• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Upgrade spk & amp

Guest lloyd

Hi all,planning to change my w204 stock spk a better one.

Can i install 3 way component spk without any drilling on a-pillar and dash board?Or must i stick to 2 way.

My choice of spk~Focal,**dyna audio**,apline,DSL,CDT,Rainbow,Genesis.But then what amp should i match it with?

I can't afford a processor right now and wouldn't want to add sub woofer so my front spk need to be solid enough.

I'm only can spend 2k+ for front component spk and 2 or 4 channel amp,rear spk not necessary.

Thanks young man...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Llyod!

3 way = custom job.

What sort of music do you listen to ? Better if you could sit in a couple of cars and listen to the different speakers and setups before deciding ? :) Problem is once you sit in well setup ones like kepiting1sg's your wallet is going to be raped.

Guest kepiting1sg

Hey Llyod!

3 way = custom job.

What sort of music do you listen to ? Better if you could sit in a couple of cars and listen to the different speakers and setups before deciding ? :) Problem is once you sit in well setup ones like kepiting1sg's your wallet is going to be raped.

How can that be???...My HU is >11 years old....hehehehe :tongue1: :tongue1: :tongue1:

Hi Llyod,

IMHO,

If U are "willing to spend" on speakers U might wanna consider Focal Be, Brax Matrix, Micro Precision 7, Rainbow Reference

Amps that seems to be "popular" are Genesis Series 3 & Tru-Tech.

Guest kepiting1sg

Yes .....after i had sit in both g8crasher and Batam Cheem's car, pocket burn a hole too.....

Dangerous....but am happy being poison. hahaa.....

Nice to hear a happily poisoned guy....hehehehe!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey Llyod!

3 way = custom job.

Mainly female vocal 50%,jazz 15%,classical 15%,male vocal 5%,rock 5%,techno 5%,others 5%.

I'll try to avoid any audition and listening in others setups,this will affect my initial budget.I can just follow blindly what the xpert recommand here,won't be too far to attain gd audio music right?

Right now i need to get the right spk and amp to save the trouble/cost for upgrading in future,maybe can stretch my budget to 3k.Intend to add processor and sub when my wallet is too small that i need to use rubber band to tie my notes.

Shippment for rims/tyres and BBK will arrive in 2 weeks,so cannot everything ppl have i also want!

Batam Cheem ]

Hey Llyod!

3 way = custom job.

What sort of music do you listen to ? Better if you could sit in a couple of cars and listen to the different speakers and setups before deciding ? :) Problem is once you sit in well setup ones like kepiting1sg' wrote:

How can that be???...My HU is >11 years old....hehehehe :tongue1: :tongue1: :tongue1:

Hi Llyod,

IMHO,

If U are "willing to spend" on speakers U might wanna consider Focal Be, Brax Matrix, Micro Precision 7, Rainbow Reference

Amps that seems to be "popular" are Genesis Series 3 & Tru-Tech.

Ok lah,i guess Focal Be match with Genesis 3/Tru-Tech should be of audiophile standard.Any idea which ICE-cream stall carry these items and price range(2~3k)) for spk & amp combo meal?Thanks.

Ok lah,i guess Focal Be match with Genesis 3/Tru-Tech should be of audiophile standard.Any idea which ICE-cream stall carry these items and price range(2~3k)) for spk & amp combo meal?Thanks.

Bro, come down later lah.. we have cars with Micro Precision driven by Genesis & TruTech... Enjoy...

Guest kepiting1sg

Here is a lists of ICE Cream sellers in S'pore

http://www.sgmerc.com/forum/index.php?topic=2131.0

Currently pop on the ICE scene - New Generation, Audio Edge, Chuan Sing, Kingsway

My installer is Swift Motion.

huh, sat in your beemm, feel in heaven liao, but not 7th heaven yet... unker's batam is sure is!!! :punk1:

hmmm your Eee which floor?? hehehe :clap: :clap:

Jenvid E's are real heaven comparing his Bimmer la......

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed focal 165K2P and Steg 2 channel(105wx2) at chuang sing.They got no stock for apline 701 processor,recommand rockford processor(1k+++).Heard from him it can adjust time alingment,bring up the sound stage* and produce better quality music.

Why i ask its because there's no review here on this product,already brain wash from folks here abt the 701 or pionner.

Thanks.

Guest kepiting1sg

Just installed focal 165K2P and Steg 2 channel(105wx2) at chuang sing.They got no stock for apline 701 processor,recommand rockford processor(1k+++).Heard from him it can adjust time alingment,bring up the sound stage* and produce better quality music.

Why i ask its because there's no review here on this product,already brain wash from folks here abt the 701 or pionner.

Thanks.

IMHO,

Listen to what you have now first.

With your 165K@P and Steg 2 amp you are playing with passive with the Focal stock X-overs.

When you go into Time Alignment, you will most probably be playing active 2 ways.

That mean you will need IMHO the Alpine 701 processor and another 2 channel of amp power and counting

another amp for your sub if you are going to use 1.

Congrats on your ICE upgrade anyway! :thumbsup:

'another 2 channel of amp power'...is to drive my tweeter?Then 1st piece of 2 channel amp is for mid correct?

'and counting another amp for sub if you are going to use 1'...means in total must spend another 3K :-\

I better listen to what i have first :surrender:

Thanks again Master of :devil2:

Guest kepiting1sg

'another 2 channel of amp power'...is to drive my tweeter?Then 1st piece of 2 channel amp is for mid correct?

'and counting another amp for sub if you are going to use 1'...means in total must spend another 3K :-\

I better listen to what i have first :surrender:

Thanks again Master of :devil2:

Better to let the ICE poison slowly sipped in rather then to take it in 1 big dosage! ;)

Batam Cheem ]

Why i ask its because there' wrote:

IMHO,

Listen to what you have now first.

With your 165K@P and Steg 2 amp you are playing with passive with the Focal stock X-overs.

When you go into Time Alignment, you will most probably be playing active 2 ways.

That mean you will need IMHO the Alpine 701 processor and another 2 channel of amp power and counting

another amp for your sub if you are going to use 1.

Congrats on your ICE upgrade anyway! :thumbsup:

I feel that the mid bass for my focal K2P is quite solid,maybe its install in a merc.My previous jap car don't have this feel when i use CDT Euro sports.

I believe after installing a sub it will be world of difference!

Can't wait after CNY liao...intend to install a 12 inch sub with custom box powered by an amp at the boot or at least a 10 inch.

Qs 1 ~ Can i use a class D/M?/H? mono instead of bridging a 2 channel class AB amp(steg 155wx2) which recommend by installer?

Qs 2 ~ Amp output must be greater than sub correct?

Qs 3 ~ Which combination of focal sub or whatever matches which amp?Slightly higer than entry level(<$1500).

Qs 4 ~ I understand that 12" can give lower frequency note than 10" but don't think my CDs are recordings with double bass,big China/Japanese drums and jurasic park.Heard from friends that 10" got more punch and sounds louder,is it true??

Thanks for your antidote

hahaha welcome to the point of no return.....

IMHO for your car's application, 12" better. 10" might be too small.

It's important to ensure both match each others ratings. Is the subwoofer you will be running a 2 ohm or 4 ohm ? If normal 4 ohm, most bridged amplifiers can leow. If 2 ohm DVC (dual voice coil) for SQ, prepare to spend on a mono that will run stable 2 ohm loads.

In subwoofer applications, it's very important to consider the enclosure type. This will affect the overall output. Generally speaking, there are ported boxes and sealed boxes. Ported boxes tend produce "boomy" bass whereas sealed boxes sound "tighter".

Guest kepiting1sg

I feel that the mid bass for my focal K2P is quite solid,maybe its install in a merc.My previous jap car don't have this feel when i use CDT Euro sports.

I believe after installing a sub it will be world of difference!

Can't wait after CNY liao...intend to install a 12 inch sub with custom box powered by an amp at the boot or at least a 10 inch.

Qs 1 ~ Can i use a class D/M?/H? mono instead of bridging a 2 channel class AB amp(steg 155wx2) which recommend by installer?

Qs 2 ~ Amp output must be greater than sub correct?

Qs 3 ~ Which combination of focal sub or whatever matches which amp?Slightly higer than entry level(<$1500).

Qs 4 ~ I understand that 12" can give lower frequency note than 10" but don't think my CDs are recordings with double bass,big China/Japanese drums and jurasic park.Heard from friends that 10" got more punch and sounds louder,is it true??

Thanks for your antidote

IMHO,

Q1 - Yes!

Q2 - Not necessary but better to have more than less.

Q3 - I always recommend people to use Image Dynamic IDMax if not IDQ. IDQ usually takes up less box space.

Focal make good subs too and also JL. Your installer will know what amp to match your sub selection.

Psychologically, I would think you better chose a Focal sub. Then you will probably satisfy yourself over timbre of the matching speakers

Q4 - Go for the 12" and U dun come back later to regret when U have chosen a 10". When all things are equal off course a 12" will sound louder than a 10" becos of the cone surface area.

The main reason for chosing a 12" becos it will usually go lower in Hz and deeper than a 10".

Welcum to the poisoned ICE club!!!! ;) ;D

hahaha welcome to the point of no return.....

IMHO for your car's application, 12" better. 10" might be too small.

Ok lah 2" more only,not pain hor :yumyum: I mean not pain to my pocket/wallet.

It's important to ensure both match each others ratings. Is the subwoofer you will be running a 2 ohm or 4 ohm ? If normal 4 ohm, most bridged amplifiers can leow. If 2 ohm DVC (dual voice coil) for SQ, prepare to spend on a mono that will run stable 2 ohm loads.

Ok will remember your advise,noted.

In subwoofer applications, it's very important to consider the enclosure type. This will affect the overall output. Generally speaking, there are ported boxes and sealed boxes. Ported boxes tend produce "boomy" bass whereas sealed boxes sound "tighter".

Will go for the sealed box.Actually previous 2 car also use sealed box never try ported before,what the advantage of ported since its bigger and more material used?

Guest kepiting1sg

Image Dynamic IDMax if not IDQ

Can you estimate(agar agar) the price for each of this sub with sealed box,thanks.

And power rating like ohms and watts to feed this subs.

Nowadays I dunno who is carrying the IDMax & IDQ subs in Singapore.

ID subs dun cost an arm or leg. ;D

U might check with your installer or U can try at SLS

IMHO, the IDMax Ver 3.0 should cost abt. $500+ with box below $500 depending what type of material & installer.

BTW IDMax is very suitable for free air installation & doesn't really need a box.

I m using IDMax myself and installed it free air in my W203

IDQ should cost less than 1/2 the price of IDMax.

Here's the link to the IDMax & IDQ specs.

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products.php?Family_Id=4&Product_Id=21

Looks under IDMax12V3D2 & IDQ12V3D2

If U used either of this sub, look for a class D amp that goes down to 1 ohm stable.

A Class D amp around 1000WRMS @ 1 ohm should drive the IDMax pretty decently.

Whereas 500WRMS should be enough to drive the IDQ

Class D amps are "designed" for sub application and are more efficient than Class AB amp due to less heat loss.