hopes of a West Ham revival were dealt a grievous blow just before the break when Valon Behrami went down in agony with no-one near him. The immediate fear was a serious knee injury and the Swiss was in obvious pain as he left the field on a stretcher.

Zola might have been getting some much-needed advice as he strolled down the touchline in earnest conversation with Ferguson as the pair made their way to the dugouts.

But the second period just brought more worries for the newly-installed Hammers chief.

Tevez might have had a penalty when he was hauled down by Herita Ilunga before Nani's rushed his shot when Berbatov laid a neat pass and smashed it over.

The introduction of Rooney and, for only his third appearance of the season, Michael Carrick merely illustrated the difference in standards Zola must now try to overcome.

Rooney had gone for the bald look again and a delicate chip straight after his arrival might have shaved the crossbar if Robert Green had not touched

Guest jameslhm

The Treble wasn't built in a day... almost a year of hard work went into United's epic achievement. We're celebrating the feat with a series of features. This month we look back at October 1998, a month when the Reds’ strikeforce went into overdrive.

UEFA Champions League

After September’s two dramatic draws against Barcelona and Bayern Munich, the Reds headed to Denmark to take on Peter Schmeichel’s old side, Brondby.

Tipped to be the whipping boys of Group D, the Danish champions duly capitulated when United came to town. Ryan Giggs netted after just two minutes when Brondby goalkeeper Mogens Krogh spilled a routine cross. The Welshman made it 2-0 when he headed in Jesper Blomqvist’s centre and it got even worse for the home side on 28 minutes when Andy Cole finished off a dazzling Reds move.

The Danes pulled one back before half-time through Kim Daugaard’s twice-taken free kick, but Alex Ferguson’s men began the second half as they’d started the first, Keane and Yorke firing United into a 5-1 lead. Norwegian substitute Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored eight minutes from time with his first touch but Brondby’s Ebbe Sand had the last word, tapping in thegame’s eighth goal from close range. Elsewhere, Bayern beat Barcelona, so the 6-2 win sent United top of Group D.

Premier League

It wasn’t quite maximum points, but three emphatic wins from four matches saw the Reds’ title charge gather real momentum.

Not for the first time United’s frontmen hit their stride in October. The first victims in 1998 were Southampton. Without an away win in the league all season and without a win at The Dell in the last three visits, United fans were fearing the worst. But Dwight Yorke soon eased any doubts, stretching to meet Andy Cole’s cross on 12 minutes. Cole doubled the Reds’ advantage on the hour with a smart finish before Jordi Cruyff wrapped up the points with an acrobatic volley from 15 yards.

Wimbledon (and manager Joe Kinnear) came to Old Trafford and found themselves on the receiving end of a harsh footballing lesson. Cole scored twice – the first and last goals – while Giggs, Beckham and Yorke also found the net. Beckham’s strike, a long-range daisycutter that crept inside Neil Sullvian’s right-hand post, was the pick of the bunch, while the day’s only blot came via Jason Euell’s deflected early equaliser.

The following weekend, United travelled to Derby where two late goals – one from Rams striker Deon Burton, the other from Reds midfielder Jordi Cruyff – ensured honours ended even at Pride Park. The Reds, recently returned from a midweek jaunt to Denmark, were sluggish for long periods and Sir Alex admitted afterwards that a point was perhaps more than his men deserved.

Normal service was resumed at Goodison Park, where United thumped Everton 4-1 with two goals in each half. Dwight Yorke rattled in the first before David Beckham’s cross was bizarrely headed into his own net by Toffees defender Craig Short. Duncan Ferguson brought the Blues briefly back into the game but Andy Cole and summer signing Jesper Blomqvist sealed the points with second-half strikes.

Come the end of the month, United had clawed their way up to second in the league, just a point behind Aston Villa.

The League Cup

You can’t win ‘em all. The Worthington Cup was the only trophy the Reds failed to lift in the 1998/99 campaign, although United did get off to a winning start on a rain-soaked night at Old Trafford.

It was David versus Goliath as the Reds welcomed Lancashire neighboursBury to the Theatre of Dreams. The Shakers, who ended the league season with relegation to the third tier, belied their minnow status in this cup tie to take United to extra time. It’s not like it was backs against the wall all night, either. Chris Lucketti and Andy Preece both went close for the visitors, but in the end goals from Scandinavians Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Erik Nevland sent the Reds through to the fourth round.

Guest jameslhm

La Liga - Heinze 'saddened' by Fergie claim

Real Madrid defender Gabriel Heinze, a former Manchester United player, said he was "saddened" by Sir Alex Ferguson's claim the Spanish club signed him as part of a failed bid to lure his friend, Portuguese playmaker Cristiano Ronaldo.

"These statements make me sad," the Argentinian said in Madrid ahead of his side's Champions League match at home against Juventus on Wednesday.

"It saddens me that someone like Ferguson, who is respected around the world, makes this sort of foolish remark. This makes me sad because he gave me the chance to play in one of the biggest clubs in the world," he added.

Real Madrid signed the 30-year-old in August 2007 after United refused to let him join Premier League rival Liverpool.

"I knew what they were doing. I don't believe they were interested in Heinze - good player though he is. The endgame was to get Ronaldo," Ferguson recently told GQ magazine.

Real Madrid spent much of the summer courting the Portuguese forward, and United were furious at the reigning Spanish champions' constant efforts to prise him away.

Ronaldo's current deal runs until 2012 but could buy himself out of the contract at the end of the season, so Ferguson has instructed the Old Trafford hierarchy to work on a new deal to ward off further overtures from Real which he expects, according to the Sunday Telegraph.

Guest jameslhm

Wenger: 'We Must Beat United'

Arsene Wenger says Arsenal have to win their clash with Manchester United on Saturday.

The Gunners suffered their third defeat of the season against Stoke at the weekend, a defeat that cast serious doubts over their chances of mounting a serious title challenge this season.

Now Wenger realises that they cannot make many more slip-ups, starting with the visit of United.

"I don't know how many more defeats we can afford," he said. "It's very difficult to say.

"We first have to win our next game and we have a chance again when we play Manchester United on Saturday.

"There is no better game in which to come back from a defeat and from a confidence point of view. It will also give us a chance to show we have quality."

"Is it a game we can't afford to lose? What manager would tell you they can afford to lose a game? You can never afford to lose but we just want to win."

Arsenal have a number of injury concerns ahead of that game, with Theo Walcott and Emmanuel Adebayor limping out of the Stoke defeat. Add to that Robin van Persie's suspension following his red card at the Britannia Stadium, and there are plenty of worries for Arsene Wenger.

However, the state of his squad is apparently not his primary concern at the moment. Wenger told the Arsenal official website: "My biggest worry is that we did not create a lot. We are not used to playing without creating chances and that is very frustrating.

"They scored on two throws and I know you never want that. But we could not express our strong side in the game, which is to create chances and get them out of position.

"I don't approve or disapprove [of Stoke's tactics]. They played the game they wanted and they played it very well. At the end of the day, they could express their strong points and we could not."

Guest jameslhm

Edwin urges United to retain focus

Edwin van der Sar wants Manchester United to regain their focus on Wednesday when they face Celtic at Parkhead in the Champions League.The Holland international was angry and disappointed at the way the Premier League and European champions almost let newly-promoted Hull off the hook at home.

United were 4-1 up and cruising but then conceded two late goals before clinching a narrow nail-biting victory.

Van der Sar believes there must be no repeat in Glasgow or they could suffer the consequences in front of a partisan crowd.

"We got a warning on Saturday," he told MUTV. "We have to make sure we finish teams off.

"We must not stop halfway through the second half and start thinking about the next game.

"You have to take it one game at a time, win it with confidence and then move on."

United are looking to complete the double over Celtic after beating them 3-0 at Old Trafford last month.

Van der Sar is keen to chalk up another clean sheet following his experience against Hull.

He said: "For a goalkeeper and the players you do not like to concede three goals.

"Of course you want to win games but by 1-0, 2-0, 3-0. When you are 4-1 up, you do not expect the other side to score another two goals. But Hull are a team that never give up."

A victory for United against Gordon Strachan's side would give them 10 points and almost certainly a place in the first knockout stage.

That was manager Sir Alex Ferguson's initial target when the draw was made in Monaco. However he faces a midweek selection dilemma as United also face Arsenal in a crucial league match at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday lunchtime.

With the clock ticking down on his career, Van der Sar remains keen to retain his place between the posts.

He knows talented duo Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster are waiting in the wings and anxious to become number one.

Van der Sar added: "I want to play in as many games as possible, although it is nice to get a little rest once in a blue moon. I realise you cannot win things with 11 or 12 players."

Guest jameslhm

Windass Deflated By Old Trafford Omission

Bewildered Hull striker Dean Windass claims he feels like he has been "kicked in the teeth" after being axed for last weekend's trip to Manchester United.

The 39-year-old forward stressed he would only consider leaving the Tigers if an offer which suits him comes in.

Oldham have confirmed their interest in Windass but Leeds have backed off, and in any case dropping two divisions to League One may not appeal to a player whose goal in last season's Coca-Cola Championship final carried Hull into the Barclays Premier League.

The main gripe Windass has relates to his lack of involvement this season, and he has questioned manager Phil Brown's motives for using him off the bench against Chelsea last week.

Windass told itv.com: "I have to admit I've not had a great week and am feeling pretty low at the moment. In fact I feel like I've been kicked in the teeth.

"I finally got on to the pitch against Chelsea last Wednesday and it felt great to be playing again, even if it was only for seven minutes.

"But then on Saturday at Old Trafford I was dropped without any explanation from the manager.

"The reception I got from the Hull fans at the KC [stadium] was amazing and made the hairs on my neck stand up, but after Saturday I now can't help feeling it was something of a token gesture from the manager."

Windass claims he has a "great relationship" with Brown, however, it may become strained as he waits on the sidelines for his chance in the top flight.

"He's told me often that he wants me to stay, but after Saturday I'm feeling bewildered," Windass said.

The former Middlesbrough, Aberdeen and Bradford striker is determined not to become a disruptive presence at the KC Stadium, although his first-team chances look slim with Daniel Cousin, Marlon King and Caleb Folan ahead of him in the pecking order.

"I'm still training hard, no-one can accuse me of sulking but I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel," said Windass.

"They say football has a habit of kicking you in the teeth and I'm feeling that at the moment.

"Apart from the seven minutes against Chelsea, it's been a long time since I played and I don't really know what to do. Shall I move on? I know I'll have to make a decision sooner rather than later.

"I've been told there's interest from Leeds, Oldham and Doncaster but nothing's gone any further.

"If I do leave it has to be for the right reasons and to the right club. I don't just want to go somewhere else to pick up the wages."

Guest jameslhm

No bed for Rooney after Euro win

Wayne Rooney has revealed he celebrated Manchester United's Champions League final win over Chelsea by sleeping on the floor.Rooney was sharing a room with then fiancee Coleen in Moscow but on the night of the final had agreed to let his future brother-in-law and his girlfriend share the room after United's post-game function.

It meant that as the 23-year-old made his way to bed in the early hours, he had nothing better to look forward to than a cold hotel room floor.

"The team didn't get back to the hotel until 2.30am, so the party was probably a bit too late," he told Inside United.

"It was brilliant but I was one of the first to bed. Coleen's brother and his girlfriend stayed with us, so when we went to bed, I had to stay on the floor.

"It was a bit weird - we had just won the Champions League and I was going to sleep on the floor - but I don't think I would have minded where I got my head down that night."

Rooney's Champions League exploits seem to have taken his game to a new level.

Prior to last weekend's trip to former club Everton, the England hitman had scored nine goals in seven games for club and country, his usual return in October, which seems to have been established as his favourite month.

Rooney has no obvious answer why, although the fact he has had so many disrupted pre-seasons may be a clue.

But he does acknowledge once he gets onto a hot streak, it feels like he is never going to miss.

"It's brilliant," he said. "You practice on the training ground to make things happen in games.

"When those things do happen it is great because it means all the work you have done has been worthwhile.

"When you are confident it feels like every shot is going to go in."

Sir Alex Ferguson is not the only one hoping Rooney continues at his present rate. Fabio Capello also has a vested interest in keeping Rooney on top of his game.

Rooney is expected to win his 49th cap against Germany later this month.

He would have had the half century already if England had not failed to qualify for Euro 2008, something that still irritates Rooney now, as well as causing some disruption to his honeymoon.

"I was absolutely devastated we did not qualify," said Rooney.

"I watched every game. I watched them on my honeymoon.

"But these things happen in football. We just have to try and put that right now in the next qualifying campaign."