• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Manchester United FC Daily News Thread

keltanky

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jameslhm

Giggs Senses Cup Catalyst

Ryan Giggs can sense the familiar momentum starting to build at Manchester United - which is bad news for Saturday's opponents Bolton.

After taking encouragement from successive draws against Villarreal and Chelsea in the Champions League and Barclays Premier League respectively, United finally got the win they craved by beating Middlesbrough at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

It might only have been the Carling Cup and they might only have been facing 10 men for the last 20 minutes following Emanuel Pogatetz's disgraceful challenge on Rodrigo Possebon but for United, the win could take on far more significance than merely booking a place in the fourth round.

"We have had a tough start," acknowledged Giggs.

"We didn't play well at the beginning of the season but over the last week or so we have played some really good stuff.

"This team is capable of going on a run and winning 10 games on the trot. Hopefully that run has started now and we can carry it on against Bolton."

Unlike 12 months ago, when, much to Sir Alex Ferguson's frustration, the Red Devils folded on home soil against Coventry, there were plenty of positives.

Five younger members of the Scot's squad showed promise, a few older ones, including Giggs, got some valuable match practice under their belts, while Cristiano Ronaldo got his name on the scoresheet for the first time since last May's Champions League final.

Unfortunately, it was all overshadowed by the horror tackle on Possebon.

The young Brazilian had been patrolling central midfield in outstanding fashion and was starting to trigger thoughts of just how long Ferguson could keep him out of his starting line-up when Pogatetz made his crass lunge.

Thankfully, the Middlesbrough skipper did not break the 19-year-old's leg as originally feared.

However, Possebon may have suffered ligament damage and is facing the prospect of a spell on the sidelines.

"It was very high," said Giggs of Pogatetz's tackle.

"The ball wasn't up there. The ball was on the floor and he went over it.

"Rodrigo suffered a really bad, deep cut but hopefully he will be okay because he did really well."

Possebon's drive in the middle of the pitch helped United win the midfield duel and with Giggs relishing the chance to run at a Middlesbrough defence for whom only David Wheater really shone, the hosts could have been coasting at half-time.

Instead, they only had Ronaldo's effort to show for their efforts, although the Portugal international's header, similar to the one he produced in the Luzhniki Stadium, was a poignant one given his tumultuous summer.

"No-one wants to lose Cristiano," said Giggs.

"He is such a special player, as he proved again.

"He scores all sorts of goals, which is why he is such a danger. He looks really sharp and it is great to have him back."

Ferguson must now decide whether, with another hour under his belt, Ronaldo is ready to be let loose on Bolton, the team he made his United debut against in 2003.

The same is also true of Anderson, who has looked out of sorts since returning from Olympic duty with Brazil, although Ferguson detects the South American is nearly back to his best again.

"There is no doubt Anderson felt the effects of being in China," said the United boss.

"When he played his first game at Portsmouth the adrenalin kept him going but since then he has been pretty low.

"Now it seems he is back to his usual self, which is great to see."

Giggs too is eager to make a contribution.

At 34, the Welshman has virtually come full circle, using the League Cup as valuable match practice whereas at the start of his illustrious career it was to show his ability, which has never seriously been in question.

With 764 appearances to his name, Giggs is edging his club record way beyond Sir Bobby Charlton to a level it is impossible to imagine anyone ever reaching.

And his 145th goal - a delightful chip 11 minutes from time after Chris Riggott had stood on the ball - means he is just five short of becoming the ninth United player to reach the magic 150.

"It was a nice goal," Giggs said of his latest effort.

"I made my mind up quite early. I knew what I was going to do as soon as I went through so all I had to do was stick to it."

Guest jameslhm

Good news for Possebon

United's medical staff have confirmed that Rodrigo Possebon has not suffered a break after being stretchered off against Middlesbrough on Tuesday night.

The 19-year-old Brazilian midfielder was in agony following a challenge from Middlesbrough captain Emanuel Pogatetz after an hour of the Reds' 3-1 Carling Cup third round win.

A club spokesperson told ManUtd.com on Wednesday morning: "We can confirm that Rodrigo did not suffer a break to his right leg. He was kept in hospital overnight for observation and to assess whether there was any ligament damage to his knee."

At the moment, however, everyone at the club is just pleased to hear that Possebon's injury does not involve a serious break as was first feared.

Sir Alex said after the match: "For the kid to make his first start and get an injury like that is pretty horrendous. I think everyone was numb for about ten minutes afterwards and it killed our momentum a little bit. I saw a few replays of it, but I don't want to see it again. It was just terrible."

Despite being initially disappointed by Pogatetz's reaction to his subsequent red card, but he praised Boro boss Gareth Southgate for his attitude after the game.

"I couldn't understand it [his reaction], he should have walked straight off," said the manager. "One of the guys on their bench was screaming that it was never a sending off and there was nothing wrong with Rodrigo. Middlesbrough have apologised though. Gareth Southgate was very good. He understood the gravity of it and was very apologetic."

Guest jameslhm

Scolari blasts seven-card United

Luiz Felipe Scolari has told United to show more respect for referees after Mike Riley booked seven of their players during a stormy 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge. Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville and Patrice Evra were all booked for United, who will be given a mandatory fine of £25,000 by the FA. Tempers flared at the final whistle, with Ferdinand complaining to United boss Sir Alex Ferguson about the theatrics of Chelsea substitute Didier Drogba as they left the pitch and Ferguson himself furious with Riley. Referee Mike Riley brandished seven yellow cards to United players at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea manager Scolari said: "I’m not surprised there were so many bookings. The referee is there for that reason. If players don’t respect him then he will show yellow card or red cards. It is the same for everyone — Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United."

Neil Ashton, Daily Mail

The Sun reports that United's team bus was attacked as it left Stamford Bridge. A Blues fan was arrested after a stone was thrown at the coach and a window was cracked. A United spokesman later confirmed the incident is now in the hands of the police.

In other news, Sir Alex Ferguson says he expects Real Madrid to make another move for Cristiano Ronaldo when the transfer window reopens, but insists United are in a good position to retain the winger.

Guest jameslhm

Edging towards an eighth century of United appearances, Ryan Giggs knows what it takes to make it at Old Trafford – and the veteran winger liked what he saw from the Reds’ youngsters against Middlesbrough.

Danny Welbeck, Ben Amos and Manucho made their first senior appearances, with Rafael Da Silva and Rodrigo Possebon making their full debuts, as the Reds turned in a swaggering 3-1 victory to reach the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

“As a Manchester United player you know you’ve got the ability, it’s whether you’ve got the temperament, and I thought the young lads who came in showed that temperament,” Ryan told MUTV after the match.

“You can freeze. It’s a big stage, Old Trafford, but the young lads did really well. I think from start to finish. We started really well and looked sharp. It was a really good performance.”

The evening was marred by Emanuel Pogatetz’s lunging challenge on Rodrigo Possebon – a tackle which earned the defender a red card and prompted a lengthy delay while the Brazilian received treatment – but Giggs was impressed by how the Reds reacted.

“An injury like that can affect a team, but I thought we came back from it well,” he said. “We kept the ball and, with them being down to ten men, we knew the chances would come.

"The movement of the team and the chances we created were really positive. And these were players who perhaps haven’t played regularly, so there were a lot of positives.”

Guest jameslhm

Ferguson: Rooney Not A Concern

Manchester Unietd boss Sir Alex Ferguson has no fears about the form of Wayne Rooney.

With Carlos Tevez in outstanding form, Cristiano Ronaldo inching back to full fitness and Dimitar Berbatov just needing more match sharpness to prove he is worthy of the £30million price-tag he commanded from Tottenham, Rooney is in danger of becoming Manchester United's odd man out.

Although he was outstanding for England in their brilliant 4-1 win over Croatia, he has struggled to replicate that form for the Red Devils.

Rooney is yet to find the target for Ferguson's team this term, something both Tevez and Ronaldo have managed, and it would be no surprise if the 22-year-old found it was his turn for a rest when United tackle Bolton searching for their first home Premier League win on Saturday.

Yet Ferguson insists he is not concerned for the young Merseysider.

"Players are still trying to find their fitness," argued Ferguson.

"Wayne is not getting a lot of chances at the moment but Liverpool and Chelsea are hardly the easiest places to go.

"It is difficult to judge the goalscoring performance of any player when you have those two games right at the start of a season."

Ferguson was able to confirm Rooney will be left out at some stage during the campaign. But it will have nothing to do with the former Everton striker's form.

Rooney may have developed a welcome reputation for wanting to play every minute of every game. However, in modern-day football it is just not possible.

"For us to achieve what we want to achieve we need four strikers," said Ferguson.

"I have been saying for over a year now we have been operating with two strikers, which is ridiculous for a club of our size.

"It is not always a matter of who is playing the best or who I prefer. It is a matter of keeping the freshness in the team.

"There is an art to keeping strikers fresh.

"You go back to the four strikers I had in 1999, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole were always just in front but it was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Teddy Sheringham who scored at the most important time."

Danny Welbeck's performance as a lone frontman against Middlesbrough in midweek has convinced Ferguson the 17-year-old can be included among his quartet, although more likely Ronaldo will provide the support to Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, who Ferguson is waiting to hit top form as well.

"We would have rather had Dimitar on July 1 than August 31," reflected Ferguson.

"He will improve us, there is no question about that at all.

"But we are playing catch-up fitness-wise.

"It is difficult to say how long it will take because he is quite a languid mover.

"He is a very quick decision-maker, though, and he has a composure and calmness about him.

"We have a lot of young players up front, so bringing someone in with those attributes and that sense of timing is good for us."

Having never previously expressed any reservations about Bolton's style of play, Ferguson has decided to change tack.

His criticism of Kevin Davies' tackle on Arsenal's Gael Clichy last week may have been triggered by Emanuel Pogatetz's even more desperate lunge on his own Rodrigo Possebon, but Ferguson clearly felt the Bolton man went too far.

"I know (Bolton boss) Gary Megson has but it is hard to defend anyone when he makes tackles like the one last week," said Ferguson.

"He might have got the ball with his right foot but he didn't with his left."

At least Ferguson was able to deliver some good news on Possebon after he was carried off against Middlesbrough.

Like Michael Carrick and Thomas Kuszczak - but not Edwin van der Sar, despite the keeper limping out of the draw at Chelsea last weekend - the young Brazilian will miss out on Saturday.

But with no break and no ligament damage either, it is far less serious than Ferguson originally feared.

"I looked at the reaction from Nani when it happened," recalled the Red Devils chief.

"It was the same as the Arsenal players for Eduardo last season and even when David Busst suffered his terrible injury at Old Trafford a few years back.

"Thankfully, it is just a gash in the bone.

"He does have to go back into hospital to have it closed up but we are quite happy with that."

Guest jameslhm

We are coming to get you, Man Utd boss warns Gunners

MANCHESTER (AFP) - Sir Alex Ferguson has warned the Premier League pacesetters his Manchester United side is finally ready to kick-start the campaign.

United's sluggish start has left Ferguson's team lying seven points behind early leaders Arsenal.

The disappointing opening draw with with Newcastle was followed by three road trips and United face Bolton at Old Trafford on Saturday still looking for their first home win.

And while last Sunday's point at Chelsea was viewed as a moral victory, the previous week's defeat at Liverpool had hit United hard.

But Ferguson insists he drew comfort from the way his side played at Stamford Bridge where he believes Chelsea only forced their way back into the game because of a lack of match fitness on the part of key United players.

And he claims their are strong parallels between the current season and the same period last year when United recovered from a similar position to clinch a second successive title.

The United manager said: "We've had a tough start and had three away games in a row.

"But if you compare that to last season, we are on the same points tally.

"Early season isn't decisive but I expect our form to pick up now, starting tomorrow against Bolton.

"The form of the team has started to come together and I think we expected that. And as I said a week ago, by October we will be back to normal I hope.

"Our first half against Chelsea was excellent. A few players showed they needed the game but it was very satisfactory.

"Owen Hargreaves, Gary Neville, Park Ji-Sung, and Dimitar Berbatov all needed the game to build up their match fitness and I thought it showed.

"But they will develop that as they play more games and will get better and better."

Ferguson was left fuming by the performance of referee Mike Riley who booked seven United players in last week's clash with Chelsea.

And he insisted it will be business as usual when his side face a Bolton side who came in for heavy criticism for their muscular approach against Arsenal last week.

He added: "I looked at the Chelsea game and there wasn't a bad tackle in the match. But he (Riley)'s been rewarded, he's got Everton v Liverpool tomorrow.

"That will be fun and games! But we don't have any problem with discipline in the team. We always play good football and that will continue."

Carlos Tevez is set to start against Wanderers after being named among the substitutes at Stamford Bridge.

But Ferguson is adamant the Argentine striker understands why he was left out.

Ferguson added: "Tevez will be involved tomorrow, no doubt. When you have a squad of players you have a problem.

"If you are going to win something you need a string squad and that has paid us dividends.

"Players understand that when you tell them three or four days ahead but when it actually comes to the day of the game they all want to play.

"I wouldn't like to have anyone who didn't want to play."

Guest jameslhm

Premier League - Ronaldo and Rooney fire United

Second-half goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney put Manchester United's title ambitions back on track with a 2-0 defeat of Bolton at Old Trafford.

More StoriesMatchcast

Match Gallery

Ronaldo won and converted a disputed penalty on 60 minutes to score his first league goal of the season, before Rooney arrived from the substitutes' bench to seal victory with an exquisite finish late on.

The result represented only United's second win in five Premier League matches, and the first time Sir Alex Ferguson's team have scored more than once in the top flight this season.

The opening exchanges belonged to Bolton, however, who took no time in asserting their trademark physicality on United's comparatively lightweight midfield.

Two minutes in the visitors had the first shot on target, when Kevin Nolan reacted first to a loose ball and struck a firm volley into the arms of Edwin van der Sar.

Kevin Davies was the next to threaten, driving in from the left and sending over a far-post cross which Rio Ferdinand dealt with comfortably.

But United escaped the early volleys unscathed and gradually started to settle in possession.

On 13 minutes, Dimitar Berbatov met Darren Fletcher's right-wing cross with a crisp header, but could only direct it straight at Jussi Jaaskelainen in the Bolton goal.

Two minutes later Carlos Tevez cut in from the left and fired a low shot that Jaaskelainen parried into the path of Park Ji-Sung. The South Korean found the angle too tight, however, and could only find the side netting.

Just after the half-hour mark Jaaskelainen made a fine save to deny Anderson, and soon after repeated the feat to punch away a powerful Ferdinand effort.

Bolton were being outplayed and bookings for Johan Elmander, Davies and Gavin McCann owed much to their inability to cope with United's attacking threat.

Just before the interval, however, Gary Megson's men launched a counter-attack and missed a glorious opportunity to take an undeserved lead.

Gretar Steinsson was the architect, reaching the by-line on the right and finding Fabrica Muamba with a fine cross - only for the midfielder to shoot wide from six yards with Van der Sar sprawling.

The second half began with United firmly in the ascendancy. Ronaldo cut across the Bolton box from the left to shoot against the post on 52 minutes, and the visitors duly parked all of their resources behind the ball.

The Portuguese winger moved to the opposite flank soon after and won his side a penalty from referee Rob Styles after Jloyd Samuel was harshly adjudged to have brought him down.

Replays showed the defender got the ball, and Ronaldo compounded Bolton's frustration by sending Jaaskelainen the wrong way and putting United ahead with a flourish.

In truth it was no more than the home side deserved, and they doubled their lead on 77 minutes with a fine finish from substitute Rooney.

Ronaldo was inevitably involved, driving into the Bolton box before finding the England striker with an impudent backheel. Rooney dragged the ball back and sent a curling shot beyond Jaaskelainen into the far corner.

There would be no response from Gary Megson's toothless Bolton, who other than the occasional foray were hopelessly bereft of ambition and ultimately could have suffered a far heavier defeat but for the efforts of Jaaskelainen.

Substitute Paul Scholes was sent clean through by Berbatov on 88 minutes, but the impressive Jaaskelainen once more came to the visitor's rescue - saving with his legs.

United played out the closing minutes comfortably, and Ferguson could even afford the luxury of withdrawing the ever-influential Ronaldo once his important work was done.

With both he and Rooney on the scoresheet there was a familiar look to this United victory - one that will surely send a clear message to those who dared to doubt United's title credentials.

Guest jameslhm

Berba pleased with United progress

Dimitar Berbatov was happy with his display on his home debut for Manchester United in the win over Bolton and says the goals will soon come.The Bulgarian is still searching for his first goal for United since his £30million move from Tottenham on transfer deadline day.

The 27-year-old was disappointed not to break his duck against Bolton, but believes his performance was his best so far for the club.

"I really wanted to score a goal," Berbabtov told MUTV. "But the three points are the most important thing and we were the better team today. We scored two goals but missed four or five chances.

"I'm happy with how I'm playing, particularly after today.

"The game was good for me. I didn't take my chances so hopefully in the future I will score.

Improvement"I think today was a big improvement from myself and from the team. I'm working really hard to help the team and so I can develop a better understanding with everyone. I'm sure that will happen."

United chief Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted with Berbatov's performance and feels he adds a lot more to United' game with his ability to hold the ball up front.

"You don't need to pass to him in space all the time. You can pass to him when he's marked - he's brilliant at that and he produced some great moments, as did a lot of the players. His touch was fantastic at times," enthused Ferguson

Guest jameslhm

Ferguson claims penalty that never was as United's due

MANCHESTER, England (AFP) - Alex Ferguson has admitted Manchester United enjoyed a lucky break with a penalty decision that allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to put his team on course for a 2-0 win over Bolton.

But the Scot was still more than happy to accept his side's good fortune and claimed it was no more than they were due from referee Rob Styles.

The official awarded Ronaldo the penalty after the winger was tackled in the area by Jlloyd Samuel with replays clearly showing the defender won the ball fairly.

Wayne Rooney, left out as part of Ferguson's squad rotation policy, claimed the second goal for United - the perfect response to being left out of the starting line-up.

But it was Styles's glaring error that dominated post-match discussion.

Ferguson said: "I was surprised. I haven't seen it again but I was surprised because it looked to me as if their player got his foot on the ball.

"Nonetheless, Rob turned down four or five for us last year so maybe we got payback today but he still owes us four! It was surprising but it was a little break.

"We would have won the game okay but when teams are defending the way they did, with that determination, they are difficult to break down and you need a little break like that.

"We have had some good chances in the match and played some good football at times. I think we deserved the victory."

Bolton manager Gary Megson was clearly fuming on the touchline and was still incensed by Styles' officiating after the final whistle.

"I can't imagine there is any side in the world where you have to play against the likes of Berbatov, Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney and yet it was 0-0," said Megson. "Unfortunately, you can add Rob Styles to those four.

"It wasn't a penalty. At the time when it was given I didn't think it was even close and he was contemplating booking Ronaldo for diving and that would have been wrong. It was a nonsense decision.

"It sticks in the throat that last season, people were talking about diving, feigning injury and technology to help referees with goal-line and penalty incidents and what do we come up with? Respect for the referee, disappear anyway. But it wasn't just the penalty incident, our first free-kick was given after 34 minutes.

"When we found out he was refereeing the game on Thursday, apparently he's got a bit of a history with Bolton and quite a few hearts sank."

Ferguson paid tribute to the response shown by Rooney, who scored his first goal for the club since late April after coming on as a 71st minute substitute, and to home debutant Dimitar Berbatov.

"There would be more respect if he comes out now and says that he's made a mistake but if he tries to justify it, then that respect will which is quite ironic. "If we get responses like that from that players we have then it's terrific for the club," said the Scot. "It's good for the team and everyone.

"It was an excellent second goal and we played some terrific football at times. We're still learning but when we understand how good Berbatov is then we will improve."

"You don't need to pass to him in space all the time and he produced some great moments, his touch is fantastic at times.

"I thought we played too tight in the first half, with too many six yard passes instead of spreading the game quicker. In the second half, we were more compact and had far more width in our game. It was very satisfying in the end."

Owen Hargreaves was kept out of the United line-up, with a slight knee injury, while Wes Brown was rested but will be available for Tuesday's Champions League trip to play Aalborg in Denmark.