• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W212 suspension problem - common fault?

Guest Mr. M

Guest Mr. M

Hey guys!

I'm back for another problem with the E250 - so it seems Mercedes hasn't ironed out the problems yet with its latest model!

Just only weeks after we took delivery of the E last year I noticed a slight 'gurgle' noise from the suspension. I brushed it off and thought it's just some minor thing that would go away after a while. I even asked my dad to hear it and he said he didn't notice it.

A few months on, it's my dad turn to tell me that he could hear the sound as well, especially on bumpy roads at low speed. It's as if the front right suspension is loose... It can take the road just fine, the damping feels solid - but the suspension feels loose and needs tightening.

I thought it's an easy fix so we headed to MBM to get it checked. I was surprised to hear that the suspension needs replacing (the front right one), when the car is only barely a year old! And we did no more than 15k in mileage.

They also said it's a common fault among the W212s and we're not the first to encounter this. So is anyone else on SGMerc suffering from this issue?

We're now waiting for a warranty claim to be processed by TWM... Which is probably going to take ages!

I must say, we're quite disappointed with MB that this problem has surfaced, knowing that suspensions have always been MB's achilles's heel.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mark_twain88

My W212 E250 has just clocked in 15k mileage. No problem with suspension.

How does it sound like with yours? Is it a squeaking sound? Does it happen at slow speed and high speed?

Mark_twain88 wrote:

How does it sound like with yours? Is it a squeaking sound? Does it happen at slow speed and high speed?

My w212 is 5 months old . I'm irritated by a noise while I'm on low speed . But it's not all the time . That's another problem cos whenever I wanted the mechanic to listen to that noise , it always behaves well and kept quiet . It sounds like a helicopter from far away . This noise came from the under carriage . I'm due for my 10k servicing in abt 2 days time . If I'm able to find out what is the problem then I'll up date more .

Hi,

i have similar sound but only when i make cornering or reverse. I suspect the auto-trans pump has a problem. Sending my ride for service soon, so i guess will have it check. Mine's 1 year old.

6008 wrote:

My w212 is 5 months old . I'm irritated by a noise while I'm on low speed . But it's not all the time . That's another problem cos whenever I wanted the mechanic to listen to that noise , it always behaves well and kept quiet . It sounds like a helicopter from far away . This noise came from the under carriage . I'm due for my 10k servicing in abt 2 days time . If I'm able to find out what is the problem then I'll up date more .

lkh wrote:

Hi,

i have similar sound but only when i make cornering or reverse. I suspect the auto-trans pump has a problem. Sending my ride for service soon, so i guess will have it check. Mine's 1 year old.

Sounds the same issue as mine . You and I should feel happy abt it . Paid the price of a W212 , free helicopter . Hahaha ....! Anyway will update after my servicing . Cheers !:becky:

Ok guys . My workshop told me it's the under carriage cover vibrates and knocking on some parts of the car that created the noise . He had settled it after some touching here and there . Let's see the results after a few days . Below pic is the part that he mentioned .

a37dc1d0.jpg

Guest blackknight

6008 wrote:

Ok guys . My workshop told me it's the under carriage cover vibrates and knocking on some parts of the car that created the noise . He had settled it after some touching here and there . Let's see the results after a few days . Below pic is the part that he mentioned .

a37dc1d0.jpg

bro 6008, your below damn swee leh....:becky:

Guest kepiting1sg

blackknight wrote:

Looks like he's quite happy after his below being touched here & there during the servicing job!

And he mentioned if he's not heppy after a few days, he wants to go back there and has his below to be touched here & there again!

Can understand not easy to satisfy him.....9...muhahaha! :lol:

blackknight wrote:

kepiting1sg wrote:

Looks like he's quite happy after his below being touched here & there during the servicing job!

And he mentioned if he's not heppy after a few days, he wants to go back there and has his below to be touched here & there again!

Can understand not easy to satisfy him.....9...muhahaha! :lol:

Hey guys ! Sure swee mah ! 9cm thingy leh . Mai siao siao hor ! Hahaha....

Guest kepiting1sg

6008 wrote:

Hey guys ! Sure swee mah ! 9cm thingy leh . Mai siao siao hor ! Hahaha....

On your pic of your below at 1 o'clock I see there's a long brace across.

Is that stock or U added that in?

kepiting1sg wrote:

That's FL W212 . You mean you don't know ? Hahaha.....

kepiting1sg wrote:

Oh that piece . It's all along there . Probably it's 2 exhaust .

Guest kepiting1sg

blackknight wrote:

the thing they used to "poke" seems longer than 9cm leh:bounce:

Looks like that hand belongs to Ah Heng!

Maybe gotto take lessons from him....muhahaha! :lol:

kepiting1sg wrote:

Looks like that hand belongs to Ah Heng!

Maybe gotto take lessons from him....muhahaha! :lol:

Bingo ! It was him . So far I didn't hear anymore noise after he molested my bottom leh . Seems like it works ! Kudos ! Anyone need him to molest your bottom ? Hehehe.....

Guest Mr. M

Mark_twain88 wrote:

Hi Mark,

It's not a squeak, more like a clong! It is only there in low to medium speeds when the road is uneven. If the road's smooth and well-paved then there's no noise and the suspension feels completely fine!

But when say, going over a hump, hitting a pothole, going over gravel etc - the noise will be there and it's quite annoying. Not quite a helicopter noise like 6008 mentioned... It's only focused on the front right, so I'm quite sure it's the front right suspension.

We can go direct to Khang's but they insist they can't hear anything!

Guest Turbocharged

I also have the same problem with my E250 cabriolet, only 1 month old. the gurgling sound seem to come from driver side front wheel area, over uneven roads. when speed is higher, sound is gone.

TWM acknowledged the sound and told me is absorber problem, claim need to order parts. its been awhile, very tiring to chase after them for updates, made worse by their lousy work attitude. becuz i have little to no technical knowledge when it comes to these, i also dunno whether they are telling the truth or know what they are doing.

Guest desmondtoo

Turbocharged wrote:

I also have the same problem with my E250 cabriolet, only 1 month old. the gurgling sound seem to come from driver side front wheel area, over uneven roads. when speed is higher, sound is gone.

TWM acknowledged the sound and told me is absorber problem, claim need to order parts. its been awhile, very tiring to chase after them for updates, made worse by their lousy work attitude. becuz i have little to no technical knowledge when it comes to these, i also dunno whether they are telling the truth or know what they are doing.

Hi Turbocharged, welcome in...:welcome: I'm oso riding a E-cabrio, no issue with that...:tongue:

Calling Bro Camber53, you might be able to advice on this...:director:

Guest Turbocharged

desmondtoo wrote:

Hi Turbocharged, welcome in...:welcome: I'm oso riding a E-cabrio, no issue with that...:tongue:

Calling Bro Camber53, you might be able to advice on this...:director:

Thanks bro, actually my family have another Eclass cabriolet at home, almost 2months old. but dont have similar issue. but have others.. lol. the passenger door lock keep acting like it has a mind on its own.