• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

SGMerc Driveaway

Guest angela

Guest jenvid

Cklasse ]

if is family trip or small group I agree we don' wrote:

Fully agree.

The mini club did a Malacca round trip recently. They split into groups of 5 with a leader in each group. In this way, only 4 cars need to catch up with 1 leader and all groups planned to meet at designated location along the way.

Anyway, a holiday is suppose to be easy going so that we can stop for coffee to smell the flowers, so a one night stop is a good way to relak.

ok ok... 1N lor...

Just that going to Malacca is like going to Orchard Rd for me... kekeke

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

Too early to cancel, lets put in the date and more details (just like what AA does in the magazine) and we shall see. By June, we will close this and go ahead with our bookings. In fact, I am thinking of doing a weekend holiday this month. ;D

Shall we fix a place now; Malacca or Genting and move on with details such as which hotel we want to stay, short itinerary highlighting the activities. We can act like a part time travel agent liao.

Pat; we can meet to discuss and finalise. I went to the Malaysia Fair last month and took some brochures for ideas.

Propose Date

Malacca - 14th July to 15th July - 2D/1N

Genting - 13th July to 15th July - 3D/2N

Brother & Sister, lai le support support la, first time organise a SGMerc driveaway and bo lan join very lau kui wan le.

Guest millionmilebenz

Propose Date

Bros, I'm still on leh. Have booked the dates in my Outlook calendar already. For a first SGMerc trip more seem to be keen on Malacca than Genting (even though I also like the more challenging and longer-distance drive up to the latter).

Need any help in the organizing, just let me know!

Guest Cklasse

Great! we have another volunteer.

We shall be calling for a meeting when Pat (kompressor) is back from Taiwan to finalise some details on the Malacca trip.

We can always do another one to Genting after this Malacca trip.

Guest millionmilebenz

Great! we have another volunteer.

We shall be calling for a meeting when Pat (kompressor) is back from Taiwan to finalise some details on the Malacca trip.

We can always do another one to Genting after this Malacca trip.

Onzzz! Please PM me when you know the time for the meeting. Thanks!

Guest HLdrops

This coming meet up lets discuss our trip to Malacca. :) :) :)

Propose Date

yepz sure will be there!!

Guest kepiting1sg

Propose Date

If my health & time permit, me & my crab family will be going!

Ph@tboy wanna blow carbon on his C200 ride.

I wanna to see whether my C180 mods can match his C200 performance.....wakakakaka! ;D

Guest millionmilebenz

Propose Date

Aiyalamak! Just got word today that I need to fly off on Sunday instead of Monday, so won't be able to join you guys. :-[ Please let me know the decisions for the driveaway, and what I can do to help!

Propose Date

yup we have to meetup to discuss to see which dates?? and the logistics, maybe sponsors??

the prev proposed date of 28th Jul is now the best for me....

Guest W208

hey folks,

depending on both my schedule & your comfirmed dates, i wouldn't mind meeting y'all in malacca along w/ a few MB members from KL.

will keep y'all posted.

cheers!

hey folks,

depending on both my schedule & your comfirmed dates, i wouldn't mind meeting y'all in malacca along w/ a few MB members from KL.

will keep y'all posted.

cheers!

well, great!! keep you posted,

both country's MB clubs meeting together will be great..

Here's some usual tips to ensure safe road trips after the planning meetup tomorrow, will post the route plan..

oh yah, the Malaysian tolls from second link, will be RM8.40, a further up trip another RM3.10 and the destination stop toll will cost another RM24.30.

dun forget to change some RMs

back to the tips

Check vehicle before trip

The last thing you want is to get stranded in a remote place with a vehicle failure, worse if it's the middle of the night. An AA Pre-trip Inspection checks essential safety points and highlights any area that needs rectification so that you can get it fixed before your trip. The money spent is well worth the peace of mind, knowing that your car is in tip-top condition for your road trip.

Driving at night

Reduced visibility and drowsiness combined with blinding bright headlights are common night driving problems one has to overcome. Hence travellers are advised to avoid night driving as far as possible. If you have to, drive with caution and take breaks in between.

As a safety tip, use the light of oncoming vehicles and the vehicles ahead of you to gain valuable clues on the layout of the road, i.e. curves and bends.

Driving conditions and habits

Do some research on Malaysian driving conditions. Clue-up on the local safety signs, signals and speed limits before embarking on your holiday as most are in Malay.

Often, roads run through industrial, residential and kampong areas. Hence, drive with caution and look out for heavy vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, two wheelers, animals and bullock carts on both sides of the road when passing through these areas.

In Malaysia, many drivers communicate using their cars. Some drivers on the opposite side of the road use their right signal indicator to let you know their line as they approach you.

When overtaking a slow vehicle in front of you, do not flash your high beam as the locals may not understand your intention and may think you are antagonistic. Instead switch on your right indicator. Most drivers would filter left and give way.

Routes & Terrains

If possible, try to find out in advance any unusual terrain along the route that you are taking so as to anticipate them. Uneven surfaces and potholes are common on Malaysian trunk roads. Do not be distracted by the scenery and be careful when you manoeuvre the bends. Also, obtain a reliable map and plan your route in advance.

Bad Weather Conditions

Malaysia is frequently lashed by torrential tropical thunderstorms and thus, presents its own unique driving challenges. Avoid driving in bad weather conditions. In a downpour, always turn on your headlights and windshield wipers. Reduce speed to give yourself more time to react to hazards and let your speed drop gradually. Keep a lookout for hazards like falling tree branches, landslides and big sprays of water from puddles.

The North-South Highway have crosswinds frequently. Warning signs in the form of wind-socks are usually found at places prone to strong crosswinds. In the absence of wind-socks, the swaying trees along the road are good indications.

Dealing with aggressive motorists

Do not do anything that will frustrate other road users or cause them to react adversely.

If you encounter road peeves like motorists / bikers cutting in front of you or road hogging for example, stay calm and do not overact or react adversely.

If you have accidentally cut in front of another car, or may have unintentionally exercised inconsiderate driving, always reverse the process by apologizing with a hand gesture.

If you encounter road rage, stay in your car. Do not respond aggressively with angry gesture or action. Instead, use an apologetic gesture. If need be, drive to the nearest town to seek help or to call for help from the local police.

Most Importmant Get plenty of rest

Long distance driving can easily lead to driver fatigue. Get a good night's sleep before the trip. As a general rule, plan a stop every two hours during your journey, or once you experience any fatigue signs and symptoms. Rotate with your co-driver if you have one.

On the North-South Highway, lay bys are located every 25 to 50 km along the expressway. Facilities include parking bays, toilets and public telephones. Rest and Service Areas (RSA) are located every 80 to 100 kilometers.

Guest jenvid

keltanky ]

Here' wrote:

Check vehicle before trip[/b]

Check tyre pressure & for low batt. Top up spare bottles of water 4L shld be enuff.

Driving at night

Always look slightly to the left to avoid oncoming glare.

Lug a GPS along lor...

Bad Weather Conditions

Hehe... usually I drive faster when it really pours...

Crosswinds -> the way to beat it is to cruise at autobahn spd [160~170]cuz the car will be pushed down. I am not joking...

All the way to KL, only crosswind to watch out for is after Alor Gajah northwards.

Frankly speaking, these are usually SG drivers. IMHO Msia drivers are really a polite & patient bunch..

jenvid ]

Here' wrote:

Check vehicle before trip[/b]

Check tyre pressure & for low batt. Top up spare bottles of water 4L shld be enuff.

Driving at night

Always look slightly to the left to avoid oncoming glare.

Lug a GPS along lor...

Bad Weather Conditions

Hehe... usually I drive faster when it really pours...

Crosswinds -> the way to beat it is to cruise at autobahn spd [160~170]cuz the car will be pushed down. I am not joking...

All the way to KL, only crosswind to watch out for is after Alor Gajah northwards.

Frankly speaking, these are usually SG drivers. IMHO Msia drivers are really a polite & patient bunch..

good point,

by the way, you joining us??

Guest kepiting1sg

ok, the MYBENZ are also looking for a place for them and us to hold a GTG and have lunch..

so the date of the grand meetup is on the 29th

How big will be the MY group?

So far we have only 8 cars and some last min. may also not make it too!

Wait only less than 5 cars, gip very bad impression leh! :o :o :o

I hope we can chio more brothers, sisters, unkers, aunties,

ah cheks & ah sohs to join us. ;D

Hey you all out there!!!!!!

Come & join us for the fun drive!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest jenvid

by the way, you joining us??

Confirm 28th July drive in ? then a bit difficult for entourage, my kids got classes.. family n me can zoom in later part of the evening & join u guys for supper n go for grand meetup on 29th.