• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Good and bad for extending your Coe for 10 years more

Cons of extending for 10 years:

Increased road tax every year by 10% till age of car is 15 years old.

I heard you can only buy 3rd party insurance.

You feel shitty looking at all those newer cars next to you.

Pros:

You feel good looking at the guy driving the new car and smirk to yourself how he is going to have to save on parking charges to pay the next month's loan instalment.

You do not have to sign up a huge loan and pay an effective interest rate of 6%

You can nap on Saturday afternoons instead of waxing your new car . . again.

You don't care if your wife decides to buy fish and durians when you send her to the market. 

You do not worry too much where you park and whether some idiot might open his/her doors too carelessly and dent your car.

You look up and thank the stars when you hear a screeching sound and found that some clown has just ran into your back and now you can get a free re-spray of that rear bumper.

Each time you feel a violent vibration when driving, you wonder if a major breakdown is imminent.

The money you save from the monthly installments can go towards buying blue chip shares and after 5 years you have saved and maybe made a 20% asset appreciation, enough to buy the W206.

Heehee, joke a bit, sorry  .   .   .   But I think in 10 years time, car ownership will be so damn exorbitant that car ownership will no longer be a talking point, just look at Hong Kong today.  

• Like 1

If your car is cat a, it will stay in cat a when u renew, not cat b despite it having bigger bhp.

Assuming the parf is 16k (for c180), extending with around 55k pqp only result in total 7.1k annual dep, compared to a new c of 15k.

For those taking loan... Dun underestimate the interest.. Easily few k to tens of k... unless u pay full for the car..and that may mean opportunity costs in, say, the relatively cheaper stock market now.

And yes...that 7.1k...got spare change even if u budget 5k for repairs annually.

Issue I see, is being old car, may need more trips to workshop, and/or die on roadside the least expected, such as faulty alternator.

Unless, u don't mind going Jap or Korean...

Cons of extending for 10 years:

Increased road tax every year by 10% till age of car is 15 years old.

I heard you can only buy 3rd party insurance.

You feel shitty looking at all those newer cars next to you.

Pros:

You feel good looking at the guy driving the new car and smirk to yourself how he is going to have to save on parking charges to pay the next month's loan instalment.

You do not have to sign up a huge loan and pay an effective interest rate of 6%

You can nap on Saturday afternoons instead of waxing your new car . . again.

You don't care if your wife decides to buy fish and durians when you send her to the market. 

You do not worry too much where you park and whether some idiot might open his/her doors too carelessly and dent your car.

You look up and thank the stars when you hear a screeching sound and found that some clown has just ran into your back and now you can get a free re-spray of that rear bumper.

Each time you feel a violent vibration when driving, you wonder if a major breakdown is imminent.

The money you save from the monthly installments can go towards buying blue chip shares and after 5 years you have saved and maybe made a 20% asset appreciation, enough to buy the W206.

Heehee, joke a bit, sorry  .   .   .   But I think in 10 years time, car ownership will be so damn exorbitant that car ownership will no longer be a talking point, just look at Hong Kong today.  

Hahaha..good one...

I have decided to get an 1996 E200 to replaced my current 9.5 years old ride.

Been looking out for one at SGCARMART but no luck so far...

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

Hahaha..good one...

I have decided to get an 1996 E200 to replaced my current 9.5 years old ride.

Been looking out for one at SGCARMART but no luck so far...

May not be able to find easily

MB manufactured between 96-98 suffer from wiring problem due to the use of Eco-friendly wiring cable.

Many of these wires start to disintegrate causing short circuit.

• Like 1

I think Mercedes-Benz are built to last. I will support coe renewal if ur car is not giving you any problem. If u are not those fancy about new model kind. And just want a point A - B vehicle. COE renewal is quite low operating cost compare to a brand new.

But of Cos the feeling is different driving an 10 years car compare to brand new la

I think Mercedes-Benz are built to last. I will support coe renewal if ur car is not giving you any problem. If u are not those fancy about new model kind. And just want a point A - B vehicle. COE renewal is quite low operating cost compare to a brand new.

But of Cos the feeling is different driving an 10 years car compare to brand new la

Agreed...hoping able to find owner selling their E200 one day..hahaha. :lol:

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

Even if the pqp shoot to 100k, your depre will only be 11-12k annually. Compare that to a new C180 at a lower coe now of 45k.. Selling at 161k with depre around 16k.

The old workhorse is still cheaper.

And yes.. If u miss that 'new car smell', Amazon has the solution..

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-AIR10116-Freshener-Eliminator/dp/B002J7VX4Y#Ask

5 years renewal .. it gives you a chance to change your mind later on ...

Never renewal for 5yrs. You are left with no choice after 5yrs. At least 10years coe if you want to get rid there are still buyer. Even if you change your mind after even 1 yr of coe renewal. If coe become real low and you intend to buy new car you can just scrap it and get prorated coe rebate.

Never renewal for 5yrs. You are left with no choice after 5yrs. At least 10years coe if you want to get rid there are still buyer. Even if you change your mind after even 1 yr of coe renewal. If coe become real low and you intend to buy new car you can just scrap it and get prorated coe rebate.

That is right.  Great advice!!!

If you renew for 5 years, the only 'change of mind' you can have is if you want to scrap before 5 years CoE extension is up.  After 5 years, compulsory scrap.