• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Battery Problem Sum Question

Had always wanted to ask this.

A original merc 80AH AGM battery will cost close to $400 at stockist excl installation.( $500+ at CnC)

The closet oem avail, Varta AGM 80AH is $330+-.

A normal 80AH battery without AGM is $200+-

Suppose the expected life span of original battery is 2 years, Varta AGM is 1.8yrs and normal battery only 1 year.

Which would you get? and what's your rationale?

NO pass or fail for this question so don't worry about the grades.

As for me, I am inclined towards original merc battery as it would mean absolute compatibiliy for noobs like me even though cost is higher.

Comments appreciated. Look forward to hear from senior bros here.

Thanks bro, noticed that too. 

BTW, there's a transparent tube for the original merc battery. Anyone has any idea what's that?

No sure if the varta oem battery has that. Doesn't seem to recall seeing oem battery having that. Anyone can share if you know what's that transparent small little plastic tube.

BTW, there's a transparent tube for the original merc battery. Anyone has any idea what's that?....

I think u are refering to the device for quick visual check of the level of Electrolyte (battery acid) within the battery.

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports

"First to BATA (Varta) then to school!) :)

Battery Problem Sum gets more complicated!

No 2 brands of the same battery type & capacity has the same cycle life 

Even the same battery brand and type there's also a little different in cycle life

Cycle life is the numbers of cycle the battery will go through before it kaput; i.e 1 discharge & charge is term as 1 cycle.

Car battery in battery industrial term is known as "Starter Battery"

The term is very appropriate cos the primary usage of the car battery is use to crank the starter motor & to start the engine and do nothing else.

Then there are many bright people use the single car battery for other usage like high powered car audio system, dc/ac inverter, get the battery to do video recording in parking mode, etc soon they used up all the cycle life of the battery and kpkb why their battery life "so short"

I used to run high powered car audio system of 5000 watts RMS - one battery in front solely for starting the engine & isolated by a battery isolator with 3 batteries in the trunk run by a High Output 300 Ampere Alternator with external voltage regulator

Beside the 70AH, 80AH, 100AH ampere hr capacity, there's another specification call CCA - cold cranking ampere.

The problem sum eventually becomes more problematic :)

Lucky we are in the tropics and with modern car engines no more using of carburettors, our engine usually start almost immediately after a few cranks. 

If you ask me what brand of car battery I use.

If I know my battery is getting weak, I will go to Khai Wah and get an equilvalent original Varta Battery replacement.

If the battery will to die on me suddenly (likely caused by an internal short circuit in the plates),

I will call AA and get a Hoppecke replacement on the spot (cheaper mah)

• Like 3

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BTW, there's a transparent tube for the original merc battery. Anyone has any idea what's that?

No sure if the varta oem battery has that. Doesn't seem to recall seeing oem battery having that. Anyone can share if you know what's that transparent small little plastic tube.

During battery charging, the hydrogen gas generated is dangerous in enclosed spaces. (rear trunk)

So Mercedes put a gas-vent tube to the battery and let it these gases flow to the exterior of the car. 

If the battery is located in the front, no need for gas-vent-tube.

• Like 1

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

Seems like one is made in Germany, another Europe..

Correct....the black "Sliver Dynamic" is Made in Europe.

The grey "Silver Dynamic" is Made in Germany.

If there are no different in prices, I will take the grey one.....

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, Boo_saa said:

Where is the best WS to get my batt change?

My usual place for battery change is Khai Wah.

They sell original Varta car batteries for our MBs

http://www.khaiwah.com.sg/contact-us.html

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

My battery died this morning. Called up 3 different stockist near Sin Ming area. Price range from $290 to $370 before GST. Naturally went for the $290. Went to a workshop near the stockist place and replaced it @ $20. Labour could be cheaper if I went to my usual workshop but not worth the effort.

Driving W176 A200. Got the original Varta with AGM 70Ah.