• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Is owning a Merc worthwhile to you?

heidtb

I find my merc lousy when I need to go workshop for repair

Why got so many sensors here and there for what !

Here got error code there got error code....

jin jia jialat leh

But when I on the NSHW, I find that my Merc is damn shiok leh

160km/h...... zai zai with more to go

From there, those minor issues nevermind leow :)

Some of the features on Merc feels a bit "over-engineering".

Eco mode must switch off everytime you start the car.

Air con circulation have to switch back on every time the car switch it off by itself. 

Feels like the driver is listening to the car rather than car obey driver.

Some features like HID/Xenon comes standard on an asian car but on a B&B Merc you still get yellow bulbs

I got saved by the anti-collision sensor once, and it's enough for me to love the car very much. lol.

Auntie driver cannot decide whether to cross traffic light, sudden dash and then E-Stop during yellow lights!

If not for the anti-collision I would have rear-headed her, but at that point of time the sensor kicked in and my car stopped just short of hitting her. Of course I was not speeding too else whatever sensor also no use.

Boils down to your wants and needs.

Buying anything branded.

Do you need it? No.

Do you want it? Yes.

There's your answer. For those who say few $K difference between Conti and Jap cars is not much, do bear in mind to some it's still a lot of money.

Actually, nowadays Merc has become a more value for money car than the Japanese.

For example, a almost full spec Merc B-class with all the safety features is selling less than a Toyota Harrier with the same features.

You can't compare a B-Class to a Harrier. Both are difference classes of vehicles. B-Class is an entry level hatch back where else the Harrier is a mid size SUV. A fair comparison to the Harrier would be the GLC with a base starting pice of over $400k.

I chose Merz bcos of its Reliability.

Owned W121, W211 and now W212 FL..

Previous 2 were C&C. Self-imported this one.

I realized 18 years of E-Class from C&C did not benefit me. Have been paying C&C "premium" car price plus their "premium" servicing price just to keep them warrantied.

Afterall, did not claim anything from C&C for 18 years. Hence, took a turn towards self-importing it this time. Fingers crossed from now.. :phew:

I don't think it is a matter of worth.

And I think its never worth owning a car in Singapore anyway.  :notfair:

• Like 2

Some of the features on Merc feels a bit "over-engineering".

Eco mode must switch off everytime you start the car.

Air con circulation have to switch back on every time the car switch it off by itself. 

Feels like the driver is listening to the car rather than car obey driver.

Some features like HID/Xenon comes standard on an asian car but on a B&B Merc you still get yellow bulbs

Hi Asuma,

Let me share with regard to your various points.

1) Eco mode must switch off everytime you start the car.

- IMHO, this is very subjective.  For example, I personality prefer to drive in Eco mode so the auto-on suits me well.  When in "foul mode" or "fun mode", I will switch it off.  Am sure am not alone on this.

2) Air con circulation have to switch back on every time the car switch it off by itself.

- Here's the reason and important to know why.

As we all know, recirculation draws in the interior air and typically works best once the vehicle has reached its desired temperature. We need to have the habit of switching to fresh air when we first switch on the A/C (circulation off mode), and then switch to recirculation after 5 or 10 minutes*.  Of course, recirculation is recommended when stuck in traffic as it prevents carbon monoxide emissions from other vehicles being pulled into our car.

I personality let it be on off-mode for about 5mins or I start the car (or driving) before I switched it to off and back t circulation mode.

*Quote/Unquote: Because the air inside your car has already been used by occupants, it is heavily laden with moisture and depleted of oxygen. The result: Grogginess or a lessening of awareness, which can hinder your concentration and safe driving ability. If the ambient conditions are right, it also can fog up your windows, decreasing visibility. On the other hand, fresh air is just that – fresh, highly oxygenated air with no second-hand moisture.

The reason stated by quote/unquote - is also the reason why when we switch the circulation on, about 30mins later it will auto switch off circulation, part of safety feature and it has its merits.

3) Feels like the driver is listening to the car rather than car obey driver.

- The statement lost me, apologies.  Or are you refering to "fun" and driver-machine-as-one? If yes, turn off your ESP or whatever stabiliser thingy :)

4) Some features like HID/Xenon comes standard on an asian car but on a B&B Merc you still get yellow bulbs

- Standard on Asian made applies not to their base model.

Cents worth,

• Like 2

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports

Hello bro.. U didn't even go thru any PI?

Is there any procedure available somewhere on the Web?

Well, the LTA Web indicates what are the payables at each stage. Pretty standard.

I decided to purchase from C&C will mean going against my comfort zone.... I.e. full Risk or don't risk at all AND pay more or save as much as possible.

Tedious part, which PI will need to be paid will be the procedures and going thru all paperwork with LTA including homologation etc.

Went thru the process with the car sitting at home for months is a real pain... See it everyday but can't use it.

Source it, buy it, follow the registration procedures as stated in the LTA web, that's it.

• Like 1

I can't answer you this question. There are too many merc models around, too many reasons why people want to buy one. Obviously the rationale of buying a B class would be different from buying an SLK for e.g.

But in Singapore's context, at the current prices Lexus, Audi and BMW are asking for, the Merc often seems like better value. For e.g. Audis are priced at a huge premium in Singapore, while in Europe the Audi would certainly be priced lower than equivalent Merc or BMW.

Why did I choose my current A class? It was going for a good price at that time. Much cheaper than the A3 or BMW 1 series. In Europe though the A3 is competitively priced and I would probably have gotten that if i were European...

I got saved by the anti-collision sensor once, and it's enough for me to love the car very much. lol.

Auntie driver cannot decide whether to cross traffic light, sudden dash and then E-Stop during yellow lights!

If not for the anti-collision I would have rear-headed her, but at that point of time the sensor kicked in and my car stopped just short of hitting her. Of course I was not speeding too else whatever sensor also no use.

May I ask what model you driving?

Maybe my C180K don't seemed to have this sensor leh... many times I had to brake so hard not to rear-headed someone... lol..

For me branding, resale value, etc were never factors of consideration or part of the worthiness metric. What really matter to me is the reliability and hassle-free ownership. During the warranty period, I'm in love with the car and its high in my worthiness index. After warranty period ended, car started having all kinds of small issues. Now 5th year bigger problems of time-bomb nature started plaguing the car, already in and out of workshops close to 10 times this year. Inevitably, It is so low on my index right now and if not for the crazy coe price I would be selling it off. 

Some bros are right - its never worth while to own car in singapore becoz its expensive to buy n maintain (inclusive of car park, insurance petrol etc)

But then again to some itz necessary to own a car for practical reasons.... the type of car whether worth it or not is really subjective and up to individual to decide cos its dependz on a lot of individual factors....

I have driven a Suzuki Swift Gti, Peugeot 306XR, Peugeot 206, Toyota Picnic and VW Scirocco 1.4 before getting my W204..... overall all cars driven by me feels good.... cos I take extremely good care of them and they gave me a wonderful enjoyable ride......it was a pleasurd to have owned them.

But I have always liked the Merc brand.....and for me to own one is a dream come true....in fact if I can ever afford a high end pefformance car I wont consider a Lamborghini or Ferrari or Porsche.... I would go for the AMG C63...its performance isnt too far off from an average Lambo, Ferrari or Porsche.... 0- 100km/h in 3.8 - 3.9 secs

Thats good enough for me....

all boils down to individual bro whether the car is worth it or not

• Like 1

Interesting comments by all the bros and sis if any.

End of the day owning a Merc is for the luxury. I wished they could add a better drive and handling to it for their bnb models then would no longer be just luxury but a basic requirement.

Not stating any particular brand but I feel there are other brand cheaper/equal that drive and handle better. An analogy would be our merc feels like a person who just wants to take his time and do things in is own time rather than yolo or driven by the driven slogon

I wished they could add a better drive and handling to it for their bnb models then would no longer be just luxury but a basic requirement.

This would be tough as nothing is free in this world. If they added a better drive and handling to their bnb models then the selling price will increase inevitably. With the popularity of Merc today, asking the seller to reduce profit margins to truly give you a better drive and handling is wishful thinking at best.

This would be tough as nothing is free in this world. If they added a better drive and handling to their bnb models then the selling price will increase inevitably. With the popularity of Merc today, asking the seller to reduce profit margins to truly give you a better drive and handling is wishful thinking at best.

But then market share will increase even more and people will start to buy into the best or nothing

Interesting comments by all the bros and sis if any.

End of the day owning a Merc is for the luxury. I wished they could add a better drive and handling to it for their bnb models then would no longer be just luxury but a basic requirement.

Not stating any particular brand but I feel there are other brand cheaper/equal that drive and handle better. An analogy would be our merc feels like a person who just wants to take his time and do things in is own time rather than yolo or driven by the driven slogon

Even for merc bnb models, I will say the drive and handling are sufficient if not better than most cheaper alternatives. Of course you can't expect a B-Class to handle as well as a Golf GTI, it's a different class totally.

But I have seen in recent Taiwan review that a A250 is handling as good as a GTI, only conclusion is that it is not worth paying so much more for a A250 over a GTI, and GTI wins the vote at the end. But in Singapore, a A250 costs less than a Golf GTI, making it a clear winner!

Perhaps some improvements are required at the refinement of the bnb models, such as a rough engine and gear boxes (though it has been proven they are reliable). But if you are looking at refined and luxury models, Merc has C class and above to cater to you.

Ah Bui uncle, you win again. I believe your reason is the same for most of the merc owner

want value for $$$.... buy a Jipun car... anything else is just your own demon manipulation.... All those crap of better branding... better suspension... better this better that... end of the day, it's because I WANT TO SHOW OFF!!!..... simple as that..... Pocket bo lui nehmind....

• Like 1

Victoria Concordia Crescit

Translation: Victory grows out of harmony.