• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Caught using the mobile while driving ............. my experience

gerries

Dear everyone,

I would like to share my experience six months ago, which led me NEVER TO USE a mobile while driving.

One evening, while driving on a small road towards highway, my mobile rang, and I answered "Cannot Talk Driving Now", suddenly a Subaru drove passed me and demanded me to stop at the nearest bus-stop.

Two officers approached me, and asked me to handover my phone. They recalled the last incoming number and recorded down. I apologised, but nothing helps; they took out my SIM card and seized my phone and recorded the IMEI and model, thereafter issued me a summon. They told me that a case officer would contact me in few weeks.

What follows ... was sleepless nights! As I know the offence was serious.

See below from the Traffic Police website.

Use of mobile telephone whilst driving.

The offenders may be prosecuted in court and disqualified from driving. The offender's handphone and SIM card may also be seized to facilitate investigation. These may be forfeited by the court upon conviction.

Court Penalties:

1st time offender- Fine not exceeding $1000.00 or jail sentence of up to 6 months or both.

2nd or subsequent conviction- Fine not exceeding $2000.00 or jail sentence of up to 12 months or both.

4 weeks later, I received letter requesting me to go to the Traffic Police Headquarter at Ubi to meet an officer, 2 weeks later.

At the headquarter, I was counselled one-to-one with a senior officer, who told me how serious the offense. After half hour, he led me to a large room to collect my phone. What surprised me was, the entire room was filled with phones on the shelves, each has been tagged.

My advice to everyone, don't deny the charges, as the fine will closer to those stated above. I lost 12 demerit points through this incident.

Last week, I got 6 points from speeding on a 80 km/h PIE section (7.45 am Sunday morning). I was driving 95 km/h, different sections of PIE has different limit.

I am now so nervous driving each day, as I know my days of driving could be numbered. Another 6 months points and I am out driving! I need to take MRT haha!

Deeply regretted my actions.

Good thing cars now come with Bluetooth connection with mobile.

Last time Audio 20 has phone button but no phone connection or BT.

Contact CnC said they cannot retrofit!:)

Best make it a habit to turn on the BT before driving off!

Dun wait until U get a call and wanting to turn on your BT.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

I kenna before.

First timer usually 200 bucks.

12 Points.

I know cos I kenna before also.

My TP damn arrogant.

No way to bargain or ask for give chance.

So i just bit the bullet and hope for the best.

Few days later on the EPC website, saw the fine and punishment.

Glad it was only a 200 bucks fine.

Anyway that was with old car with no blue tooth.

Now with my Mercs, i know they will never catch me again!!

Shane

Last week, I got 6 points from speeding on a 80 km/h PIE section (7.45 am Sunday morning). I was driving 95 km/h, different sections of PIE has different limit.

You got 6 demerit points for exceeding by 15km/h? Based on the TP website, that's for exceeding speed limit by 20-30km/h. http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/services/driving_in_singapore/information_dips_offences.htm

I use the PIE often on weekends (Simei-Jurong, Jurong-Simei), I do find it hard to stick to 80km/h speed limit when the coast is clear. They should review the speed limits at those sections.

ANything above 10km/h is an offence... but normally you are still safe.. but 20km/h and above... you are living on the officer's mood... 30km/h... HA HA HA... he'll tell u... bye bye to your points... minimum 6 points and $200 fine... 40km/h... He'll tell you in a macho tone... SEE U IN COURT.... AND REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR EASILINK CARD also...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

I rarely go above 20km/h, that's why I get a shock when gerries said he kena such a hefty one for above 15km/h...

I was damn guai on PIE tonight, even kena high beamed.... :growl:

If U have a "clean record" >10km/hr < 20km/hr more likely U get a warning letter to remind U they gip U a chance & dun do it again too soon.

2 years back I was warned for 75km/hr in a 60 km/hr in Upper Changi Rd.

I was in a rush to go back home to get my medical appt card cos I forgotten till I was at Changi Hospital.

Last Nov was caught for >25 on 90 zone heading to Tuas Check Point.

Kena 6 or 9 points - last demerit for Unker was > 20 yrs ago. :(

Cheers

Last Nov was caught for >25 on 90 zone heading to Tuas Check Point.

Kena 6 or 9 points - last demerit for Unker was > 20 yrs ago. :(

Late for B'fast run....don't want to branja the kakis is it??

• Like 1

Was not the last breakfast run lah!

This one on my own to eat Kiang Kee BKT! :)

Cheers

Unker, very expensive BKT, fine + demerit points

Just one word "Remorse!"

Broke my >20 years clean driving record.

Could have choke on the BKT! :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...