• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Manchester United FC Daily News Thread

keltanky

Guest jameslhm

Ronaldo Warning For Chelsea

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has promised to hit Chelsea where it hurts if they attempt to kick him off the Stamford Bridge pitch on Sunday.

The Premier League favourites face off in west London with the Blues knowing they could claim an already decisive-looking nine-point lead over last season's champions.

United have been in mediocre form by their standards so far this term but were boosted by the return of Ronaldo as a substitute in Wednesday's goalless Champions League draw with Villarreal.

The Portuguese winger had been out of action since undergoing ankle surgery in July, but he is expected to start against Chelsea and has warned United's title rivals that he is ready to strike back if they attempt to muscle him out of this weekend's crucial clash.

"I know that the attempts to intimidate me on the pitch will start again immediately - but everyone finds sooner or later that it is difficult to make me lose my rag," he told The Sun.

"I'll be booted again but I will not kick out when it happens. I'm tough and, again, it's all just part of the spectacle.

"I'll do my damage as usual by paying them all back with my goals."

Ronaldo also played down criticism of United's stuttering start to the season, which has seen them win just a single game in six, adding: "There's no problem at all with our form. Last year we started like this, look how we ended up."

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jameslhm

Movie star Giggs shocked by glory

Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs has admitted he never expected to become the most decorated player in British football history.The Red Devils have made an inauspicious start to their defence of the Premier League and the Champions League following a 2-1 defeat to Liverpool last weekend and a 0-0 draw against Villarreal during the week.

Giggs, who collected his 10th league winners' medal and second European Cup winner medal last season, will hope to be involved against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday as United aim to make amends for their stuttering start.

But the 34-year-old winger, who was speaking at the launch of a star-studded premiere of a film about his life, revealed he was "lucky" to be part of United's success.

"I could never envisage first of all how long I'm going to play in the team, and then how successful it's been in that time," Giggs said.

"I have been fortunate to play in an era where it's been the most successful time in Manchester United's history so I have been lucky.

"I moved into Salford from the age of seven. I grew up in the Salford area, played for Salford Boys, and then to play for Manchester United is just unbelievable.

"You can't describe it. You don't think it's going to happen."

United chief executive David Gill paid tribute to Giggs' contribution to United which spans almost two decades since he turned professional with the club in November 1990.

The former Wales international has won numerous personal accolades as well as his achievements with United including surpassing Sir Bobby Charlton's record of 758 appearances.

"I think clearly it's testament to someone who has had a fantastic career, loved it and I think that is what we try to have at Manchester United," Gill said.

"We have got many players, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, who have played many years for us, and it's fantastic.

"But in this day and age people tend to move on much more than they did previously. It's fantastic for Ryan and fantastic for the club.

"He's fit, and in this day and age where players look after themselves and all the support they get, they can play for many years and we hope that is the case for Ryan."

Former United captain Bryan Robson agreed with Gill's assessment of Giggs' achievements and held the player up as a blueprint for young players to achieve success.

Robson added: "He's had a fantastic career. He's been a real legend and ambassador towards football.

"The way he handles the media, the way he goes about being a professional footballer, for any young kids he's an example to look to.

"In the early games this season I think he's looked really fit and sharp in his game and I think he'll have a big season for United again."

Guest jameslhm

City move possible, says Ronaldo

Ronaldo has again claimed he is in talks with Manchester City and believes it is a "big possibility" he could soon be playing for them.The out-of-contract 31-year-old reckons he is within two to three months of a return to competitive action after being sidelined since February with a knee-ligament injury.

City, who are close to finalising a takeover by the Abu Dhabi-based United Group, confirmed on Tuesday they had spoken to Ronaldo and his representatives but would not be looking to sign the player.

However, Ronaldo claims the switch could still be on and that a move to England is uppermost in his thoughts.

"Yes, it is a big possibility," he said, when asked by French daily L'Equipe if he was tempted by playing in the Premier League.

"Manchester City are in the process of putting in place an unbelievable project, with some great players.

"A project which is long term but which could get immediate results because City want to topple the existing order of world football.

"We are in the process of talking to them. So we will see."

The Brazilian, who believes his recovery from his knee injury is going "marvellously well", has played down fears about his fitness.

"People can say what they want," he added. "Let's just say I am above my usual weight, but that is normal. That isn't surprising - I have gone five months without training.

"There is nothing illogical about putting on a few kilos. They can say what they want, it doesn't bother me.

"I am going to continue to work hard and to look to reach my goal, to get back playing football. Like before."

Ronaldo also revealed an interest in playing in the French league, with Paris Saint-Germain - a club that has taken in a number of high-profile Brazilians such as Ronaldinho and Rai - his preferred destination.

"I have never received an offer from a French club, (but) I would love to," he said. "I love Paris. I have a flat there and I often go over there.

"PSG are currently in the process of building something beautiful. They have recruited some good players and they have built a team capable of winning the title."

Guest jameslhm

Manchester United's team bus was attacked as it left Stamford Bridge on Sunday night.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side were making their way to Euston for their return journey to the north-west after the 1-1 draw with Chelsea when a bottle was hurled at the windscreen.

No-one was injured, although the windscreen was cracked.

Nevertheless, the team continued on their short trip across London without further incident.

United officials were eager to play down the incident afterwards.

"Yes. There was an incident but the matter is now in the hands of the police," said a club spokesman.

Last time United visited the stadium Patrice Evra became involved in a heated post-match exchange with Chelsea groundsman Sam Bethell which is still the subject of an FA investigation while Rio Ferdinand was forced to apologise to a female steward after kicking a ball at her in anger.

Today's encounter was not much less contentious, with United picking up seven yellow cards from referee Mike Riley which will now see them fined by the FA.

(reopens) A Chelsea statement tonight read: "We are aware of reports of an altercation with the Manchester United bus as it left the Stamford Bridge area.

"It appears to be an isolated incident but we have launched a full investigation in conjunction with local authorities.

"We do not condone violence in any shape or form. If, as a result of our investigations, we find that any Chelsea supporters were involved we will take appropriate action against those individuals."

Guest jameslhm

Ferguson Bemused By United Bookings

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was left biting his tongue at the performance of referee Mike Riley at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Riley booked seven United players during the 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

The visitors were lucky the damage was not even worse given Cristiano Ronaldo got away with a blatant dive just after his introduction as a second-half substitute and Rio Ferdinand appeared to charge right into Didier Drogba as Riley blew for full-time.

As both Ronaldo and Ferdinand were among the seven offenders, United could easily have been cursing a red card as well as the glut of yellows which leaves them facing an automatic FA fine.

Yet Ferguson did not believe there had been a bad tackle in the game.

"The game is being screened worldwide," he reflected.

"Everyone is watching it and something like that goes on.

"It was a competitive game but I did not think there was one bad tackle in it."

Apart from Ferdinand and Ronaldo, Paul Scholes, Dimitar Berbatov, Gary Neville, Wayne Rooney and Patrice Evra were cautioned.

"People are saying, 'What is going on here?' but it is difficult to say anything about the referee," added Ferguson.

"I do not want to get involved."

United's players clearly felt the same way as their manager as they left Stamford Bridge, although Riley's performance is sure to get dissected by the FA before they take action.

The number of bookings - Chelsea had one as well - certainly went against the principles of the FA's much-trumpeted 'Respect' campaign.

"I am not surprised," said Luiz Felipe Scolari.

"That is what the referee is there for.

"If players do not respect him, it should be yellow and red cards. It doesn't matter who you are - Liverpool or Manchester United, whoever."

However, the Chelsea coach said he was puzzled at the bizarre ending, with Riley blowing for time as Drogba was about to receive treatment.

"It was strange that he finished the game at that time but we need to accept his decision."

Guest jameslhm

Scolari Relieved After Draw

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari was relieved to escape with a point against Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, after injuries to Deco and Ricardo Carvalho.

Chelsea lost midfield playmaker Deco to a warm-up injury, and key defender Carvalho limped off after only 12 minutes of the 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw.

Ji-sung Park gave United a deserved 18th-minute lead, but substitute Salomon Kalou headed an equaliser 10 minutes from time to preserve Chelsea's 85-match unbeaten home league record.

"The game is one of the best games we've played (this season), because we have many problems," Scolari said.

"After we lost Deco, Manchester controlled the game for 15 minutes and they played better than us. They made a goal - and after this, we improved.

"We had more chances than them but we missed some chances in front of goal.

"At half-time I said we wanted Lampard and Ballack more up front, nearer the strikers - and we put Drogba on."

Scolari, who is set to sign defensive midfielder Mineiro within 24 hours, was pleased with his side's spirit, although he does not care about the amazing record they have at home.

"For me, the record is nothing. The record is whether we win the championship. It might mean something for the fans but not for me," Scolari said.

"They [the players] have a fantastic spirit. I said before the game Michael Ballack had maybe 45 minutes in him and Didier Drogba 45 minutes.

"Michael played 70 minutes because of his spirit and he wants to win - he gave more than I expected.

"I have many problems in terms of injuries and I have to change the team but that is my job."

Scolari does not feel the title is not a two-horse race at the moment and admitted it is too early in the season to make such a claim.

He added: "There's not just the two of us - there are five or six teams. After maybe 20 games, maybe two teams will go more in front but now there are five teams together."

Guest jameslhm

Good Point For United - Rooney

Wayne Rooney said Manchester United's draw at Chelsea was a point gained.

The reigning Premier League champions went ahead through Park Ji-sung early in the big game at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

And though their hopes of victory were dashed when sub Salomon Kalou levelled 10 minutes from time, Rooney says the visitors were more than happy with a share of the spoils.

"It's definitely a point gained," he told MUTV. "Chelsea's record at Stamford Bridge is really good and, although we were leading for most of the game and it was disappointing to lose the goal, it's still a good point.

"We had the better of the game in the first half but Chelsea were better in the second half. A draw was probably a fair result."

Sunday's performance will boost United, who came into the game on the back of a hugely disappointing defeat at Liverpool and a midweek Champions League stalemate against Villarreal.

Rooney added "We were all disappointed (by the Liverpool defeat). It was a terrible display, but against Villarreal I thought we deserved to win, and against Chelsea we showed at times what a good football team we can be.

More good news for United on Sunday came with the return to Premier League action of Cristiano Ronaldo - a second-half substitute.

"It's a huge boost for us to have Cristiano back," said Rooney.

"He's a great player and hopefully he can get a few games in the next few weeks. That will give him fitness and he'll start to produce what we know he is capable of.

"With Dimitar (Berbatov), he's a new player and we had some good touches together. I'm sure the partnership will get better the more we play together and, of course, with Carlos Tevez to come in as well."

Guest jameslhm

Edwin van der Sar should be fit to face Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, despite needing to be substituted at Stamford Bridge in the first half.

The Dutchman, who was injured in a collision with Chelsea forward Florent Malouda in Sunday’s 1-1 draw, played on briefly before signalling to the bench that he could no longer continue.

“He got some studs in the kneecap and there was a bit of swelling there,” Sir Alex told MUTV after the final whistle. “Hopefully he’ll be okay for next week.”

Van der Sar isn’t the only Reds goalkeeper who’ll be visiting the treatment room at Carrington this week.

Ben Foster fell awkwardly on his ankle playing for United’s Reserves last Thursday and is expected to be out of action for up to two months.

“Ben’s not had any luck,” Sir Alex told media last Friday. “He’s been blighted by injuries so far in his career.

“He’s a top goalkeeper and I just hope he gets a little break now.”

Tomasz Kuszczak, who replaced van der Sar at Chelsea, will almost certainly don United’s goalkeeper jersey on Tuesday night when Middlesbrough arrive at Old Trafford in the Carling Cup.

Guest jameslhm

Manchester United have got their nightmare run of games out of the way - now the Premier League better watch out according to Wayne Rooney.

Although Sunday's point at Chelsea is the only thing keeping Sir Alex Ferguson's men above the relegation zone, Rooney knows they have a precious match in hand.

And he also realises in Portsmouth, Liverpool and Chelsea, United have already come through arguably the three hardest away games they will face all season.

Which is why the England man is so bullish about what lies ahead for the Old Trafford outfit.

"That was definitely a point gained for us and was an answer to our critics," said the 22-year-old.

"As soon as we saw the fixture list we knew it was going to be a tough start to the season.

"We have just had three really hard games, possibly our toughest of all.

"Now we have got them out of the way, hopefully we can go on a run."

Despite being just eight minutes away from ending Chelsea's incredible now 85-match unbeaten home record, Rooney still declared himself happy with the outcome, recognising the home side were in charge after the interval even if United were top dogs before the break.

"Chelsea have a really good record here, so although we were in front for quite a long time and did well, a draw was a good result and probably quite fair given how the game went," he said.

"I had a half-chance before they equalised which I might have done a bit better with.

"But it wasn't to be and overall we did well."

Aside from seven bookings, which will bring no punishment other than the automatic £25,000 fine, United do know some of their key men are nearing full fitness.

Record signing Dimitar Berbatov was starting only his second game of the season, as were goalscorer Park Ji-sung, skipper Gary Neville and midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

And Cristiano Ronaldo has now managed two substitute appearances as well.

The Portugal superstar is clearly still some way below his best, although Rooney is confident it won't be long before Ronaldo is terrorising defences on a regular basis once more.

"It is a great boost for everyone to have Cristiano back," said Rooney.

"He adds a different dimension to our play, so hopefully he can get a few more games under his belt.

"Everyone knows what a great player he is. Once he is fully fit he will soon start producing his best form again."

The partnership between Rooney and Berbatov also showed signs of flourishing, even if Carlos Tevez is unlikely to be left on the bench indefinitely by Ferguson, while the continuing impressive form of Jonny Evans is likely to provide the United boss with a major selection headache should Nemanja Vidic or Rio Ferdinand find themselves missing again.

Quite how many of Ferguson's first-team squad will be in action against Middlesbrough tomorrow night remains to be seen.

In sanctioning the Carling Cup tie just 48 hours after a trip to London, the Scot appeared to be sending out a clear signal that he intends handing opportunities to the likes of Daniel Welbeck as well as his three Brazilians, Rodrigo Possebon and the Da Silva brothers Rodrigo and Fabio.

However, some of the more established members of United's squad, namely Anderson and Nani are desperately in need of match practice, while John O'Shea could be involved as well as Angolan striker Manucho, who is in line for his debut.

And though he will almost certainly be excused from duty, Rooney knows Ferguson is bound to feel happier about his team than he did at Liverpool last weekend, especially as Edwin van der Sar's knee injury is not predicted to prove serious.

"We were all very disappointed with that," recalled the Merseysider.

"Chelsea was different. It was a far better display and showed what a good side we can be at times."

Guest jameslhm

No Further Action For United

Manchester United will face no further action over their conduct at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

After picking up seven yellow cards during the draw with Chelsea, Sir Alex Ferguson's men already knew they would receive an automatic £25,000 fine from the FA.

However, there was a fear referee Mike Riley might suggest further incidents needed looking at, particularly Rio Ferdinand's challenge on Didier Drogba at the end of the game and the aggressive attitude of some Red Devils players after the final whistle.

Those worries have now been allayed, with the FA confirming there was no mention within Riley's report of any incident that he felt warranted further investigation, meaning United will avoid further scrutiny.

Although clearly unhappy with some of Riley's decisions, Sir Alex Ferguson's wisdom in keeping his own counsel has also been proven.

Ferguson did claim there had not been a bad tackle in the game, although he resisted the obvious temptation to condemn Riley.

"It was a competitive game but I did not think there was one bad tackle in it," said the United boss.

"The game is being screened worldwide. Everyone is watching it and something like that happens.

"People are saying what is going on here but it is difficult to say anything about the referee.

"I do not want to get involved."

Guest jameslhm

Southgate: Pressure all on United

Gareth Southgate believes all the pressure is on Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United for Middlesbrough's Carling Cup trip to Old Trafford.United go into Tuesday night's game with just one win - at Portsmouth in August - to show from six fixtures in all competitions since the start of the Premier League season.

While the Carling Cup may be very much last on Sir Alex's list of priorities for the season, the vastly experienced Scot will want to end his side's uncharacteristically poor sequence of results at the earliest opportunity.

Should the United boss opt to ring the changes and field a makeshift line-up, Southgate does not believe it puts Boro under extra pressure to claim a result, and lists the non-starters at Chelsea as evidence of the Red Devils' incredible strength in depth.

Southgate said: "When I looked at their squad it was Nani, Giggs, Ronaldo, Tevez, O'Shea, Vidic (who did not start), so it still looks decent to me, so I would have said there is very little pressure on us."

Asked if it was a good time to take on the champions, he continued: "It is, but you've got to be conscious of their quality.

"I wouldn't imagine too many of the side that played at Chelsea will play against us but by my reckoning that still left them with about 10 internationals when I was writing a possible team down.

"I think they will be strong, there will be players Sir Alex will want to give a game to and he'll want to beat us so we've got to be prepared to face what could well be a star-studded line-up."

Although Southgate and Sir Alex have had the odd touchline confrontation during recent matches between the side, the Boro boss is still a huge admirer of the long-serving United manager.

He said: "Sir Alex is obviously the person all other managers look up to for what he's achieved and his continued hunger to keep achieving, his phenomenal drive about him as a person.

"He'll be logical about the position they're in at the moment but wanting them to win matches and he'll want to start against us."

While United have made a poor start by their high standards, the jury is out on Boro's early-season form.

Home wins over Tottenham and Stoke in the Premier League and a 5-1 Carling Cup thrashing of Yeovil have been offset against away defeats at Liverpool, Portsmouth and, most recently, Sunderland.

Southgate insists his side are close to clicking but will be disappointed that the injuries are limiting his options.

Egyptian striker Mido pulled out of Saturday's derby with the Black Cats due to a groin strain and will not feature against United, while pace threats Adam Johnson (ankle) and Jeremie Aliadiere require fitness tests.

With Tuncay Sanli (knee ligament) out for at least another month, Southgate manager may be forced once again to play his main creative element Stewart Downing as a support striker.

The England wideman missed a crucial penalty at the Stadium of Light - his second failure this season - and has not been at his best generally, but Southgate expects him to hit his stride sooner rather than later.

Praising the 24-year-old Teessider, Southgate said: "Stewart's a very resilient boy and I know he was grateful for the reaction of the fans immediately after.

"Within football you get some great lessons in life dealing with disappointment.

"When you play at a level Stewart does, the problems that are thrown at you and the things you have to deal with are that much greater.

"Good players put themselves into situations where the rewards are there if you're the hero, but the rewards can be massive if things go your way.

"You have to keep putting yourself up there

Guest jameslhm

Manucho poised for United debut

Angola striker Manucho is in line to make his Manchester United debut in Tuesday night's Carling Cup clash with Middlesbrough at Old Trafford.The African spent the latter half of last season on loan in Greece with Panathinaikos but has now received his work permit and recovered from a broken metatarsal, so should start against Gareth Southgate's men.

Anderson and Nani are also expected to be in Sir Alex Ferguson's 20-man squad, while Gary Neville should also get some more match practice, with Cristiano Ronaldo once again expected to be on the bench as he continues to search for top form after his recent ankle operation.

United (from): Kuszczak, Amos, Neville, F Da Silva, R Da Silva, O'Shea, Evans, Gray, Chester, Eckersley, Hargreaves, Ronaldo, Anderson, Nani, Gibson, Hewson, Possebon, Cleverley, Welbeck, Manucho

Guest jameslhm

Manucho granted United work permit

Manchester United have added a striker to their squad for the second time this week after confirming Manucho as part of their first-team party.The highly-rated Angola international signed a three-year deal with the Red Devils late last year after impressing Sir Alex Ferguson during a trial spell.

Manucho was initially rejected a work permit and was sent to Greek giants Panathinaikos on loan.

Now after looking through work-permit regulations, United chief executive David Gill has revealed the player has now automatically qualified for one.

"We couldn't get a work permit for him straight away, but when we looked at the rules and regulations we found that he actually qualified for one automatically. We're delighted to have him," Gill told MUTV.

"He's 25 and has got a lot of great attributes.

"You only need to look at the goals he scored at the African Nations Cup to see that and I think he brings something different to the team.

"He's got a little injury at the moment, but we're looking forward to him getting fit and showing us what he can do. He's a great prospect."

Guest jameslhm

The Reds may have started the season slowly but United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists top form is just around the corner.

United’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday leaves the Reds with just five points after four games. But there’s no need to panic, according to the manager.

“We’ve had a tough start,” Sir Alex told Sky Sports. “We’ve had to go away to Anfield – and we threw that game away in terms of the goals we conceded – and now we’ve had to come to Stamford Bridge.

“We’ve also been away to Portsmouth, which is a fixture a lot of teams will find difficult, just as we have down the years. So it’s been tough.

“It’s difficult to say where this 1-1 result places us but what I do know is that come October we’ll be fine.

“The players will have plenty of minutes on the clock, the level of our game will go up, Ronaldo and Berbatov will have games behind them... you’ll see us at our best then.”

The manager was also quick to point out that although United linger in the bottom half of the Barclays Premier League, the Reds have played one less game than most of their opponents.

“The press worked themselves into a fever over the weekend about the possibility of Chelsea going nine points clear. Of course, you have to remember we have a game in hand, which is important.”

Watch out all teams this is when we conquer................... :2guns: :2guns

Guest jameslhm

It was almost as if Cristiano Ronaldo had never been away as he marked his return to Manchester United's starting line-up with a goal.

Exactly 125 days after the final one of his 42 last season, Ronaldo converted his first of this one.

A Carling Cup tie with Middlesbrough may be somewhat less enthralling than a Champions League final at the Luzhniki Stadium but the headers were eerily similar, marking the end of a turbulent summer for Ronaldo and providing confirmation he intends to be a major player for United again this season - despite his stated desire to join Real Madrid.

It was veteran Ryan Giggs who got United's deserved winner though, chipping home after Adam Johnson had blasted Boro level, before Nani struck a third in stoppage-time.

But there was a sour taste as well as Boro skipper Emanuel Pogatetz was dismissed for a tackle on Rodrigo Possebon which saw the 19-year-old Brazilian require lengthy treatment before eventually being carried from the field.

It was an awful end to an impressive evening for Possebon, the brightest of a gifted crop of youngsters for the Red Devils.

Given the events at Manchester City in the last couple of weeks, the emphasis on finding young talent has taken on even more significance for United, who are no longer the biggest spenders in the city, never mind the country.

Sir Alex Ferguson has traditionally tended to use the League Cup as a proving ground but all too often in recent years it has signalled the end of first-team dreams rather than the start.

However, 12 months on from a dreadful home loss to Coventry, this crop of Red Devils youngsters showed they were up to the task.

Injury ruled out Fabio Da Silva but brother Rafael and fellow Brazilian Rodrigo Possebon are stars of the future on this showing.

Indeed, Possebon was so impressive in the centre of midfield against opponents who so often cause United problems that Ferguson might have a job holding him back - assuming his injury is not serious.

And in Danny Welbeck the Old Trafford outfit have a local-born striker worthy of the praise he has been showered with on England Under-19 duty.

At 21 and 20 respectively, Nani and Anderson are not that much older but with significantly more experience, it was no surprise the pair took on more responsibility.

Nani appeared to be on a one-man mission to score, only to find Boro's own talented youngster, David Wheater, in top form, along with Brad Jones, who made a series of excellent saves.

Neither Wheater nor Jones could do anything about Ronaldo's header though, the prospective world footballer of the year racing away to celebrate what he hopes will be the end of the most turbulent period in his career.

Gareth Southgate lifted this trophy in 2004, the only time Boro have won a major trophy, but he must have been sadly disappointed with his side's first half showing.

Afonso Alves threatened early on and Stewart Downing got into some good positions but the Teessiders never threatened rookie keeper Ben Amos, propelled into Ferguson's side due to injury.

But if the England Youth international had allowed himself a slight smile of satisfaction during the interval, Amos received a rude awakening 12 minutes after the restart as Johnson lashed Boro level.

There appeared little danger as Nemanja Vidic nodded Downing's cross out of the area but Johnson caught his first-time volley perfectly, giving Amos little chance of keeping it out.

At that point, a well-contested game was in the balance but soon came the twist which saw Pogatetz sent from the field.

The Boro captain got to the ball just in front of Possebon as the pair went for it in fully committed fashion.

But Pogatetz's dangerous follow-through cut Possebon down, a nasty gash instantly appearing on the Brazilian's right leg as he yelled in agony.

It took the United medical staff five minutes to treat the Brazilian and substantially less for referee Andre Marriner to show Pogatetz the red card.

With a man advantage, United were given another advantage 11 minutes from time when O'Neil stood on the ball attempting to control Gibson's long pass, enabling Giggs to advance and calmly chip past Jones.

Nani wrapped up the win in stoppage-time, although Boro were a spent force by then.

Guest jameslhm

PARK Ji Sung insists he still has 'a big future' at Manchester United.

The South Korean was devastated by Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to leave him out of not just his starting line-up but his entire squad when United beat Chelsea in the Champions League final last May.

With a knee injury following almost immediately, ruling the 27-year-old out of his country's Olympic Games campaign, Park could be forgiven for feeling cursed.

But the bargain buy from PSV Eindhoven is refusing to let his head drop.

And a couple of exceptional performances, including a goal-scoring contribution to United's battling draw at Chelsea on Sunday, have provided a perfect reminder of his ability.

'It has been a hard time for me,' said Park. 'I have to show my abilities so I don't suffer that experience again. This was a chance to do that and I need to take them because I still believe I have a big future at Manchester United.'

No matter how long Park remains at Old Trafford, he has already proved beyond question he is more than a glorified clothes horse.

While his popularity in Asia does benefit United's commercial department, Park's energy and drive is an equally obvious by-product of his presence.

Ferguson's decision to play Park on Sunday helped nullify the threat of Jose Bosingwa, a tactic that worked equally well on the other side of the field as Owen Hargreaves shut down Ashley Cole.

'I was quite pleased with my performance,' Park continued.

'My fitness is coming back now. I have been in the gym a lot and prepared as much as I can, so I am pretty much recovered.'