• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Thinking of buying a old E200

Guest nemo

Guest nemo

For 8V, get the 1991 Model without Catalyst Converter, It got 5Bhp more than 1992 Model 8V. And the Pickup is slighty slighty better. :) But For the Walnut Interior, 1992 Model is Nicer.

Generally, 8V W124 maintenance is Relatively Cheap. No headaches. :thumbsup:

I used to have the 91 with Zebrano Wood - hated the wood and always gian my younger brother 93 walnut interior

especially with the wooden sliding center console.

In the end, converted the whole interior to mp

IMHO if U get a 93 16V without much problem will be a better car to drive.

But i tought 16v model more headache... and more ex todo if something spoil?

By the way how much more ex we talking about in maintaining a 16v compare to 8v.... Cause abit more power will be nice. Kekekeke

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nemo

Talked to this guy. car is laid up. got some minor body work to do on one of the wheel arches if i remember correctly. paper wise, this car got abt 10k paper so it would be a good buy. but u may have to source for your own loan.

Hi There? I dun see his AD anymore, is he still selling?

Guest nemo

Talked to this guy. car is laid up. got some minor body work to do on one of the wheel arches if i remember correctly. paper wise, this car got abt 10k paper so it would be a good buy. but u may have to source for your own loan.

Hi Bro can u givr me his num if u have? Maybe I can call for viewing? His car is 8v or 16v?

Guest nemo

Hi guys i saw one i quite like. My friend who is a mech saw the car with me. Its engine and gear and radiator quite ok. But I have a query. The window rubber seal at the back (both) and the right mirror plastic part are in bad con.... how much roughly to get new rubber seals and side mirror seal?

Guest nemo

Hi there Bros need your help again. Is there a good one place in SG that i can put a E200 there to restore the car. Stuff like interior trimming(door , dash parts, gear knob etc), exterior trimmings, door sill, door rubber , side mirror mounts etc. Best if this place can to mech works too. Any one stop place in SG to do all these one shot. Like leave the car there 2-3wks, if u know wat i mean.

Pls give me a nice reliable workshop .

Thanks Guys.

If possible roughly how much u guys think it will cost me. Cause i dun mind paying and do everything properly cause if i own a W124 i will wanna keep it for a good long time. My fav timeless design car this W124.

Guest damagecar

Hi there Bros need your help again. Is there a good one place in SG that i can put a E200 there to restore the car. Stuff like interior trimming(door , dash parts, gear knob etc), exterior trimmings, door sill, door rubber , side mirror mounts etc. Best if this place can to mech works too. Any one stop place in SG to do all these one shot. Like leave the car there 2-3wks, if u know wat i mean.

Thanks Guys.

If possible roughly how much u guys think it will cost me. Cause i dun mind paying and do everything properly cause if i own a W124 i will wanna keep it for a good long time. My fav timeless design car this W124.

Sould have... Of course you are asking a mechanic to refit cosmetic parts. The mechanic will find for you and will charge you for his service. :)

Guest damagecar

Hi Bros anybodu knwo about this car? Hows the overall condition?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=45976&DL=1000

It belongs to one of the bros here i believe.

How many w124s have you test drive?

How many parts changed have you seen in the bonnet, what have been changed or serviced.

How's the sound of the engine at idle?

Oil pressure at idle / Test drive and its gear change, smooth?

Temperature reading after test drive and at idle?

E mode / S mode working?

I think those listed abv are just some things I will consider. Perhaps you can list down what you see is important :)

Happy hunting :)

Guest Ody_2004

There's some new parts replaced in the engine bay.. Throttle body, accelerator cable, brake booster etc. Temp is ok at idle.

Comestic wise acceptable but the front bumper there's some crack/hole at the right side. Interior do need some cleaning.

Guest nemo

There's some new parts replaced in the engine bay.. Throttle body, accelerator cable, brake booster etc. Temp is ok at idle.

Comestic wise acceptable but the front bumper there's some crack/hole at the right side. Interior do need some cleaning.

I have not seen the car, waiting reply from this Bro as i have PMed him for meet up details.

Is overall acceptable? Small cosmetic stuff i am actually ok, I dun mind doing it myself. Most imp i think will be overall mechanics. Working properly with minimum probs will be ok i guess.

Guest nemo

Thanks Guys.

Sould have... Of course you are asking a mechanic to refit cosmetic parts. The mechanic will find for you and will charge you for his service. :)

Can any of the Bros here introduce a good one stop shop then? PM me if not convinient to post here, all help are very appreciated.. thanks

Guest nemo

How many parts changed have you seen in the bonnet, what have been changed or serviced.

E mode / S mode working?

I think those listed abv are just some things I will consider. Perhaps you can list down what you see is important :)

I test drove 3 in all. 2x8v and 1x16v.

The 16v definatly have better throttle response.

As for Engine , this car i tested seems ok. Idle smooth, temp working properly, cold and hot start oki, aircon ok, no wierd sounds, gear change considered smooth for the cars age. But wat parts have beed changed the shop no say. I think he dun wanna say or really dunno ... But looking at the bay .. the throttle body seems to be wash clean , gasket no big signs of oil leak. the radiator looks newer then the engine. This car have visable probs like , rear right window not working, rear door lock not working. Got two doors have chip paint and abit of rust. Also there are 3 rubber parts that look very wasted... in need of change.

The shop tell me will do all this up for me. Ofcourse i will ask for black and white.

The other 2 8v models i tried.. one was ok also with minor probs but the other cannot make it, temp spoil, gear cannot reverse(only after a few trys then can ... and some other mech probs.. so i dun even wanna think about it.

Will most probably try another few more b4 really deciding. I guess the more i try the better idea i will have right.

If any Bros have good recommendation pls tell me.

Guest damagecar

If I'm Not wrong, 8v starts from 2nd gear unless u floor the pedal.

16v starts fm 1st gear

E mode / S mode working?

As for Engine , this car i tested seems ok. Idle smooth, temp working properly, cold and hot start oki, aircon ok, no wierd sounds, gear change considered smooth for the cars age. But wat parts have beed changed the shop no say. I think he dun wanna say or really dunno ... But looking at the bay .. the throttle body seems to be wash clean , gasket no big signs of oil leak. the radiator looks newer then the engine. This car have visable probs like , rear right window not working, rear door lock not working. Got two doors have chip paint and abit of rust. Also there are 3 rubber parts that look very wasted... in need of change.

The shop tell me will do all this up for me. Ofcourse i will ask for black and white.

The other 2 8v models i tried.. one was ok also with minor probs but the other cannot make it, temp spoil, gear cannot reverse(only after a few trys then can ... and some other mech probs.. so i dun even wanna think about it.

Will most probably try another few more b4 really deciding. I guess the more i try the better idea i will have right.

Guest nemo

If I'm Not wrong, 8v starts from 2nd gear unless u floor the pedal.

16v starts fm 1st gear

E mode / S mode working?

Wow really? Thats wierd.... kekekeke

Guest nemo

Hey Bro the guys AD is up again. How u think his car in ok condition MECH wise?

Hey bro,

I fully understand your concerns about buying an 200E/E200. Just follow the collective advice of fellow bros who have already spoken and you shouldn't go far wrong.

I think you shouldn't set your expectations too high when viewing W124s. They are after all between 14-20 years of age ('91 - '95). As with all other vehicles you buy, regular service records for the last few years of ownership will help you decide whether or not to purchase the car.

Don't worry too much about the rubber strips/seals. Cosmetic parts are readily available for the W124. As long as you feel comfortable driving the car and don't encounter the problems already listed you shouldn't have to worry. Make sure you set aside 2-3k to do up the car.

Guest nemo

Hey bro,

I fully understand your concerns about buying an 200E/E200. Just follow the collective advice of fellow bros who have already spoken and you shouldn't go far wrong.

I think you shouldn't set your expectations too high when viewing W124s. They are after all between 14-20 years of age ('91 - '95). As with all other vehicles you buy, regular service records for the last few years of ownership will help you decide whether or not to purchase the car.

Don't worry too much about the rubber strips/seals. Cosmetic parts are readily available for the W124. As long as you feel comfortable driving the car and don't encounter the problems already listed you shouldn't have to worry. Make sure you set aside 2-3k to do up the car.

Thanks Bro i will take this advice.

But anybody know which place to go to for cosmetic(one stop place)

I'm not sure if a single place stocks all the cosmetic parts but you can try the following dealers

Surpass Auto Parts Supplies

10 Kaki Bukit Rd 1

#01-33 Singapore 416175

Fax : 67449644

PAS Auto Parts

32 Sin Ming Dr

#01-325 Singapore 575706

Fax : 64527936

Gallop Auto Parts

3 Pemimpin Drive #02-05,

Lip Hing Industrial Building Singapore 576147

Tel: ( 65 ) 6258 7203/ 6258 7204

Fax: ( 65 ) 6258 7395

Email: [email protected]

Suggest you get your mechanic/panel beater contacts to help you fit them on.

Guest nemo

I'm not sure if a single place stocks all the cosmetic parts but you can try the following dealers

Surpass Auto Parts Supplies

10 Kaki Bukit Rd 1

#01-33 Singapore 416175

Fax : 67449644

PAS Auto Parts

32 Sin Ming Dr

#01-325 Singapore 575706

Fax : 64527936

Gallop Auto Parts

3 Pemimpin Drive #02-05,

Lip Hing Industrial Building Singapore 576147

Tel: ( 65 ) 6258 7203/ 6258 7204

Fax: ( 65 ) 6258 7395

Email: [email protected]

Suggest you get your mechanic/panel beater contacts to help you fit them on.

Fantastic info thank a lot Bro! These are workshops too right! :clap:

Guest nemo

For Interior Cushions, door Panels, Can try Sin Gay Seng Co. Blk 17 Sin Ming Industrial Estate, #01-51. The Old folks there do it patiently. :)

Oh Nice... and good too cause most of the shop near my place.. i stay Hougang..

For Interior Cushions, door Panels, Can try Sin Gay Seng Co. Blk 17 Sin Ming Industrial Estate, #01-51. The Old folks there do it patiently. :)

Hahaha bro you would be most familiar! You should open restoration service. :apwink: