• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Tips on maintaining the White for a GLC250

HeyStuart

14 hours ago, HeyStuart said:

Any tips on maintaining the polar white for a GLC250? Whats the frequency of car wash, polish + wax for a new car? My SE actually told me not to do any waxing or polishing for the first year. 

Likely ur car is coated w sealant when delivery. Depends if u park outdoor often then may need to do sealant again before end of 1 year. 

On 12/1/2017 at 6:37 PM, HeyStuart said:

Any tips on maintaining the polar white for a GLC250? Whats the frequency of car wash, polish + wax for a new car? My SE actually told me not to do any waxing or polishing for the first year. 

" My SE actually told me not to do any waxing or polishing for the first year" likely you may already have some form of paint protection which is why no need to wax or polish (max 6 months). check with your se if there is anty form of sealant/paint protection on your car. 

white may be the easiest color to maintain as it doesnt have any visual depth or reflectivity so it wont look dull. this makes it the most boring color, no matter how much polish or wax you apply, you wont get any visual depth or reflectivity. :)

Your main concern is a yellowish white so to keep it white, i would suggest, weekly washes followed by some kind of spray wax as protection.

after the first 6 months, do a clay, polish (to clean ) and wax (to protect) every 6 months (or a year max) with weekly washes followed spray wax. diy or go to a pro, detail lab is good.

of course, remove any tree sap or bird droppings immediately when see spot them .

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, HeyStuart said:

Your SE is wrong.

Maybe your SE meant that no need to polish. Most likely already polished before handing the car to you.

Polishing is abrasive on the clearcoat, to remove light scratches, swirls, stains (if not too deep).
Depending on how you wash the car, how often you wash, where you park, you may need to do polish once every 4 to 12months.

Wax/Sealant is a protective layer on top of the clearcoat. Like a sacrificial layer. Should be applied after every wash or after every 2 washes as wax/sealant will wear out due to rain, car wash, dirt.

Coating is also a layer on top of clearcoat. Supposed to last longer than wax/sealant.

I'd recommend weekly car wash with the correct wash technique and equipment so as to minimise swirl marks. Sealant/Wax after every car wash. Polish every 6 to 12 months once you have collected enough swirl marks.

White cars even more so you should wash often to prevent staining. On white cars, dirty water marks below some areas such as door handles, are more obvious compared to other colours. The issue of bumpers becoming yellowish (compared to the car body) is more obvious on white cars, and wax/sealant can help a little with this issue.

20 hours ago, HeyStuart said:

Thanks all! Wished I got a black one instead haha at least I do not have the worry about it turning yellow.

Haha. A black car is nuch harder to maintain.  This is a quote from one of the detailing forums: 

"I own a silver vehicle, and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing, and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant, while the silver one (new) demands nothing and it looks just fine. I am beginning to think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...