• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C-Class W204 Problem

Guest cisconet

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chiaster

rssid wrote:

Nope have you removed everything within the glovebox to ensure that it's not the stuff your keeping in there that's causing all that noise ?

I've done that already. Emptied the glove box and even left it open while driving. The rattling and squeaking sounds become more audible when I leave the compartment open. That's why I think it's coming from the hinges. Tried to locate them but it seems pretty difficult. Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Looks like it's going to be another trip to pandan loop. Sigh.

Guest kreampuff

I have an August '10 C180 CGI and experienced:

1. infamous 'grinding' sound from driver side wing mirror when folding. I can live with it. I take it as a 'good day' when there is no grinding sound.

2. 'Tok tok' sound when going low speed over uneven road surface. Front suspension changed and problem resolved.

3. Soft but distinct 'motor boat' sound from the rear of the car when car is stationery, but in 'drive' ( I am on the brakes eg at traffic lights). Spend 1 hr driving around Ubi trying to replicate it for engineer, but not successful.

4. Broken interior door pull. Wife was opening door and something inside the door snapped, leaving door pull hanging loosely with no tension. C&C said it was broken attachment and had to replace door mechanism - wasted one day taking leave and then one week couldn't open passenger door from inside while waiting for parts to arrive.

This is all within 3 months of ownership. Now finally (touch wood) can enjoy driving experience of a Merc without heart pain from funny noises/sounds - sometimes, I drive without music just to enjoy the absence of funny noises.

Guest kepiting1sg

Finally U come to the forum after 3 months of ownership! :hand:

Nice to see more & more W204 owners joining this forum!

A warm welcome to our forum and we hope you enjoy your stay with us! :welcome:

Looking forward to see cya at our mthly gtg which is held on the last Sun of each mth @ Kallang Stadium - Car Park F from 4.30pm onwards

The next gtg will be this coming sunday 28th Nov.

Meanwhile enjoy your ride!!!!!:music:

kreampuff ive got that same prob;em as you too. Been to ubi like 3 times already but so far unsuccessful. Sound seems to be coming from the rear and more distint when im sitting at the back or at night. If you manage to figure it out let me know what was the issue.

3. Soft but distinct 'motor boat' sound from the rear of the car when car is stationery, but in 'drive' ( I am on the brakes eg at traffic lights). Spend 1 hr driving around Ubi trying to replicate it for engineer, but not successful.

Guest kreampuff

rssid wrote:

kreampuff ive got that same prob;em as you too. Been to ubi like 3 times already but so far unsuccessful. Sound seems to be coming from the rear and more distint when im sitting at the back or at night. If you manage to figure it out let me know what was the issue.

Okay, let's exchange notes.

You are a lot more patient than I am to visit Ubi three times.

After looking at the same problems being described by C class owners, I am thinking that the engineers probably are aware of all the same issues being described when we see them. Am wondering if it is C&C policy for them to pretend that they never heard of such problems before or to pretend it is very rare.

Guest vt5sport

kreampuff wrote:

Okay, let's exchange notes.

You are a lot more patient than I am to visit Ubi three times.

After looking at the same problems being described by C class owners, I am thinking that the engineers probably are aware of all the same issues being described when we see them. Am wondering if it is C&C policy for them to pretend that they never heard of such problems before or to pretend it is very rare.

Dun tink it's limited to C&C but every AD i've encountered oso seem to act blur like its the first time they hear of such problems eventho these problems are rife in forums.

Lack PR lah. I applied to join their customer service department, but they dun want me leh... If recruit me, I will do a top-down, left-right, inside-out revamp of their current service standard. (or the lack of it)

Will get the COO to make

1)public apology

2)give free accessories

3)lunch and dinner free

4)reimbursement of money

5)packaged with young dancing girls with tao liap :censored:. rofl trying to rhyme :becky:

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Guest apple088

skoder wrote:

Lack PR lah. I applied to join their customer service department, but they dun want me leh... If recruit me, I will do a top-down, left-right, inside-out revamp of their current service standard. (or the lack of it)

Will get the COO to make

1)public apology

2)give free accessories

3)lunch and dinner free

4)reimbursement of money

5)packaged with young dancing girls with tao liap :censored:. rofl trying to rhyme :becky:

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

If you join I sure sell my shares !!

You don't have the requirements lar.

1) Need to be tick skin - how customer scold also say you are right

2) Cannot say sorry - wrong also cannot admit blame others e.g. LTA, road weather etc.

3) Lunch and dinner free - Can the cakes and coffee at the service center free - suggest to use SWEE HENG one instead ... cut cost !!

4) reimbursement of money - do it more as credit for next car.

5) Cannot give accessories - sell them more. poison them. Sales Quota will be given

6) dancing gals no need. Hire PRC mei mei can liao. Get a mamasan there also can. Get commission, upsell the services and accessories.

roflmao. would short shares than dump shares. hehe.

I like your method. This will allow PIs to be more profitable, hence spawning more local SMEs, creating job opportunities and setting healthy competition for price and level of customer service.

side track, hows the yield for Jardine Matheson?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chiaster

skoder wrote:

Rumoured that next year on, there will come an upgraded version of the suspension. stay tune.

I am still getting the "knocking" sounds from the shock absorbers. This is about a month after I visited Pandan to rectify the same sounds and the veering left issue.

Have recently booked an appointment to go back to Pandan on 20th December (next Monday) and get the "knocking" sounds fixed. This time, it's coming from both the front and rear. Also hope to get the squeaking and rattling sound coming from the glovebox compartment looked at. It's irritating when you drive and you get all those noises.

Back to the upgraded suspension for next year, will that be available for replacement of faulty shock absorbers like mine?

I am not very sure for the rear shocks, but quite surely for the front shocks, I mean the new version would come mid Jan. I just asked a SA. it is unpleasantly loud and I hope to get it fixed b4 CNY.

Currently will just have to bear with it....:Cry:

Guest chiaster

Ok, seems like the front shocks will have to be replaced with the upgraded versions when they arrive hopefully next month. The service technician was very helpful. Not only did we drive around to hear the sounds, he also had the car lifted to take a look at the shocks. Didn't get the glovebox sounds fixed though. He says to have the shocks replaced first and if those are fixed, he'll then diagnose the glovebox rattling and squeaking. All I can do now is to wait for their next call to check in to Pandan.

Hi Skoder and Chiaster,

I have experience knocking sound whenever I drove pass a hump or bumpy road.

Initially thought it is normal but since many of has similar problem, then better get it fix.

Rather disappointed....fading emblem and now with this problem.....

Should we go together to voice our concern on their quality.....hopefully we can get it done asap.

Guest chiaster

rssid wrote:

Can I get the name if the SA you spoke to ? I've got that same absorber knocking sound coming from the rear left wheel well area. Very obvious when going over humps

Dropped you a PM already, mate. Got it? :)

Guest chiaster

Mer4 wrote:

Hi Skoder and Chiaster,

I have experience knocking sound whenever I drove pass a hump or bumpy road.

Initially thought it is normal but since many of has similar problem, then better get it fix.

Rather disappointed....fading emblem and now with this problem.....

Should we go together to voice our concern on their quality.....hopefully we can get it done asap.

I reckon we're not the only ones who have gone back to C&C with this problem. The thing is, those that have gone back would have had their faulty shocks replaced. If the sound persists after that and you go back, they will tell you that there's an upgraded version of the parts on question and you'll have to wait for it to get to our shores before they can get it fixed for you. They'll also add in the fact that air travel is disrupted in Europe so they aren't sure when the new parts will arrive. I was told next month or early February. In the meantime, I'll have to grin and bear it. :(

the fading emblem can be replace very quickly, almost on the spot. mine was replaced a month ago and it currently shows no signs of fading despite going thru many manual wash and polish. touch wood, its non recurring.

As for the damper, not sure if the "upgraded version" would be of better quality than the current one. they say upgraded, but atm, i find not supporting evidence in web that Merc has identified this particular problem for recall and repair, let alone finding a "fix" for the problem.

I had alerted the SA i saw when he 1st replaced both of my front shocks, that swopping it out for the same manufacturing origin will not fix the problem as clearly, quality is compromised for the batch.

Now, like Chiaster put it, have to bear with it... its getting louder each passing day, sometimes I wonder taking a bus might be quieter, especially going over uneven ground.

More than the annoying noise which I try to overcome with turning up the stereo, is the safety of the ride. It might be psychological, but i sense slight understeer towards the direction of the faulty shocks on a small bend at 70km/h.... might be just me...

meantime, guys, drive safe!

Guest chiaster

skoder wrote:

the fading emblem can be replace very quickly, almost on the spot. mine was replaced a month ago and it currently shows no signs of fading despite going thru many manual wash and polish. touch wood, its non recurring.

As for the damper, not sure if the "upgraded version" would be of better quality than the current one. they say upgraded, but atm, i find not supporting evidence in web that Merc has identified this particular problem for recall and repair, let alone finding a "fix" for the problem.

I had alerted the SA i saw when he 1st replaced both of my front shocks, that swopping it out for the same manufacturing origin will not fix the problem as clearly, quality is compromised for the batch.

Now, like Chiaster put it, have to bear with it... its getting louder each passing day, sometimes I wonder taking a bus might be quieter, especially going over uneven ground.

More than the annoying noise which I try to overcome with turning up the stereo, is the safety of the ride. It might be psychological, but i sense slight understeer towards the direction of the faulty shocks on a small bend at 70km/h.... might be just me...

meantime, guys, drive safe!

If the replacement "upgraded" shocks still can't fix the sounds, I'll go for coilovers next. *sigh*

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Skoder,

I have the emblem replaced, so far so good...

As for "upgraded suspensions"

May you advise which service center you have visited and the SA name?

I would like to get it done as well.

Thank you.

Guest chiaster

skoder wrote:

the new "upgraded suspensions" are here. feels good. and strangely i begin to miss the wretched "tok-tok" noise.... haha.

i just hope this is the permanent fix.

Bro, would appreciate it if you could share the lowdown with me and all others who have the same problem. I would like to get all 4 of my absorbers replaced asap. You can call/SMS me at 93630537, email me at [email protected], PM me or just reply here. Thanks!

*as you can see, I'm quite desperate to get this fixed*