• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Manchester United FC Daily News Thread

keltanky

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jameslhm

all Devil fans not to be dishearted one defeat doesnt mean we lose the league we are still the CHAMP OF ENGLAND & EUROPE!!!!!!!!!! >:D >:D >:D:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

Guest jameslhm

Carlos Tevez admits he would love to sign a long-term contract at Manchester United.

The Argentina international is technically still on loan at the Red Devils, with that agreement set to reach a conclusion at the end of the current campaign.

United are keen to sign the forward on a permanent basis, with a £30million transfer believed to have been discussed with the player's representatives.

Tevez has started the season in good form and is hoping his continued adaptation to life in England will be suitably rewarded.

"From the first moment I came here I would have loved to sign a long-term contract," he said.

"Last year was a very happy season and it would be wonderful if the chairman put a long-term contract in front of me.

"If he did that I would sign it without a doubt."

Guest jameslhm

Michael Carrick is out for four to six weeks after breaking a bone in his foot in Manchester United's 2-1 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday.

The England international limped off at halftime in the Premier league clash after a tackle with Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun, and was sent immediately for an X-ray.

Initial reports from Old Trafford suggested the injury was purely muscular, but a subsequent check-up discovered a break in his right foot.

Carrick is now out of United's Champions League opener against Villarreal, along with their Premier League showdown with Chelsea at the weekend.

The 28-year-old is also set to miss England's World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus in October.

Guest jameslhm

Carrick blow, but Ronny returns Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo will play some part in Wednesday's Champions League clash with Villarreal, but Michael Carrick is definitely out and Dimitar Berbatov is a doubt for the Group E tie.

Ronaldo's rapid recovery from ankle surgery will see him involved in the squad for the first time this season, with the winger likely to be handed a spot on the bench.

“Cristiano will certainly be involved,” Sir Alex said at his pre-match press conference. “Whether we start him or not, irrespective of other players’ injuries, is still a major decision. I think it’s more likely that he will start on the bench."

The diagnosis of Carrick's injury is less favourable. A medical examination on Sunday showed the midfielder suffered a small crack in his right foot whilst going in for a tackle at Anfield. He could now miss up to six weeks of football.

“Michael's injury hasn't turned out well for us," confirmed Sir Alex. "He’ll be out for four to six weeks, which isn't good news. We have some other injury concerns ahead of the Villarreal game. Berbatov is very doubtful. He got a knee injury on Saturday. He came off for treatment and then played on, but there has been some swelling. We’ll work hard on that, but we may not have enough time.

“There were one or two other bumps and bruises from Saturday. Wes Brown got a knee injury and Patrice Evra felt sick during the game, but they should both be OK."

Fortunately, Sir Alex feels that he has plenty of options to cope. "It’s an important game with it being the start of our Champions League campaign," he said. "We have some injuries but we have a strong squad so we should be all right in terms of putting out a good team."

Guest jameslhm

Terry free to face Man Utd after ban overturned

Chelsea players appeal to referee Mark Halsey after he sent off Chelsea's English defender John Terry

LONDON: Chelsea captain John Terry will be able to play against Premier League champions Manchester United this Sunday after the red card he received during last weekend's league win over Manchester City was overturned here on Tuesday.

"At an independent regulatory omission hearing today (Tuesday), a claim for wrongful dismissal from Chelsea's John Terry was upheld," an FA statement said.

"As a result of today's hearing, Terry's three match suspension has been withdrawn."

The England captain was given a straight red card during Chelsea's 3-1 victory by referee Mark Halsey for a professional foul on City's Jo but television replays appeared to show there were other covering defenders, notably Ricardo Carvalho, between the Brazilian and the goal.

Chelsea appealed on Monday and Terry is now free to face United, who beat the Blues in the Champions League final, as well as Stoke City and Aston Villa.

Guest jameslhm

Man Utd unlikely to lose their shirts as sponsor struggles

MANCHESTER, England: Manchester United are set to emerge unscathed even if shirt sponsors AIG (American International Group) follows US bank Lehman Brothers in going bust.

United have two years left on a club record four-year deal with the insurance giants worth 56.5 million pounds (100.57 million dollars).

However, on Monday AIG shares plummeted 61 percent to 4.76 dollars. In all, they have lost 93 percent of their value in a year.

United, one of the world's best-known football clubs, are the current English and European champions and, despite current worldwide financial problems caused by the 'credit crunch', at least one observer believes they remain an attractive proposition for potential backers.

"Shirt sponsorship values appear to be holding their own well in the Premier League and also in Germany," said Simon Chadwick, professor of sports business strategy at Coventry University, central England.

He added: "It may be an issue outside the Premier League but my view is that if Manchester United does have to find a new sponsor, they would almost certainly pay as much and quite probably more.

"United are currently European champions and Premier League champions, so they could not be in a better position.

"The issue for United would be finding the right sponsor with a global operation as a partner, to give the club global coverage, something AIG does perfectly at the moment."

Chadwick added United's Premier League rivals West Ham would not take long to recover from the collapse of their shirt sponsor XL Holidays, which went out of business last week just a year into a three-year deal with the London club worth 7.5 million pounds (13.35 million dollars).

"There will be some initial cost to West Ham as they have to find a new sponsor but in my view they are likely to find a partner who will pay as much," he said.

Guest jameslhm

LONDON - MANCHESTER United manager Alex Ferguson has reacted angrily to the FA's decision on Tuesday to overturn the red card Chelsea's John Terry was shown in the Premier League game at Manchester City on Saturday.

England captain Terry will now be available for Sunday's league clash against champions Manchester United at Stamford Bridge after winning his appeal against the sending off.

Referee Mark Halsey dismissed Terry for serious foul play after he grabbed City striker Jo in Chelsea's 3-1 win but an independent FA regulatory commission overturned the decision.

Ferguson was quoted in Wednesday's British newspapers as saying Keith Hackett, general manager of the Professional Game Match officials board, had overruled Halsey thereby saving Terry from a three-match ban starting with the United game.

'As I understand it Hackett told Mark Halsey to rescind the red card and he wouldn't do it,' said Ferguson. 'I understand Halsey is being made to referee in the second division this weekend. I just don't understand how this could have happened.

'If it had been Manchester United, Hackett would not have done this. In future, if referees are seen to make mistakes then this (demotion) is going to have to happen all the time.'

A PGMO spokesman said Hackett had played no part in the appeals process, adding: 'All matters of discipline are an issue for the FA and them alone'.

The decision to show Terry a straight red seemed harsh as there were other covering defenders, though Halsey's insistence it was for serious foul play appeared to weaken Terry's case

Guest jameslhm

Ronaldo's United return boosts Tevez

Manchester United's Carlos Tevez feels having Cristiano Ronaldo back is like gaining an extra player ahead of Wednesday's visit of Villarreal.Ronaldo is set for a place on the substitutes' bench for the Champions League Group E opener at Old Trafford, barely two months after ankle surgery which Sir Alex Ferguson felt might keep him on the sidelines until October.

With Michael Carrick ruled out for up to six weeks with a broken foot and Dimitar Berbatov a major doubt after picking up a knee injury at Liverpool at the weekend, Ronaldo's return could not be better timed, particularly as Chelsea will have John Terry available for Sunday's Premier League blockbuster at Stamford Bridge after a successful appeal against his red card received at Manchester City.

"Cristiano is a massive player for us and it's great to have him on our side," said Tevez.

"It's like having an extra player when he's there because he's such a danger to our opponents.

"It will be a big boost to have him back."

With Ronaldo absent and Wayne Rooney's best performance of the season coming in an England shirt, Tevez has been United's most obvious attacking threat so far.

The Argentina forward scored the Red Devils' early goal at Liverpool on Saturday, so it is little wonder Ferguson wants to tie up a £30million deal for Tevez, who confirmed he would happily accept.

"From the first moment I came here, I would have loved to sign a long-term contract," he said.

"Last year was a very happy season and it would be wonderful if the chairman put a long-term contract in front of me.

"If he did that, I would sign it without a doubt."

Tevez is confident there will be no repeat of the lamentable performance from the European champions at Liverpool, which drew such stinging criticism from Ferguson.

The Scot claimed United's defending was no better than non-league standard and something no-one at Old Trafford expected to see again.

"Whenever we lost a game last season, we came back and showed ourselves to be stronger," said Tevez.

"That was the reason we won two titles last year. I'm sure we'll see a reaction from the players tonight."

Having gained his second Champions League success in Moscow last May, Ferguson knows he will equal Bob Paisley's record of three triumphs in European football's most prestigious competition if United can become the first team to successfully defend the trophy since the Champions League format was introduced in 1992.

However, of more interest to the Scot is taking United's overall tally to four, moving them alongside European giants Bayern Munich and Ajax and just one adrift of Liverpool.

"Personal goals do not come into it at all," said Ferguson.

"But I've said often enough that we should have won the European Cup more often and I hope we can win it again.

"That would take us to four and would be a far more acceptable record in Europe.

"That is the challenge and would create a bit more history for our club."

Guest jameslhm

Ronaldo may return for Champions League defence

Manchester United begin their defence of the Champions League on Wednesday and could welcome back Cristiano Ronaldo for the visit of Villarreal.

Alex Ferguson's side have begun the season slowly and will be eager to make up for Saturday's 2-1 defeat at arch-rivals Liverpool in the Premier League.

Ronaldo, who has not played since last season's Champions League final against Chelsea in Moscow, is expected to return for the Group E opener after ankle surgery.

Real Madrid face unfamiliar opponents in Group H when they begin their European campaign at home to BATE Borisov, the first Belarussian team to play in the Champions League.

In the same group Juventus face a tough start when they welcome UEFA Cup winners Zenit St Petersburg.

In Group G Arsenal visit Dynamo Kiev in their 100th Champions League match while Porto host Turkish club Fenerbahce.

Bayern Munich return to the Champions League after missing out last season and face a trip to Steaua Bucharest.

Guest jameslhm

Premier League - Parker: Berbatov not new Eric

Former Manchester United defender Paul Parker warns against billing Dimitar Berbatov as the new Eric Cantona.

"Moody, temperamental, enigmatic, brilliant. The comparisons between Berbatov and Cantona are easy to make. But there are just as many differences as similarities.

Cantona arrived at Old Trafford over 15 years ago, during a different era of football and it is always going to be difficult to compare players who played such a long time apart due to the ever-changing nature of the game.

And while the mercurial Frenchman arrived at an underachieving club that had not won a league title for 26 years, Berbatov signed for an outfit that has dominated the Premier League ever since Cantona provided that initial spark to win the first of 10 titles back in 1992-93.

As players too, they are different. Berbatov is more of a traditional centre forward than Cantona was and while they are both good in the air, Berbatov likes to run with the ball more.

True, both are capable of delivering moments of magic that can decide matches in the blink of an eye, but to expect Berbatov to have the same impact as Eric did 16 years ago is unfair.

That thinking will only serve to heap even more pressure on the Bulgarian who, having finally completed his dream move to Old Trafford, surely now just wants to prove himself.

I believe that being labelled as the new Eric will only hamper his progress - as it does when any player is compared to a former great.

But if he does choose to dwell on the obvious similarities for a minute, Berbatov will find he can learn a great deal from Cantona.

Like Cantona, people have pointed to the Berbatov's surly temperament as a potential stumbling block to succeeding at United. But like the Frenchman, Berbatov has the capability to turn things round at United.

Before he arrived at Old Trafford, Cantona had a reputation for being a 'difficult' character. He had had his fair share of run-ins with his previous managers but he never once got on the wrong side of Alex Ferguson.

Berbatov's surliness and regular languid displays could put him in that same 'difficult' bracket, but like Cantona, the Bulgarian can shed that image at Old Trafford.

As a club, United have the ability to instil the desire to work hard and behave well. I believe that Berbatov will succeed in doing just that under Ferguson.

He's a very good player who will only get better at United."

Guest jameslhm

Deco Eyes United Revenge

Deco has warned Manchester United that Chelsea are looking to make amends for their Champions League final defeat.

The Blues will renew their rivalry with United in the Premier League on Sunday after losing to Sir Alex Ferguson's men on penalties in May.

Deco only moved to Stamford Bridge from Barcelona over the summer but he realises what it would mean for Chelsea to gain revenge.

The Portugal international, who has enjoyed an excellent start to his career in England, also believes that victory for Chelsea would put a huge dent in United's title hopes.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's side lead United by six points, although they have played an extra game, and Deco understands the importance of building an even greater advantage.

"This is more than three points. Victory on Sunday will have double value," Deco said in the Daily Star.

"It will provide a huge gap between us and United. It will give United a message that we are ready to challenge.

"I am only too aware of the defeat in Moscow and what it meant to my team-mates.

"I have been waiting for this game since I arrived at Chelsea and against United it will be a test of strength."

Cristiano Ronaldo is likely to play for United after returning from injury but Deco is not concerned by the threat his Portugal team-mate will pose.

"We are not obsessed by him," Deco insisted. "He is just one player and we are strong enough to deal with him."