• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

About JBL MS-8

Guest rx8king

Of course it would be... but it would also be less fun. :)  MS-8 sounds so good for the $1k+...

I had the MS-8 on my previous W164 M Class!

Have fun with the MS-8!........ :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 1 month later...

Went to Wee Heng today to enquire about MS-8 and speakers but ended up more confused. Pls help.

I'm currently planning to change the front and rear components to two set of component with a 4-chan amp. All German maestro. Front SV6509 and rear CS6508. Both supported by an amp. Problem is, whether these would be "sufficiently" bassy. Adding a sub will need another amp and worse.. My boot space!! Any thoughts?

Btw won't be installing MS-8 as I was told that this will render Bluetooth hands free having echos...

I'm currently planning to change the front and rear components to two set of component with a 4-chan amp. All German maestro. Front SV6509 and rear CS6508. Both supported by an amp. Problem is, whether these would be "sufficiently" bassy. Adding a sub will need another amp and worse.. My boot space!! Any thoughts?

Btw won't be installing MS-8 as I was told that this will render Bluetooth hands free having echos...

Bass is very subjective.. If you need loud and low of cos you do need a big sub say 12 inches with mono block.. all this mean the boot space will be taken.

So far I using MS-8 and always on bluetooth; no problem. 

IMHO,

Run the front components in active by using a 4 channel amp - dun use the component passive x-overs.

Let the MS-8 take care of the x-overs.

Use a monblock for the sub.

10" sub "cannot go as low as a 12" sub especially <30Hz.

There are 12: sub that will takes about 1 cu.ft of space. (Probably you can managed that)

If you do not want 2 amps i.e a 4 channel amp + a monoblock, you might want to consider a 6 channel amp.

4 channels for the front mid woofers and tweeters and bi-amp the last 2 channel to run your sub.

Ah Boon should know what to do if not ask him to see me......hehehehe!!!!  :)

Cheers

Thanks Ody & Kepiting for your feedbacks.

Kepiting, I won't be installing the ms-8 since I was told there's a risks of it disturbing Bluetooth. How true I'm not sure since Ody has no problems.

Since there's no ms-8, was thinking:

Opt 1: to have the 4-channel powering two sets of component w x-overs and a monoblk for the 10"

Opt 2: to have 4-ch powering front component w x-over and the 10" sub only. Rear components w x-overs will be by hu.

Foresee any probs with any of the options? Any suggestions without the ms-8?

Cheers!

Thanks Ody & Kepiting for your feedbacks.

Kepiting, I won't be installing the ms-8 since I was told there's a risks of it disturbing Bluetooth. How true I'm not sure since Ody has no problems.

Since there's no ms-8, was thinking:

Opt 1: to have the 4-channel powering two sets of component w x-overs and a monoblk for the 10"

Opt 2: to have 4-ch powering front component w x-over and the 10" sub only. Rear components w x-overs will be by hu.

Foresee any probs with any of the options? Any suggestions without the ms-8?

Cheers!

If you are installing a sub and for better sound staging, do not use any rear component speakers or the stock rear speakers.

If you are not going to use the MS-8 or any other sound processor, you need amps with high signal input.

IMHO,

MB though providing "cheap speakers" by had already designed in quite a "balanced system" with it.

Any changes by changing speakers might sound good or might not as x-over points & speakers specifications have been changed.

I have used the MS-8 before inmy previous MB ride, no echo for BT but not my "taste".

For me if I want a better sounding ICE,I will need to spend and revamp the whole sound system i.e throw out the MB system and rig up my own.

Just like home audio a pair of speakers infront of you and nothing else unless your speakers can not go for the lower Hz (like my home Electrostatic Panel Speakers), then you need a sub.

It will be a good sound processor with Time Alignment capability (at home we can sit in the centre for the sweet spot whereas in the car you are sitting on the right)

Amps to run a 2 or 3 way front system with a 12" sub in the rear.

You don't need rear speakers unless you want a home theatre system!

Finally you need to get a tuner with a good pair of ears.

All this takes time and $$$.

This is why I prefer not to do anything to my stock system :)

Cheers

"Opt 2: to have 4-ch powering front component w x-over and the 10" sub only. Rear components w x-overs will be by hu."

hmm ... a 4 ch to support front passive ok but back 10" sub you intend to bridge the 2 ch ? unlikely you will get good bass effect from the 2 ch bridge unless that 4 ch amp is high power rating ..

hmm... ok .. MS-8 can control front stage active and back stage passive 2 way with sub control  .. am impressed with MS-8. 

(but i wonder how tuning is done for the sound level for the rear 4 ch, one being driven passive and the other bridge mono ? via ms8 or gain knob at the amp ?)

regards

• 2 months later...

Need some advice from the ice gurus. 

What is the W204 stock speaker size at the front door side mirror position? Will it fit a 3" midrange?

I'm considering running active 3 way in the stock speaker position, so that i can keep the stock look and save on customizing the pillar.

TIA  :D

Need some advice from the ice gurus. 

What is the W204 stock speaker size at the front door side mirror position? Will it fit a 3" midrange?

I'm considering running active 3 way in the stock speaker position, so that i can keep the stock look and save on customizing the pillar.

It's for the tweeter!

imho for 3" mid range you probably has to make a speaker pod for it!

Cheers

feels like i'm hijacking this thread... another question.

Is there a stock mid range speaker in the standard system?

My understanding is that the standard system consist of following drivers. Right?

center tweeter

2 x front door tweeter

2 x front door mid bass

2 x rear door mid bass

2 x rear

IIRC

No Center tweeter

No 3" Mid range

Cheers