• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Thinking of buying a old E200

Guest nemo

Guest nemo

Hi there I got friends dad wanting to let go a 1994 E200. It a June car if my friend is not wrong. May I know any major issues with this particular car?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nemo

I have not test the car yet, but my friend say its no a master piece but in good condition overall cause my friends dad is pretty anal about his car.

May I ask any big issues with the 94 E200?

Is it ok to get... or should i stick to a 91-92 Model. Would like to know more b4 i go and disturb my friends dad.

Guest nemo

In need of answer. I tried a few car.... when step on throttle car move off the rpm start hunting, move up and down when i release throttle... is this normal? Actually all the car i tried behaves like that......

Guest starnite

bro.. 91-92 are 8V... 94's are 16V... Technically they are slightly different. In pick up, cruising, and mechanically built. But be warned that 16v car will cost a bit more then 8V in annual depreciation(cos it is more advance and newer car). So depending on ur wants.. Are u willing to pay more for the small or negligible differents? If yes, go ahead and test drive your friend's dad car... since it is direct seller, he might give u a good price, and some assurance..

Guest nemo

bro.. 91-92 are 8V... 94's are 16V... Technically they are slightly different. In pick up, cruising, and mechanically built. But be warned that 16v car will cost a bit more then 8V in annual depreciation(cos it is more advance and newer car). So depending on ur wants.. Are u willing to pay more for the small or negligible differents? If yes, go ahead and test drive your friend's dad car... since it is direct seller, he might give u a good price, and some assurance..

Besides the annaul dep.... is the engine and stuff as reliable... I notice lesser people talk about owning a 94 E200. Is it a reliable car?

Guest nemo

i still need a advice on the fluctuating RPM. I dunno if this is normal for Merc W124. Idling no fluctuating but when step on gas... it behave abit wierd.... car run smooth and ok but the RPM meter like very loose... abit cartoon actually. Is this a big issue or normal?

i still need a advice on the fluctuating RPM. I dunno if this is normal for Merc W124. Idling no fluctuating but when step on gas... it behave abit wierd.... car run smooth and ok but the RPM meter like very loose... abit cartoon actually. Is this a big issue or normal?

W124s are pretty much reliable throughout the range. As mentioned by bros, 16v upkeep is more ex than 8v in terms of certain spare parts as I believe this model should be an electronically controlled fuel injection type. It all boils down to what you prefer.

You can be assured that the 16v engine is just as reliable as the 8v.

The fluctuating needles indicate that you may need to replace the motor behind the RPM meter or the cable that is sending the signal to the meter. If you can live with it you don't have to replace it urgently.

Guest nemo

W124s are pretty much reliable throughout the range. As mentioned by bros, 16v upkeep is more ex than 8v in terms of certain spare parts as I believe this model should be an electronically controlled fuel injection type. It all boils down to what you prefer.

The fluctuating needles indicate that you may need to replace the motor behind the RPM meter or the cable that is sending the signal to the meter. If you can live with it you don't have to replace it urgently.

Thanks for the info is it expensive that part?

Depends on your luck. Sometimes you can find a used entire instrument cluster for $200. The only problem is you might have to "tiao" the mileage yourself to match your current one. Brand new speedo alone is approx $220. I am guessing tacho etc should be similar in price.

Try the company below that deals with used Merc, BMW and other conti car parts.

PROPEL AUTO PARTS PTE LTD

No. 28, Kranji Road

Singapore 739467

Sales : (65) 6368 1686, (65) 6367 0886

Office : (65) 6269 0250

Fax : (65) 6363 2803

Email: [email protected]

Guest nemo

Depends on your luck. Sometimes you can find a used entire instrument cluster for $200. The only problem is you might have to "tiao" the mileage yourself to match your current one. Brand new speedo alone is approx $220. I am guessing tacho etc should be similar in price.

Try the company below that deals with used Merc, BMW and other conti car parts.

PROPEL AUTO PARTS PTE LTD

No. 28, Kranji Road

Singapore 739467

Sales : (65) 6368 1686, (65) 6367 0886

Office : (65) 6269 0250

Fax : (65) 6363 2803

Email: [email protected]

thanks Bro

Guest starnite

bRO nEMO... bUY LAH... Cheap lah... you can never buy a better and comfortable car than this at this price. For the price u are paying, maybe u can only get a picanto? Or Rio? Heng suay also... if u buy a good one, maybe u spend only few hundred to maintain it. If u buy a lemon.. maybe a few k at least..My unker always say.. cannot compare this and that..driving a car can never be justified. if u want to justify driving a car.. u are better off taking taxi! Just follow your feeling.. JUST DO IT! and start praying! :punk1:

Hope to see ur new purchase soon!

Guest mr w124

Talked to this guy. car is laid up. got some minor body work to do on one of the wheel arches if i remember correctly. paper wise, this car got abt 10k paper so it would be a good buy. but u may have to source for your own loan.

Hey Bro the guys AD is up again. How u think his car in ok condition MECH wise?

Have not seen the car bro. Just talked to the guy over the phone. might be worth it to take a look as the paper value is high. but take note that the car has been laid up since jan i believe.

Talked to this guy. car is laid up. got some minor body work to do on one of the wheel arches if i remember correctly. paper wise, this car got abt 10k paper so it would be a good buy. but u may have to source for your own loan.

Hey Bro the guys AD is up again. How u think his car in ok condition MECH wise?

Have not seen the car bro. Just talked to the guy over the phone. might be worth it to take a look as the paper value is high. but take note that the car has been laid up since jan i believe.

Thanks for the reply. I saw the car liao.... not really wat i want so i gave it a pass.

Hi Bros Finally... i BUY LIAO!!!!! YooooHoooo.....

Its a 1994 E200.

In my opinion about the car.

Body work and interior. 8/10

Engine Condition. 7/10

Suspension and undercarraige condition 7/10

Electrical Condition 7/10

Price of car 6/10

Car was abit expensive compared to 8v but i find its worth it at the moment.

My friend help me test and look at the car. He told me it does not have any major problems.

I will bring the car to MBM for a professional check . Will post what is the actual condition of the car.(Keeping Fingers Cross)

This car does not come with keyless entry..... May i know where is a place to get a good alarm/central locking. Hopefully is a place that know this car very well. Cause this is one feature I really want.

Oh Yah i forgot to add...... does this 1994 w124 16v E200 have a immobilizer? Dun wanna have issues when i install a after market alarm. I link those flip key type alarms cause it easier to carry around. :swduel:

Another question. Would probably need to change the tyres in 1-2 mths time. What u guys recommend ? Finding for something with good wet/dry and also quiet.

Another thing what spark plugs u guys usually use? Do they have iridium plugs for this 1994 16v E200(w124)? What brand carries them?

And lastly, what engine oil u guys use? 5-40, 10-40 or 15-50? I prefer fully syn oil... which is recommended for this old dame.

Guest starnite

for your remote keys, i think can be done at Z*n Motors at kaki Bukit. About $200 for full set with flip keys I believe?

So how much did u pay for ur ride? From ur friend's dad?

for your remote keys, i think can be done at Z*n Motors at kaki Bukit. About $200 for full set with flip keys I believe?

So how much did u pay for ur ride? From ur friend's dad?

Bro I not familiar with car shop, can u PM the address and name of this shop u mentioned?

Guest damagecar

Heard of St1000 remote? It will signal your key if someone knock yr car hard. Will sense the car temperature too. Many more function. A bit bulky though. But I like it.

I installed it at Audio Concept @ defu lane

Heard of St1000 remote? It will signal your key if someone knock yr car hard. Will sense the car temperature too. Many more function. A bit bulky though. But I like it.

I installed it at Audio Concept @ defu lane

wah two way alarm... expensive?