• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

What tyres??

Guest angela

Guest kepiting1sg

My first set of tyre that came with the AMG rims was Michellin Pilot Sport. This tyre is good for dry and wet and it sticks to the road, however the price is on the high side.

I didn't chose the Pilot Sport over the Pilot Preceda as I was afraid it will be a bit noiser to my liking.

The Michelin site list the Pilot Preceda as "Silent sport tyre",

Pilot Sport Cup as "Competition-oriented for track performance"

and the New Pilot Sport as "The ultimate tyre for serious performance driving"

The tyre shop did confirmed with me that the Pilot Preceda will be less noiser than the Pilot Sport.

Whatever it's, I was happy with the previous set of Michelin Preceda for it's grip(wet/dry), wear rate(my driving style) & noise.

http://www.michelin.com.sg/car/car_cat_perf.jsp

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jenvid

kepiting1sg ]

My first set of tyre that came with the AMG rims was Michellin Pilot Sport. This tyre is good for dry and wet and it sticks to the road, however the price is on the high side.

I didn' wrote:

Didnt know you wanted to switch tyres when we met the other time, would have advise you to go for the F1.

I was using the preceda before hopping to F1. Suprisingly F1 grip is so much better and quieter. Best of all it is significantly cheaper. It took me a few rds to convince myself to go for F1 because the price/value equation just didnt make sense. My W203 is using the 225/50/16 & the F1 was $60 cheaper than the Preceda.

Guest angela

Guys, Just some knowledge from me. 1st try not to get Conti tyres. I think is no good at all. Got into an accident many year ago. From then on. No more conti for me. Tyres to look out for Dunlop sportmaxx. Good! Hehe.. F1 tyres there are 2 versions. One from Germany the other is from Thailand. The latter is much much cheaper. Quality also suffered. Right now i using German F1. Sportmaxx will be my next. My the other car has already used sportmaxx. No regret.

Cheers...

Agree. Read tyre reviews on Conti and not so favourable.

Was told 18" and above size F1s fm Germany only. Below will be fm Germany or Thailand.

After reading reviews, found Dunlop DZ101 a well balanced tyre. Of course Sportmaxx better lah $$$. ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

jenvid ]

I didn' wrote:

Didnt know you wanted to switch tyres when we met the other time, would have advise you to go for the F1.

I was using the preceda before hopping to F1. Suprisingly F1 grip is so much better and quieter. Best of all it is significantly cheaper. It took me a few rds to convince myself to go for F1 because the price/value equation just didnt make sense. My W203 is using the 225/50/16 & the F1 was $60 cheaper than the Preceda.

Looks like it will be another 2 to 3 years to make another decision on the tires again ;D

My old tires were >3years old and I dun't feel safe with them anymore and I will be even more worried if my wife is driving our car.

Today I was in SG and I got the time to replace the tires.

Last year one of the front tires on my Pleasure Island ride a Toyota Prado LandCruiser exploded while driving @ about 100 km/hr.

Lucky thing, I was able to pull the car safely to a stop.

Changing the huge & heavy wheel with the Dunlop 265/70/R16 tires may cause hernia ;D

Those tires were about 3 years old with more than 3mm of thread left.

The tires probably have hardened with age thus causing them to explode.

Hope Chrizz made a good choice for his tires! :)

Guest VBlaster_W211

Let's be more specific when comparing tyres. Don't say "Conti tyres cannot make it". We have to compare model to model. CPC2 against Preceda 2, but obviously not CPC2 against PS2! They're not in the same market segment.

Overall, most tyre makers have a wide range of tyres from noisier performance tyres that may compromise in wet, to balanced types, and all way to comfort tyres with (to me) very poor performance in dry. Major brands all have their competent models.

For more comfort rides with a bit of sportiness, I'll say Preceda 2 and CPC2 are not bad.

F1 locally is made in Thai, which does not have the silica compound. So don't just rely on overseas reviews of this tyre.

Guest jenvid

Let's be more specific when comparing tyres. Don't say "Conti tyres cannot make it". We have to compare model to model. CPC2 against Preceda 2, but obviously not CPC2 against PS2! They're not in the same market segment.

Overall, most tyre makers have a wide range of tyres from noisier performance tyres that may compromise in wet, to balanced types, and all way to comfort tyres with (to me) very poor performance in dry. Major brands all have their competent models.

For more comfort rides with a bit of sportiness, I'll say Preceda 2 and CPC2 are not bad.

F1 locally is made in Thai, which does not have the silica compound. So don't just rely on overseas reviews of this tyre.

Hey, my F1 is made in Germany. I understand from my crazy racers& mechs that Thai rubber in general offers better grip at the expense of wear rate.

IMHO I think the most impt thing when getting a new set of rubbers is the age of it. I once took on a set of P6000 for my R170, everytime I hit the brakes when wet the ABS kick in. True enough I hit the back of a chain collision and promptly when for fresh Thai Bridgestone rubbers under my those crazy mechs recommendations. The new rubber grip was phenomenon.

Nowadays my opening question for the tyre folks is how old are they. In general I try to get them under 2mths old of mfg.

Guest VBlaster_W211

It's coming to 3 years, time to change tyres. Still on stock E 200 Elegance rims, and spouse wants something quiet and comfortable.

Original is Conti Premium Contact 225/55R16. Thinking of going Conti Premium Contact 2 or Michelin Pilot Preceda 2.

Opinions? Wonder how much are they? Should not be more than what I got for my Integra, since they're 225/45R17 profile for UHP tyres, I guess.

Interesting website on CPC2:

http://www.conti-online.com/coremedia/generator/www/uk/en/continental/cpc2/01-themes-vorteile/main.html

Guest kepiting1sg

VBlaster_W211 ]

It' wrote:

Long time no see or talk....how're U?........wahahahahah! :D

I was previously using the old Michelin Preceda and they served me well.

Last Friday, I've just changed my set of tires to Michelin Pilot Preceda 2.

They come with 6 years warranty, if you dare to use your tires that long.....wakakakaka! ;D

They cost me S$260 (225/45/R17) a pop together with the usual free wheel balancing for 4 tires and filling of N2 gas.

Guest VBlaster_W211

Hi! Nice to catch up with you here. All the way from the old Delphi Merc forum!

Preceda 2 sounds good, and also CPC2. I'll probably weigh between the two. Spouse made it double clear - keep her Merc stock and go mod my Integra, so sticking to Elegance 16" rims (she doesn't know about the sprint booster...sssshhhhh!) :D

Guest angela

Yah.. i should be more specific. CSC tyres cannot make it.

Guys, u can go to this place, 3 International Road S619619. tel: 6262 1010. Automotive Technology. The price quoted to me which i think is the lowest around. Product to look at is the Dunlop Sportmaxx and F1. Prices differs between both is about $10-20. I would recommend. I change all my cars tyres from there. Super Cheap.

This company has nothing to do with me. I recommend because its a good bargain.

Cheers all....

Guest skipper

I am using the tom yam F1s. Advantage is they are really cheap at $140 ea for the 16in. Disadvantage is they are too noisy for my liking.

Will definitely try the Preceda2 the next time.

Guest tlow728

Maybe you guys can try Michelin MXV8. Very comfortable tyres with reasonable performance in wet and dry. Road noise is also fairly low. Price a bit steep at S$290 per piece. Used it on my ride for the last 40,000 km and still going well.

Guest kepiting1sg

Maybe you guys can try Michelin MXV8. Very comfortable tyres with reasonable performance in wet and dry. Road noise is also fairly low. Price a bit steep at S$290 per piece. Used it on my ride for the last 40,000 km and still going well.

Many of us have upgraded our wheels.

Most of us are into 17" & 18" wheels.

Michelin MXV8 series do not have low profile tires for our use! ;D

Guest angela

Hi all

I am currently looking at 245/35-18 tyres, it looks like F1 is price quite reasonable. We are talking about GoodYear F1 GS-D3 here right? How much is the different between the Thailand and Germany made? I need some feedback on F1 comfort and noise level.

Thanks.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angela

Many of us have upgraded our wheels.

Most of us are into 17" & 18" wheels.

Michelin MXV8 series do not have low profile tires for our use! ;D

Am contemplating to upgrade to 18" from 16" wheels but susceptible to compromise of ride comfort.

May I get some feedback and comment?

Thanks.

Guest CBlack

Am contemplating to upgrade to 18" from 16" wheels but susceptible to compromise of ride comfort.

May I get some feedback and comment?

Thanks.

i've done that plus lower the ride. it just feel a bit bumpy and rough road other than that no complaint ;)

Guest RRRoaring

Just sized up from 17" to 19" and changed from Michelin Diamaris 4x4 originals to the Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres. I can truly recommend these tyres. They are quieter, grip better and corner so much more positively. I think hte larger rims also has something to do with it and the ride has not been sacrificed too much at low speeds. A little more bumpy at low speeds but on the highways - just fabulous !! 5* rating from me for the Pirelli tyres

Guest et209

like wise, just got rid of my 16" and upgraded to 18". honestly, one of the best decisions i made for this car. it is more stable, does not have that floating feeling during cornering too. surprisingly, the ride is not any harder (cannot feel it). currently i am using 2 yr old CSC2 at the back and brand new goodyears in front.

i still don't know how this upgrade will affect petrol consumption.. still measuring..

• 9 months later...

Just installed Conti PremiumContact 2. Very quiet and generally good handling. Recommended for quiet cruising in a family sedan.

would CPC2 be more quiet than Mic PP2?

thinking of changing mine