• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Horrible Gaps

Philip Chan

U mean when the door is close there is a gap?? Front or rear door? Cant figure out from your pictures.

Yes I noticed that during my test drive its on the front doors is very obvious not sure about the back door

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Sorry everybody.  I took those pictures with my iPhone and I didn't realised they turned out upside down.  My apology.

All four doors but the ones in front are visually worse off.

It may be an entry level Mercedes but there is no reason why they have designed a big gap alongside each door.  Is it a poor design-issue or perhaps the designer wanted this way?  Or more likely the door panels were manufactured short of the few cm and Mercedes just went ahead and assemble the cars anyway!

Agree, however a gap like this is (clearly visible) is unacceptable. 'The best or nothing'?

We paid so much for a car in Singapore it's normal to expect to be perfect. But put another glasses actually we didn't pay the car that much but we paid G-man so much moolah just to own car. Bulk of the $$$ is not going for the car quality or spec but go somewhere else. So that's why sometime I am angry if I caught in the jam, especially with so many freaking development now and bad patchy jobs after digging here and there......

• Like 1

I do believe these gaps are there for a specific reason... What I don't know... But I suspect it's to prevent to door from jamming up if there is an accident... But looking at the foto from my pc.... the gaps are minimal cos the rubber lining went offline in 2 of them..... maybe I'm just plain bochup... cos I think my ride oso has them....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Bro look closely the gap is there only on the top of the door. when u look down the gap slowly disappear

I do not know if this happens to all coupe or only CLA.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Cater for physical door expansion due to high heat in Singapore. Its a lame joke from me.

I will be somehow dissapointed if my car has such.

Buying a Giordano Tshirt vs Armani....i expect my Giordano tshirt to be sawn properly too....UNLESS they can reason it out why the fitment as such.

Probably this is why foreign car magazines kept emphasising that this is an entry level merc, and there are complains in their articles, that the fitting is not up to par of the 3 pointed star. However, ride wise is still a merc.

The point is not really whether is an entry-level Mercedes.

If I buy a Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci wallet, surely I don't expect the cutting to be less than perfect.

Unless Mercedes Benz can think of a technical reason why they had to design variable gaps along all four doors.

Even LV... Gucci ... Prada all have defects... that's why you have the outlet shops...... and ppl still buys them.... so it's just depends on what's your tolerance to minor minor minor defects.....  Not saying your ride is lousy cos mine has these "problems" too... just that it's not one to me....

• Like 2

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Agree with Ah Bui, and I'm gonna highlight "entry level" again. To share my own experience, I bought a crystal necklace from a high end boutique (C****L) way back. After sometime, the crystals started to drop. Had to go back for repairs a few times. In the end to make my story short, I realized that if I had gotten the same design but diamond necklace, I won't have encountered such problems. Similar "entry level" product stories can be heard from all over. If you're familiar with the high end boutiques mentioned, the leather quality and materials used for their premium range of products is so much more exquisite compared to their "entry level" range. Some "entry level" product don't even come in leather! There is still a difference in quality, it doesn't automatically mean that once you purchase something "branded" it'll automatically be luxuriously flawless.

I'm not here to defend anyone, I guess in my opinion, one shouldn't look at everything through a magnifying glass. Even the S Class will be flawed. My C Class has a door gap (which I didn't even notice till I saw this thread). Why should Mercedes put the quality of an S Class for example into their lower range cars? Premium luxury is only reserved for premium products! SG car prices is very high but it's not the fault of the manufacturer. Prices we're paying here does not even closely reflect the actual value of the car deemed by the manufacturer. Manufacturers know that if they want to capture maximum market share, they have to manufacture products for every segment. As for the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. this includes "entry level" cars. Unfortunately, there is a fine line balancing between premium & "entry level" for these established brands.

Bottom line, dealers here offer test drives and countless car viewings till you're ready to sign on the dotted line. Once you signed, I guess it means you agree to purchase the car as shown and displayed to you.

• Like 3

Even my S class do have many issue. There is no perfect car and my S class is not full leather as well.

Agree with Ah Bui, and I'm gonna highlight "entry level" again. To share my own experience, I bought a crystal necklace from a high end boutique (C****L) way back. After sometime, the crystals started to drop. Had to go back for repairs a few times. In the end to make my story short, I realized that if I had gotten the same design but diamond necklace, I won't have encountered such problems. Similar "entry level" product stories can be heard from all over. If you're familiar with the high end boutiques mentioned, the leather quality and materials used for their premium range of products is so much more exquisite compared to their "entry level" range. Some "entry level" product don't even come in leather! There is still a difference in quality, it doesn't automatically mean that once you purchase something "branded" it'll automatically be luxuriously flawless.

I'm not here to defend anyone, I guess in my opinion, one shouldn't look at everything through a magnifying glass. Even the S Class will be flawed. My C Class has a door gap (which I didn't even notice till I saw this thread). Why should Mercedes put the quality of an S Class for example into their lower range cars? Premium luxury is only reserved for premium products! SG car prices is very high but it's not the fault of the manufacturer. Prices we're paying here does not even closely reflect the actual value of the car deemed by the manufacturer. Manufacturers know that if they want to capture maximum market share, they have to manufacture products for every segment. As for the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. this includes "entry level" cars. Unfortunately, there is a fine line balancing between premium & "entry level" for these established brands.

Bottom line, dealers here offer test drives and countless car viewings till you're ready to sign on the dotted line. Once you signed, I guess it means you agree to purchase the car as shown and displayed to you.