• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

How fast have you driven your Mercedes-Benz?

Guest Cklasse

Guest kepiting1sg

You know what'll be fun? If the Old-School lead-footed drivers (trained by W124's and W126's) exchange cars with the New-School... wah, I think sure rocket-launch! ;D But don't know whether we can return the cars back in one-piece... kekekekeke :P :P :P

Yen,

I've owned the W123 & W124 before & now the W203, so enough exp. on launching rocket on our wheels. ;D

New-school drivers with sprint booster, foot very slight pressure like playing taichi. ;)

Lead footed Old-school drivers sure can launch rocket in new-school cars with their foot as if stomping on ant nest. ;D

Can try that out next drive away to Penang! ;D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

My encounter so far in Active Safety driving course and the recent C-class challenge in the new W204 only indicated to me that Merc cannot rocket launch in stock form unless for the bigger cc engines (I may be wrong).

When I floored the pedal in the W204 (C200) or my own W203 (W203), the car seems to think awhile before launching. There is a time lag before the car response. I wonder can I step the pedal and brake together before letting the brakes off to launch? Will it be faster off the line? and will it get the kompressor to come on as soon as I launch off the line?

Had try mine , press not so hard on the paddle let the engine respond first than full press it, this seem respond faster and will have that rocket launching feeling( just my point of feel), i might be wrong or maybe just mentally feel it is faster ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

My encounter so far in Active Safety driving course and the recent C-class challenge in the new W204 only indicated to me that Merc cannot rocket launch in stock form unless for the bigger cc engines (I may be wrong).

When I floored the pedal in the W204 (C200) or my own W203 (W203), the car seems to think awhile before launching. There is a time lag before the car response. I wonder can I step the pedal and brake together before letting the brakes off to launch? Will it be faster off the line? and will it get the kompressor to come on as soon as I launch off the line?

Cklass,

When I meant "launching like a rocket", just joking nia lah! ;D

The W124 actually quite responsive in the mid range speed (after 100km/hr to 180 km/hr.)

For manual transmission car you can step on the gas before you let go the clutch to "launch"

to see & smell burning tires. ;D

I guess for our auto transmission car, probably we are gonna burnt up the rear brakes by doing that.

The other way I can think off is to put into gear 1 or 2 and bring up the rev. to the red line and shift through the gears until we hit 4 on our W203.

For you launch fanatics -

Taken from http://www.modernracer.com/tips/dragracinglaunchtechniques.html

In general, automatic transmissions are known as being more useful for lazy commuters than for hardcore racers. But it may be surprising for some to know that many pro drag-racing cars have heavy-duty auto gearboxes. That's because the brake-torque launch is an automatic specialty.

This launch involves keeping the car stationary by flooring the brakes with the left foot, while using the right foot to rev up the engine against the torque converter. In technical terms, this preloads the entire drivetrain with the stress of a launch, allowing the engine to rev closer to its power and torque peaks at the starting line.

Brake-torquing is also beneficial for turbocharged engines as it allows boost to build up before the launch, reducing turbo lag. The only problem is that there is a lot of stress on the transmission, and the consequent heat build-up can destroy your automatic gearbox. Unless your car has too much power for the tires to handle, a brake-torque launch usually will not spin the wheels.

This is because the automatic transmission absorbs the shock by design, and brake-torquing actually reduces stress on the rest of the drivetrain. Instead of a sudden massive load, the drivetrain has the torque applied slower instead of one huge jolt.

Guest kepiting1sg

Brake-torquing is also beneficial for turbocharged engines as it allows boost to build up before the launch, reducing turbo lag. The only problem is that there is a lot of stress on the transmission, and the consequent heat build-up can destroy your automatic gearbox. Unless your car has too much power for the tires to handle, a brake-torque launch usually will not spin the wheels.

Leon, U are right about not spinning the wheels rather than the load on the transmission!

Looks like I've to go back to school to learn my mechanics again. :-[ :-[ :-[

Guest millionmilebenz

Yen,

I've owned the W123 & W124 before & now the W203, so enough exp. on launching rocket on our wheels. ;D

New-school drivers with sprint booster, foot very slight pressure like playing taichi. ;)

Lead footed Old-school drivers sure can launch rocket in new-school cars with their foot as if stomping on ant nest. ;D

Can try that out next drive away to Penang! ;D

Uncle Batam, I shall follow your lead on NS Highway!!

P.S: the W123 sure was one heavy car in every sense. My family had one for 20 years. In comparison the W124 felt "light"!

Tell me about it! Dad had a '77 W123 for 22 years before it "gave up the ghost". A large portion of my P plate training was spent on it. Did I mention it was a 4 spd manual ? It was a challenge to drive but I'm glad to have experienced it. It pulled nicely in mid gear on the highway though and the manual box gearshift had a very nice feel to it.

Guest millionmilebenz

Tell me about it! Dad had a '77 W123 for 22 years before it "gave up the ghost". A large portion of my P plate training was spent on it. Did I mention it was a 4 spd manual ? It was a challenge to drive but I'm glad to have experienced it. It pulled nicely in mid gear on the highway though and the manual box gearshift had a very nice feel to it.

Bro, reading your post sure brings back memories... In that car I scored my first mischief (which was followed by caning). Drove it when I was 12 and almost got into big trouble! Miss that "gear-ry" sensation of the W123 engine and transmission. Don't know how to put it in words but I think you and Uncle Batam will know what I mean!