• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Thinking of buying a old E200

Guest nemo

Guest nemo

Hi there i am looking for old E200. W124 i think. Any advise on getting this car? What are the usual problems? Is maintenance very expensive? And where is a good place to to maintenance this car?(Besides CnC)

I am looking at this car anybody know the history of this ca? Is it worth?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=45589&DL=1096

U guys have any good recomendation on where to get used E.... my budget is 12k max....(sorry.. a bit cheapo..)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest starnite

HI, this is a mechanical Fuel injection. Somewhere in between a caburretor and a Electonic Fuel Injection. I think 86 model and before are using caburretor. Injection means better economy as fuel are supposed to burn more efficiently.

No comment on this dealer, cos never buy from him before. But W124 is a great car to drive but u must be prepare to accept his slow acceleration. If u have driven a 1000cc car with 5 big man inside, u will understand what I mean.. :)

:yumyum:

Guest nemo

HI, this is a mechanical Fuel injection. Somewhere in between a caburretor and a Electonic Fuel Injection. I think 86 model and before are using caburretor. Injection means better economy as fuel are supposed to burn more efficiently.

No comment on this dealer, cos never buy from him before. But W124 is a great car to drive but u must be prepare to accept his slow acceleration. If u have driven a 1000cc car with 5 big man inside, u will understand what I mean.. :)

:yumyum:

Oh I C... wahahahah 1000cc 5 big man.... hahaha...

So is it more advisable to buy a 16 E200?

May I also ask how come the C180(OLD model COE Car) is more ex then the E200??

Is the C180 a better ride?

Guest nemo

OH yah... forgot to update u guys. I tried on 8v 1991 E200 Yesterday. Actually oki overall.... but the gear while I shift from Park - Neutral - Drive the shifter feels very loose.... cant describe... just very loose feeling... Is it normal?

But when test driving overall feels ok. No clutch slip too, is it normal for the gear shifter to feel loose?

Actually oki overall.... but the gear while I shift from Park - Neutral - Drive the shifter feels very loose.... cant describe... just very loose feeling... Is it normal?

But when test driving overall feels ok. No clutch slip too, is it normal for the gear shifter to feel loose?

Probably just the bushing. It's a cheap fix.

Guest nemo

Actually oki overall.... but the gear while I shift from Park - Neutral - Drive the shifter feels very loose.... cant describe... just very loose feeling... Is it normal?

Probably just the bushing. It's a cheap fix.

Oh u mean change gear bushing will tighten the gear knob feel.

Guest nemo

i think most prob will get a 8v E200.... cause the 16v ones are really more ex... in terms of car price...

Any good bro got good recommendation on where to get a good W124. And where is a good place to fix and do minor repairs for the W124?

May I also ask, which year W124 have Fuel Injection( Electrical or Mech ) which better?

Guest mr w124

For your budget, i think this would be a better deal than the '88 model u were looking at

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=46707&DL=1000

While age does not play a very big factor with the 124, it does have some bearing on the types of probs u might have. older cars might have worn out more less common stuff like driveshafts and the like. Also from what i know, the mech injection started in '88. electrical injection wise i'm not sure. dont even know if 124 has electrical injection. good places to get would be tagore i guess. many guys selling the 124 there. look around n take your time. Mike once said that the engine can be repaired but the body parts would be harder to rectify so check for rust, especially under the door seals. saw a blue one at AML where the engine was bad, trans was bad n the body had loads of rust. the dealer himself thought that the car had efi n kept trying to press for a sale. so beware of the many unscrupulous dealers around.

Guest starnite

Yes, i think this one that mr 124 recommend looks good.. at least on paper.. Can arrange and go down take a look.

$12.8k with new COE is cheap.

Guest nemo

For your budget, i think this would be a better deal than the '88 model u were looking at

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=46707&DL=1000

While age does not play a very big factor with the 124, it does have some bearing on the types of probs u might have. older cars might have worn out more less common stuff like driveshafts and the like. Also from what i know, the mech injection started in '88. electrical injection wise i'm not sure. dont even know if 124 has electrical injection. good places to get would be tagore i guess. many guys selling the 124 there. look around n take your time. Mike once said that the engine can be repaired but the body parts would be harder to rectify so check for rust, especially under the door seals. saw a blue one at AML where the engine was bad, trans was bad n the body had loads of rust. the dealer himself thought that the car had efi n kept trying to press for a sale. so beware of the many unscrupulous dealers around.

U know this guy? Is the condition ok?

Guest bbwannabe

hello,

recently i sent my w203 in MBM for inspection.

if you make an appointment, you will get some priority. (doesn't start on time due to delay of cars before yours, mbm is really popular!)

they said it will take about 1-1.5 hour. indeed, i sat in the lounge for at that amount of time. but the actual work, besides waiting for mine to start, is about 30 mins. i even stood nearby the tech to see how stardiagnostic look like.

they claim it will cost about 30-50$. in the end, they wanted to charge 50$. but i told them i'm a member of sgmerc and is entitled to 20% discount. they gave the discount in the end. however, i feel that you can try to go the for 30$ + 20% discount charge. =)

look for ah yong. don't quote me, probably can get a better price!

Guest lyebin

For 8V, get the 1991 Model without Catalyst Converter, It got 5Bhp more than 1992 Model 8V. And the Pickup is slighty slighty better. :) But For the Walnut Interior, 1992 Model is Nicer.

Generally, 8V W124 maintenance is Relatively Cheap. No headaches. :thumbsup:

Guest kepiting1sg

For 8V, get the 1991 Model without Catalyst Converter, It got 5Bhp more than 1992 Model 8V. And the Pickup is slighty slighty better. :) But For the Walnut Interior, 1992 Model is Nicer.

Generally, 8V W124 maintenance is Relatively Cheap. No headaches. :thumbsup:

I used to have the 91 with Zebrano Wood - hated the wood and always gian my younger brother 93 walnut interior

especially with the wooden sliding center console.

In the end, converted the whole interior to mp

IMHO if U get a 93 16V without much problem will be a better car to drive.