• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

e200 cgi saloon or e250 cgi saloon or wait e250 cgi 7g tronic..

Guest vincemerz

Guest kevin

Everyone, thanks for the consolation! :becky:

Maybe too much to ask but it would be better if these retailers were just upfront with what they are doing. If they had said that they are clearing stock at substantial discount on the 5 speeds because the 7 speeds are coming, I am sure they can still sell and at least there won't be unhappy customers......

Guest vincemerz

kevin wrote:

Everyone, thanks for the consolation! :becky:

Maybe too much to ask but it would be better if these retailers were just upfront with what they are doing. If they had said that they are clearing stock at substantial discount on the 5 speeds because the 7 speeds are coming, I am sure they can still sell and at least there won't be unhappy customers......

Agreed. But in the business world, we call it sales tactics. But in all fairness 202k for e200 Avantgarde is worth it la. Plus when u step in got the gear in the centre more cool la. So Hua Hee Dio Hor!

Enjoy! 5 speeder reliable la. MB use so many years Liao. Unless MB 7g come with dual clutch in E class then cry man. ;) enjoy!

Guest vincemerz

vincemerz wrote:

Agreed. But in the business world, we call it sales tactics. But in all fairness 202k for e200 Avantgarde is worth it la. Plus when u step in got the gear in the centre more cool la. So Hua Hee Dio Hor!

Enjoy! 5 speeder reliable la. MB use so many years Liao. Unless MB 7g come with dual clutch in E class then cry man. ;) enjoy!

Plus why upgrade 2 more gears and pay 18k more?!?

Now u buy 202k, save 18k can have 5 years of free Fuel!! Assuming 300 per mth petrol X 12mths X 5 years = 18,000!!!

Enjoy free fuel bro!!

Guest blackmercs

vincemerz wrote:

Err then how come u selling yr 5g?

vincemerz wrote:

I sell to buy 5 seater lo. Nothing yo do with 5g or 7g leh

Bro ! Congratulations ! As a brother of yours in sgmerc , I've decided to let you have the privilege . I'll take your 4 seater and you can have my 5 seater . I promise you that there will be no extra cost . Throw in 2 baby seats for you too . Hey ! What are brothers for man . How abt we do the exchange tmr ? :becky::becky::becky:

Ps : don't need to thank me . We are brothers right ? Hehehe.....

Guest blackmercs

6008 wrote:

Bro ! Congratulations ! As a brother of yours in sgmerc , I've decided to let you have the privilege . I'll take your 4 seater and you can have my 5 seater . I promise you that there will be no extra cost . Throw in 2 baby seats for you too . Hey ! What are brothers for man . How abt we do the exchange tmr ? :becky::becky::becky:

Ps : don't need to thank me . We are brothers right ? Hehehe.....

Damn!! I thought of the same offer but mine is a cheapo ride. U win liao lor, congras bro vincemerz. U got alot choices like swap engine with a cabro & a sedan of the same class.

Guest Welbo

kevin wrote:

1 month ago when I asked 3 different SEs they all said they do not know if and when the 7-speed was coming. Even now my SE says that they were only recently told.

I find it hard to believe but what to do?

Like apple088 it just feels painful to buy a "new" car and less than a month later find out that the 7-speed is just around the corner!

I would not feel so bad if it only came out 6 months later...

But the price you paid is also much lower than a customer who now wanted to buy the new 7G E-class. The 5 speeder is really not that bad and the 7 speed biggest advantage is fuel economy actually.

At the end of the day, if this really bug you then you shld consider topping up the $18k to have peace of mind. No one can make this decision for u as whatever we posted here is moot if you are unhappy.

There is always a better car around the corner, so be contented with what you have and not what you don't have.

Guest vincemerz

Welbo wrote:

But the price you paid is also much lower than a customer who now wanted to buy the new 7G E-class. The 5 speeder is really not that bad and the 7 speed biggest advantage is fuel economy actually.

At the end of the day, if this really bug you then you shld consider topping up the $18k to have peace of mind. No one can make this decision for u as whatever we posted here is moot if you are unhappy.

There is always a better car around the corner, so be contented with what you have and not what you don't have.

Bro Kevin, no matter how fuel economy the 7g is, it can never help you save 18k or give you 5 years free fuel! Cheers!

Guest kepiting1sg

vincemerz wrote:

Bro Kevin, no matter how fuel economy the 7g is, it can never help you save 18k or give you 5 years free fuel! Cheers!

IMHCCBO -

That $18k is not a standard cast in iron by CnC offer to Bro Kevin.

It's not the price difference between the new 7G & the old 5 spd.

U can go and check the current price of the 7 spd vs the old 5 spd.

I bet U my last dollar it's not $18k.

I believe it's more a "commercial/business decision/offer" by CnC.

If Kevin paid up the $18K which he's not likely to take up the offer as it's probably absurd to him to pay that kind of money.

Than CnC will not have Kevin "bugging" his SE about the change.

In the event if Kevin really pay up the $18K, Cnc will have no problem to sell off the 5 spd at a further discount cos they have the extra $18k from Kevin.

So dun please cum around and say the $18k is the price diff between the 5 spd & the 7 spd.

Dun put down the 7 spd as something inferior to the VAG D Clutch wet or dry.

The MB 7G tranny is well proven and has been around for such a long time on the higher capacity MB rides.

Bro welbo is right to say that there's always a better ride around the corner.

My buying of the ML with the knowledge that a totally new ML will be out in 1year time and from the series W164 becums W166.

I buy cos I IMO I think I've a good buy without remorse.

Kevin already mentioned that he got a very good deal on this 5 spd which is probably due to the arrival of the new 7 spd and CnC has to quickly clear their stock. Therefore it only make commercial sense to CnC if Kevin wants the new 7 spd he has to cough out "some money".

He still has the "choice" cos he has not taken delivery of his ride.

Rp 2 worth!!!!

Guest kepiting1sg

kevin wrote:

I have decided to stick with the 5 speed.

Unless they come back with a $10K offer then I will start pulling my hair out with indecision....! :bounce:

Find someone "who knows them better" than U, "pull the right string"

probably U can "bargain it down" if die die U want it! :whistle:

Guest blackknight

vincemerz wrote:

seems like you are moving to buy VW or Audi ar? Good luck :becky:

Guest kevin

kepiting1sg wrote:

IMHCCBO -

That $18k is not a standard cast in iron by CnC offer to Bro Kevin.

It's not the price difference between the new 7G & the old 5 spd.

U can go and check the current price of the 7 spd vs the old 5 spd.

I bet U my last dollar it's not $18k.

Better clear this up... the $18K was a firm offer from C&C.

Basically it is the difference between the price I am paying for the "heavily discounted" 5-speed event car and the price of buying a new 7G today (with a slight discount beyond their normal overtrade).

My SE need not even have offered this "trade up" as I had already signed the sales agreement. So I guess my SE and C&C did extend this offer out of good will.

BTW, I have found my SE to be extremely friendly and helpful throughout the sales process including doing his extra to accommodate all my extra demands for discounts...

Guest kepiting1sg

kevin wrote:

Better clear this up... the $18K was a firm offer from C&C.

Basically it is the difference between the price I am paying for the "heavily discounted" 5-speed event car and the price of buying a new 7G today (with a slight discount beyond their normal overtrade).

My SE need not even have offered this "trade up" as I had already signed the sales agreement. So I guess my SE and C&C did extend this offer out of good will.

BTW, I have found my SE to be extremely friendly and helpful throughout the sales process including doing his extra to accommodate all my extra demands for discounts...

Hi kevin,

Caught between a rock and a hard place.:becky:

I do believe and understand that U got a very "good discount" for your 5 spd.

I do "trust" CnC has a "fair pricing" for clearing their stock.

U are right about signing on the dotted line for the 5 spd.

U can ask some of the kakies here, some of the SE are as good as Media Corp stars......:censored:

End of the day, it's your own decision - no right or wrong!

Happy with the pricing for the 5 spd - then keep it!

Die Die wanna the 7 spd - go bargain till your throat need DSC00688.gif

Guest vincemerz

blackknight wrote:

seems like you are moving to buy VW or Audi ar? Good luck :becky:

Nope.

It's between the 523i and the e250 7g saloon.

Headache..

Guest kevin

vincemerz wrote:

Nope.

It's between the 523i and the e250 7g saloon.

Headache..

For me it would clearly be the e250 except maybe for aesthetics (sportier look, bigger LCD screen).

Test drove the 523i and actually found it less responsive than the e200/e250. I guess the 523i body is a bit heavy for the engine.

Guest pacman

vincemerz wrote:

or maybe s60 t5?

I think E class and 5 series a bit classier than S60 although the T5 should be a better drive. I would go for E250 being quicker than 523i.:becky:

Guest kevin

www888 wrote:

Other than the 7-speed auto transmission, are there other changes? E.g. read somewhere that it may come with bigger TFT screen etc.

I was told by my SE that there are no other changes for the E200 except for the 7-speed. Did not ask about the E250.

Guest Welbo

pacman wrote:

I think E class and 5 series a bit classier than S60 although the T5 should be a better drive. I would go for E250 being quicker than 523i.:becky:

More powerful yes but definitely not a better drive in terms of handling, steering feel etc as compared to either the 523i or E250. I just traded in my MTE-ed C70 T5 and the car really drive like a mini power-boat. Aftersales service by SM is fantastic but front wheel drive with a crazy turning radius and no feedback from the steering kill any joy of owning the car IMO.

Guest Welbo

kevin wrote:

For me it would clearly be the e250 except maybe for aesthetics (sportier look, bigger LCD screen).

Test drove the 523i and actually found it less responsive than the e200/e250. I guess the 523i body is a bit heavy for the engine.

The 523i if you spec the Sport Gear does not seem heavy to me. You just need the gearbox to learn your driving style and one amazing thing about most BMW gearboxes, they learn the driver style very quickly. If you always paddle to metal, this car will go pretty decently.

Once you activated the sport mode, the gear ratio will come down from 8 speeder to 6 speeder. Very intelligent gearbox and really 6, 7 or 8 speeder is meant for fuel efficiency and nothing else. For sport driving or track work, 5 speed is the ideal gear setup with the right width btw the gears ratio.